IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What the meaning of Qurban  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What the meaning of Qurban

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeExupery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What the meaning of Qurban
    Posted: 14 January 2006 at 6:10am

Dear All,

Iedul Qurban has just passed, and I would love the explanation the significance and the meaning of Qurban for moslems.

Fox

Io Sogno L'anime, Che Sono Sempre Libere (Il Divo)
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2006 at 8:23pm

Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir rajeem,

Bismillah ir rahman ir rahim,

Hello DeExupery

Muslims have two celeberations, namely EId-ul-fitr and eid ul adha.

The first is when the month of fasting ends.

The second, whichc you have called eid ul Qurban is celeberated for three days after the day of Hajj (9th Dhul Hajj). This means it is on the 10th, 11th and 12th of Dhul Hajj on the Islamic calender.

Qurban means sacrifice. The significance of this eid is from the offering of Prophet Abraham(as), who prepeared to present his son Ismail(as) to Allah, upon having dream of such a command. He prepared to offer his son, but this was a test from Allah, so before he could sloughter his boy, the angels replaced him with a sacrificing animal.

To remember this sacrifice of him we,muslim who can afford to, make an offering to Allah of an animal. This is called Qurbani. It is not an obligation, but necessariry for all who are earning and have enough money to do it. The meat of the animal should be divided into three portions, of which one third is distributed among the poor, another part among relatives and friends, and the third is consumed in the family.

I hope this answers your Question.

Peace,

Nausheen

<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
DeExupery View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeExupery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2006 at 8:46am

Dear Nausheen,

you said:

Qurban means sacrifice. The significance of this eid is from the offering of Prophet Abraham(as), who prepeared to present his son Ismail(as) to Allah, upon having dream of such a command. He prepared to offer his son, but this was a test from Allah, so before he could sloughter his boy, the angels replaced him with a sacrificing animal.

Thank you for your explanation. Are you sure that the son is Ismael? Do you have a Quranic Source to support you?

One again, does the sacrifice also have any simbolic meaning about the relation between God and Human? I mean, if it's not important, why it's necessary to slaughter animals. I mean if we want to give the poor, My naive thought says that we can do so with our money and other things.

Fox

firewall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firewall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2006 at 9:43am
for me, i think it's because you can cook it & have a feast. where poor people can come to the feast together with the rich people. eat together like a big family. as muslims give sadaqah (charity) all year long already, so you can give money anytime. it's too usual. but with Qurban, you all will have a major feast! all people from all walks of life, can come celebrate together, rich, poor, young, old.

& the meat will be distributed accordingly. the poor who rarely eat meat, can have special dishes & be feasted. & they can even keep the free meet for storage, too.

i believe the qurban is done, yes, because of Allah. still Allah is Rich, so He is not in need of the meat at all. but that meat is for the people. & your sacrifice will be judged by Allah, as deeds. all good we do, Allah will return the good to our own self. it will return to ourself.

anyway, Prophet Abraham did consult Prophet Ismail first about the command. he didn't actually just go take Ismail. so there's consultation going on. & Prophet Ismail was just as ready to accept the command as Prophet Abraham. & finally Allah gives them sacrifice a sheep instead.

wallahu a'lam.
DeExupery View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeExupery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2006 at 4:22am

Dear Firewall,

you said (let me paraphrase you):

(1) The qurban only means to feast together.

(2) Abraham's son which were meant to be slaughtered as Qurban was Ismail.

For this I would love to ask you:

(1) This is just a confirmation. So in Quran, Qurban doesn't affect to God, but only another good deed that will get judgement from Allah. Is that so?

(2) Would love Quranic Verses that mentioning Ismael was the Qurban.

Thanks.

Fox 

peacemaker View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peacemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2006 at 9:41am

DeExupery,

The whole context of the event as recorded in the Qur'an ( 37: 101-113 ) leaves no doubt that Ismaeel ( Ishmael ) ( pbuh ) was the son to have been sacrificed by his father in response to God's command.

Peace

Edited by peacemaker
Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13
Shams Zaman View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shams Zaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2006 at 11:44am

Dear DeExupery
The evidence is also given in Bible:

Genisis Ch-17, verse 16-20, says that Ishmael was born before the birth of Issac, "18. And Abraham said unto God, o that Ishmael might live before thee! 19. And God said, Sarah, thy wife shall bear a son indeed,...." then in ch-22 verse-2 says, "And he (God) said, take now thy son, thine ONLY son Issac, whom thou lovest...." (for sacrifice).

Here the one who was doing alteration in the Bible forgot that now Issac but Ishmael was the first born child of Abraham. Perhaps some day a wise publisher will correct the mistake.

Why don't you tell it to the pope? After all there are so many alterations so why not this one to put the record straight????

Shams Zaman  Pakistan

DeExupery View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeExupery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2006 at 8:24am

Dear Sham,

We are talking about Quran here. I would love a reference that IT IS ISHMAEL that was about to be sacrified. Would love a verse with his name on it, because Bible said it is Issac.

Fox

By the way, if you insist, this is my explanation,

In the Genesis 21, Hagar and Ismael had already been sent away because Sarah insisted. So Isacc was the only SON from that time. Please read whollly.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic