IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Question about a hadith  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question about a hadith

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about a hadith
    Posted: 23 September 2015 at 5:40am
Salaam alaikum to my Muslim friends and fellow posters. I am wondering what are your thoughts on the hadith below.

It is narrated on the authority of Abu Dharr that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) one day said:

Do you know where the sun goes? They replied: Allah and His Apostle know best. He (the Holy Prophet) observed: Verily it (the sun) glides till it reaches its resting place under the Throne. Then it falls prostrate and remains there until it is asked: Rise up and go to the place whence you came, and it goes back and continues emerging out from its rising place and then glides till it reaches its place of rest under the Throne and falls prostrate and remains in that state until it is asked: Rise up and return to the place whence you came, and it returns and emerges out from it rising place and the it glides (in such a normal way) that the people do not discern anything ( unusual in it) till it reaches its resting place under the Throne. Then it would be said to it: Rise up and emerge out from the place of your setting, and it will rise from the place of its setting. The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said. Do you know when it would happen? It would happen at the time when faith will not benefit one who has not previously believed or has derived no good from the faith.
http://sunnah.com/muslim/1/306

The sun is described as "gliding" to a place of rest under God's throne, where it prostrates and remains in a certain place until it is told to rise and go to it's "rising place", from where it emerges and glides until it reaches its place of rest under God's throne, then it is told to rise, goes to its rising place, and continues doing this until on day God will tell it to emerge from its place of setting.

This teaching, if I understand correctly, was given to Abu Darr when he and Muhammad were at a mosque and they observed the sun setting, and Muhammad asked him if he knows where the sun "goes".

Narrated Abu Dharr:

I entered the mosque while Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) was sitting there. When the sun had set, the Prophet (ﷺ) said, "O Abu Dharr! Do you know where this (sun) goes?" I said, "Allah and His Apostle know best." He said, "It goes and asks permission to prostrate, and it is allowed, and (one day) it, as if being ordered to return whence it came, then it will rise from the west." Then the Prophet (ﷺ) recited, "That: "And the sun runs on its fixed course (for a term decreed)," (36.38) as it is recited by `Abdullah.

http://sunnah.com/bukhari/97/52

Some questions I have.

- Why did Muhammad state that the sun has "a rising place", when there is no such thing? We know that it is the earth that goes around the sun, and what we refer to as "sunrise" and "sunset" have nothing to do with the movement of the sun and there is no "place" that the sun goes to in order to rise or set.

- If one of the signs of the end of the world is dependent on the sun doing something that it is incapable of (emerging from the "place of its setting"- a location that does not exist, given that the sun does not really "rise" or "set" from any place), what does this say about this particular prophecy?

I hope I am not being offensive or rude, but if anyone would like to discuss or debate or challenge me on what I have written and provide your input, I would be very interested. Take care and God bless.
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2015 at 3:29am
Originally posted by TG12345 TG12345 wrote:

Some questions I have.

- Why did Muhammad state that the sun has "a rising place", when there is no such thing? We know that it is the earth that goes around the sun, and what we refer to as "sunrise" and "sunset" have nothing to do with the movement of the sun and there is no "place" that the sun goes to in order to rise or set.

As always your understanding is in question.
People generally refer to sunrise and sunset because when one is standing on the earth it looks as if the sun has risen. This is how people understand the morning and dusk.

The Earth does not go around the Sun. The earth is stationary, it's the Sun, the Moon and the Stars that fo around the stationary earth.

- If one of the signs of the end of the world is dependent on the sun doing something that it is incapable of (emerging from the "place of its setting"- a location that does not exist, given that the sun does not really "rise" or "set" from any place), what does this say about this particular prophecy?

Of course, to a doubting Thomas like you nothing is possible to God Almighty. Do you really think that it will be impossible for God Almighty to reverse the course of the Sun?

I hope I am not being offensive or rude, but if anyone would like to discuss or debate or challenge me on what I have written and provide your input, I would be very interested. Take care and God bless.

Of course you are. You're just an ignaramous and confused phool.
La Ilaha IllAllah
TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2015 at 6:01pm

Some questions I have.

Originally posted by Abu Loren Abu Loren wrote:

People generally refer to sunrise and sunset because when one is standing on the earth it looks as if the sun has risen. This is how people understand the morning and dusk.

Yes, but Muhammad did more than that. He not only used the terms "sunrise" and "sunset" - if he merely did that, I would not be writing this post- but stated explicitly that the sun "travels" to "a place of rising" and will one day go to "a place of setting". He also began this conversation by asking a friend "where does the sun go" when it looks like it is setting.

During the 7th century, in Arabia and everywhere else in the world, people did believe that the sun moves around the earth, so the terms "sunrise" and "sunset" were taken literally, not like they are today.

The Earth does not go around the Sun. The earth is stationary, it's the Sun, the Moon and the Stars that fo around the stationary earth.

That is a lie and you know it. Why you keep insisting it is true I have no idea, most Muslims and non-Muslims would disagree with you.

Of course, to a doubting Thomas like you nothing is possible to God Almighty. Do you really think that it will be impossible for God Almighty to reverse the course of the Sun?

Of course He could reverse its course, but that wouldn't make it "rise from the West". For the sun to do that, the earth would need to be the one changing its course, not the sun.

Also, Muhammad not only said that the sun will rise form its "setting place"... he also said it goes to a "rising place"... as we very well know, there is no such "place" because the sun does not "go" to any particular place in order for it to look like it is "rising".

See, that's one reason I was hoping this question would be answered by one of the many intelligent Muslim posters on this forum, people who not only understand how science works, but also are capable of not resorting to insults and throwing a temper tantrum like a five year old when they come across someone they disagree with.

QuranExplorer or The Saint or other intelligent Muslim posters, if you would like to take part in this discussion I would really appreciate and value your input.
dani21dani View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dani21dani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2015 at 9:23am

Wa alaikum Assalam

1) Well let's start off by keeping in mind the theory of special relativity. We know that the thing that is stationary actually just depends on our inertial frame. If we assume the inertial frame to be Earth, then that would mean that the Earth becomes stationary, and the universe moves in perspective. There is no reason why one might exclude Earth as our default inertial frame and opt for taking the default frame as the universe, this is because the universe is constantly expanding, and also because we do not know the extent of our universe (and we never will in my opinion), thus we cannot be sure which thing is stationary and which is moving. As a matter of fact, it is more sensible that we chose the Earth as the default inertial frame in the light of recent research.
Read this if you want to know more about this interesting new research that puts the Big Bang Theory in danger: http://www.aboutatheism.net/articles/ghyiwfg-planck-satellite-data-and-lawrence-krauss-the-earth-is-at-the-center-of-the-universe.cfm

Moreover, even the ones who say that the Sun is stationary are wrong. The Sun also revolves around the center of the galaxy (also its axis).

Anyway, back to the matter at hand.
The reason why the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) called it �the rising place of the Sun� is the same reason why, in daily life, the news papers post timings of �sunset� and �sunrise�, and why people say �We are going to see the sunrise or sunset�, and the same reason that Japan is called �The Land of the Rising Sun�. I bet you use this term too. I hope you realize what I�m trying to say. In a gist: It is simply a linguistic term that is used in this day and age as well. You are looking at it too literally.

The Sun DOES have a place of rising, and we call it East. Look up the definition of the word 'East'

East
/iːst/
noun
"the direction towards the point of the horizon where the sun rises at the equinoxes, on the right-hand side of a person facing north."

2) Sooooo you mean to say that since, for example, newspapers say the Sun will �rise� at 6am, in actuality since the sun doesn�t �rise� at all, that means the newspapers are wrong? Moreover, that means that after 6am tomorrow there won�t be daylight at all?
I repeat what I said before: �sunset�, �sunrise�, �place of sunset�, �place of sunrise� are all linguistic phrases that are used because of the fact that it appears that the Sun rises if you�re on Earth (since your inertial frame is set as Earth by default), hence it is still used on a daily basis and not considered something impossible. And if you tell someone about the place of rising of the Sun, they will immediately tell you that that place is the East. This is what is meant by the Hadith. It means simply to tell us that the Sun will rise from the place where we saw it disappear last time (which we call West)

This is recorded in other places such as:
Narrated Abu Huraira:
Allah's Messenger (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said, "The hour will not be established till the sun rises from the West�.�
Sahih Bukhari, Hadith # 4636
dani21dani View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dani21dani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2015 at 8:44pm

Yes, but Muhammad did more than that. He not only used the terms "sunrise" and "sunset" - if he merely did that, I would not be writing this post- but stated explicitly that the sun "travels" to "a place of rising" and will one day go to "a place of setting". He also began this conversation by asking a friend "where does the sun go" when it looks like it is setting.

The response to your argument remains the same. The fact is that we refer to things from our perspective. We do this even now. You often hear scientists say "The sun moves across the sky at the rate of..." and so on. We use other verbs for the Sun as well, such as 'gone', 'rise', 'hide', etc. You do not point it out when scientists talk about the Sun 'moving', but you say it when the Prophet says the same thing.

During the 7th century, in Arabia and everywhere else in the world, people did believe that the sun moves around the earth, so the terms "sunrise" and "sunset" were taken literally, not like they are today.

You are basing your conclusion on an assumption you made yourself.
Basically: First you assume that the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) meant it to be literal 'sunrise' and 'sunset' (because 7th century) and then you bring forth a conclusion that the Prophet meant it to be literal 'sunrise' and 'sunset' based on that! What logic is this in which the inference equals the assumption?

Your only basis is your assumption and nothing else. You bring forth no other evidence. If you assume (what any rational person would) and say that the Prophet meant it to be linguistic (like any rational person would), your argument falls apart.

Also, Muhammad not only said that the sun will rise form its "setting place"... he also said it goes to a "rising place"... as we very well know, there is no such "place" because the sun does not "go" to any particular place in order for it to look like it is "rising".

Again, you are taking it too literally. The Sun indeed 'goes' to a place because we see it that way. Period.
There is no way you can prove the sunrise was meant literally; rather any rational person would conclude that when anyone says 'sunrise' he means it from our perspective.

Why are you only saying this regarding the Prophet? Why do you not assume that when the astronomers say 'sunrise' they mean it literally too?

He also began this conversation by asking a friend "where does the sun go" when it looks like it is setting.

Ummmm......... You made an error there, friend...
Perhaps instead of 'when it looks like it is setting' you mean 'when it looks like the Earth is revolving such that the photons resulting from the Fusion reaction of Hydrogen Nuclei into Helium nuclei due to the blistering thermal energy in the giant ball of plasma fail to penetrate our Corneas to reach our Retinas; since they are hindered by the curvature of the oblong piece of coagulated space dust on which we reside upon'?
You don't want to sound unscientific or anything, you know! Golly! Such a silly mistake you made, pal! Shucks! The Sun doesn't set! Tehehe!

[I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound condescending; I'm just trying to make you realize the overt fact that when terminologies like these are used, they are not meant to be literal]
TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2015 at 8:39pm

Originally posted by dani21dani dani21dani wrote:

Wa alaikum Assalam

The same to you.

1) Well let's start off by keeping in mind the theory of special relativity. We know that the thing that is stationary actually just depends on our inertial frame. If we assume the inertial frame to be Earth, then that would mean that the Earth becomes stationary, and the universe moves in perspective. There is no reason why one might exclude Earth as our default inertial frame and opt for taking the default frame as the universe, this is because the universe is constantly expanding, and also because we do not know the extent of our universe (and we never will in my opinion), thus we cannot be sure which thing is stationary and which is moving. As a matter of fact, it is more sensible that we chose the Earth as the default inertial frame in the light of recent research.
Read this if you want to know more about this interesting new research that puts the Big Bang Theory in danger: http://www.aboutatheism.net/articles/ghyiwfg-planck-satellite-data-and-lawrence-krauss-the-earth-is-at-the-center-of-the-universe.cfm

Moreover, even the ones who say that the Sun is stationary are wrong. The Sun also revolves around the center of the galaxy (also its axis).

Thank you for the link. I don't really know that much about the Big Bang Theory and have little to say about how true or false it is, so I won't make comments on it.

I agree with you that from a point of view on the earth, it looks like the sun is moving around it, and "rising" and "setting" on it.

I agree also that the sun is in motion and is not stationary. However, as can be clearly seen, the earth orbits the sun... not the other way around.
The sun does move around the centre of the galaxy, but not around the earth.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand.
The reason why the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) called it �the rising place of the Sun� is the same reason why, in daily life, the news papers post timings of �sunset� and �sunrise�, and why people say �We are going to see the sunrise or sunset�, and the same reason that Japan is called �The Land of the Rising Sun�. I bet you use this term too. I hope you realize what I�m trying to say. In a gist: It is simply a linguistic term that is used in this day and age as well. You are looking at it too literally.

The Sun DOES have a place of rising, and we call it East. Look up the definition of the word 'East'

East
/iːst/
noun
"the direction towards the point of the horizon where the sun rises at the equinoxes, on the right-hand side of a person facing north."

I am very much aware that people use terms like "sunrise" and "sunset" and have done so through the ages.

A major difference however between the usage of these terms now and in the 7th century AD, is that no one today believes that the sun literally rises and sets on the earth, or that it moves around the earth.
However, this was not the case when Muhammad was alive. Geocentricity was accepted as the truth by most people in the world, up until around the time of Galileo. The heliocentric model that we know exists today was not something people were aware of back then.

Had Muhammad merely said that the sun "rises" and "sets", I would not have been writing this post.

However, he claimed that the sun "goes" to a "rising place". The sun does not "go" to the east or west of the earth, the earth spins around it and various parts of our planet are exposed to it at different times.

2) Sooooo you mean to say that since, for example, newspapers say the Sun will �rise� at 6am, in actuality since the sun doesn�t �rise� at all, that means the newspapers are wrong? Moreover, that means that after 6am tomorrow there won�t be daylight at all?
I repeat what I said before: �sunset�, �sunrise�, �place of sunset�, �place of sunrise� are all linguistic phrases that are used because of the fact that it appears that the Sun rises if you�re on Earth (since your inertial frame is set as Earth by default), hence it is still used on a daily basis and not considered something impossible. And if you tell someone about the place of rising of the Sun, they will immediately tell you that that place is the East. This is what is meant by the Hadith. It means simply to tell us that the Sun will rise from the place where we saw it disappear last time (which we call West)

This is recorded in other places such as:
Narrated Abu Huraira:
Allah's Messenger (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said, "The hour will not be established till the sun rises from the West�.�
Sahih Bukhari, Hadith # 4636

Your point would be a very well made one if, like the newspapers, Muhammad would have said merely that the sun "rises", or even "rises in the east"... although given the fact that most people of his time accepted a geocentric view of the world and literally believed the sun traveled around the world and did rise in the east and set in the west, I think it would have been unwise wording.

However, let's ignore that. Let's do what you did, and make a comparison to the newspapers and newscasters today.

Yes, a newscaster may say the sun will "rise" at 6:00 AM.
Do you think he would say that by 6:00 in the morning, after it had set the previous day and enjoyed a rest, the sun will make a journey to its "rising place" and go up from that location? I challenge you to show me just one television or radio announcer who would say something like this, satirical pieces like The Onion are excluded.

It would be like the difference between someone saying "it is raining cats and dogs", and someone saying that there are poodles and tabby's falling from the sky.

Why did Muhammad feel the need to tell someone that the sun travels to and from a "rising place"? He wasn't even asked a question about this, he asked Abu Dharr if he knows where the sun "goes" at the time of sunset.

Also, Muhammad said that after it sets, the sun prostrates under the throne and "remains there" until it is asked to rise again. After it is given this order it allegedly goes to its "rising place", emerges from there, glides until it reaches "its place of rest" and falls prostrate until it is told to rise again.

How can this be possible, given that the sun is always rising at some point in the world? It cannot remain in a state of rest before it "rises", since at any given time at some points on the planet it is always "rising" and at other points it is always "setting".

Muhammad asked Abu Dharr, during sunset, if he "knows where the sun goes". Of course, the sun is not "going" anywhere during sunset that it isn't going to at any other point in time. It is constantly on the move, not stopping at a place of "rest" and then after taking a break (I will not say it doesn't prostrate, since that is part of the Unseen and as a Christian I also believe that the natural world worships God in its own way), going to a "rising" place. Also, the sun does not "return from whence it came" when it "rises" the next time, since it is moving around an orbit around the milky way and that particular orbit takes some 230 million years to make.

For reference, I am copying and pasting the hadith again below:

It is narrated on the authority of Abu Dharr that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) one day said:

Do you know where the sun goes? They replied: Allah and His Apostle know best. He (the Holy Prophet) observed: Verily it (the sun) glides till it reaches its resting place under the Throne. Then it falls prostrate and remains there until it is asked: Rise up and go to the place whence you came, and it goes back and continues emerging out from its rising place and then glides till it reaches its place of rest under the Throne and falls prostrate and remains in that state until it is asked: Rise up and return to the place whence you came, and it returns and emerges out from it rising place and the it glides (in such a normal way) that the people do not discern anything ( unusual in it) till it reaches its resting place under the Throne. Then it would be said to it: Rise up and emerge out from the place of your setting, and it will rise from the place of its setting. The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said. Do you know when it would happen? It would happen at the time when faith will not benefit one who has not previously believed or has derived no good from the faith.

http://sunnah.com/muslim/1/306

Edited by TG12345 - 03 October 2015 at 10:09pm
Peace maker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peace maker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2015 at 11:49pm

Some questions I have.

WHO ON EARTH TOLD YOU THAT THE EARTH IS STATIONARY AND DOES NOT GO AROUND THE SUN EVERY THING  IN THE IN UNIVERSE IS MOVING AT A VERY HIGH SPEED IT IS LOGICALY IMPOSIBLE FOR SOMETHING TO STAND DEAD STILL IN THE UNIVERSE, THE UNIVERSE IS A ENDLESS SPACE WITHOUT GRAVITY ,FRICTION OR PRESSURE.

You might be surprised to know that a spot on the surface of the Earth is moving at 1675 km/h or 465 meters/second. That�s 1,040 miles/hour. Just think, for every second, you�re moving almost half a kilometer through space, and you don�t even feel it.

In addition to spinning on its axis, the Earth also revolves around the Sun. We are approximately 93 million miles (150 million km) from the Sun, and at that distance, it takes us one year (365 days) to go around once. The full path of the Earth's orbit is close to 600 million miles (970 million km). To go around this immense circle in one year takes a speed of 66,000 miles per hour (107,000 km/hr)3. At this speed, you could get from San Francisco to Washington DC in 3 minutes.

How fast do we have to move to make it around the Milky Way in one galactic year? It's a huge circle, and the speed with which the Sun has to move is an astounding 483,000 miles per hour (792,000 km/hr)! The Earth, anchored to the Sun by gravity, follows along at the same fantastic speed. (By the way, as fast as this speed is, it is still a long way from the speed limit of the universe�the speed of light. Light travels at the unimaginably fast pace of 670 million miles per hour or 1.09 billion km/hr.)

airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2015 at 12:32am
May be I can also had a little remark to this funny discussions.
Precisely spoken: The moon does not rotate around the earth, but earth and moon rotate around their (common) center of gravity.
The same applies to the earth (-moon system) and the sun, but the sun is so much heavier that it is pretty ok to say that the earth goes around the sun.

Same for galaxies, double star formations and so on.

And actually, if the prophet says something else, it is not my problem.

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 04 October 2015 at 12:33am
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic