IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Science & Technology
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - DNA Analysis proves evolution  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DNA Analysis proves evolution

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131415
Author
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2015 at 5:25am
Quote I must say the example doesn't make much sense in this context. If the location of the star is empirically proved, then locating individual molecules becomes totally irrelevant in that context. In what way that could be likened to DNA analysis being claimed to provide an empirical proof for evolution, when it doesn�t?

Because it does show which species are decended from which common ancestor. It is very clear. That we cannot identify the exact individual or sequence of individuals is not the question.

You do understand this.

Edited by Tim the plumber - 26 October 2015 at 5:25am
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2015 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by Quranexplorer Quranexplorer wrote:

I must say the example doesn't make much sense in this context. If the location of the star is empirically proved, then locating individual molecules becomes totally irrelevant in that context. In what way that could be likened to DNA analysis being claimed to provide an empirical proof for evolution, when it doesn�t?

The bolded phrase above assumes your conclusion and makes your argument circular.

Quote As I mentioned before, spectral analysis has worked as an empirical method on its full test subject on the earth without any extrapolations and its predictions are matched with observations also.

Spectral analysis has never been empirically proven at distances of millions of light years, just as DNA analysis has never been empirically proven at distances of millions of generations.  But both theories have been exhaustively tested in all sorts of other circumstances, and nobody doubts that they are valid.  The fact that there may be circumstances in which a particular theory cannot be empirically tested is not a reason to doubt that it would still apply.

Quote As individual human DNAs are different but with a 99.9% similarity, it has to be an approximation used for theoretical analysis. It definitely is not a property that can be empirically established.

Nonetheless, there is such a thing as "human DNA", even if we can't precisely define it.  We know this because innumerable DNA analyses show a 99.9% similarity among the "human family", just as we find a 99.999+% similarity among members of our immediate family, and a 96% similarity among the simian family, a 92% similarity among the mammalian family, and so on.

No one doubts that all humans do share common ancestors, even if we can't empirically prove it or even identify specific common ancestors as we can for our immediate families.  In that sense we do have an independent confirmation that DNA analysis is valid to show common ancestry (though not the specific ancestor) for at least thousands of generations.

So unless you can offer some reason to suppose that a technique which works for thousands of generations would cease to give correct results if we look back even further, IMHO you are in the same position as someone claiming that spectral analysis is fine in the lab and over distances short enough to be empirically verified, but breaks down over millions of light years.

Quote That's what it seems, for me the whole Theory of Evolution is nothing more than a Celestial Teapot, just like the concept of an ultimate creator seems to you.

So if you agree that it is impossible for me to sincerely believe in an ultimate Creator (as impossible as it would be for you to sincerely believe in the Celestial Teapot), why do you insist that I have a choice?  How can I choose to do the impossible?

Quote I use my reason and at the same time I acknowledge its limitation to be relied upon as the only way of guidance. For me it's hard to believe that this whole universe with all its inhabitants came in to being as a result of mere chance and without any purpose, and to believe that all these processes in the nature happen according to some set laws without the intervention of a supreme power. In Quran I find this supreme power, the explanation for the creation and sustenance, and the purpose of existence. I make my choice at this point and the available signs are more than enough for me to make this choice.

Nonetheless, you use your ability to reason in order to find this supreme power, understand the explanation and make this choice.  So your confidence in your choice can only be as strong as your ability to reason.  Which is pretty good, I'm sure (I think you're selling yourself short in downplaying it); but your earlier remark that "there is no guarantee that [one's] reason will guide him to the truth" applies just as much to you as to me.

Quote That's because your judgement is limited to what you see in the life of this world, whereas Allah's wisdom encompasses both the life of this world and the hereafter.

Sadly, that applies to both of us.  I'm not sure that's an answer, though.  You seem to be saying that if we had Allah's wisdom then we would have an answer to the so-called problem of evil.  But we don't have Allah's wisdom, so we don't know that.

It's kinda like saying, if I were a whole lot smarter than I am, I would be able to refute your argument.  Maybe, maybe not; but you could say that about anything.

Quote Now do you think your disbelief makes things any better?

Well, yeah.  Once we understand that the moral precepts of 1400 years ago no longer necessarily apply, we can stop persecuting people for irrelevancies like their choice of god, or sexual partner; and we can start to address the real issues in a modern pluralistic society, such as overpopulation and xenophobia.  If we could all agree to do that, things would definitely be much better.

Quote I don't know where you get this misconception that Allah is desperate to have someone believed...

Yes, perhaps I am too much influenced by Christianity.  Perhaps the Muslim God doesn't care about unbelievers.  Perhaps He created us because He takes pleasure in torturing us.

Quote If one willfully chooses to deny Allah in spite of having received a clear warning in the form of Quran among all the other signs available in the universe, then what is the point in blaming Allah for his failure? There were no proofs beyond any doubt for many things that science have found recently, so going by your argument does that mean those things didn't exist before such proofs were established?

I'm not sure what you're referring to, but whether something exists or not is a separate question from whether we believe it exists.  Neutrinos have always existed, for example, but nobody had even heard of them until a few decades ago.  Science has gradually become convinced of their existence, as evidence accumulated.
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
Quranexplorer View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quranexplorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2015 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

The bolded phrase above assumes your conclusion and makes your argument circular.

Even if we remove the phrase in bold to satisfy your belief, the example still doesn't hold good.

Spectral analysis has never been empirically proven at distances of millions of light years, just as DNA analysis has never been empirically proven at distances of millions of generations. But both theories have been exhaustively tested in all sorts of other circumstances, and nobody doubts that they are valid. The fact that there may be circumstances in which a particular theory cannot be empirically tested is not a reason to doubt that it would still apply.

Spectral analysis has been proven as an empirical method on the full test scope and it has not been proven that it fails at increased distances.

DNA analysis has not been proven on the full test scope of TE and at the same time it has been proven that it fails as an empirical method at increased genetic distances.

Nonetheless, there is such a thing as "human DNA", even if we can't precisely define it. We know this because innumerable DNA analyses show a 99.9% similarity among the "human family", just as we find a 99.999+% similarity among members of our immediate family, and a 96% similarity among the simian family, a 92% similarity among the mammalian family, and so on.No one doubts that all humans do share common ancestors, even if we can't empirically prove it or even identify specific common ancestors as we can for our immediate families. In that sense we do have an independent confirmation that DNA analysis is valid to show common ancestry (though not the specific ancestor) for at least thousands of generations.So unless you can offer some reason to suppose that a technique which works for thousands of generations would cease to give correct results if we look back even further, IMHO you are in the same position as someone claiming that spectral analysis is fine in the lab and over distances short enough to be empirically verified, but breaks down over millions of light years.

The problem is that the % similarities between the DNA of different species doesn't automatically lead to the conclusion that all these species shared a common ancestor at some point in history, breaking all the species barriers that are in existence today--and certainly not to a definitive conclusion to state a theory as scientifically "proved".

There is absolutely no reason for one to assume the DNA similarities among different species as an evidence to a common ancestor, especially when the transitional fossils are simply not there and no laboratory analysis has proven that mutations can lead to species changes.

So if you agree that it is impossible for me to sincerely believe in an ultimate Creator (as impossible as it would be for you to sincerely believe in the Celestial Teapot), why do you insist that I have a choice? How can I choose to do the impossible?

For me a choice exists as long as a matter cannot be established as fact with absolute proof.

Nonetheless, you use your ability to reason in order to find this supreme power, understand the explanation and make this choice. So your confidence in your choice can only be as strong as your ability to reason. Which is pretty good, I'm sure (I think you're selling yourself short in downplaying it); but your earlier remark that "there is no guarantee that [one's] reason will guide him to the truth" applies just as much to you as to me.

I agree I use my reason to make a choice. But having made that choice, I would say now my confidence in Allah far exceeds my confidence in my own reason. If there is anything that I am able to do well, it's only due to Allah's grace, and if there is something that I have fallen short, it's only my mistake--I would call it experiencing the "sweetness of Iman (faith)". It is something one has to feel himself, and I am not saying I am there yet, but Alhamdulillah at least I have felt it in my life and In Sha Allah I won't miss it for anything this world has to offer.

One example I can relate to myself is the transition I have undergone from being a "muslim by birth" to a "muslim by life". During the time I was just a "muslim by birth", I used to be afraid to discuss Islam and reason together. Now that I am trying to be a "muslim by life", Alhamdulillah, I just cannot think of anything more reasonable than being a muslim, and I am confident to discuss it with anyone who wishes to do so.

Sadly, that applies to both of us. I'm not sure that's an answer, though. You seem to be saying that if we had Allah's wisdom then we would have an answer to the so-called problem of evil. But we don't have Allah's wisdom, so we don't know that.It's kinda like saying, if I were a whole lot smarter than I am, I would be able to refute your argument. Maybe, maybe not; but you could say that about anything.

That's why I choose to keep my will in harmony with Allah's will and I can say it works perfectly for me.

Well, yeah. Once we understand that the moral precepts of 1400 years ago no longer necessarily apply, we can stop persecuting people for irrelevancies like their choice of god, or sexual partner; and we can start to address the real issues in a modern pluralistic society, such as overpopulation and xenophobia. If we could all agree to do that, things would definitely be much better.

That's more of a wish, not something based on facts or reason. Here's some data on the major man-made conflicts and the casualties. Just have a look at the list and it should be a plain fact that nothing has caused more damage to humanity than man's materialistic intentions.

And do you think Islam is the reason for not addressing the real issues of a modern pluralistic society? There is a wonderful concept of United Nations, which if utilized for the real purpose of addressing the issues of humanity, could be such an effective way to solve many issues. Who has made it as a rubber stamp to act on the wishes of a select few? I would say establish UN with its real authority and we can solve many of the issues that we see today--unfortunately none of the self proclaimed problem solvers would want that to happen. So we may still see vetoing of justified resolutions, invasions based on unjustified reasons and non-action against blatant human rights violations etc. that really fuels many of the unrest

Now that makes me wonder how easily people fall prey to the Islamophobia propaganda whilst completely turning a blind eye to the root cause for most of the problems that we see today.

Yes, perhaps I am too much influenced by Christianity. Perhaps the Muslim God doesn't care about unbelievers. Perhaps He created us because He takes pleasure in torturing us.

I don't see the reason for sending countless prophets with his revelations if Allah didn't care about humans.

I'm not sure what you're referring to, but whether something exists or not is a separate question from whether we believe it exists. Neutrinos have always existed, for example, but nobody had even heard of them until a few decades ago. Science has gradually become convinced of their existence, as evidence accumulated.

So there is no scientific case to deny something as non-existent in the absence of evidences as nobody can be sure when such evidences could be established.
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2015 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Quranexplorer Quranexplorer wrote:

Even if we remove the phrase in bold to satisfy your belief, the example still doesn't hold good.

It's still fallacy of composition.  You're arguing that because DNA analysis can't identify individuals at dozens of generations distance, therefore it is useless in tracking groups and families for that distance.  It just doesn't follow.

Quote Spectral analysis has been proven as an empirical method on the full test scope and it has not been proven that it fails at increased distances.

Your "full test scope" does not include millions of light-years.

Quote DNA analysis has not been proven on the full test scope of TE and at the same time it has been proven that it fails as an empirical method at increased genetic distances.

But it has been proven over the "full test scope" (whatever that means) for short genetic distances, just as spectral analysis has been tested over short physical distances.

Quote The problem is that the % similarities between the DNA of different species doesn't automatically lead to the conclusion that all these species shared a common ancestor at some point in history, breaking all the species barriers that are in existence today--and certainly not to a definitive conclusion to state a theory as scientifically "proved".

It has been proved to the extent that if you claim that you and I are second cousins, but DNA analysis says we do not share a common ancestor for at least dozens of generations, no court is going to doubt the scientific evidence.

Quote For me a choice exists as long as a matter cannot be established as fact with absolute proof.

So you could choose to believe in the Celestial Teapot?  Really??

Quote I agree I use my reason to make a choice. But having made that choice, I would say now my confidence in Allah far exceeds my confidence in my own reason.

Your confidence in the conclusion cannot exceed your confidence in the tools (including your own reasoning ability) you used to reach that conclusion.  This is so basic that I'm not sure how to unpack it further.

Quote That's why I choose to keep my will in harmony with Allah's will and I can say it works perfectly for me.

And by "it works", you mean it's comforting.  That may be so, and I can understand how a comforting myth can be seductive, but things do not become true merely because you want them to be true.

Quote That's more of a wish, not something based on facts or reason.

It's certainly a wish, but I think it's also a reasonable assumption.  If people stop hating each other, there's a good chance they'll stop persecuting and killing each other as well.

Quote Here's some data on the major man-made conflicts and the casualties. Just have a look at the list and it should be a plain fact that nothing has caused more damage to humanity than man's materialistic intentions.

It's true that there are many more reasons why people hate each other than just religion, but you were asking me specifically about how "my disbelief" might make things better, so i answered on that basis.

Looking down your list, I see a lot of conflict that is generated or at least fueled by religion.  "Man's materialistic intentions" have also played a role, but it's not obvious to me that it is has caused more damage than anything else.  I would say that ethnic rivalries are the number one cause, and religious differences are very often a factor in that.

Quote And do you think Islam is the reason for not addressing the real issues of a modern pluralistic society?

I don't mean to pick on Islam particularly.  I'm thinking in terms of religious fundamentalism more generally.  I agree that there are many other real issues, and all of them ought to be addressed if we can.

Quote I don't see the reason for sending countless prophets with his revelations if Allah didn't care about humans.

As far as I can tell, the prophets were sent for believers, not for unbelievers.  But Allah allegedly knows in advance who will believe, and who will not; so why create all those unbelievers, knowing that we will be consigned to Hell for eternity?  It can only be because he wants to torture us.

Quote So there is no scientific case to deny something as non-existent in the absence of evidences as nobody can be sure when such evidences could be established.

In the absence of evidence either way, there is no scientific case to be made at all.  Occam's Razor is more of philosophical position; and philosophically, it makes sense not to assume the existence of something for which there is no evidence.  That's not quite the same thing as denying it.  We remain open to evidence which might change our opinion, but in the meantime, we don't clutter up our worldview with myriads of unprovable speculations, from Allah to Quetzalcoatl, and from Russell's Celestial Teapot to the invisible dragon in Carl Sagan's garage.

Edited by Ron Webb - 30 October 2015 at 5:39pm
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2015 at 3:45am
Quote The problem is that the % similarities between the DNA of different species doesn't automatically lead to the conclusion that all these species shared a common ancestor at some point in history, breaking all the species barriers that are in existence today--and certainly not to a definitive conclusion to state a theory as scientifically "proved".

There is absolutely no reason for one to assume the DNA similarities among different species as an evidence to a common ancestor, especially when the transitional fossils are simply not there and no laboratory analysis has proven that mutations can lead to species changes.

1, It's not just the % of similarities that show the path of ancestry and the common ancestry of all life on earth it's the way the chemistry works which shows it.

2, Mutation that leads to new species has been seen in the lab and in the natural world. Lots!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131415
  Share Topic