IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Science & Technology
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Alone in the universe  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alone in the universe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggerjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2015 at 2:50pm

Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

I'm not sure what intelligent design has to do with this.  If anything, the assumption of an intelligent designer would make it more likely that we are alone.  After all, why design something more than once?

Good question.

(I hope I am not presuming too much with the following) How many children do you have? Any grandchildren? I believe that God is big into family... VERY BIG into family.

Besides that, why not? Why would any intelligent being capable of designing, building, and creating not do so? In a previous thread I mentioned that I am an artist. I have had more than a few dry spells when I have produced very little work... not good times. I'm happiest when I am creative.

By the way, I like your "back-of-the-envelope" calculations earlier.

Always sincere.... sometimes serious,

John B

biggerjohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggerjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2015 at 2:55pm
#5 The Aliens are ALREADY HERE!!!!!

Muooo Ha Ha Ha!

Sorry Big%20smile couldn't resist
kiuyhyt View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiuyhyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2015 at 7:03am
 Hi

This is the classic fallacy of argument from incredulity.  What you're saying is "I can't think of an explanation, therefore God must be the explanation." But if none of your premises even mentions God, how can the conclusion be about God?
A hundred years ago it was possible to calculate the total amount of radiant energy emitted by the sun, and to show that not even the hottest fire could produce so much energy.  So would it have been valid to say "therefore God"?  Of course not.  It just meant that we hadn't yet discovered the process of nuclear fusion.

As information doesn't come out of nowhere, and in this case it's simultaneous concordant information at a scale we just "begin" to understand (talking about a living cell).
   Also, information is impossible to get out of energy alone. plus, energy destroys information, you need just the right amount, especially for proteins.

We have no idea how life began.  But you cannot conclude God from that.  You can only conclude that we have no idea.

my own answer to that is this:
let's say we have two kind of objects: A and B
they can be assembled to form stable entities.
A are conscious of their own existence
B are not.
_if i make an entity using B i won't be conscious of it's own existence regardless of how well it could simulate intelligent life, because it will never be able to experience things itself.
_if i make an entity using A it won't be conscious as a whole, because you cannot mix consciousness (as we can't mix ours). A wouldn't process information, each part would be alive, but wouldn't do much.

What this means for me is that being intelligent and being conscious of its own existence are two seperate things. One is a computer (makable, even if not by chance), the other is unmakable. You wouldn't even know if you have A or B objects (stones could as well be alive).

that's why, my own existence prooves me there is a Creator of everything.
I'm functionally complex and i "am"

So which do you think it is?  Did He create us alone, or did He fill the universe with life?  Aren't you curious at all?

As i already went through the "there is a god / islam is the way / islam informations are true", i'm curious but i have enough  information (in "our" litterature) about that to kind of "see the big picture" about life around us.
But the universe is BIG, take this hadith for example (from memory): "Each one of the 7 heavens is in the next like a ring thrown in the desert of the next heaven and the last one has the same proportion towards Gods throne"
So our universe (until the limit we can't see from here) is like the arquilian galaxy from MIB 1.Wink

But you're not proving that God exists.  You're assuming that God exists in order to prove everything else.

true.

Edited by kiuyhyt - 07 April 2015 at 7:23am
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2015 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Tim the plumber Tim the plumber wrote:

Quite a commute, yes, but if the vessels in use are huge 5km diameter or more with billions of inhabitants then the question of what will they do whilst traveling is answered by carrying on with their lives.

And what kind of life would that be?  Generation upon generation, wandering in the black emptiness of space, never seeing the sun, never feeling the rain or walking under an open sky?  Who would condemn their descendants to that, for a hundred thousand years -- and why?

Even if they were crazy enough to start such a journey, my bet is that in about a hundred years it would occur to their grandkids that the nearest habitable planetary system is the one that they just left. Smile
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2015 at 11:35am
Originally posted by biggerjohn biggerjohn wrote:

(I hope I am not presuming too much with the following) How many children do you have? Any grandchildren? I believe that God is big into family... VERY BIG into family.

Ah, well, I try not to talk too much about my family on public forums.  You'll notice that I use my real name, unlike most people.  It was a conscious decision I made many years ago that I would not hide my identity, and that I would be willing to stand by any opinions I expressed in real life.  However, that decision is not without its risks and I can't make that choice for others, including my family.

That said, the whole point of family is to stay in touch with them.  It does us little good to know that there are fellow beings somewhere out there, ten thousand light years away, if we can't even communicate with them.

Quote Besides that, why not? Why would any intelligent being capable of designing, building, and creating not do so? In a previous thread I mentioned that I am an artist. I have had more than a few dry spells when I have produced very little work... not good times. I'm happiest when I am creative.

That's a good point.  So I guess either way, there's a good chance we're not alone.  But an even better chance we'll never know for sure.
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2015 at 11:06am

Originally posted by Tim the plumber Tim the plumber wrote:

Quite a commute, yes, but if the vessels in use are huge 5km diameter or more with billions of inhabitants then the question of what will they do whilst traveling is answered by carrying on with their lives.

And what kind of life would that be?  Generation upon generation, wandering in the black emptiness of space, never seeing the sun, never feeling the rain or walking under an open sky?  Who would condemn their descendants to that, for a hundred thousand years -- and why?

Even if they were crazy enough to start such a journey, my bet is that in about a hundred years it would occur to their grandkids that the nearest habitable planetary system is the one that they just left. Smile

If you have a 50km diameter asteroid as your starting material and create large habitats with multiple layers, say 100m vertically separated then you will have more land space to use as park land or whatever than humanity currently actually lives on.

I am confident we will go into space and create heaven. In fact many heavens.

biggerjohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggerjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2015 at 12:42pm

Originally posted by biggerjohn biggerjohn wrote:

Ah, well, I try not to talk too much about my family on public forums.  You'll notice that I use my real name, unlike most people.  It was a conscious decision I made many years ago that I would not hide my identity, and that I would be willing to stand by any opinions I expressed in real life.  However, that decision is not without its risks and I can't make that choice for others, including my family.

That said, the whole point of family is to stay in touch with them.  It does us little good to know that there are fellow beings somewhere out there, ten thousand light years away, if we can't even communicate with them.

Quote Besides that, why not? Why would any intelligent being capable of designing, building, and creating not do so? In a previous thread I mentioned that I am an artist. I have had more than a few dry spells when I have produced very little work... not good times. I'm happiest when I am creative.

That's a good point.  So I guess either way, there's a good chance we're not alone.  But an even better chance we'll never know for sure.

I like your point about family and staying in touch. Sadly, I'm not all that good at keeping touch with my own family less than 400 miles away. Plus I imagine my cell plan would stick me with some heavy charges if I phoned someone ouside the solar system... again.

As far as never knowing for sure... if Hollywood is even remotely close to what alien life is like then I am OK with not knowing for sure Big%20smile

I like the way you think.

Always sincere.... somteimes serious,
John Bigley (actual name Shocked)

Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2015 at 2:13pm
I tend to view earth as the original 'melting pot'.
I fail to see any other explanation for the diversity of beings on this planet, except that we all have differing origins... i.e., people came here, or were brought here, from other galaxies/planets/places/ whatever.
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic