IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - a Surah the like thereof  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

a Surah the like thereof

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 54>
Author
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: a Surah the like thereof
    Posted: 01 September 2015 at 11:30am
As evidence for the divine origin of the Quran, several people have quoted the following verse to me: "And if you are in doubt about what We have sent down upon Our Servant [Muhammad], then produce a Surah the like thereof and call upon your witnesses other than Allah , if you should be truthful." (Quran 2:23)

It is never made clear to me exactly what the challenge is here.  What is meant by "the like thereof"?  I can think of many possible scriptures, but it's really just a matter of opinion.  Who decides whether something is like the Quran, and on what basis?

I suggested the Book of Mormon, for example, which is similar to the Quran in its claim to being a revelation from God, given to a single person with no corroborating evidence, and building on earlier scriptures.  It is also similar in style and content, pretending to speak in the voice of God, exhorting righteousness, demanding obedience, offering heaven and threatening hell, etc.

Of course I could also point to the Bible, the Bhagavad Gita, the Analects of Confucius, and dozens of others.  All of them are similar in some respects and different in others.

Another example which comes to mind is a sura which some claim was supposed to be part of the Quran, but was omitted (or do the Shias include it? I don't know):

In the name of the bountiful and merciful God.

O you who have faith, believe in the two lights, Muhammed and Ali, whom we have sent, and who recite our verses to you, and put you on your guard against the chastisement of the great day. These two lights proceed the one from the the other. As to myself, I understand and I know.

Those who fulfil the order of God and of his prophet, such as it is given to them in the verses of the Koran, those shall enjoy the gardens of delight. As to those who, after having believed, became infidels by transgressing their compact, and what the prophet had stipulated for them, they shall be thrown into hell, because they have unjustly treated their own souls, and have disobeyed the preaching prophet. These shall be drenched with hot water.

It is God who illuminated the heavens and the earth, as it was his pleasure; who made his choice among the angels and prophets; who placed the latter among the number of believers in the midst of his creatures.�God does what he wills: there is but he, the bountiful and merciful God.

Those who preceded them, have already machinated against their prophets; but I have punished them for their perfidy, and, certainly, my punishment is violent and severe. God had already destroyed Ad* and Tamud,* on account of their crimes; he made of them an example for warning you. Shall you then not fear?

Because Pharaoh acted tyrannically towards Moses and his brother Aaron, I drowned him in the waters, as well as those who followed him, in order that it may serve as a sign for you

Many among you are prevaricators; but God will assemble them all on the day of resurrection; and they will not be able to answer when interrogated by him: certainly, hell is their habitation. God is all-knowing and wise.

O prophet! my advertisement arrived (at its destination); perhaps will they act (conformably to it). Those who turned away from my words have already experienced detriment. Are they comparable to those who accomplish thy ordinances, and whom I will reward by the gardens of delight? For God is the Lord of mercy and great rewards.

Ali is of the number of pious; we shall restore him his right on the day of judgment. We are not ignorant of their inten�tion to defraud him. We have honored him more than all thy family. He and his race are of the number of sufferers, and certainly their enemy is the Imam of sinners.*

Say to those who became infidels after having believed: �You have sought after the comforts of the present life, and you have been eager in the pursuit of them; but you have forgotten what God and his prophet have promised you. You have broken the engagements which you had taken in a formal manner; yet we quoted to you examples, in the hope that you would follow the good direction.�

O prophet, we have sent thee clear verses. Those who were faithful, and attached themselves to them, will receive assistance after thee. Turn away from those who turn away from me. Certainly, he shall make them appear on the day on which nothing shall avail them, and when they will have no pity to hope for. Their habitation shall be hell, from which they shall not be removed.

Celebrate the name of thy lord, and be of the number of his adorers. We have already sent Moses, and Aaron, and those who followed them; but they treated Aaron unjustly. Patience is an excellent virtue. Among them we changed some into apes* and hogs; we cursed them until the day of resurrection. Have patience; certainly they shall be punished.

We have gratified thee with an authority equal to that which was possessed by the messengers who preceded thee, and we have given thee instructions in their persons. Perhaps man�kind will be converted. He who turns away from my com�mand shall be soon called away by me from this world. Let them therefore enjoy some time their impiety. Ask no information concerning the violators of God's law.

O prophet, we granted thee the power of loading the neck of those who believed in the strength of a compact which we contract. Be thou of the number of the grateful.

Certainly, Ali is pious. He passes the night prostrate before God. He is cautious with respect to another life, and he hopes to merit the reward of his Lord. Say, will they be treated in the same manner, they who have acted unjustly, although they knew the chastisement which I prepare for them? Chains shall be put on their necks, and they shall repent of their acts.

We have announced to thee a progeny of just men,* who will not oppose my commands. My bounty and mercy are upon them, living or dead,* until the day of resurrection. My anger is against those who act tyrannically towards thy pos�terity; wicked men who shall suffer the pain which they deserve.

As to those who walked upon the road of thy posterity, my mercy is granted to them, and they shall be safe in the kiosques of paradise. Glory to God, King of the creatures.

Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
The Saint View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2015 at 8:32am
I am starting to answer your question as to the evidence for the divine origin of the Quran. While browsing the web I came across this admission by someone who saw evidence of the divine. Here it is.

FINGERPRINTS OF AUTHENTICITY

I share some sentiments which once upon a time tore at the mind of an ardent student and critic of the Quran. After a consistent and prolonged assault to his faculties, he finally became convinced that God had indeed spoken...

Below are but a few examples of an immense ocean of scattered thoughts.

Verse 6:35
-------------
Were these really the words of a false Prophet who attempted to rebuke himself in front of an existing hostile and critical audience by calling himself 'jahil', or were these the words of a higher authority admonishing him?

006:035
"And if their aversion is grievous to you, then, if you can, seek a way down into the earth or a ladder to the sky so that you may bring to them a sign (to convince them all)! If God willed, He could have brought them all together to the guidance. THEREFORE BE NOT OF THE IGNORANT / FOOLISH (JAHIL)."

Jahil - ignorant / foolish / silly

Question - 'Fingerprints' of authenticity or a false scripture?

Verse 93:7
-------------
An admission of being astray / in error or a case of merely being 'lost' as softened by translations?

093:007
"And He found you erring / in error / astray (Arabic: dall), so He guided"

Please note how the same Arabic word (dall) is used in Surah Fateha verse 7 as read by potentially billions of Muslims every day. They know very well its meaning in that verse yet oft fail to apply its meaning to verse 93:7. If faithful followers have attempted to 'lighten' the implication of the word, why would a false messenger make use of such strong language against himself in the tacit hope to appeal to an audience that was once critical of him? Or was this once again, a manifestation of truth by a higher authority?

Verse 42:52
--------------
An admission � Whilst many later historians recount events which surround the prophet in hagiography before and during his ministry, the Quran seems to present quite a different narrative. Given the disparity of the sources with the Quran and what appears to be the inclination of the human mind to show themselves in the most positive light, would a false prophet willingly incline to admit that he never had real faith?

042:052 (part)
"And thus did We reveal to you an inspired book by Our command. You did not know what the Book was, NOR THE FAITH (Arabic: la imaanu)..."

Was this a dangerous attempt by a false Prophet at reverse psychology or a manifestation of truth by the presence of a higher authority?

Verse 12:3
-------------
Would a false prophet intent on writing a false scripture expose their futility of yore in such a manner so publicly so as to have it preserved in posterity?

We narrate to you (Muhammad) the best of narratives in that We have inspired in you this Qur'an, although aforetime you were SURELY AMONG THE HEEDLESS (Ghafil)�

Verse 66:1
-------------
Would a false Prophet expose their vulnerability in such a manner of public rebuke? Or is this once again, a manifestation of truth by the presence of a higher authority?

�O Prophet! Why do you prohibit / make unlawful / ban that which God has made lawful for you, seeking to please your wives? And God is Forgiving, Merciful.�

Verse 5:17
--------------

Some of those that remain committed in their pursuits to map and study the heavens know instinctively that a potential Creator of such an immense Universe must exhibit unfathomable prowess, total authority and need not be dependant on a human form or of human needs. If He indeed has spoken, His words must carry sentiments that are NOT 'earth-centric.'

One may not be able to express all that God can be, but one can certainly express what God cannot be. A scripture which humanises God to make him dependant cannot be authentic.

�Certainly they disbelieved who said �Indeed, God, He is the Messiah, son of Mary. Say �Then who has power against God in anything if He intends to DESTROY (yuh�lika) the MESSIAH son of Mary, and HIS MOTHER and WHOEVER is in the EARTH?� And God's is the kingdom / dominion of the HEAVENS AND THE EARTH and what is between them; He creates what He pleases; and God has POWER over ALL THINGS�

It is in the multifaceted arguments that are posited by the Quran's narratives in the multitude of layers of wisdom that shines through its core teachings that one slowly comes to the ultimate realisation that God has in fact spoken.

From the very few, isolated examples you read above, such sentiments would only �likely� to originate from a mind of a once critic.

It is not the kind of sentiment that would �likely� emanate from the mind of some traditionalists who accept their religion blindly and venerate the Prophet to such a degree, that they fail to see that in what verses they �soften� and �hide�, it is where authenticity of the scripture is oft found.

It is in what is hidden, that some of us find God.

Ya�Allah I bear witness that you have indeed spoken to your servants by the Quran. On the Day my Lord, please count me as one of those who testify to this truth.

https://www.facebook.com/joseph.a.islam/posts/216314685172333

You will be hearing from me again soon. In Sha Allah.
Invite [all] to the Way of thy Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching;
and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2015 at 2:00am
@The Saint

Is this copy and paste from here (without even quoting your source as usual!) all you have to offer ?

Well.....

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 06 September 2015 at 3:11am
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2015 at 10:32am
I have to say your response is very disappointing, Mr. Saint.  You haven't even addressed my opening post.  All you did is copy/paste some guy on Facebook, who lists a bunch of statements in the Quran that make him believe its authenticity.  But surely if those are the sort of statements that make people like him believe -- and if the goal of a false prophet was to make people believe -- then those would be exactly the sort of statements one would expect to find in a Quran.

Tell me why (in your opinion) the Bible, the Book of Mormon, the Tao Te Ching, etc., are not "the like thereof" to the Quran.  Tell me why the surah I quoted at the end of my opening post is not "the like thereof".
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2015 at 1:10pm
May be it is time to continue the "likeof" discussion here.

In this post I produced a poem that I consider as at least equal (if not superior) to any surah of the Quran.

"The Saint" tried a couple of times to prove me wrong like here, there and there but without providing any arguments (one could also say without any success).

Is there anybody else that could respond to my challenge ?

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 07 September 2015 at 1:39pm
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
The Saint View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2015 at 8:04am
Please look again! I have given the due credit.

And if you had read carefully at the top, I said I am beginning to.....
The Saint View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2015 at 8:38am
You must have patience. I move at my own pace and in the way I want to.

I chose a starter. I have just begun and you are resorting to cribbing. Let me assure you this is not the end. It is just the preamble, if you will, of what I am going to say.

Here is some background to Quran's challenge which is the topic here.

"Every Prophet was given �signs� because of which people believed in him. Indeed, I have been given the Divine Revelation that God has revealed to me. So, I hope to have the most followers of all the prophets on the Day of Resurrection." (Saheeh Al-Bukhari)

The physical miracles performed by the prophets were time-specific, valid only for those who witnessed them, whereas the like of the continuing miracle of our Prophet, the Noble Quran, was not granted to any other prophet. Its linguistic superiority, style, clarity of message, strength of argument, quality of rhetoric, and the human inability to match even its shortest chapter till the end of time grant it an exquisite uniqueness.

That is why the Prophet of Mercy hoped he will have the most followers of all the prophets, and prophesized that he would at a time when Muslims were few, but then they began to embrace Islam in floods. Thus, this prophecy came true.

Why this Challenge?

First, Arabs were poets. Poetry was their supreme ornament and their most representative form of discourse. Arabic poetry was rooted in the oral; it was a voice before it acquired an alphabet. Poets could compose intricate poems spontaneously and commit thousands of lines to memory. Arabs had a complex system of evaluating a poet and the poetry to meet rigid standards. Annual competition selected the �idols� of poetry, and they were engraved in gold and hung inside the Kaaba, alongside their idols of worship. The most skilled served as judges. Poets could ignite wars and bring truce between warring tribes. They described women, wine, and war like no one else.

Second, the opponents of the Prophet Muhammad were strongly determined to quash his mission in any way possible. God gave them a non-violent approach to disprove Muhammad.

History is a witness that the pre-Islamic Arabs could not produce a single chapter to meet the challenge of the Quran. Instead of meeting the challenge, they chose violence and waged war against him. They, of all people, had the ability and the motive to meet the Quranic challenge, but could not do so. Had they done so, the Quran would have proven false, and the man who brought it would have been exposed as a false prophet. The fact that the ancient Arabs did not and could not meet this challenge is proof of Quran�s inimitability. Their example is of a thirsty man next to a well, the only reason he dies of thirst is if he was unable to reach the water!

Furthermore, the inability of previous Arabs to meet the challenge of the Quran implies later Arabs are less competent to meet the challenge, due to their lack the mastery of classical Arabic that the previous, �classical� Arabs had. According to linguists of the Arabic language, the Arabs before and during the time of the Prophet, in exclusion to subsequent generations, had the most complete mastery of the Arabic language, its rules, meters, and rhymes. Later Arabs did not match the mastery of classical Arabs.

Lastly, the challenge is for Arabs and non-Arabs alike. If the Arabs cannot meet the challenge, the non-speakers of Arabic cannot claim to meet the challenge either. Hence, the inimitability of the Quran is established for non-Arabs as well.
The Saint View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2015 at 8:42am
Are you a descendent of Don Quixote?

BTW, it is a sin to lie. You did not really produce that poem, you pinched it from somewhere!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 54>
  Share Topic