IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Science & Technology
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - DNA Analysis proves evolution  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DNA Analysis proves evolution

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 15>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2015 at 4:56am
@QE

...and you still haven't answered the question whether wolfs/dogs and tiger/lions are of the same species for you (or not).

Strange isn't it ?

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 27 March 2015 at 5:00am
Quranexplorer View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quranexplorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2015 at 7:25am
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by "observational evidence", but if you are limiting yourself to what can be directly observed, then you are discarding 90% of science.� How many scientific disciplines rely solely on what can be directly observed?� Can we directly observe the atoms in a molecule, or the interior of the earth?

I'm not saying observational evidence is mandatory, but there should be at least some evidence to make a theory look plausible--TE has no credible evidence to prove the transition of one species to another.

No non-human ever became a human.� Are you sure you understand the theory? Wink

Great! Based on your statement at least we are clear that human beings have a stand-alone origin with no genetic connection whatsoever with other non-human beings.

So when an evolutionary biologist says that 2% difference corresponds with a common ancestor about ten million years ago, you think he's just pulling a number out of his, umm, head?� You admit you're not qualified to discuss this, so how can you just casually dismiss their calculations?I don't know if you'd call it a universal law, but there is a generally agreed-upon approach to using DNA markers to estimate the time to most recent common ancestor (TMRCA).� You can read about various models here.� I suggest you click on the "Quick version" link.� The "very technical details" made my head hurt, and it's not even the most technical explanation I have seen.

You are not getting the point my friend. Just have a read at what they have written and you can clearly see that all their calculations are based on some basic assumptions:

There are two fundamental assumptions we need to deal with in order to translate an observed number of mutational differences into a probability distribution for the TMRCA: We must count the true number of mutations and we must be able to determine the rate of the clock (i.e., assumptions about the mutation rate)

Now the funny part is that what they are trying to fix through assumptions are again things that are the assumptions under a theory that have no proof whatsoever:

random mutations--just an assumption
mutation rate--just an assumption

My point is that the fundamentals of the theory of evolution itself are at best only assumptions and then what you do is add more assumptions to these assumptions to fix some imaginary parameters and then run a probabilistic model to determine another approximate TMRCA--the whole thing is just only assumptions on assumptions and nothing else.

The hilarious part still is that then you project this very TMRCA as a proof for the very theory the assumptions under which have been used as the basis for calculating the TMRCA

Because it would take longer than the lifetime of the human experimenter.� But please explain what you mean by "creature".� There is a pretty compelling fossil record showing the progression of the ancient eohippus to modern day horses and zebras over fifty million years.� Are the eohippus, the modern horse and the zebra all the same "creature"?

I can clarify what I mean by the "creature":the eohippus, the modern horse and the zebra are all different creatures.

Now referring to your TMRCA link, the assumption is 1 mutation happens in every 500 generations. So if the E.Coli could have 12 mutations in a lab, why not an experiment be designed to cross at least one creature barrier?

If I had DNA evidence showing that you and your cousin shared a common ancestor (i.e., your grandparents), would I need experimental or observational evidence to back it up?� Do I need to dig up your grandfather's grave?

As I already explained, you have a strong observational evidence that a human DNA always produces a human DNA and I have no problems in accepting a scientific tool that has practically demonstrated its effectiveness over a considerable number of cases with a very low margin of error in establishing genetic lineage within humans. But how on earth the same DNA analysis be extrapolated to establish a human to non-human genetic connection with no evidence at all!

1. It's called natural selection.2. It's called mutation.3. We have oodles of evidence of DNA transitions.� What you're looking for is evidence that crosses some arbitrary "creature" boundary.� Unfortunately you haven't defined this boundary, nor offered any mechanism that could explain how it is determined or why it cannot be crossed.

1 and 2 are concepts in paper with no credible evidence.

3. I have already explained what I mean by "creature": the eohippus, the modern horse and the zebra are all different creatures.

The "creature" boundary is less stringent compared to the "species" boundary to cross based on the kind of definitions we have. But unfortunately there are no credible evidence to establish the assumptions made under TE as facts for any of these boundary crossings.

I'm applying exactly the same rules of evidence for a common ancestor between chimps and humans as we use to demonstrate a common ancestor between you and your cousin.� There's nothing blind about it.

There are no evidence for the assumptions under TE bringing about changes that can cause "creature" or "species" changes. As I already explained the argument that DNA analysis proves evolution itself is wrong as the very method uses the assumptions under TE as facts to come at the TMRCA

Why not?� Why is it valid to compare you and your cousin's DNA, but not to compare human and chimp DNA?� Ah yes, that nebulous "creature boundary"! [IMG]smileys/smiley36.gif" align="absmiddle" alt="LOL" />

I'm not sure if you still want to keep the title of the thread the same--results from an analysis assuming the assumptions under a theory as facts being projected as the proof for that very theory

It's not about individual survival.� It's about tribal or species survival.� You don't think that belief in a divine protector or a heavenly reward might encourage warriors to fight harder and longer to protect their tribe, or conquer other tribes?� You don't think songs and stories lauding brave soldiers might do the same?

Great! That's why we don't see any of those non-fighting humans including women being religious or interested in songs and stories.   
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quranexplorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2015 at 11:32am
Originally posted by airmano airmano wrote:

@QE

...and you still haven't answered the question whether wolfs/dogs and tiger/lions are of the same species for you (or not).

Strange isn't it ?

Airmano

As I already mentioned, the definition is clear and the facts are verifiable for someone to reach own conclusions.

However, since you insist, here we go:

The definition I gave you is based on interbreeding and I think Tim the plumber already confirmed that interbreeding is possible between the above pairs and so these pairs should be falling under the same species according to the definition, I think.
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2015 at 11:43pm
@QE
At least you say "I think" at the end of your last sentence, indicating that you're not sure .
By doing so you implicitly admit that the definition of "species" is by far not as clear as you tried to insinuate in your earlier wall of smoke. That's also why the term "creating a new species" is a rather pointless one.
Although dogs and wolves are still sort of the same species, a chiwawa and a wolf could barely interbreed for purely "technical reasons".
With your definition you could as well look at them as two different species (not capable of interbreeding) with the Chiwawa being man-made.
Looking at Dogs and Wolves they show some distinct differences over only 15-30ky already (hardly striving for "breeding goals" until very recently anyway).
Why is it so difficult to extrapolate that they could/would separate into two different species (= "rather different animals") after millions of years ?

BTW: what's about this one: Humanzee
and:
In disagreement to what you say there is a rather clear idea on when/how humans and apes split: Human Ancestor

To finish: You still haven't come up with a better model which could explain why the DNA within the apes (and relative to us) is so similar.

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 30 March 2015 at 10:30am
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2015 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by Quranexplorer Quranexplorer wrote:

I'm not saying observational evidence is mandatory, but there should be at least some evidence to make a theory look plausible--TE has no credible evidence to prove the transition of one species to another.

Of course you're saying its mandatory.  That's what you've been demanding throughout this discussion.

No non-human ever became a human.  Are you sure you understand the theory?

Great! Based on your statement at least we are clear that human beings have a stand-alone origin with no genetic connection whatsoever with other non-human beings.

Okay, I was kidding before about your not understanding the theory (the point being that changes occur between generations, not within an individual), but now I'm beginning to think that you really don't understand it.

Your constant demand for direct evidence of species change is counter to evolution theory, which postulates that such change is gradual, over millions of years.  If somebody demonstrated a species change in a lab, that would more likely be evidence against evolution, not for it.

I think part of the problem is that you look horizontally, across the tips of the branches of the evolutionary tree of life, and you see very distinct species.  And so you expect to find the same kind of species distiction in the vertical direction, along the limbs and branches as well.  But that's not how it works.

A chimp and a human are obviously different, and nobody would expect a chimp to give birth to a human or vice versa.  If we take the definition of species to be the ability to interbreed and create viable offspring, then we would never expect an animal to give birth to an infant of a different species (let alone "become" a different species).

And yet, over thousands of generations, the species genome (as encoded in DNA) gradually changes.  We can see those changes by direct observation as well as by experimentation.  We can also see the eventual effect of those changes over millions of years in the fossil record, and by comparing DNA of related species, which documents the family relationships among current species and confirms the predictions of the theory of evolution.

Quote Now the funny part is that what they are trying to fix through assumptions are again things that are the assumptions under a theory that have no proof whatsoever:

random mutations--just an assumption
mutation rate--just an assumption

Sorry, you're misreading the page.  (Not terribly surprising because it wasn't written with non-technical readers in mind.)  These are two assumption made in the mathematical model, not in the theory of evolution.  The model only works if those two assumptions hold true, but both assumptions have been exhaustively studied and confirmed experimentally and observationally.

Quote I can clarify what I mean by the "creature":the eohippus, the modern horse and the zebra are all different creatures.

That's not a definition.  It's just an arbitrary statement.  Why are they different creatures, and why does it matter to evolution?

Quote Now referring to your TMRCA link, the assumption is 1 mutation happens in every 500 generations. So if the E.Coli could have 12 mutations in a lab, why not an experiment be designed to cross at least one creature barrier?

Because there is no such thing as a "creature barrier".  Unless you mean a transition from one contemporary species to another (from leaf to leaf in the family tree), which won't happen because that's not how evolution works.

Quote As I already explained, you have a strong observational evidence that a human DNA always produces a human DNA and I have no problems in accepting a scientific tool that has practically demonstrated its effectiveness over a considerable number of cases with a very low margin of error in establishing genetic lineage within humans. But how on earth the same DNA analysis be extrapolated to establish a human to non-human genetic connection with no evidence at all!

The DNA analysis is the evidence.  (Well, that plus the abundant fossil record.)  You want to erect a mythical "creature barrier" with no evidence at all.Wink  Not even an adequate definition of what you mean by "creature", let alone any suggestion of why mutations should know to stay within its boundaries.

It's not about individual survival.  It's about tribal or species survival.  You don't think that belief in a divine protector or a heavenly reward might encourage warriors to fight harder and longer to protect their tribe, or conquer other tribes?  You don't think songs and stories lauding brave soldiers might do the same?

Great! That's why we don't see any of those non-fighting humans including women being religious or interested in songs and stories.

I would respond to this if I could figure out what point you are trying to make.  You only have to look at groups like Al Queda and ISIS to see how religious convictions (true or false) can inspire warriors to self-sacrifice and thus promote the ideology -- and the genome.
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2015 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Quranexplorer Quranexplorer wrote:

Originally posted by airmano airmano wrote:

@QE

Strange isn't it ?

Airmano

As I already mentioned, the definition is clear and the facts are verifiable for someone to reach own conclusions.

However, since you insist, here we go:

The definition I gave you is based on interbreeding and I think Tim the plumber already confirmed that interbreeding is possible between the above pairs and so these pairs should be falling under the same species according to the definition, I think.

OK, so you say that lions and tigers are the same species.

What about house cats? With artifical insemination you could probably get an interbreeding.

How about donkeys and horses and zebras?

I know it sounds like I am being just a devil's advocate and winding you up but this is the problem. What ever definition of species you use there are vast numbers of examples where it is difficult to say which side of the line it falls.

The genetic difference between humans and chimps is less than that between donkeys and zebras. If you call donkeys, horses and zebras the same species then all of the great apes and the same species.

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quranexplorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2015 at 6:12am

Of course you're saying its mandatory. That's what you've been demanding throughout this discussion.

