IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Quran & Sunnah
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Names of Allah (SWT)  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Names of Allah (SWT)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Names of Allah (SWT)
    Posted: 04 March 2005 at 7:46pm
Topic: Names of All�h (SWT) (1 of 10), Read 35 times
Conf: Islam: Qur'an and Sunnah
Date: Thursday, July 08, 2004 09:56 PM

Names of All�h (SWT)

Al-A'raf
[180] The most beautiful names belong to Allah: so call on Him by them; but shun such men as use profanity in His names: for what they do, they will soon be requited.

Al-Israa
[110] Say: "Call upon Allah, or call upon Rahman: by whatever name ye call upon Him, (it is well): for to Him belong the Most Beautiful Names. Neither speak thy prayer aloud, nor speak it in a low tone, but seek a middle course between."

Ta-Ha
[8] Allah! there is no god but He! To Him belong the Most Beautiful Names.

Al-Hashr
[24] He is Allah, the Creator, the Evolver, the Bestower of Forms (or Colours). To Him belong the Most Beautiful Names: whatever is in the heavens and on earth, doth declare His Praises and Glory; and He is the Exalted in Might, the Wise.

Fussilat
[53]" We shall show them Our Signs upon the horizons and within themselves until it is clear to them that it is the Real (the Truth)"

Allah Self-disclosed through the manifestation of the Most Beautiful Names of which one Hadith relates the following Ninety-Nine Names of All�h:

Abu Hurairah, may Allah be pleased with him, reported:
Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: There are ninety-nine names of Allah; he who commits them to memory will be admitted to Paradise. Verily, Allah is Witr (He is one, and it is an odd number) and He loves odd numbers.

Yusuf

Topic: Names of All�h (SWT) (2 of 10), Read 34 times
Date: Thursday, July 08, 2004 09:57 PM

All�h

"He is Allah; there is no Allah but He...." (59:22)

Allah is unique in terms of true Being. No other being can be said to exist `of itself'. In fact, "Everything perishes except His Presence (Face)" (28:88). It is probable that the name All�h occurs to indicate the Absolute in the same way that proper nouns denote particular things. Everything that can be said, however, in respect of the origin of the word is from the human point of view, that is, relative and arbitrary.

As Allah breathed His Spirit on the human form it can aspire to actualize Allah's Qualities but the possibility of this occurring is limited and relative to our own natural disposition--which Allah gave us--and the extent of our directing our motivations and perceptions towards this goal. However, gaining knowledge of Allah's Most Beautiful Names and assuming them as noble or praiseworthy character traits whatever possible makes us in no way comparable to Allah's likeness. The Qur'an clearly states, "Naught is as His likeness" (16:74) nor should one consider that sharing in every quality means a likeness. Likeness is defined as sharing in a specific thing and in essence. A horse and a human being may both be swift but their likeness ends here.

The meaning of the name is so specific that it is inconceivable that there could be any sharing of the Name whether it be metaphorically or literally. In view of this, the rest of the Names are described as being the Names of All�h and are defined in relation to All�h. One may say that the Patient, the Compeller, and the Sovereign are among the Names of All�h but one cannot say that All�h is one of the Names of the Patient, the Compeller, the Sovereign. This is because the Name All�h, is more indicative of the true nature of the meaning of divinity and is, therefore, more specific. As a result, one dispenses with trying to define it by something else whereas the other Names are defined in relationship to the Name All�h. As the Qur'an says, "Do you know of any other that can be named with His Name?" (19:65)

Yusuf

Topic: Names of All�h (SWT) (3 of 10), Read 30 times
Date: Friday, July 09, 2004 10:57 AM

1. Al-Rahm�n: The Merciful

"In the Name of Allah, the Merciful (Al-Rahm�n), the Compassionate (Al-Rah�m)...." (1:1)

The Merciful and the Compassionate are qualities derived from raham� (mercy). The concept of mercy requires that there be an object of mercy, someone or something in need. The needs of the needy are satisfied through the Merciful without any intention, choosing, willing, or asking by the needy one. The mercy of the Merciful is perfect in the sense that Allah not only wills the satisfaction of the needs of the needy, which shows concern, but actually satisfies them. The Merciful is all-inclusive in that mercy is extended to the worthy and the unworthy alike and includes all their needs. There is a Hadith where the Messenger says, "Allah Most High has one hundred portions of mercy. He has given only one portion to the universe and that Allah has divided among all of creation." The feeling of mercy and compassion that Allah's creatures feel for each other is from this. The other ninety-nine portions are reserved for the Day of Judgment when Allah will bestow it upon the believers. The Qur'an says, "My mercy embraces everything" (7:156). A distinction should be made between the meanings of the two qualities of the Merciful and the Compassionate. The basic meaning to be understood from the Merciful is a kind of mercy which is beyond the reach of human potential and provides the needs for the nafs or soul for all creatures in this world regardless of their worthiness. The Compassionate, on the other hand, is the quality that Allah manifests to the believers, "He is compassionate to the believers" (33:43). Allah shows compassion towards those who use their free will to choose His way in order to be saved in the Hereafter. This is why it is said Allah is compassionate towards His believers.

Yusuf

Topic: Names of All�h (SWT) (4 of 10), Read 32 times
Date: Friday, July 09, 2004 11:20 AM

Es_Selam'un Aleykum ve Rahmetullahi ve Berakatuh;

Some times i am thinking that i became so far away from Allah while reading the islamic books;but when i see His(c.c)-pure names,no adding some words as in the books,i become closer to Him(c.c)...

Thank you very much for these quotes...

L�tfen Gitme s�z�n�ze istinaden geri d�ndum...Allah'a emanet!

The Faithmountain:"The Ancient Sycamore".Brother Suleyman/Summer 2003

Surah Ibrahim:
24. Seest thou not how Allah sets forth a parable? - A goodly Word like a goodly tree, whose root is firmly fixed, and its branches (reach) to the heavens,-

25. It brings forth its fruit at all times, by the leave of its Lord. So Allah sets forth parables for men, in order that they may receive admonition.

Topic: Names of All�h (SWT) (5 of 10), Read 30 times
Date: Friday, July 09, 2004 08:59 PM

Salam alaikum akhi,

Insha'Allah I will be posting many more.

Te�ekk�r ederim!

Yusuf

Topic: Names of All�h (SWT) (6 of 10), Read 51 times
Date: Saturday, July 10, 2004 12:00 AM

Assalamualaikum wa rahmatullah wa barkatuhu,

The following is taken from Qala'id al-Jawahir - a biography of the crown of the saints, Shaikh Abd al Qadir al Jilani (RAA), compiled by Shaikh Muhammad ibn Yahya at Tadifi.

Sayings of Shaikh Abdal Qadir concerning the Supreme Names (Al-Ism al-A'zam)

* The Supreme name of Allah is "Allah"

*You will only receive an answer [to your supplication] if you say "Allah", while your hear contains nothing apart from Him.

*When pronounced by those who really understand its inner meanings, "In the name of Allah" [Bismi'llah] is on a par with injunction "Be![Kun]" pronounced by allah [Exalted is He].

*This is a word that banishes anxiety and worry [hamm]. This is a word that clears away sorrow and grief[ghamm]. This is a word that neutralizes poison [samm]. This is a word the light of which is all pervading.

*Allah conquers every conquerer.

*Allah is the source of manisfestation of wonders.

*Allah's authority is lofty, and his dignity is unassailable

*Allah is ever cognizant [Muttali'] of His servants.

*Allah is ever watchful [Raqib] over the heart and the inner core.

*Allah is Victorious over the tyrants [Qahil al-Jababira].

*Allah is the Vanquisher of the Ceasars [Qasim al-Akasira]

*Allah is Aware [Alim] of what is done in secret and what is done in public. Nothing can be concealed from Allah.

*When someone exists for the sake of Allah, he is always in the safekeeping of Allah (Exalted is He).

*When someone loves Allah (Exalted is He), he pays no attention to anything other than Allah (Exalted is He).

If someone follows the path of Allah, he will attain to Allah(Exalted is He), and if someone attains to Allah (Exalted is He), he will live in the protection of Allah(Exalted is He).
*If someone ardently yearns for Allah (Exalted is He), he will enjoy intimate friendship with Allah (Exalted is He).

*If someone forsakes all others, he will spend all his time in the company of Allah(Exalted is He).

*You must knock at the door of Allah (Exalted is He).

*You must take refuge with Allah (Exalted is He).

*You must place your trust in Allah (Exalted is He).

*O retrograde! You must return to Allah (Exalted is He).

*[Allah says]: "This is the way my name is heard in the realm of transitory existence [dar al-fana] so how must it be in the Realm of Perpetuity[Dar al-Baqa]?

*"This is how it is in the realm of trial [minha], so how must it be in the Realm of Grace [ni'ma]?

*"This is the sound of My Name when u are at the door, so how will it be when the barrier is removed?

*"This is how it is when I am invoked, so how must it be when I Reveal Myself?"

*The people will be in the state of direct witnessing, while the oceans of union flood over them.

*The lover[muhibb] is like those birds that never sleep, pearched up high in the trees. He serenades his beloved in the hours before the break of day.

*The fragrant breez of nearness wafts upon their hearts, so they yearn for the Lord.

*[Allah says]:

"Remember me with submission and resignation,
And I will remember you with worthiest of preference."

Such is the obvious meanings of His words (Exalted is He):

And whosoever puts all his trust in Allah,
He will suffice him (65:3)

"Remember me with ardent yearning and loving affection,
and I will remember you with contact and nearness.

"Remember me with praise and adoration,
and I will remember you with favors and rewards.

"Remember me with repentance,
and I will remember you with forgiveness of sin.

"Remember me with supplication,
and I will remember you with giving.

"Remember me with asking,
and I will remember you with granting.

"Remember me without neglect,
and I will remember you without delay.

"Remember me with remorse,
and I will remember you with honor.

"Remember me with apology,
and I will remember you with forgiveness.

"Remember me with intention,
and I will remember you with implementation.

"Remember me renunciation,
and I will remember you with gracious favor.

"Remember me with sincere devotion,
and I will remember you with salvation.

"Remember me with your hearts,
and I will remember you with relief from cares.

"Remember me with the tongue,
and I will remember you with security.

"Remember me with poverty,
and I will remember you with ability.

"Remember me with the plea for pardon and forgiveness,
and I will remember you with mercy and indulgence.

"Remember me with faith,
and I will remember you with the Gardens of Paradise.

"Remember me with surrender,
and I will remember you with honor.

"Remember me with the heart,
and I will remember you with the lifting of the veil.

"Remember me with a fleeting ,
and I will remember you with a permanent remembrance.

"Remember me with humble entreaty,
and I will remember you with connection.

"Remember me with self-abasement,
and I will remember you with the pardoning of errors.

"Remember me with virtue,
and I will remember you with the obliteration of guilt.

"Remember me with the purity of innermost being,
and I will remember you with the deliverance of piety.

"Remember me with truthfulness,
and I will remember you with sustenance.

"Remember me with clarity,
and I will remember you with pardon.

"Remember me with glorification,
and I will remember you with reverential treatment.

"Remember me with increasing frequency,
and I will remember you with deliverance and dignity.

"Remember me with abstinence and crudity,
and I will remember you with the assurance of fulfillment.

"Remember me with abstinence from error,
and I will remember you with all kinds of giving.

"Remember me with praise in service,
and I will remember you with the perfection of benefit.

"Remember me with from where you are,
and I will remember you from where I am."

Allah (Exalted is He) has told us [in the Quran]:

The remembrance of Allah is greater;
And Allah knows the things you do (29:45)

Be not heedless of thy Lord
for even the blink of an eye,
Lest He directs His attention towards you,
and finds you unawares.

Topic: Names of All�h (SWT) (7 of 10), Read 36 times
Date: Saturday, July 10, 2004 01:54 AM

Es_Selam'un Aleykum.

Topic: Names of All�h (SWT) (8 of 10), Read 38 times
Date: Saturday, July 10, 2004 08:06 AM

"*You will only receive an answer [to your supplication] if you say "Allah", while your hear contains nothing apart from Him."

What is the evidence from Quran and sunnah of such a statement?

"*When pronounced by those who really understand its inner meanings, "In the name of Allah" [Bismi'llah] is on a par with injunction "Be![Kun]" pronounced by allah [Exalted is He]."

One holding this belief needs to renew their declaration of faith! Where is the evidence for such an outrageous statement?

"*[Allah says]:" "This is the way my name is heard in the realm of transitory existence [dar al-fana] so how must it be in the Realm of Perpetuity[Dar al-Baqa]?"

Kindly direct us if you are able, to where "Allah says" the above statement.

Topic: Names of All�h (SWT) (9 of 10), Read 34 times
Date: Saturday, July 10, 2004 01:43 PM

On 7/10/2004 8:06:00 AM, Anonymous wrote:
>"*You will only receive an
>answer [to your supplication]
>if you say "Allah", while your
>hear contains nothing apart
>from Him."
>
>What is the evidence from
>Quran and sunnah of such a
>statement?
>
>"*When pronounced by those who
>really understand its inner
>meanings, "In the name of
>Allah" [Bismi'llah] is on a
>par with injunction "Be![Kun]"
>pronounced by allah [Exalted
>is He]."
>
>One holding this belief needs
>to renew their declaration of
>faith! Where is the evidence
>for such an outrageous
>statement?
>
>"*[Allah says]:" "This is the
>way my name is heard in the
>realm of transitory existence
>[dar al-fana] so how must it
>be in the Realm of
>Perpetuity[Dar al-Baqa]?"
>
>
>Kindly direct us if you are
>able, to where "Allah says"
>the above statement.

Is these questions for me?

Surah Ibrahim:
24. Seest thou not how Allah sets forth a parable? - A goodly Word like a goodly tree, whose root is firmly fixed, and its branches (reach) to the heavens,-

25. It brings forth its fruit at all times, by the leave of its Lord. So Allah sets forth parables for men, in order that they may receive admonition.

Jacques Yve's Cousteau&Calypso

Topic: Names of All�h (SWT) (10 of 10), Read 36 times
Date: Saturday, July 10, 2004 02:24 PM

Es_Selam'un Aleykum...

Thank you very much for your kind questions;but as from my school days, i don't like the oral exams,this is not my style,i like interactive dialogues opened with the consents of the persons,i apologize from you for not coming to your invitation...i know that you know the answers of these questions...if you'll conduct for the wonderers,they will be appreciated...

Surah Ibrahim:

Jacques Yve's Cousteau&Calypso

Edited by administrator
Back to Top Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Points: 4251 Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2005 at 8:00pm
Topic: Names of Allah (SWT) II (1 of 13), Read 39 times
Date: Saturday, July 10, 2004 10:04 AM

2. Al-Rah�m: The Compassionate

"In the Name of Allah, the Merciful (Al-Rahm�n), the Compassionate (Al-Rah�m)...." (1:1)

The Merciful and the Compassionate are qualities derived from raham� (mercy). The concept of mercy requires that there be an object of mercy, someone or something in need. The needs of the needy are satisfied through the Merciful without any intention, choosing, willing, or asking by the needy one. The mercy of the Merciful is perfect in the sense that Allah not only wills the satisfaction of the needs of the needy, which shows concern, but actually satisfies them. The Merciful is all-inclusive in that mercy is extended to the worthy and the unworthy alike and includes all their needs. There is a Hadith where the Messenger says, "Allah Most High has one hundred portions of mercy. He has given only one portion to the universe and that Allah has divided among all of creation." The feeling of mercy and compassion that Allah's creatures feel for each other is from this. The other ninety-nine portions are reserved for the Day of Judgment when Allah will bestow it upon the believers. The Qur'an says, "My mercy embraces everything" (7:156). A distinction should be made between the meanings of the two qualities of the Merciful and the Compassionate. The basic meaning to be understood from the Merciful is a kind of mercy which is beyond the reach of human potential and provides the needs for the nafs or soul for all creatures in this world regardless of their worthiness. The Compassionate, on the other hand, is the quality that Allah manifests to the believers, "He is compassionate to the believers" (33:43). Allah shows compassion towards those who use their free will to choose His way in order to be saved in the Hereafter. This is why it is said Allah is compassionate towards His believers.

Yusuf

Topic: Names of Allah (SWT) II (2 of 13), Read 29 times
Date: Sunday, July 11, 2004 09:50 AM

3. Al-Malik: The Sovereign

"So high exalted be Allah, the Sovereign (Al-Malik)..." (20:114).

The Sovereign is the quality of being independent of all existing things while everything in existence is dependent upon it. Nothing can exist without Allah whether it be in respect of essence, qualities, existence, or continued being (baq�'). Each and every thing derives its being from Allah or from something which is derived from Allah. Everything other than Allah is subject to Allah in respect to both its qualities and essence. But Allah has no need for anything. Allah, indeed, is the Sovereign in the absolute sense. In the sense of incomparability, Allah is absolutely independent of us. As an active quality, everything else is dependent upon Allah. Allah's kingdom consists of all possible things, including human beings. "To Him belongs the kingdom of the heavens and the earth" (2:107). The Messenger said, "Allah is the Lord and Sovereign of everything."

Yusuf

Topic: Names of Allah (SWT) II (3 of 13), Read 31 times
Date: Sunday, July 11, 2004 11:42 AM

Thanks for this thread, Yusuf. It's a beautiful
meditation.

DavidC

War can't determine who is right.
It can only determine who is left.

Topic: Names of Allah (SWT) II (4 of 13), Read 28 times
Date: Monday, July 12, 2004 08:27 AM

On 7/11/2004 11:42:00 AM, DavidC wrote:
>Thanks for this thread, Yusuf.
>It's a beautiful
>meditation.
>
>DavidC

My pleasure.

Yusuf

Topic: Names of Allah (SWT) II (5 of 13), Read 26 times
Date: Monday, July 12, 2004 08:30 AM

4. Al-Qudd�s: The Holy

"All that is in the heavens and the earth magnifies Allah, the Sovereign, the Holy (Al-Qudd�s)" (62:1).

The Holy is Allah's quality of being above every description of which human perception can perceive. It is beyond what the imagination can grasp. Even the innermost consciousness cannot pervade and thereby have an understanding of the Holy, the noble character trait manifested by Prophet Jesus to raise the dead to life. It is a quality unique unto Allah alone for it is to be without blemish, shortcoming, or weakness.

Yusuf

Topic: Names of Allah (SWT) II (6 of 13), Read 23 times
Date: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 08:26 AM

5. Al-Sal�m: The Flawless

"...the Flawless (Al-Sal�m )..." (59:23)

The Flawless is Allah's quality of lacking all imperfection or any trace of deficiency. There is no perfect, unimpaired state of being in existence except that which is ascribed to and emanates from Allah. The actions of the Flawless are free from absolute negative or base actions. Absolute evil is evil desired for its own sake and not for a greater good resulting from it. There is no natural evil in existence which has this description. The Flawless persists unfaltering, uninterrupted until eternity. In terms of an active quality, Al-Sal�m is the giver of peace and salvation at the beginning of the creation and at the time of the resurrection. Pronouncing the blessing of peace, 'Al-Sal�m alaykum' upon His creatures is also a manifestation of Al-Sal�m.

Yusuf

Topic: Names of Allah (SWT) II (7 of 13), Read 20 times
Date: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 09:33 AM

6. Al-Mu'min: The Giver of Faith

"...the Giver of Faith (Al-Mu'min)..." (59:23).

The Giver of Faith is Allah's quality of giving safety and security. It blocks the avenues leading to fear of anything other than Allah. Only when there is fear of anything but Allah does the concept of safety become important. Otherwise, those who seek refuge in the Giver of Faith from fear of anything other than Allah are safe and secure. Safety and security in the absolute sense are inconceivable unless they be derived from Allah.

Yusuf

Topic: Names of Allah (SWT) II (8 of 13), Read 17 times
Date: Thursday, July 15, 2004 10:41 AM

7. Al-Muhaymin: The Guardian

"...the Guardian (al-Muhaymin)..." (59:23).

The meaning of the Guardian in respect of Allah is that Allah brings about the evolution and growth of Allah's creation. The Guardian brings these about through knowledge, control, and protection. No one combines these qualities in an absolute and perfect sense other than Allah.

Yusuf

Topic: Names of Allah (SWT) II (9 of 13), Read 13 times
Date: Friday, July 16, 2004 09:03 AM

8. Al-`Az�z: The Incomparable

"...the Incomparable (Al-`Az�z ).." (59:23).

Allah is the Incomparable in terms of importance, usefulness and inaccessibility. Whatever lacks any of these three qualities (importance, usefulness, and inaccessibility) cannot be described by the name of the incomparable (`Az�z). Being incomparable means being rare, very precious, and difficult to obtain. Allah is so rare that He is absolutely unique, so necessary that nothing would exist without Him, so inaccessible that Allah alone can know Himself. There are many things in the universe of which it can be said that their usefulness is limited. They cannot be cincomparable (`Az�z). There are many things which have great importance, abundant usefulness, and are incomparable in this world. If approaching it is not difficult, however, one still cannot call it incomparable. An example of this is the sun which has no equal. This is also true of the earth. The usefulness of and need for each of them is great, to say the least. Yet the fact remains that they cannot be characterized in terms of incomparability since it is easy to observe them. That is, they are not unapproachable. Therefore, it is necessary that these three characteristics be combined before one can refer to something as being incomparable. Our absolute need exists for Allah alone. No one really knows Allah except Allah.

Yusuf

Topic: Names of Allah (SWT) II (10 of 13), Read 15 times
Date: Saturday, July 17, 2004 09:11 AM

9. Al-Jabb�r: The Compeller

"...the Compeller (Al-Jabb�r )..." (59:23). The Compeller is Allah's quality of being effective in terms of will power over everyone and everything while no will power is effective over It. This force is the one from whose grasp no one is free. Allah's Will is absolute and this magnifies Allah over every other being. Through His Will, Allah compels His creatures to obey His counseling to the positive (amr bi'l ma`r�f) or commands and trying to prevent the development of the negative (nahy `An al-munkar) or prohibitions. These counsels are part of the instinctive nature within beings and things. They predispose creatures to follow Allah's Will, the highest stage of which is to become conscious of self through which the creature then bears witness to the Creator. Certainly Allah coerces everyone, but no one coerces Him.

Yusuf

Topic: Names of Allah (SWT) II (11 of 13), Read 17 times
Date: Sunday, July 18, 2004 09:23 AM

10. Al-Mutakabbir: The Proud

"...the Proud (Al-Mutakabbir )..." (59:23).

Allah's quality of being the Proud considers everything less in comparison to its own essence. Majesty and glory belong to Allah alone. From this quality comes the command to magnify Allah by saying the takb�r, All�hu akbar, Allah is Greatest. This is pride in the purest sense of the word. It is inconceivable of anyone except Allah in an absolute sense.

Yusuf

Topic: Names of Allah (SWT) II (12 of 13), Read 14 times
Date: Monday, July 19, 2004 09:34 AM

11. Al-Kh�liq (The Creator)

"Allah is the Creator (Al-Kh�liq), the Maker of Perfect Harmony (Al-B�r�'), the Shaper of Unique Beauty (Al-Musawwir)..." (59:24).

One may think that the qualities manifest in the Creator, the Maker of Perfect Harmony, and the Shaper of Unique Beauty are synonymous and that each one is derived from the act of creating and bringing into being. But this is not so. The fact of the matter is that everything which emerges from non-existence into existence, first of all, requires a planning stage (the Creator), then the actual bringing into being in a harmonious order according to the plan (the Maker of Perfect Harmony), and, thirdly, the shaper of the plan through a unique beauty (the Shaper of Unique Beauty). Allah manifests the quality of the Creator in as much as He is the One who plans and determines--from nothing--without any model. He establishes and defines the states of things before they come into existence. This includes the conditions and sustenance for all that He creates establishing the how, when, and where creation is to take place. Everything is given goodness and wisdom from the beginning and follows an order or plan. There are no accidents. Allah neither needs the creation nor does Allah benefit from it. The reason for creation is perhaps to bear witness to Allah's eternal Will of greatness and power and to see the reflection of Allah's beauty and perfection.

12. Al-B�r�' (The Maker of Perfect Harmony)

Allah manifests the quality of the Maker of Perfect Harmony by bringing into being in perfect harmony not only each thing within itself but with each and every other creature in relation to each other, as well. Everything is interconnected. When one part of the cycle is effected, all parts are effected because the function of one thing depends on the function of the others.

13. Al-Musawwir (The Shaper of Unique Beauty)

Allah manifests the quality of the Shaper of Unique Beauty in view of the fact that the originations are shaped in forms of unique beauty. Without model, this quality of Allah shapes everything perfectly at the same time that no two things are exactly alike in every way. Each and every creation is a choice creation reflecting Allah's infinite mercy and wisdom.

Yusuf

Topic: Names of Allah (SWT) II (13 of 13), Read 19 times
Date: Sunday, July 11, 2004 11:23 PM

The needs of the needy are satisfied through the Merciful without any intention, choosing, willing, or asking by the needy one

This is something I have always felt...but at the same time I think some Muslims feel that their prayers are not answered because they are not "religious enough" or because they are not regular enough in their salat and other religious obligations. This I think is a misconception. I think Allah answers our prayers regardless of how sinful we are.

And ALLAH knows best.

Edited by administrator
Back to Top Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Points: 4251 Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2005 at 8:14pm

Topic: Names of Allah (SWT) III (1 of 24), Read 65 times
Date: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 09:24 AM

14. Al-Ghaff�r: The Forgiver

"...And I call you to the Incomparable, the Forgiver (Al-Ghaff�r )" (40:42).

The Forgiver is Allah's quality that makes manifest what is noble and hides what is disgraceful. The sins of human beings are among the disgraceful things which the Forgiver hides by covering over them in this world and disregarding their punishment in the hereafter.

Yusuf

Topic: Names of Allah (SWT) III (2 of 24), Read 25 times
Date: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 09:05 AM

15. Al-Qahh�r: The Subduer

"The day they come forth and naught of theirs is hidden from Allah. 'Whose is the kingdom today?' `'llah, the Unique, the Subduer' (Al-Qahhar)" (40:16).

The Subduer is the quality of Allah that breaks the backs of Allah's enemies. The Subduer dominates over them by killing and humiliating them. Everything in existence is subjected to the Subduer's dominance and power. The strength and power of the Subduer is counterbalanced by the quality of the Subtle (Al-Lat�f) for they are contained one within the other.

Yusuf

Topic: Names of Allah (SWT) III (3 of 24), Read 24 times
Date: Thursday, July 22, 2004 01:44 AM

15. Al-Qahh�r: The Subduer

"The day they come forth and naught of theirs is hidden from Allah. 'Whose is the kingdom today?' `'llah, the Unique, the Subduer' (Al-Qahhar)" (40:16).

The Subduer is the quality of Allah that breaks the backs of Allah's enemies. The Subduer dominates over them by killing and humiliating them. Everything in existence is subjected to the Subduer's dominance and power. The strength and power of the Subduer is counterbalanced by the quality of the Subtle (Al-Lat�f) for they are contained one within the other.

Please note that Al-Qahhar doesn't only mean 'the subduer'. It actually means 'the One who has total power and authority over the creatures'. In other words, Allah doesn't have to destroy or inflict torment on His creatures to show His Qahhar-ness.

Limiting its meaning by neglecting to mention this primary meaning is misleading and faulty. But thank you brother Yusuf for your 'Names of Allah' series. This criticism isn't aimed at discouraging you or downplaying the value of your effort.

With kind regards,
Ibn Salim

For me, I have set my face, firmly and truly, towards Him Who created the heavens and the earth, and never shall I give partners to Allah.
(Quran, 6, 79)

Topic: Names of Allah (SWT) III (4 of 24), Read 25 times
Date: Thursday, July 22, 2004 01:50 AM

Having re-read it, I now understand that the explanation of the meaning of al-Qahhar already includes the meaning that I've mentioned. Still, I don't think it's clear enough.

With kind regards,
Ibn Salim

For me, I have set my face, firmly and truly, towards Him Who created the heavens and the earth, and never shall I give partners to Allah.
(Quran, 6, 79)

Topic: Names of Allah (SWT) III (5 of 24), Read 31 times
Date: Thursday, July 22, 2004 08:49 AM

16. Al-Wahh�b: The Bestower

"...`Our Lord! Let our hearts not deviate now that You have guided us but grant us mercy from Your own presence for You are the Bestower' ( Al-Wahh�b)" (3:8).

A gift is a present that is given free of thought of compensation or any other selfish interests. The Bestower is the quality of Allah that gives many gifts of this nature. Generosity, gifts, and presents of this kind are truly inconceivable other than from Allah the Bestower which gives every needy person that which is needed and does this without regard to compensation or other selfish interests either now or later.

Yusuf

Topic: Names of Allah (SWT) III (6 of 24), Read 34 times
Date: Friday, July 23, 2004 09:41 AM

walaikum assalam,

some of the explanations seem unusual to me too. but Insha'Allah they'll make people think, and study more on their own!

Salam dear brother,

Yusuf

Topic: Names of Allah (SWT) III (7 of 24), Read 39 times
Date: Friday, July 23, 2004 09:41 AM

17. Al-Razz�q: The Provider

"...And He is the Provider (Al-Razz�q)..." (51:58).

The Provider is that quality of Allah which creates the means of sustenance as well as the need for it and enjoyment of it. This includes the ability to gain nourishment from food or knowledge for there are two kinds of sustenance: the first is evident like food and the need for it is caused to exist in physical bodies to which it provides strength for the human body for a limited period of time. The other is hidden and consists of knowledge. The need for this is caused to exist in the human heart and inner self. It is the more noble of the two kinds of sustenance. It is a fruit which, once eaten, can bring eternal life. The Provider is the quality which assumes responsibility for the creation of both types of sustenance, graciously making them available to both bodies and the human heart. "Our Lord, You have not created this universe in vain" (3:191). The Provider grants ample sustenance to some and a measured amount to others.

Yusuf

Topic: Names of Allah (SWT) III (8 of 24), Read 31 times
Date: Saturday, July 24, 2004 07:58 AM

18. Al-Fatt�h: The Opener

"...Our Lord will gather us together and will in the end decide" (34:26).

The Opener is the quality of Allah by which means everything that is closed is opened and through the guidance of which everything that is unclear is made clear. The quality connotes three meanings: first, the victorious who vanquishes difficulties and brings about victory; second, the one who makes decisions known; and third, the revealer who discloses that which had been concealed. At times the Opener causes kingdoms to be conquered for Allah's Prophets. It takes them out of the hands of Allah's enemies and says, "Lo! We have given you (oh Muhammad) a clear victory (literally, opening) that Allah may forgive you" (48:1).

Yusuf

Topic: Names of Allah (SWT) III (9 of 24), Read 33 times
Date: Sunday, July 25, 2004 08:24 AM

19. Al-`Al�m: The Knower

"...and of all things He is the Knower (Al-`Al�m)" (2:29).

The meaning of the Knower is obvious. It is Allah who knows: the hidden and the manifest, the small and the great, first and last, inception and outcome, in the most complete manner possible. The perfection of this quality is to fully comprehend the knowledge of everything, including both the manifest and the hidden, that of little and that of great importance, the first and the last, the end and the beginning. All being is present at all times in the knowledge of the Knower. The comprehensive knowledge in terms of clarity and disclosure is the most perfect knowledge. It is possible in view of the fact that it is inconceivable to find one more observing and disclosing than the Knower. Furthermore, the Knower's knowledge, which is to know everything that is knowable in a perfect manner, cannot be derived from objects of knowledge. Rather, objects of knowledge are derived from it. A common Arabic expression is All�h Al-`Al�m, 'Allah knows best'.

Yusuf

Topic: Names of Allah (SWT) III (10 of 24), Read 29 times
Date: Thursday, July 29, 2004 11:51 AM

20. Al-Q�bid: The Constrictor

"...Allah constricts and expands..." (2:245).

The Constrictor-Expander are qualities of Allah that takes the souls of people at the time of death and places souls in human bodies at the time of the inception of life. The Constrictor withholds the means of subsistence and of other things from his servants by His graciousness and wisdom. It takes the souls at the time of death. The Expander, on the other hand, is that quality which amplifies or makes plentiful the means of subsistence to whomsoever Allah wills through Allah's liberality and mercy and who breathes the souls in the bodies at the time of their being given life. The Constrictor-Expander takes alms from the rich and gives sustenance to those without resources. The Constrictor oppresses human hearts and makes them heavy by revealing to them how unconcerned, exalted and majestic Allah is. The Expander then delights them with charitable gifts, kindness, and beauty.

Yusuf

Topic: Names of Allah (SWT) III (11 of 24), Read 29 times
Date: Saturday, July 31, 2004 09:59 AM

21. Al-B�sit: The Expander

"...Allah constricts and expands..." (2:245).

The Constrictor-Expander are qualities of Allah that takes the souls of people at the time of death and places souls in human bodies at the time of the inception of life. The Constrictor withholds the means of subsistence and of other things from his servants by His graciousness and wisdom. It takes the souls at the time of death. The Expander, on the other hand, is that quality which amplifies or makes plentiful the means of subsistence to whomsoever Allah wills through Allah's liberality and mercy and who breathes the souls in the bodies at the time of their being given life. The Constrictor-Expander takes alms from the rich and gives sustenance to those without resources. The Constrictor oppresses human hearts and makes them heavy by revealing to them how unconcerned, exalted and majestic Allah is. The Expander then delights them with charitable gifts, kindness, and beauty.

Yusuf

Topic: Names of Allah (SWT) III (12 of 24), Read 28 times
Date: Monday, August 02, 2004 09:18 AM

22. Al-Kh�fid: The Abaser

"When the Event Inevitable comes to pass then will no soul entertain falsehood concerning its coming. Many will it abase and many will it exalt" (56:1-3).

The Abaser abases the unbelievers by means of misfortune. The Exalter exalts the believers by means of good fortune. Allah exalts believers by drawing them near to Him. Allah abases His enemies by isolating them from Himself.

Yusuf

Edited by administrator
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic