IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Who is Jesus?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who is Jesus?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gospelmap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who is Jesus?
    Posted: 08 December 2005 at 11:22am

Jesus is called The sinless one (surah 19:19), The anointed one (Al masiha) , the word of God (kalimatullah) and the spirit of God (Ruhuallah) (Surah 4:171;surah 3:45 ; surah 5:109) .

This title is not applied to any messenger, prophets and  not even to muhammed. What does that tells of Jesus?

Adam was created from Dust whereas  the source of Jesus is The word of God (kalimatuallah) and the spirit of God (Ruhallah).If we merely apply  the expression in Surah 58.22 to ruhuallah as god himself to the very same expression given as a title to Jesus in Surah 4.171 for ruhallah, we can only conclude that Jesus is the "divine spirit",

He is called an example (Sura 43:57), teacher (Sura 2 :136), a witness (Sura 5:117), righteous (Sura 6:85), healer (Sura 5:110), mercy (Sura 19:21), a messenger (Sura 5:78), a prophet (Sura 33:7), a servant (Sura 4:171), a sign (Sura 19:34, 21:91), a word of truth (Sura 19:34), honorable (Sura 3:45), blessed (Sura 19:32), sinless (Sura 19:19), and One confirmed with the Spirit of God (Sura 5:109).

1. He was sinless (faultless) (Sura 19:19) in contrast to:
  2. Adam Suras 2:36, 7:22-23
    Abraham Sura 26:82
    Moses Sura 28:15-16
    Jonah Sura 37:142
    David Sura 38:24-25
    Mohammed Suras 40:55, 47:19, 48:1-2, 33:36-38;
    and all other men;
  3. He will return to this earth to judge mankind, (Sura 43:61) Jesus said �The Father judges no none but has given all judgement to the Son, that all may honor the Son, even as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent him." John 5:22-23

Can any prophets, messengers or even muhammed match up to that ?

Jesus said "Your father Abraham rejoiced that he was to see my day; he saw it, and was glad". And, "I tell you the truth, before Abraham was born, I am!" (John. 8:56-58 )

Show us the straight way (Quran-Alfatiha 1:6):

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life for no one comes to the father except through me (John 14:6)

Edited by gospelmap
AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2005 at 2:19pm

Originally posted by gospelmap gospelmap wrote:

Jesus is called The sinless one (surah 19:19), The anointed one (Al masiha) , the word of God (kalimatullah) and the spirit of God (Ruhuallah) (Surah 4:171;surah 3:45 ; surah 5:109)

My bro gospelmap, probably you missed out what Jesus himself has called for himself, and i.e. the servant of God  and the Prophet of God[19:30]. Here is the fully text from three translators.

YUSUFALI: He said: "I am indeed a servant of Allah: He hath given me revelation and made me a prophet;
PICKTHAL: He spake: Lo! I am the slave of Allah. He hath given me the Scripture and hath appointed me a Prophet,
SHAKIR: He said: Surely I am a servant of Allah; He has given me the Book and made me a prophet;

freebird View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freebird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2005 at 3:51pm

Jesus is called The sinless one (surah 19:19), The anointed one (Al masiha) , the word of God (kalimatullah) and the spirit of God (Ruhuallah) (Surah 4:171;surah 3:45 ; surah 5:109) .

This title is not applied to any messenger, prophets and  not even to muhammed. What does that tells of Jesus?

We are as muslims are trained to respect the messengers as human with missions and we don't make them more than the simple explanation that there is no distinction between them.

You should not muddy for something that is clear which I am afraid it will make it muddier - and you will regret this. I believe we better leave him as he is - as a unique person for you.

Just know the messengers as they are - as we were tought and don't push it beyond that, unless of course if you want it to.

sufi_observer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sufi_observer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2005 at 8:24pm

The word in 19:19 is "zakiiya," which means "pure" or "purified." It is also used to describe the youth in 18:74, where there is clearly no implication of sinlessness. This argument is invalid.

DavidC View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2005 at 3:46am
Hello Gospelmap.

It's good to see another Christian commenting on the wisdom of the Qu'ran.
Welcome aboard.
Christian; Wesleyan M.Div.
gospelmap View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gospelmap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2005 at 4:49am
Originally posted by AhmadJoyia AhmadJoyia wrote:

Jesus is called The sinless one (surah 19:19), The anointed one (Al masiha) , the word of God (kalimatullah) and the spirit of God (Ruhuallah) (Surah 4:171;surah 3:45 ; surah 5:109)

My bro gospelmap, probably you missed out what Jesus himself has called for himself, and i.e. the servant of God  and the Prophet of God[19:30]. Here is the fully text from three translators.