The whole point I have been making from the beginning is that TE is a set of assumptions with no credible evidence at all:

1.     When we talk about observational evidences, you say it�s not possible as allegedly the theory assumes these changes happen in millions of years�so for whatever reason, we don�t have any observational evidence.
2.     When we talk about experimental evidence, you say it�s not possible for 1) thanks to the millions of years assumption 2) you think it�s actually counter to the theory(?)�so for whatever reason, we don�t have experimental evidence.
3.     Now coming to the transitional fossils which was the biggest worry for Darwin, still remains a worry as there are no credible signs of such a thing.

Based on the above facts when I say TE is just a theory, you say even gravitation is a theory�but again that argument doesn�t stand as gravitation has clear observational and experimental evidence to its credit.

Then you say leave all these evidences and just look at the DNA evidence, which as I explained earlier is not an independent proof as it�s just a mathematical model based on the assumptions under the very TE which it tries to prove.

So based on the above, the objective part is clear�TE has no proof and can never be proved and even as a theory it�s far inferior to its other family members.

The only point of discussion remaining now is the subjective part�whether one should choose to believe in TE based on one�s own reasons and judgements�as I have made clear many times earlier, this is absolutely a personal choice.

What is surprising though is the visible double standards of the proponents of TE�they would fight with tooth and nail and ask for proofs when someone says the visible signs around us clearly points to an ultimate creator, but have no qualms whatsoever to accept a theory with no proofs at all as fact!

Now coming to the subjective part on reasoning, is it not surprising that a book 1400 years ago, wherever it agrees with modern science when it makes any scientific references gets it absolutely spot on, and wherever it differs from modern science, the modern science is left wanting for proofs and with serious criticisms�in all these there are signs for those choose to think in the right direction.

Okay, I was kidding before about your not understanding the theory (the point being that changes occur between generations, not within an individual), but now I'm beginning to think that you really don't understand it.Your constant demand for direct evidence of species change is counter to evolution theory, which postulates that such change is gradual, over millions of years. If somebody demonstrated a species change in a lab, that would more likely be evidence against evolution, not for it.I think part of the problem is that you look horizontally, across the tips of the branches of the evolutionary tree of life, and you see very distinct species. And so you expect to find the same kind of species distiction in the vertical direction, along the limbs and branches as well. But that's not how it works.A chimp and a human are obviously different, and nobody would expect a chimp to give birth to a human or vice versa. If we take the definition of species to be the ability to interbreed and create viable offspring, then we would never expect an animal to give birth to an infant of a different species (let alone "become" a different species).And yet, over thousands of generations, the species genome (as encoded in DNA) gradually changes. We can see those changes by direct observation as well as by experimentation. We can also see the eventual effect of those changes over millions of years in the fossil record, and by comparing DNA of related species, which documents the family relationships among current species and confirms the predictions of the theory of evolution.

Come on, you made a statement on the theory, I just restated it in more explicit terms and then you come with an explanation that your earlier statement was in fact not correct and then you blame it on my understanding�in fact it seems the whole thing just shows a lack of your understanding or your inability to state things unambiguously�anyway, I won�t waste time on such discussions as I think people tend to divert to such discussions when they face a massive lack of real arguments.

Coming to the second part of your explanation, I have no problems with your theoretical beliefs. But when it comes to evidences, I can see lot of contradicting statements:

1.     You say direct evidence for evolution is counter to TE, but at the same time you say �We can see those changes by direct observation as well as by experimentation��so what are you trying to say? You have observational and experimental evidence or you don�t have?
2.     You say you can see the evidence in millions of years of fossil records, but at the same time you don�t see even one complete transitional fossils for transition of one species to another, and someone even says it is not possible to have these fossil records as they simply do not survive for such long durations�so where do you have these fossil records?
3.     Comparison of DNA evidence�a scientific evidence for a theory has to be independent of the assumptions under the theory which is not the case with the DNA analysis in your link

Sorry, you're misreading the page. (Not terribly surprising because it wasn't written with non-technical readers in mind.) These are two assumption made in the mathematical model, not in the theory of evolution. The model only works if those two assumptions hold true, but both assumptions have been exhaustively studied and confirmed experimentally and observationally.

I think the thermal engineering texts from my university days had more complex stuff than what is written in that link. But if you think there is something you find too technical, let me know and In Sha Allah I can explain you�but again I prefer not to waste time on such discussions that people tend to divert when facing shortage of real arguments.

However, we have more wrong statements and contradictions here:

1.     You say mutation is not an assumption under evolution�you are wrong, it is.
2.     If you say the evolutionary changes happens in millions of years which in fact depend on mutations and then you say the evolutionary changes can neither be observed and nor be experimentally shown�then how on earth you say random mutations and mutation rates have been studied and confirmed observationally and experimentally?

Ultimately both the theory and the model are based on assumptions and some common ones�how can such a model provide an independent proof for evolution?

That's not a definition. It's just an arbitrary statement. Why are they different creatures, and why does it matter to evolution?

Here�s the definition. The individual creatures/organisms are different as we see now and they matter to evolution because evolution postulates that all these individual creatures had a common descent, but fails to provide any proof whatsoever:
creature
ˈkriːtʃə/
noun
1.     1.
an animal, as distinct from a human being.
"night sounds of birds and other creatures"
synonyms:     animal, beast, brute; More
o     
o     
o     

2.     2.
a person or organization considered to be under the complete control of another.
"the village teacher was expected to be the creature of his employer"
synonyms:     minion, lackey, flunkey, hireling, subordinate, servant, retainer,vassal; More

Because there is no such thing as a "creature barrier". Unless you mean a transition from one contemporary species to another (from leaf to leaf in the family tree), which won't happen because that's not how evolution works.

As I already mentioned, I have no problems with one�s theoretical beliefs. In reality, you have no proof whatsoever for one to take evolution as a fact.

The DNA analysis is the evidence. (Well, that plus the abundant fossil record.) You want to erect a mythical "creature barrier" with no evidence at all.[IMG]smileys/smiley2.gif" align="absmiddle" alt="Wink" /> Not even an adequate definition of what you mean by "creature", let alone any suggestion of why mutations should know to stay within its boundaries.

DNA analysis not an evidence as long as you run the TMRCA model on a set of assumptions some common to the theory itself.
A creature is an individual organism as defined above. You have no proof whatsoever to suggest mutation leading to change of species. Even from a subjective reasoning point of view, all known mutations have been causing negative impacts leading to inferior results and not something that correlates to better survival.

I would respond to this if I could figure out what point you are trying to make. You only have to look at groups like Al Queda and ISIS to see how religious convictions (true or false) can inspire warriors to self-sacrifice and thus promote the ideology -- and the genome.

The point is that many behavioural and cognitive traits in humans do not show any real correlation with survival. It was not wars that necessitated humans to develop religion, but it was the other way around in many cases�so here the survival need came after the trait, maybe you need a reverse evolution to explain the trait of religion based on your argument.

And even songs and stories�you will see more of the songs and stories as a means to satisfy the softer sides of human emotions like love, happiness, sorrows etc. rather than exhorting men for wars�so again these doesn�t correlate with the survival advantage.

Coming to Al Queda, ISIS etc. I am just puzzled as any true Muslim would be that how could men perform such atrocities to humanity in the name of religion. Yet, again it was the religion that came first, then people are getting misguided, manipulated and maybe politically used to carry out these self sacrifices etc� so here again the survival need came after the trait, still you may need a reverse evolution to explain this based on your argument.
Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2015 at 11:17am
QE,

You have written a lot but not answered my question; How do you define species?

Your bringing in examples of human behaviour which do not seem to fit with a 100% competetive world is reasonable. But this is studied by science. The advantages of cooperation and in being trusted and like by your fellows very often out weigh any short term advantage. This is a big subject in the science of behavioural evolution.

The defining species thing is the most important bit though. Once you choose a definition you will see that it will never really work and automatically produces the evidence you keep asking for.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 15>
  Share Topic