IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Politics > World Politics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Blasphemy Rights Day.  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blasphemy Rights Day.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blasphemy Rights Day.
    Posted: 03 October 2015 at 3:00am

"While many perceive 'blasphemy' as offensive, this event is not intended to ridicule and insult others. Rather, it was created as a reaction against those who would seek to take away the right to satirize and criticize a particular set of beliefs given a privileged status over other beliefs."

The campaign group added that observing Blasphemy Day "is a way of showing opposition to any resolutions or laws, binding or otherwise, which discourage or inhibit freedom of speech of any kind."

They add that "Freedom of expression, including the right to criticize any belief, religious, political, or otherwise, is the only way in which any nation with any modicum of freedom can exist.

I am trying to understand the massive reatcion such things seem to have in the Islamic world. Please tell me why this offends.

More at; http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2015/09/new-us-free-expression-campaign-website-launched-for-international-blasphemy-rights-day

Warning, it's from the secular society's web site.

Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2015 at 12:11pm
Please tell me why others doing stuff or believing stuff which has no impact on your life causes offense. I just don't get it.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2015 at 7:08am
Tim I believe you are thoughtful and intelligent, therefore, let's just say, indeed, "the devil is in the details."
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2015 at 7:37am
Originally posted by abuayisha abuayisha wrote:

Tim I believe you are thoughtful and intelligent, therefore, let's just say, indeed, "the devil is in the details."

That explains nothing to me. I might be cleverish at some stuff but criptic cross words I cannot do at all.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2015 at 8:25am
Perhaps you may want to unpack "doing stuff" and "believing stuff"...such are the details wherein one may come to understand why people are offended, or explain a possible rationale.

Edited by abuayisha - 06 October 2015 at 8:27am
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2015 at 12:04pm

Perhaps you may want to unpack "doing stuff" and "believing stuff"...such are the details wherein one may come to understand why people are offended, or explain a possible rationale.

Today there is war in Syria where Muslims are killing each other over a difference in the version of Islam they have that I cannot even grasp. That offends me massively.

With such horror in the world why would anybody spend any time caring about what somebody else said that you did not actually hear and has no effect upon you at all?

abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2015 at 7:58am
Originally posted by Tim the plumber Tim the plumber wrote:

why would anybody spend any time caring about what somebody else said that you did not actually hear and has no effect upon you at all?

Is this rhetorical question written in defense of Blasphemy Day?
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2015 at 11:36am

Originally posted by Tim the plumber Tim the plumber wrote:

why would anybody spend any time caring about what somebody else said that you did not actually hear and has no effect upon you at all?

Is this rhetorical question written in defense of Blasphemy Day?

No. I am truely unable to comprehend the issue.

It's like being told somebody has cast a spell against me or that somebody has burnt my country's flag. I hope they enjoyed it! I will not be taking any notice of it.

Waisting serious time on such a thing is just pointless. It would make me look st**id at best.

Edited by Tim the plumber - 08 October 2015 at 11:36am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic