IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Basics of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Jahiliyyah (Ignorance)  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jahiliyyah (Ignorance)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rehmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jahiliyyah (Ignorance)
    Posted: 30 March 2005 at 7:43am

Sayyid Qutb (ra) was one of the most influential Muslim reformer, thinker and activist of the twentieth century, not only within the so-called Political Islam, which had its roots and genesis in the �Ikhwan al-Muslemoon (Muslim Brotherhood)� in Egypt but also abroad.

His writings and, in particular, his theory of jahiliyyahhave been taken by the Islamic revivalists and revolutionaries (Islamic Revolution in Iran, 1979) a basis for their division of the world into Islamic and jahili societies. Apart from a few studies briefly touching on the concept of jahiliyyah, no systematic in-depth study has so far been done on this important concept, which influenced all shades of Islamic thought in the second half of the twentieth century. The main objective of this study is to explore the concept for jahiliyyah as used by Sayyid Qutb as a basic principle to critically assess secular ideas in the political, economic, social, intellectual and moral spheres. It also seeks to investigate and analyze the influence of the concept of jahiliyyah on the Islamists in Egypt.

http://www.geocities.com/abyassin/Qutb1.html

http://eprints.unimelb.edu.au/archive/00000744/

Know your enemy!
No time to waste. Act now!
Tomorrow it will be too late
What You Don�t Know Can Kill You

Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2005 at 12:35pm

As Salamu Alaikum  

One of my favorite reformer, thinker, author although there are lots of people out there that criticize him and his works.

I found his book "The Milestone" very inspiring. No matter how advanced we are science and technology we are still Jahil (ignorant) because we have lost the true meaning of La ilaha illallah

�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
blond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2005 at 5:36am

I have read that Jahiliyyah was the state of the Arabs during the advent of Muhammad. They were mostly illiterate lovers of poetry, drunkards and killers of their female children. This sounds like the current state of blacks in America today. I see Rap music, nudity, drunkenness, drug addiction, illiteracy and abortion have reduced many in their communities to savagery.

It appears to me that the Sunnah was that Muhammad (pbuh) cleaned up and united a people in the state of Jahiliyyah and established Islam as the law of the land. Since Muhammad (pbuh) is no longer physically here, that job falls on those who profess to follow his example.

"5:67. O Messenger, deliver that which has been revealed to thee from thy Lord; and if thou do (it) not, thou hast not delivered His message. And Allah will protect thee from men. Surely Allah guides not the disbelieving people."

Rehmat View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rehmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2005 at 8:16pm

Originally posted by blond blond wrote:

I have read that Jahiliyyah was the state of the Arabs during the advent of Muhammad. They were mostly illiterate lovers of poetry, drunkards and killers of their female children......

Not entirely true. Arabs at the time of the birth of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) were very brave, independent-minded, poetry-lovers, men of their words, and seasoned to live very harsh life � That�s the reason Allah chose them out of the rest of the world. Yes some of them used to bury their female offspring � but that was not rare amongst the two so-called �civilized nations� of that period � Rome and Persia.

However, the miracle is what the same �illiterate people� achieved once they followed the message of Holy Qur�an and the leadership of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh). Let us listen to HRH, The Prince of Wales.

We have underestimated the importance of 800 years of Islamic society and culture in Spain between the 8th and 15th centuries. The contribution of Muslim Spain to the preservation of classical learning during the Dark Ages, and to the first flowering of the Renaissance, has long been recognized. But Islamic Spain was much more than a mere larder where Hellenistic knowledge was kept for later consumption by the emerging modern world. Not only did Muslim Spain gather and preserve the intellectual content of ancient Greek and Roman civilization, it also interpreted and expanded upon that civilization, and made a vital contribution of its own in so many fields of human endeavor -- in science, astronomy, mathematics, algebra (itself an Arabic word), law, history, medicine, pharmacology, optics, agriculture, architecture, theology, music. Averroes and Avenzoor, like their counterparts Avicenna and Rhazes in the East, contributed to the study and practice of medicine in ways from which Europe benefited for centuries afterwards.

Islam nurtured and preserved the quest for learning. In the words of (the Prophet's) tradition "the ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr." Cordoba in the 10th century was by far the most civilized city of Europe. We know of lending libraries in Spain at the time King Alfred was making terrible blunders with the culinary arts in this country. It is said that the 400,000 volumes of its ruler's library amounted to more books than all the of the rest of Europe put together. That was made possible because the Muslim world acquired from China the skill of making paper more than four hundred years before the rest of non-Muslim Europe. Many of the traits on which Europe prides itself came to it from Muslim Spain. Diplomacy, free trade, open borders, the techniques of academic research, of anthropology, etiquette, fashion, alternative medicine, hospitals, all came from this great city of cities. Mediaeval Islam was a religion of remarkable tolerance for its time, allowing Jews and Christians to practice their inherited beliefs, and setting an example, which was not, unfortunately, copied for many centuries in the West. The surprise, ladies and gentlemen, is the extent to which Islam has been a part of Europe for so long, first in Spain, then in the Balkans, and the extent to which it has contributed so much towards the civilization, which we all too often think of, wrongly, as entirely Western. Islam is part of our past and present, in all fields of human endeavor. It has helped to create modern Europe. It is part of our own inheritance, not a thing apart.

Know your enemy!

Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2005 at 5:26am

As Salamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu

After reading the Book "Milestones" by Sayyid Qutb, I found that there is a difference in the terms "Jahiliyyah" and "illiterate".

Insha Allah I will try to get hold of this book again and quote the difference.

�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
blond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2005 at 6:01am
Originally posted by Rehmat Rehmat wrote:

I have read that Jahiliyyah was the state of the Arabs during the advent of Muhammad. They were mostly illiterate lovers of poetry, drunkards and killers of their female children......

Not entirely true. Arabs at the time of the birth of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) were very brave, independent-minded, poetry-lovers, men of their words, and seasoned to live very harsh life � That�s the reason Allah chose them out of the rest of the world. Yes some of them used to bury their female offspring � but that was not rare amongst the two so-called �civilized nations� of that period � Rome and Persia.

However, the miracle is what the same �illiterate people� achieved once they followed the message of Holy Qur�an and the leadership of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh). Let us listen to HRH, The Prince of Wales.

We have underestimated the importance of 800 years of Islamic society and culture in Spain between the 8th and 15th centuries. The contribution of Muslim Spain to the preservation of classical learning during the Dark Ages, and to the first flowering of the Renaissance, has long been recognized. But Islamic Spain was much more than a mere larder where Hellenistic knowledge was kept for later consumption by the emerging modern world. Not only did Muslim Spain gather and preserve the intellectual content of ancient Greek and Roman civilization, it also interpreted and expanded upon that civilization, and made a vital contribution of its own in so many fields of human endeavor -- in science, astronomy, mathematics, algebra (itself an Arabic word), law, history, medicine, pharmacology, optics, agriculture, architecture, theology, music. Averroes and Avenzoor, like their counterparts Avicenna and Rhazes in the East, contributed to the study and practice of medicine in ways from which Europe benefited for centuries afterwards.

Islam nurtured and preserved the quest for learning. In the words of (the Prophet's) tradition "the ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr." Cordoba in the 10th century was by far the most civilized city of Europe. We know of lending libraries in Spain at the time King Alfred was making terrible blunders with the culinary arts in this country. It is said that the 400,000 volumes of its ruler's library amounted to more books than all the of the rest of Europe put together. That was made possible because the Muslim world acquired from China the skill of making paper more than four hundred years before the rest of non-Muslim Europe. Many of the traits on which Europe prides itself came to it from Muslim Spain. Diplomacy, free trade, open borders, the techniques of academic research, of anthropology, etiquette, fashion, alternative medicine, hospitals, all came from this great city of cities. Mediaeval Islam was a religion of remarkable tolerance for its time, allowing Jews and Christians to practice their inherited beliefs, and setting an example, which was not, unfortunately, copied for many centuries in the West. The surprise, ladies and gentlemen, is the extent to which Islam has been a part of Europe for so long, first in Spain, then in the Balkans, and the extent to which it has contributed so much towards the civilization, which we all too often think of, wrongly, as entirely Western. Islam is part of our past and present, in all fields of human endeavor. It has helped to create modern Europe. It is part of our own inheritance, not a thing apart.

Thank you.

I believe you completely missed the point of my post. It had nothing to do with Europe.

My point is that there are currently people living in the state of Jahilliya; and what is our duty to them? Is it to contemplate the vissisitudes of the history of Islam? Or is it to go and get them up out of that condition by any means necessary?

It appears to me that the true Sunnah is to bring people out of that condition where ever we find them and bring them to the Light of Islam.

Rehmat View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rehmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2005 at 12:07pm

....I believe you completely missed the point of my post. It had nothing to do with Europe.

My point is that there are currently people living in the state of Jahilliya; and what is our duty to them? Is it to contemplate the vissisitudes of the history of Islam? Or is it to go and get them up out of that condition by any means necessary?

It appears to me that the true Sunnah is to bring people out of that condition where ever we find them and bring them to the Light of Islam.

Did I?

I am affraid not. The lesson from the statement was that when the Believers follow the true message of Holy Qur'an, the Prophet's (pbuh) Sunnah and apply Islamic Shari'ah in their every day life - then they too can achieve that glory. prosperity and peace of mind.

Cheers!

Know your enemy!

blond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2005 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by Rehmat Rehmat wrote:

....I believe you completely missed the point of my post. It had nothing to do with Europe.

Did I?

I am affraid not. The lesson from the statement was that when the Believers follow the true message of Holy Qur'an, the Prophet's (pbuh) Sunnah and apply Islamic Shari'ah in their every day life - then they too can achieve that glory. prosperity and peace of mind.

Cheers!

Yes, I believe you did.

The Sunnah is not a set of rituals, the rituals develop the individual to accomplish the Sunnah. I believe Sunnah is to resurrect human life.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic