IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Science & Technology
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Moon (Part 2)  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Moon (Part 2)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 33>
Author
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2015 at 5:49am
Well, you are clearly determined to have your "miracle", regardless of the facts; but just so you know, all celestial objects "lose their light" as they near the horizon.  Here is a good explanation from an astronomer:

"...our atmosphere isn't completely transparent, even to visible light. Looking straight up, where the line of sight encounters the least absorption, 10-25% of starlight is lost at a typical clear site (the higher figure is for bluer light). The absorption increases toward the horizon, roughly as 1/cosine(angle from zenith). From places renowned for clear skies (Hawaii, the Canary Islands, the Andes, the Caucasus) you can still see stars close to the horizon but in reduced numbers (and brightness). [I made a note in my observing log while using the 6-meter BTA, of how striking it was to see mountain peaks outlined by the Milky Way.] However, from typcial places (and the whole eastern US falls in that category from my experience) the amount of absorption is often enhanced by haze, and since the vertical absorption factor gets multipled by the geometric one looking sideways, some nights it's like observing the Universe from the bottom of a goldfish bowl.

(And don't get me started on how much we lose trying to work in the near-ultraviolet from the ground - more than 30 degrees from overhead, don't bother...)"
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2015 at 1:38am
Quote AbuL: I hate mobile phones especially the smart ones.
I share this feeling but it doesn't help.
If you want to do (some sort of) science you need instruments. Otherwise your observation is based on feelings -which for me at least- is the opposite of science.

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 03 July 2015 at 1:38am
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2015 at 2:15am
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

Well, you are clearly determined to have your "miracle", regardless of the facts; but just so you know, all celestial objects "lose their light" as they near the horizon.�

Not like this. This was a sudden loss of the moon's light and then disappeared without any clouds nearby.

OK then explain the miracle of the second night where a black covering enveloped the moon and parts of it were visible for a while then totally disappeared.
La Ilaha IllAllah
Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2015 at 4:56am
Originally posted by Abu Loren Abu Loren wrote:

Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

Well, you are clearly determined to have your "miracle", regardless of the facts; but just so you know, all celestial objects "lose their light" as they near the horizon. 

Not like this. This was a sudden loss of the moon's light and then disappeared without any clouds nearby.

OK then explain the miracle of the second night where a black covering enveloped the moon and parts of it were visible for a while then totally disappeared.

All the things you are descibing sound exactly like seeing the Moon on a night where clouds that you could not see were in the sky and moving across the Moon.
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2015 at 6:08am

How do you know there were no clouds nearby?  You can't usually see clouds at night.

Quote OK then explain the miracle of the second night where a black covering enveloped the moon and parts of it were visible for a while then totally disappeared.

That close to the horizon, it was most likely a plume of effluent from a factory or power generating station.  But again, it was night so you wouldn't necessarily see the plume itself.
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2015 at 2:31am
To ALL

Believe what you want as you lot are clearly going to hell.
La Ilaha IllAllah
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2015 at 3:31am
Quote AbuL: To ALL
Sounds like a convincing argument to me!

Airmano
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2015 at 4:54am

To ALL

Is that because we don't belive in your assertions which seem to not be anything special or something else?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 33>
  Share Topic