IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Qibla  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Qibla

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2014 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

Originally posted by islamispeace islamispeace wrote:

As I already, your the one who is confused.  The Quran is actually very clear in differentiating between Jerusalem and Mecca.  When referring to the Isra of the Prophet from Mecca to Jerusalem, the Quran stated:

"Glory to (Allah) Who did take His servant for a Journey by night from the Sacred Mosque to the farthest Mosque, whose precincts We did bless,- in order that We might show him some of Our Signs: for He is the One Who heareth and seeth (all things)."

The "Sacred Mosque" (Al-Masjid Al-Haram) is in Mecca, while the "farthest Mosque" (Al-Masjid Al-Aqsa) is in Jerusalem.  Whenever the "Sacred Mosque" is mentioned, the context always shows that it is referring to the Kaaba in Mecca.  For example, in reference to a peace treaty the Muslims had made with the pagans of Arabia, the Quran states:

"How can there be a league, before Allah and His Messenger, with the Pagans, except those with whom ye made a treaty near the sacred Mosque? As long as these stand true to you, stand ye true to them: for Allah doth love the righteous."

How much more clearer can it be?  What sane person would claim that the Quran was referring to Jerusalem in this case, especially since the Muslims had not yet been in Jerusalem yet and would not be until the reign of Umar Ibn Al-Khattab when he captured the city from the Byzantines?

Greetings islamispeace,

So, your statements were curious to me for several reasons, so I wanted to look up the surah's you quoted to see what time period they came from, and I found this very interesting article.

As I stated, I only originally found it quite odd that the qur'an never says Mecca but referred to a place called Becca.
This article I found explains a lot in that regard, but that is not how I found it.
I was looking for 'qur'an pre-Meccan' when I found the article.

What I found curious about the reply I have quoted above is the reference, purportedly by the qur'an, to a 'sacred mosque' and a 'farthest mosque', and I couldn't help thinking,
How can the qur'an be referring to mosques when no mosques were even built before Muhammad introduced his religion?
so I wanted to know what time period the surah's were revealed, and they were all (17:1, 9:7, 48:24) prior to the year 620 a.d. of Yshwe.  Two of them as early as Medina.

So here is some of what I found in the article:  http://www.academia.edu/1776803/The_Mecca_Question

The reference in the qur'an is to a 'valley of bekkah' meaning 'valley of the one who weeps much'... or as I tend to think of it, because I think I have heard it from muslims before... the valley of weeping, or tears.

Mecca is only mentioned in surah 48... and the fact that it is mentioned as Mecca, not becca, I think would distinguish the fact that it is referring to a separate place... or a change has been made.

Also, apparently Muhammad first had his followers praying in the direction of Syria, and all the evidence supports the first holy place for muslims as Petra.

from the article:
"Surprising as it may seem, not one map before 900 AD even mentions Mecca.
It is also commonly accepted that Mecca was not just a major city, but it was the focus of pilgrimages in Arabia long before the rise of Islam. While there is little evidence of an early shrine at Mecca, Gibson points out that every historian of Arabia knows that pilgrimages were always made to the Nabataean city of Petra, which was known as the original haram or forbidden area of Ara-bia where killing was not allowed."

I quoted this last part because it supports a thing you have told to me...
the place where killing is not allowed.

9:7  "How can there be a league, before Allah and His Messenger, with the Pagans, except those with whom ye made a treaty near the sacred Mosque? As long as these stand true to you, stand ye true to them: for Allah doth love the righteous."

asalaam,
CH

It should also be pointed out that the article you quoted makes the following claim but does not elaborate further:

"Gibson points out that every historian of Arabia knows that pilgrimages were always made to the Nabataean city of Petra, which was known as the original haram or forbidden area of Ara-bia where killing was not allowed."

Which historians state this?  The article does not specify.  Hmmm....

Greetings islamispeace,

Did you take the time to read at the address which I provided?

asalaam,
CH

The article does not specify which historians say this.  It just summarizes Gibson's claims. 
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2014 at 1:39pm

Greetings islamispeace,

The explanations, at the links you provide, are really reaching if you ask me.
The qur'an would have stated 'to the Holy place Jerusalem' if that was what was meant, but it says 'farthest mosque'.  I believe a more likely explanation is that the word mosque(perhaps even the whole thing) is an addition of man when the qur'an was being compiled.
Why not just use the word masjid(place of prostration) if that was what allah meant?  Isn't that what allah would have said?

The best evidence to me is this;

"On the famous place where once stood the temple, the Saracens worship at a square house of prayer, which they have built with little art, of boards and large beams on the remains of some ruins..."

but this was noticed, or observed to exist, some 40 years after the death of Muhammad.  We do not know of how many years it had been in existence prior.

Creswell states:
    ... their [i.e., Muslims'] architectural resources, before they started in their career of conquest, were barely enough to give expression to their needs. In other words Arabia constituted an almost perfect architectural vacuum... The first mosques in the great hiras, or half nomadic encampments of the conquest, such as Basra, Kufa and Fustat, were primitive in the extreme, and in Syria the first mosques were churches that had been converted or merely divided: In fact there is no reason for believing that any mosque was built as such in Syria until the time of al-Walid (705-15) or possibly `Abd al-Malik (685-705), for over a generation the Arabs remained quite untouched by any architectural ambitions...

It is worth noting that the Prophet disliked extravagance and impressive architecture in buildings, especially mosques. The relative simplicity of early mosques is in fact a historical example of how the Prophet's Companions diligently followed his wishes. This is true to a greater extent even today.
----------------

and Ah yes, Psalm 84, the valley of Baca, the valley of weeping, or tears...
that is where I had heard of that.  (and it would seem to me also where Muhammad had heard of it)
The valley of Baca, or valley of weeping is a metaphorical reference to the suffering of this world... it is about the safety of seeking the Lord and dwelling with Him as your strength and guide to get us through the sorrows.  The Psalms are poetry... poetic.
The 'valley of Baca' is not about an actual geographic place (though Muhammad may have thought it was)
'How amiable are thy tabernacles, and safe is the place of dwelling with You'

Psalm 84
How amiable are thy tabernacles, O Lord of hosts!

My soul longeth, yea, even fainteth for the courts of the Lord: my heart and my flesh crieth out for the living God.

Yea, the sparrow hath found an house, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may lay her young, even thine altars, O Lord of hosts, my King, and my God.

Blessed are they that dwell in thy house: they will be still praising thee. Selah.

Blessed is the man whose strength is in thee; in whose heart are the ways of them.

Who passing through the valley of Baca make it a well; the rain also filleth the pools.

They go from strength to strength, every one of them in Zion appeareth before God.

O Lord God of hosts, hear my prayer: give ear, O God of Jacob. Selah.

Behold, O God our shield, and look upon the face of thine anointed.

10 For a day in thy courts is better than a thousand. I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God, than to dwell in the tents of wickedness.

11 For the Lord God is a sun and shield: the Lord will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.

12 O Lord of hosts, blessed is the man that trusteth in thee.

asalaam,
CH

for further clarity:

Who passing through the valley of Baca make it a well; the rain also filleth the pools.

who passing through the valley of sorrows(of this life) fill it with their tears...

LOL Talk about "reaching"...  That's all you are doing.  No evidence, just assumptions. 

As the Islamic-Awareness article shows, the Kaaba was known hundreds of years before the advent of Islam as a place of worship and pilgrimage.
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2014 at 10:42pm
"Over the years Gibson has gathered copies of many ancient maps of Arabia and has diligently translated and transcribed them, but never once is Mecca mentioned.

Added to this the Qur'an and the hadiths clearly speak of Mecca being in a valley, and as having another smaller valley or stream next to the Ka�ba. This is quite different from modern day Mecca which has been occasionally flooded with spring runoff but contains no stream.
Over the years Gibson has spoken to pilgrims coming from Mecca. Some of them have been vaguely dissatisfied with the geography around Mecca."

"The Islamic historian Al-Tabari, writing in 900 AD
notes that during the days before Islam, there were two pilgrimages. The lesser was known as �umrah.
He notes that �Abd al-Muttalib (Muhammad�s grandfather) performed
�umrah on one occasion. This was at a time when the forbidden sanctuary in the Islamic Holy City held many pagan idols, among them Hubal and Isaf and Na�ilah. The Qur'an tells us that these pre-Islamic pagan pilgrimages were known respectively as hajj and �umrah, commonly called the greater and lesser pilgrimage. These names continued from pre-Islamic times into the Islamic era and are the terms used today for the two yearly Islamic pilgrimages.  Gibson, however, points out that from ancient time the Arabian pilgrimage was always to the religious center of Arabia, the forbidden sanctuary, the holy burial city of Petra. It was in this city that the Nabataean Arab dead were buried, and it was in this city that the living gathered to eat a ritual meal with their extended family in the presence of their long departed ancestors. This custom was part of the cultural and ethnic make-up of the Nabataeans, and was the glue that held them, a nomadic merchant people, together as a society.  In Petra today visitors can see the feasting halls that are attached to many of the tombs where family gatherings celebrated the living and the dead."

"Besides providing us with over a dozen literary proofs that point to Petra as being the Holy City of Mecca, Gibson also provides seventeen historical proofs."

I guess you would have to read the book.

Edited by Caringheart - 13 October 2014 at 11:01pm
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2014 at 6:33am

"Over the years Gibson has gathered copies of many ancient maps of Arabia and has diligently translated and transcribed them, but never once is Mecca mentioned.

Added to this the Qur'an and the hadiths clearly speak of Mecca being in a valley, and as having another smaller valley or stream next to the Ka�ba. This is quite different from modern day Mecca which has been occasionally flooded with spring runoff but contains no stream.
Over the years Gibson has spoken to pilgrims coming from Mecca. Some of them have been vaguely dissatisfied with the geography around Mecca."

notes that during the days before Islam, there were two pilgrimages. The lesser was known as �umrah.
�umrah on one occasion. This was at a time when the forbidden sanctuary in the Islamic Holy City held many pagan idols, among them Hubal and Isaf and Na�ilah. The Qur'an tells us that these pre-Islamic pagan pilgrimages were known respectively as hajj and �umrah, commonly called the greater and lesser pilgrimage. These names continued from pre-Islamic times into the Islamic era and are the terms used today for the two yearly Islamic pilgrimages.  Gibson, however, points out that from ancient time the Arabian pilgrimage was always to the religious center of Arabia, the forbidden sanctuary, the holy burial city of Petra. It was in this city that the Nabataean Arab dead were buried, and it was in this city that the living gathered to eat a ritual meal with their extended family in the presence of their long departed ancestors. This custom was part of the cultural and ethnic make-up of the Nabataeans, and was the glue that held them, a nomadic merchant people, together as a society.  In Petra today visitors can see the feasting halls that are attached to many of the tombs where family gatherings celebrated the living and the dead."

"Besides providing us with over a dozen literary proofs that point to Petra as being the Holy City of Mecca, Gibson also provides seventeen historical proofs."

I repeat...which "historians" believe this?  And who is this "Dan Gibson" anyway?  The paper says he is a "Canadian historian". For that matter, who is "Jeremy Smyth"?

While there are many flaws in Gibson's theory, I think the most obvious one is that if Petra was the "original" holy city of Islam, then why don't we have any Islamic inscriptions and other archaeological artifacts in Petra?  Why, instead, do we have overwhelming archaeological evidence in Mecca? 

Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2014 at 11:05am

I repeat...which "historians" believe this?  And who is this "Dan Gibson" anyway?  The paper says he is a "Canadian historian". For that matter, who is "Jeremy Smyth"?

While there are many flaws in Gibson's theory, I think the most obvious one is that if Petra was the "original" holy city of Islam, then why don't we have any Islamic inscriptions and other archaeological artifacts in Petra?  Why, instead, do we have overwhelming archaeological evidence in Mecca? 

Greetings islamispeace,

Regarding your last question, that I boldened,
that is covered in the article as well... and in very thorough fashion I might add.

asalaam,
CH

Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2014 at 11:34am

Greetings islamispeace,

Regarding your last question, that I boldened,
that is covered in the article as well... and in very thorough fashion I might add.

asalaam,
CH

Um no, it doesn't.  It makes several claims but with very shaky evidence. 

If Petra was the "holy city" of Islam, there should be a large number of early Islamic inscriptions and artifacts, like we have in Mecca.  Instead, Petra has mostly Nabataean inscriptions.  Some later Islamic inscriptions have been found from the 2nd century AH.  In contrast, 1st century AH inscriptions of the Quran have been found in Mecca.  Why would this be so if Petra was the holy city of Islam and not Mecca?  Shouldn't the opposite be true?  Shouldn't we have earlier inscriptions in Petra and later ones in Mecca? 

Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2014 at 12:29pm
I found this just now:

http://www.academia.edu/1391820/Early_Islamic_Inscriptions_from_Danqur_al-Khaznah_at_Petra

"To conclude, judging from the clues attested in the historical chronicles as well as the nature andamount of archaeological remains in the area, it isevident that Islamic occupation at Petra was very limited and Petra throughout the Islamic periods��had long been what it is today; a field of ruinslargely buried beneath drifts of sand�� (Simms &Russell 1996: 27)."

Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2014 at 12:31pm

If Petra was the "holy city" of Islam, there should be a large number of early Islamic inscriptions and artifacts, like we have in Mecca.  Instead, Petra has mostly Nabataean inscriptions.  Some later Islamic inscriptions have been found from the 2nd century AH.  In contrast, 1st century AH inscriptions of the Quran have been found in Mecca.  Why would this be so if Petra was the holy city of Islam and not Mecca?  Shouldn't the opposite be true?  Shouldn't we have earlier inscriptions in Petra and later ones in Mecca? 

Greetings islamispeace,

Are you referring to books? writings?  because this was covered in detail,
summarized as follows:
One can only surmise that the city of Petra is today bereft of all inscriptions because of the actions of zealous Muslims during Yazid�s reign. 
In the end, the only book to survive in Arabia was the Glorious Qur'an.
Everywhere the muslims conquered, books, writings, were destroyed...
in Persia, Egypt, India...
the evidence is there that Petra was a holy place of worship, as I layed out in my previous reply to you.  The archaeological evidence is there.

Have you completely ignored the archaeological evidence?

asalaam,
CH

Note:  I'm curious, where do you come up with your evidence of artifacts in Mecca?

Edited by Caringheart - 14 October 2014 at 12:37pm
Blessed be God forever
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic