IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - a Surah the like thereof  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

a Surah the like thereof

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 54>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2015 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

Whether a text is or isn't persuasive is a matter of opinion.

That is correct. However, subjective critical analysis of a literature is a complete science itself. The experts know it well. You just can�t ignore their expertize as merely opinionated and hence worthless. The opinion of a linguistic / literature expert, same as the expert of an art, is all that is required to judge between the two. Again, I think, you must consult your English 101 teacher. I must repeatedly say it now.

As I said, some people are persuaded by the Quran, some by the Bhagavad Gita, some by the Bible. And some people (most, in fact) aren't persuaded, of course.

Yes, this also correct. But to assume all these books have same literary quality, is fallacy. Moreover, before these books are even brought on the table at par with Quran, their authenticity (as from the first human source reference) as well as their internal consistency, coherence, and without contradiction / conflict not only within the text but also with the known human history, is yet to be proven.

If every single person who read the Quran was persuaded, then that would be a miracle. But if it is enough to call it a miracle when only some are persuaded, then every religious scripture is a miracle.

This is again not a correct view about �a miracle�. Remember, it is persuasion through conviction and not compulsion. Again, those who choose not to get convinced, are not compelled to be. Go back in the biblical miracles and tell us why Pharaoh or his royal army didn�t get convinced of Prophet Moses despite his miracle of splitting water to make passage? Similarly, for many other miracles even more subtle than these, where even the dead were brought to life. Of course, you may not believe them. But the point must be noted that the purpose of a miracle is not to compel but only to persuade. Some would and some may not.

There are no "challenge rules", at least none spelled out in the Quran. Therefore your attempts to define such rules is itself a demonstration that the Quran is not self-sufficient.

Aren�t we talking about the par excellence of Quran Challenge? So, do you think, any inconsistency within or out of it, is not part of this Challenge? Why are you afraid of these rules of the challenge?

But there are many other such passages, where an obscure passage is explained with "Oh, that verse was revealed at such-and-such time and pertains to some particular circumstance." I'm sure you know of many such passages yourself. So my example is "a sura the like thereof" to the Quran in that respect.

Now that your passage has been clearly shown to be self-inconsistent and conflicting, and therefore thrown out of the Challenge, you are most welcome to bring any specific example from Quran, if you are doubtful. However, for that, you have to follow the guidelines of the forum of choosing the right place of discussion board as per the topic heading.
AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2015 at 10:32pm

To AhmadJoyia and The Saint (and any others who are interested):Suppose I did translate the example in my opening post into Arabic.Then what?By what criteria would you decide whether or not it is "a sura the like thereof"?� Or is it just a matter of subjective opinion?

Don't under estimate the 'subjective opinion' as useless. Not from me definitely, however, the opinion of linguists as well as of the literary experts to compare and judge between the two texts, would not be difficult to obtain, especially with today's internet technology. You may like to try your luck.

Edited by AhmadJoyia - 11 November 2015 at 10:33pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2015 at 5:18am
Originally posted by airmano airmano wrote:

So we concluded that the challenging poems have to be written in Arabic.
Yes.

The trouble is that modern Arabic is in many respects different (i.e. the vocabulary) from the historic Arabic the Quran is written in. A nowadays Arab would face some problems in understanding the Quran in its original form without prior training.

So do I have to conclude further that the challenging text has to be written in old Arabic ?
I guess, Yes. This is a reality. Of course on one side with each year passing by technology is bringing information closer and closer, on the other side keeping the old things becoming harder and harder and Arabic is no exception with the example of Latin now well known.

Originally posted by ahmadjoyia ahmadjoyia wrote:

For example, Poems of a famous poet (in Urdu/Persian languages etc) Sir Allama Iqbal got more appreciation in Germany than, I guess, in his own town. But for this to happen, the German readers took extra pain to first understand the language.
I disagree.
First: "Allama Iqbal" is hardly known in Germany at all. I think I do know a bit about this subject (philosophy) and since in addition I'm German I feel competent to judge.
If you look at the English Wiki entry on "Allama Iqbal" you'll find that he spent most of his time in Germany in Heidelberg and the LMU in Munich.
Heidelberg is (almost) my home town and I know the LMU inside out. No major trace of Allama Iqbal.
Last not least: I read most of my books in foreign languages. But this is rather to train my languages than to grasp the "uniqueness" of a certain text.
So I'm sure that in most of the cases the logic goes the other way round than you claim: Most learn a language first and then they exercise on a foreign book, and not that one learns a foreign language (just) to be able to read a foreign book.
I am rather sure that this applies to the few German readers that read Allama Iqbal (in Farsi) as well.
(I realize of course that there are exceptions like Muslims learning Arabic to read the Quran).

Could you try to find a better example to prove that restricting the contest to (old) Arabic does not cancel the (alleged) universality of the Quran. ?

Airmano

Well, I tend to agree with you about the first German reading the works of Allama might not have learnt the language for his work. But based on his work, many others must have got one more reason of motivation to learn the new language. Secondly, Allama Iqbal died about more than half a century back. His current popularity in Germany was never assumed in my post. Thirdly, I have given you a relative analysis (relative to his own home town), so even if you are correct about your statistics of Germany, through a simple logic, it may still not un-validate my statement. Isn�t it?

Edited by AhmadJoyia - 12 November 2015 at 5:21am
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2015 at 6:10am
Quote Ahmadjoyia:
so even if you are correct about your statistics of Germany, through a simple logic, it may still not un-validate my statement. Isn�t it?

It is in any case irrelevant as long as there are no clear criteria given for this quranic challenge.
We are now on page 16 of this discussion and the goal posts get moved all the time (not addressed to you but to "The Saint")

So could you please ?

Airmano    

Edited by airmano - 12 November 2015 at 11:38am
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2015 at 8:09am
Originally posted by AhmadJoyia AhmadJoyia wrote:

So we concluded that the challenging poems have to be written in Arabic.
Yes.

The trouble is that modern Arabic is in many respects different (i.e. the vocabulary) from the historic Arabic the Quran is written in. A nowadays Arab would face some problems in understanding the Quran in its original form without prior training.

So do I have to conclude further that the challenging text has to be written in old Arabic ?
I guess, Yes.

The the Koran is certainly the best thing ever written in old Arabic.

No contest at all.

Very little else was ever written in old Arabic and nothing posh. That would have been like writing the Queen's speach in scouse (Liverpool accent).

Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2015 at 4:09pm

That is correct. However, subjective critical analysis of a literature is a complete science itself. The experts know it well. You just can�t ignore their expertize as merely opinionated and hence worthless. The opinion of a linguistic / literature expert, same as the expert of an art, is all that is required to judge between the two. Again, I think, you must consult your English 101 teacher. I must repeatedly say it now.

Critical analysis is a legitimate field of study, but it is not a science.  I'm quite sure my high school English teachers would agree with that.  In class we were encouraged to form our own opinions about literature.  As long as we could justify our position, we didn't have to agree with the teacher or with anyone else.

Science, by contrast, is above all things objective.  If a Hindu scientist and a Muslim scientist routinely reach different conclusions from the same facts, then at least one of them is not doing science.  Not that speculation is necessarily a bad thing, but it's not science.

Quote Yes, this also correct. But to assume all these books have same literary quality, is fallacy. Moreover, before these books are even brought on the table at par with Quran, their authenticity (as from the first human source reference) as well as their internal consistency, coherence, and without contradiction / conflict not only within the text but also with the known human history, is yet to be proven.

I thought the whole point of the challenge was to establish the authenticity of the Quran.  If we have to establish authenticity beforehand, then why even bother with the challenge?

Quote This is again not a correct view about �a miracle�. Remember, it is persuasion through conviction and not compulsion. Again, those who choose not to get convinced, are not compelled to be. Go back in the biblical miracles and tell us why Pharaoh or his royal army didn�t get convinced of Prophet Moses despite his miracle of splitting water to make passage? Similarly, for many other miracles even more subtle than these, where even the dead were brought to life. Of course, you may not believe them. But the point must be noted that the purpose of a miracle is not to compel but only to persuade. Some would and some may not.

We're not talking about whether or not the miracle is persuasive.  We're talking about whether or not it is a miracle.  Persuasion is not per se a miracle.  Or (again, not to get lost in semantics) if it is, then a great many texts are "miracles".

Quote Aren�t we talking about the par excellence of Quran Challenge? So, do you think, any inconsistency within or out of it, is not part of this Challenge? Why are you afraid of these rules of the challenge?

What rules?  Please tell me the rules, and where you found them.

Quote Now that your passage has been clearly shown to be self-inconsistent and conflicting, ...

In what way is it inconsistent or conflicting?  When was this shown?

Quote ...and therefore thrown out of the Challenge, you are most welcome to bring any specific example from Quran, if you are doubtful. However, for that, you have to follow the guidelines of the forum of choosing the right place of discussion board as per the topic heading.

If your claim is that any challenge text must be like the Quran in self-consistency, then surely an examination of the Quran's consistency would be part of that comparison.  Not that I want to go there at this time.  I am satisfied that my example is self-consistent.
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2015 at 6:58pm

Critical analysis is a legitimate field of study, but it is not a science.� I'm quite sure my high school English teachers would agree with that.� In class we were encouraged to form our own opinions about literature.� As long as we could justify our position, we didn't have to agree with the teacher or with anyone else.
Not to go into the semantics of the word, What I meant from 'science' was that the literary critical analysis tools are not speculatively opinionated as you were trying to imply. In here, if a large number of students in your class routinely reach to a different conclusion about a literature than yours, then it is necessary to note that you may not be applying the right tools of the literary analysis, for that literature.

I thought the whole point of the challenge was to establish the authenticity of the Quran.� If we have to establish authenticity beforehand, then why even bother with the challenge?

My response must be seen in the context when the comparison of Quran with other religious books is somehow is alluded to; which of course is not the topic under discussion.

In what way is it inconsistent or conflicting?� When was this shown?

Not to duplicate, it has been clearly shown that your passage is addressing two personalities. By giving them divine assignment, it clearly implied both are Prophets with the specified mission. However, later in the passage, only singular 'Prophet' is being addressed. Hence, this is self conflicting as well as ambiguous to the reader as who this 'Prophet' is? 'Mohammad' or 'Ali'?
If you don't agree, of course you wouldn't, then I can only humbly agree to disagree with you and let all other readers to make their own opinion about our discussion. After all, my aim was never to convert you, but only to let you know what my opinion is about the topic. Best regards.

Edited by AhmadJoyia - 12 November 2015 at 7:05pm
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2015 at 9:27pm

Not to go into the semantics of the word, What I meant from 'science' was that the literary critical analysis tools are not speculatively opinionated as you were trying to imply. In here, if a large number of students in your class routinely reach to a different conclusion about a literature than yours, then it is necessary to note that you may not be applying the right tools of the literary analysis, for that literature.

Nonsense.  Even if the entire class loves Shakespeare, that doesn't mean I have to love Shakespeare.  Even if they find his soliloquies moving and persuasive, that doesn't mean I have to find them so.

Quote My response must be seen in the context when the comparison of Quran with other religious books is somehow is alluded to; which of course is not the topic under discussion.

It is exactly the topic under discussion.  Christians would certainly see the Bible as "the like thereof" (actually, the superior thereof) to the Quran in authority, and in persuasive and inspirational power.  They regard it as authentic even if the exact origins are lost in history, and they would say that having multiple authors all corroborating each other is vastly superior to relying on a single source.  And frankly I would agree with them, although my opinion on the matter is worth no more than theirs, or yours.

Quote Not to duplicate, it has been clearly shown that your passage is addressing two personalities. By giving them divine assignment, it clearly implied both are Prophets with the specified mission. However, later in the passage, only singular 'Prophet' is being addressed. Hence, this is self conflicting as well as ambiguous to the reader as who this 'Prophet' is? 'Mohammad' or 'Ali'?

It gave them divine assignment, but it didn't say anything about them being prophets.  You think it implied that because apparently you cannot imagine any other kind of divine assignment.  That is not the fault of the text.
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 54>
  Share Topic