YUSUFALI: He said: "I am indeed a servant of Allah: He hath given me revelation and made me a prophet;
PICKTHAL: He spake: Lo! I am the slave of Allah. He hath given me the Scripture and hath appointed me a Prophet,
SHAKIR: He said: Surely I am a servant of Allah; He has given me the Book and made me a prophet;

Dear friend ahmad

I am sure we are not quarelling about a christian and muslim debate but searching for the truth as we all are pilgrims in this world seeking to know God.we are trying to maximise our thoughts to know who is God through the revelations granted to us.so being a co-partners in knowing God and his revelations we have to arrive at a point were we unite with God's will and light.so that we can walk in the light.

No one denies that Jesus christ is the prophet and also as servant of God.The bible tells that Jesus had two nature when he was on earth-the human and divine.hence in his human nature he was prophet,slave,servant etc.being in his human nature he prayed,wept,was in pain,worshipped the father etc. but in his divine nature he is indeed ruhualla and kalimatulla.There are many other verses that I gave with the titles above that is in quran. But looking at some of the verses in quran and bible itself Jesus christ does not seems or appears to me only a prophet.It goes beyond his prophethood to his divinity.The bible affirms that Jesus was a prophet too ,but it goes further to tell he is divine too just as we see in the titles given in quran.the titles carries a deep meaning which are not explaind in detail in the quran wereas the bible gives the full expression that to be sinless (pure,faultless,holy),Al masiha, word of God and spirit of God is not just prophethood but requires divinity . this titles was reserved only for Jesus in the quran and the bible.no other prophet or messenger has that title and neither they claimed themselves to be.

AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2005 at 7:32am

My dear and sweet brother gospelmap, thanks for your so much needed reconcilliatory words, especially from among my Christian brothers. It is of my utmost desire that we all must discuss our opinions with utmost regards to other's beliefs and yet put forward our own, thereby respecting other's difference of opinion. On this note, I actually appreciate your thoughts when you say

"I am sure we are not quarelling about a christian and muslim debate but searching for the truth as we all are pilgrims in this world seeking to know God.we are trying to maximise our thoughts to know who is God through the revelations granted to us." Especially in your following sentence, I can't help it but to highly acknowledge the good will gesture that is shown to understand and come to common terms."so being a co-partners in knowing God and his revelations we have to arrive at a point were we unite with God's will and light.so that we can walk in the light."

In that tone, I would like you to let me know from where you want to discuss about Prophet Jesus, from Quran or from Bible? Since you have already highlighted some of your thoughts from the Bible, it will be prudent for me to reply to these comments and let you decide, in the meanwhile.

To begin with your comments from the Bible, where you say "No one denies that Jesus christ is the prophet and also as servant of God.The bible tells that Jesus had two nature when he was on earth-the human and divine." Without questioning the authenticity of Bible books themselves, for the time being, I simply ask you to put forward your evidence from the Bible (NT or OT) where this duality of Jesus is clearly described by Jesus himself or from his 12 diciples and not from the understanding of some others. Isn't this a fair question, if all our faith is based upon this concept?

But looking at some of the verses in quran and bible itself Jesus christ does not seems or appears to me only a prophet.It goes beyond his prophethood to his divinity.The bible affirms that Jesus was a prophet too ,but it goes further to tell he is divine too just as we see in the titles given in quran.the titles carries a deep meaning which are not explaind in detail in the quran wereas the bible gives the full expression that to be sinless (pure,faultless,holy),Al masiha, word of God and spirit of God is not just prophethood but requires divinity .

Here, my bro, I would like to draw a clear distinction b/w what is known from the verses with relatively clearer understanding as compared with what is construed to be known through the human philosopy developed generations after the Jesus. It is in this regard, we as co-Abrahamic religionists, clearly know that our God is just one and only one. Isn't it written in the famous 10 commandments of OT and thus known to my Jewish brother as well? Don't you agree with me on this? So, let us focus on this what is clearly known, beyond doubt, and leave things to God which we are made to believe to understand through human philosophy, developed through un-clear verses, may it in Quran or in Bible. So, first thing first, we must profess, all togather, that there is no god but God, to whom both our prophets, Jesus and Mohammad also prayed. This is, not to say what other identities Jesus must have or not have, but to clear the slate from whatever is known and then discuss about what is being told to us through implied meanings. Can we begin our discussion on that note?? Hope to hear some good and interesting discussion from that on. May God be with every one of us. Amen.

Edited by AhmadJoyia
gospelmap View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gospelmap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2005 at 10:44pm
[QUOTE=AhmadJoyia]

Without questioning the authenticity of Bible books themselves, for the time being, I simply ask you to put forward your evidence from the Bible (NT or OT) where this duality of Jesus is clearly described by Jesus himself or from his 12 diciples and not from the understanding of some others. Isn't this a fair question, if all our faith is based upon this concept?

Thanks for the quick response. Due to space and readability limit I will answer this first question and then move on to later.I appreaciate what you said  that to know about Jesus, we need to look at what Jesus told about himself  to his disciples and then what the disciples wrote what they heard from  him and also what the old testament says about the messiah.you are right in saying that we cannot rely upon the contents apart from these sources. in our discussions we are free to disagree and ask pointed questions and refrences.

Considering that jesus came 2000 years ago and after his ascension into heaven around 33-34 Ad ,its imperative for us to look into the sources- 1.That are aviliable closer to that period.2.From the eye witnesses and people of the first century since they were the closest to that events and hence can give us what actually took place.hence more logically plausible and reliable (hence will also be accepted in the court of justice). hence if today after many centuries, If I suddenly come up with the idea other than what was written by the eye witnesses, then it will  be logically incorrect and rejected even if I claim that this has been revealed by God to me through supernatural means and visions.since many people can make such claims apart from me  in any century. For example if after many centuries I come up saying God has reavaled to me that Jesus christ was nothing but a clown and actor who worked in a circus then then I will be demanded the evidences and I cannot Just say that God has reveald to me, since thats not an evidence but a mere allegation.hence my source must be into the records of people who actually were present in the first century either themselves or with people who were eye witnesses. therefore my source to talk about Jesus christ is the records or document or dairy  (a modern term) of his followers and their associates of the first century which is called the new testament.

The new testament is written by the followers of Jesus christ of what they saw ,heard,learnt,memorised from Jesus and then wrote it down after the ascension of Jesus christ to heaven.

Also it should be noted highly that the context of Jesus is Jewish and  happenings are in israel and not western or asian or arabic.hence we also need to note what the traditional jews understood by terms that were used for God.For example :the word " I AM" or alpha and omega was supposed to be used only by God and if anyone uses it other than God then the person speaking is actually blashpheming as per the jewish faith because he/she is  claiming to be God.

Jesus own claims about being divine as recorded by his followers and some reaction by the  jews:

1.Jesus said �The Father and I are one. Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him�because that you, being a man, makes thyself God. (John 10:31-33)

2."Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the Sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God." (John 5:18)

3.Jesus said anyone who has seen me has seen (God) the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? (John 14:9)

4. Jesus said "Your father Abraham rejoiced that he was to see my day; he saw it, and was glad". And, "I tell you the truth, before Abraham was born, I AM. At this, they picked up stones to stone him. (John. 8:56-59 )

(Note : the actual Greek words 'ego eimi', translated (I AM). When Jesus used the "I AM" construction he was speaking in the style of deity which was only used by God."

5. Jesus said I am the first(al-Awwal) and the last(al-Akhir), ,and the living One; and I was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of death and of Hell," (Rev. 1:17-18).

6.Again the high priest asked him, and said unto him, Art thou the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?. And Jesus said, "I am": and ye shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven .The high priest tore his clothes "why do we need any more witnesses?"..you have heard the blasphemy.what do you think?(Mark 14:61-63)

These are but few direct verses in the bible that showed Jesus claimed to be divine also looking at the reactions that generated from jesus claim shows they understood that jesus christ was claiming to be the divine son of God.there was no need for them to react such a way IF he was merely claiming to be a prophet or a man or child of God.

Now the writings of the apostles of christ. again there are many but I will quote few.

1.Phil. 2:5-8, "Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, although He existed as God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7 but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a crosson than the Father

2."For in christ all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form,"(Col 2:9)

3.And Thomas answered and said unto Jesus, My LORD and my God. Here Jesus did not correct Thomas by saying � I am not God � or he could have said �I am a mere prophet� but he actually accepted his worship and his confession as both lord and God. (John 20:28)

4.He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. (Col 1:15-17)

5.In the beginning was the Word , and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (John 1:1-2)

I hope these few verses will put the things in perscpective to what I was referring from the bible.

Edited by gospelmap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic