IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - More on Hijab (from old forum)  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

More on Hijab (from old forum)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2005 at 9:04pm

Topic: More on Hijab - trying to rescue the hijab topic:p (24 of 49), Read 213 times
Conf: References: Discussions Frequently Repeated
Date: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 02:35 AM

"Take away love and our earth is a tomb".

~Please dont frown! For you never know who may be falling in love with your smile!~
------------------------------------------------------------ -----------------------------

Sorry for taking so long, was working and researching :-)

MORE ON HIJAB � PART 2 ;-)

Since this is going to be a big post, nausheen I have put your postings in these brackets, doubled {}, ok? :-)
I have covered a fair bit and picked pieces out to discuss and hopefully it flows in somewhat ordered fashion.
I haven't covered a few verses that will take more time maybe at another time right now I don't feel like it, all this has taken a fair bit of time and I can't write quick, this bit took 2/3 days to write up :-)
let's begin :-)

{{Narrated Umm Salamah, Ummul Mu'minin: When the verse "That they should cast their outer garments over their persons" was revealed, the women of Ansar came out as if they had crows over their heads. Sunan Abu Dawud: Book 32, Number 4090.
and
Narrated Aisha, Ummul Mu'minin: Safiyyah, daughter of Shaybah, said that Aisha mentioned the women of Ansar, praised them and said good words about them. She then said: When Surat an-Nur came down, they took the curtains, tore them and made head covers (veils) of them. Sunan Abu Dawud: Book 32, Number 4089.}}

But this refers to the women of ansar, who are apparently women of Medina and not for ALL women otherwise it would / should be mention in another way.

{{and:
Narrated Anas ibn Malik: The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) brought Fatimah a slave which he donated to her. Fatimah wore a garment which, when she covered her head, did not reach her feet, and when she covered her feet by it, that garment did not reach her head. When the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) saw her struggle, he said: There is no harm to you: Here is only your father and slave. Sunan Abu Dawud: Book 32, Number 4094.}}

Is this below, not the full explanation of the above 3 parts?
And they are hadiths not commands from God.

"How praise-worthy are the women of Ansar that their modesty does not prevent them from attempts at learning and the acquisition of knowledge." Yet at another occasion, she said: " May Allah have mercy on the women of Ansar! When the Qur'anic verse relating to the wearing of jilbab (a long and loose gown which covers a woman's body from neck to feet) was revealed to the Prophet (saw), they tore off their big sheets of cloth and covered themselves with their torn parts and in this state offered their prayers behind the Prophet (saw) as silently as if crows were seated on their heads." http://members.aol.com/khananis/women.htm

�(Ayeshah praised the women of Ansar for their spirit of enquiry and learning, saying, 'How praiseworthy are the women of Ansar that their modesty does not prevent them from attempts at learning and the acquisition of knowledge.' (Sahih Muslim Kitab al Tahrat))� http://www.agnatemoslem.com/data/hadiths/had5/had50.html

It�s obviously the long gown which happen to cover the neck to the feet (no mention of headcovering) was the cloth (not curtain) that they tore up and covered their heads in, to pray in.

It seems that the modesty of the women of ansar was not a problem and could go about even learning for which they were praised for while in their own modesty and when the qur�an verse for jilbab, the long loose gown from neck to the feet was revealed later, then they took up the jilbab made from the torn sheets and here it gets a bit scratchy for me, if the jilbab is a gown from the neck to the feet, this doesn�t mean covering the head. So it doesn�t go with �as silently as if crows were seated on their heads� nor the way its also versed �came out as if they had crows over their heads� (whatever exactly that means :-|) and if they did have a head covering then it was for the state of prayer that is mentioned, it speaks of nothing else.

{{The following excerpt is taken from this article.

Allah the Exalted says in Surat an-Noor, ayah 31:
And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and guard their private parts and not show of their adornment except only that which is apparent, and draw their veils over their (necks and) bosoms and not reveal their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands' fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers, or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or their slaves, or male servants who lack vigor, or small children who have no knowledge of women's private parts. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And turn you all to Allah in repentance, O believers, that you may be successful.}}

It�s pointed out that words in brackets in any qur�an verses is an addition to the qur�an and if there should be any explanation, then as a footnote underneath it.

Here�s the other version I seem more in favour:

"And tell the believing women to subdue their eyes and maintain their chastity. They shall not reveal any parts of their bodies, except that which is necessary. They shall cover their chests, and shall not relax this dress in the presence of other than their husbands, their fathers, the fathers of their husbands, their sons the sons of their husbands, their brothers, the sons of their brothers, the sons of their sisters, the other women, the male servant or other employee whose sexual drive has been nullified or the children who have not reached puberty. They shall not strike their feet when they walk in order to shake or reveal certain details of their bodies. All of you shall repent to God, O you believers, that you may succeed" [24:31].

It seems that btw versions the words � chastity, modesty & private parts get put in place at the end of the first sentence. It�s confusing at times.
I�ve come to learn that private parts in Arabic is awaat which is the word used in the qur�an and in the verse 24:31 it means puberty to which one becomes aware sexually physically of the opposite gender and of oneself.
As for chastity that for me, would be guarding ones body from sex before marriage (if that is what you believe in).
And for modesty, well modesty means differently to different people about how one dress�s and then again here for me its also for how one conducts their affairs whatever they maybe.

To me if you going to have an English translation, then its got to be one or the other of the three, not all since they have different meanings.

The second sentence of the verse 24:31 �they shall not reveal any parts of their bodies, except that which is necessary�. What is necessary?
Depending on the (women�s) situation and through choice figuring out what is necessary or apparent for them is their choice really. In modesty, modesty means differently in different regions, for surely God knew this ? and left it up to each woman to decide for herself upon her situation & community she lives in.
�Modesty for a woman who lives in New York may not be accepted by a woman who lives in Cairo Egypt. Modesty of a woman who lives in Cairo, Egypt may not be accepted by a woman who lives in Saudi Arabia. Modesty of a woman who lives in Jidda in Saudi Arabia may not be accepted by a woman who lives in a desert oasis in the same country�. http://www.submission.org/dress.html (extensive description on dress)

And as long as they follow being righteous in religion for it�s the first and foremost command in Islam, while wearing what is acceptable, then a woman will choose accordingly in how she presents herself dress wise because one who covers, uses hijab, may not be (or are not) righteous and still be seductive towards the opposite gender.
The best garment is the garment of righteousness, is not ?
And also what is in your heart and your intentions most of all counts ?
Just because one is covered up and its been mentioned before doesn�t denote being good nor protects you from harm.
I�m sure God would have known this.

Where in the verse it says head covering?
For the section they shall cover their bosoms �juyoob� (or chest �gayb� in some versions), while looking at the Arabic translation there seems to be no word for head �raas� or for hair �shaar� in the verse and if the juyoob also refers to the neck, still were does the head / hair come into it?
In this link, it further explains:� In 24:31 God is asking the women to use their cover (khimar)( being a dress, a coat, a shawl, a shirt, a blouse, a tie, a scarf . . . etc.) to cover their bosoms, not their heads or their hairs. If God so willed to order the women to cover their heads or their hair, nothing would have prevented Him from doing so. GOD does not run out of words. GOD does not forget. God did not order the women to cover their heads or their hair�. http://www.muslimtents.com/aminahsworld/Dresscode.html

To me it seems as that many wore head covering �hijab� and or face veil �niqab� or burka depending on their situation and where they lived and having a choice to wear / donne these clothing items not through order / command But local customs.

Islamic history shows that not ALL women covered, wore head coverings, only certain groups did and that in the late Safavid dynasty changes to customs were made but not in the beginning nor from the Prophet. Some women today want to go back to what was original practiced and I mentioned this in my original post.
So why do some women cry out who feel and know they are oppressed, wanting to remove the hijab? If its ordered in the qur�an then they should be happy to wear but they are not.
It wouldn�t be because not all women wore the head covering in islam especially considering the two description I provided in my original post:
##That only the wives of the Prophet covered their faces for other men not to see them in sexual terms but not extended to other women, since the wives were married to the Prophet.
From this I can see where covering would come from especially when followers follow the way and illuminate them but not as duty or order.
For the Prophets wives only to veil goes in accordance with a point in Karen Armstrong�s book � A history of God which states that:
�the religion was later hijacked by the men, who interpreted texts in a way that was negative for Muslim women. The Koran does not prescribe the veil for all women but only for Muhammad�s wives, as a mark of their status. Once Islam had taken its place in the civilized world, however, muslims adopted those customs of the Oikumene which relegated women to second class status. They adopted the customs of veiling women and secluding them in harems from Persia and Christian Byzantium, where women had long been marginalized in this way. By the time of the Abbasid caliphate (750 � 1258), the position of Muslim women was as bad as that of their sisters in Jewish and Christian society. Today Muslim feminists urge their menfolk to return to the original spirit of the Koran� ##

And some more points in not covering:

Sahih Bukhari Volume 7, Book 62, Number 22 Narrated Anas: The Prophet stayed for three days between Khaibar and Medina, and there he consummated his marriage to Safiyya bint Huyai. I invited the Muslims to the wedding banquet in which neither meat nor bread was offered. He ordered for leather dining-sheets to be spread, and dates, dried yoghurt and butter were laid on it, and that was the Prophet's wedding banquet. The Muslims wondered, "Is she (Saffiyya) considered as his wife or his slave girl?" Then they said, "If he orders her to veil herself, she will be one of the mothers of the Believers; but if he does not order her to veil herself, she will be a slave girl. So when the Prophet proceeded from there, he spared her a space behind him (on his she-camel) and put a screening veil between her and the people.

and

Sahih Bukhari Volume 5, Book 59, Number 523 Narrated Anas bin Malik: The Prophet stayed with Safiya bint Huyai for three days on the way of Khaibar where he consummated his marriage with her. Safiya was amongst those who were ordered to use a veil.

Before I get to the last 4th evidence, these 2 hadiths above.
Why are the Mothers of the believers excluded from others to veil ?
It seems to be to distinguish the Prophets wives who have a different status from other women most notably slaves, and here I can see why that other women (not slaves) would wear veiling along with the guard yourself. Why would you want to be seen as a slave?
But there begs a question What about the slaves who were believers themselves? I�m sure there were muslims slaves also in those times.

And this 4th piece which I assume is an hadith but is a bit contradictory to the ones above since this one below speaks of Aisha not wearing a veil out of choice and wishing to show her beauty but it does demonstrate that veiling is not necessary and not a command of God.
When the son of a prominent companion of the Prophet asked his wife Aisha bint Talha to veil her face, she answered, "Since the Almighty hath put on me the stamp of beauty, it is my wish that the public should view the beauty and thereby recognized His grace unto them. On no account, therefore, will I veil myself." http://www.womeninworldhistory.com/essay-01.html (this is a good read)

Further references:
http://www.submission.org/women/hijab.html

In a society in Africa, the tribe � Tuareg, who are muslim, the men wear hijab which is called: �the tagelmoust, which covers the top of the head, the nose and the mouth, typically revealing only a pair of dark eyes. The tagelmoust serves both as a practical necessity in the heat and dust of the desert and a means of showing respect for strangers. The Tuareg are said to consider it rude for a man to show his mouth in public. The same is not true for women. Indeed, the Tuareg are the only Islamic people who encourage men, rather than women, to cover their faces.� http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,164-654269,00.html

How can not wearing a head covering not be tribal / customs but just a command in the qur�an? It would go against the qur�an verse 49:13:
�O people, we created you from the same male and female, and rendered you distinct peoples and tribes, that you may recognize one another. The best among you in the sight of God is the most righteous. God is Omniscient, Cognizant�

More on the Tureg:
http://www.ksafe.com/profiles/p_code/36.html

Ali the 4th Caliph says �the conditions laid down by God take precedence over the conditions set by man�

Does this not also apply to Muhammad who was a mere man even though he was choosen to show God�s words ?

Angel

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2005 at 9:06pm
Topic: The hadith are not commands, but explain the Quran (26 of 49), Read 210 times
Date: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 07:14 PM

Hello angel,

I am dealing your post in three points, and one point does not finish in one sentence, so please do not read the sentences as assorted statements, instead in a continuity explaining things as the post progresses.

Another thing is that I want to write it fast, so instead of using html tags, I have used capital letters. These are only emphasis, am not shouting on you ;)

I think on the whole you have three points
1. where is the command for an hijab, in the quran
2. why is the command deduced from the hadith and not the quran alone
3.if the women did not cover the faces, were they being regarded as slaves?

FIRST POINT IN YOUR POST
If am not mistaken, u want to ask if the command from God to cover is there in the Quran or not, right?

To this, myself, pathseeker and Mustafa had answered to you that YES there are verses which relate to this.

In order to examine verses, � to understand exactly how we muslims are supposed to follow these, we have a methedology, � that is used in most cases universally. We refer first of all to the hadith which explain these verses. This is so, because as the quran was being revealed, the muslims used to go to the Prophet to explain to them, how exactly they were supposed to understand these. The prophetic tafsir (explanation of Quran) of the quran are most trustworthy of all other hadith.

The reason why I gave to you the hadith of ansar women is because at that time, when the verse was revealed the way ansar women followed the verse, is to be taken as the correct way. Your comment �.

But this refers to the women of ansar, who are apparently women of Medina and not for ALL women otherwise it would / should be mention in another way. But this refers to the women of ansar, who are apparently women of Medina and not for ALL women otherwise it would / should be mention in another way

�..somehow reftects that you think this is to be read in reference to the ansar women alone.
THIS IS NOT CORRECT.

The verse is not revealed for the ansar women alone, however women who were present at that time, who came to learn about the verses before anyone else were the ansar women (beside the family of the prophet).

So when one is to research how the commands were followed, we will look into the PEOPLE who followed them, and here in this very case the ppl who were the first to follow, after the family of the prophet were the ansar women.

POINT TWO.
In order to study the Quran in the command to cover, we are supposed to look at how the command was carried out by muslims who were the first recipients of those commands.
We shld also research, the manner of following of the command which the Prophet (saw) praised, and that which he criticised.

You are saying�.

And they are hadiths not commands from God.

� when someone is giving you a hadith explaining how the muslims of the first generation followed the quran, there is no room to think they were mistaken from what the quran says and what they did was different, instead, try to understand that in those hadith there is further endorsement of the mannarism in which the verses are to be understood.

The hadith is a proof, that the verses were understood by the people correctly. Because if they had been wrong, the messenger was there to look into their mistakes and correct them.

Nobody can understand the quran just by reading it alone. � this is given in the quran as well, where it says, 'take what the messenger gives you and leave what he forbids'. The hadith which are given to you EXPLAIN the verses, THEY DO NOT STAND INDEPENDENT OF THE QURAN. �.

It seems that the modesty of the women of ansar was not a problem and could go about even learning for which they were praised for while in their own modesty and when the qur �an verse for jilbab, the long loose gown from neck to the feet was revealed later, then they took up the jilbab made from the torn sheets and here it gets a bit scratchy for me, if the jilbab is a gown from the neck to the feet, this doesn�t mean covering the head.

There are three points that I need to explain here. FIRST is the mention of what ansar women would learn and how their modesty did not prevent them from learning those things �. Their learning was in the matters of religion. They would ask questions on very personal and private matters, to the prophet thru ayesha (RAA), they were not shy in asking these questions because they wanted all matters of their lives to be according to the religion.
Thus this mention of their enthusiasm in learning is further endorsement they wanted to do everything right, down to the very letter. This only explains the decision to cover their heads was to carry out the commands of the quran, and not something independent of the quran.

SECONDLY, the reports are ADDITIVE, individially they are not COMPLETE proofs. So we cannot take out one hadith and say well it does not say anything about the head, and the other one does not say anything about the feet.
They are all authentic hadith. We make a SUM of the information contained in these to derive a TOTAL understanding. That is why you are seeing many hadith.

THIRDLY, they prayed behind the prophet with their heads covered, explains they 'CAME OUT OF THEIR HOUSES WITH THEIR HEADS COVERED' as there is nothing that would otherwiese state that they covered ONLY at the time of the prayer, but later removed their head covers.

What is necessary? Depending on the (women�s) situation and through choice figuring out what is necessary or apparent for them is their choice really.

Keeping the head bare is not a necessity, unless she sees it as a her own choice. She cannot place her choice above the good pleasure of allah. Allah's good pleasure lies in the covering of the head, so if she by choice leaves it uncovered she can do that, as allah has given her free will � but, it is this free will that man is going to be questioned about on the day of judgement. I think there is no harm in leaving the head open, except to the one's own soul.

On a side note here, you quoted from submission dot org. they are not muslims. They follow rashid khalifa, and I don�t want to comment on their understanding of the religion. Please try to quote from the traditional muslims.

The best garment is the garment of righteousness, is not ? And also what is in your heart and your intentions most of all counts ?

And does righteousness not lie in moulding of ones life according to the guidance of the prophets (SAW)? in Givining up ones choices against his(SAW) approvals and disapprovals as the quran says 'take what the messenger has to give you and leave what he forbids'?
What is in the heart shld reflect in the actions, because when the heart is diseased, like the body, it needs medicines. The polish of the heart are the actions of the limbs.

Just because one is covered up and its been mentioned before doesn�t denote being good nor protects you from harm. I�m sure God would have known this.

Angel, this is your understanding. I was not debating your concept of covering vs the quranic commandments. The command to cover is in the quran, and for this reason a muslim woman is required to observe it for her own soul, and her own relationship with allah.

Where in the verse it says head covering? For the section they shall cover their bosoms �juyoob (or chest �gayb in some versions), while looking at the Arabic translation there seems to be no word for head �raas or for hair �shaar in the verse and if the juyoob also refers to the neck, still were does the head / hair come into it?

Again this was explained fairly well, in one of the posts above by pathseeker �.. with the HELP of the hadith. The women would wear their khimar in such a way that it used to fall behind their shoulders (from the head) as khimar is a long scarf worn on the head. This verse is telling the women WHO WEAR THEIR KHIMAR FROM THE HEAD, LETTING IT FALL ON THE BACK, to take its edges, and cover their bosoms with it. (funny but Fezziwig thought the bosoms were nude, so the women were being asked to cover 'em, and now u think the head was not covered, and there is no mention of covering it �. Ur misunderstandings further explain how reading the quran is AIDED by a sketch of those times as contained in the hadith literature:))

The hadith EXPLAINS the verse in the QURAN, that was revealed to outline the dress code for women. The hadith is not a command. The hadith is a proof, of how that command was understood. Since the hadith was LIVED IN THE TIME OF THE MESSENGER, the way women understood the command of the quran, is to be regarded in an ADDITIVE manner. Not as a command in itself. Not as an individual report, but a part of the complete picture that is to be deduced by arranging all the pieces in right order.

However it should not be thought that the verse was revealed to those women only � because quran is a binding on all muslims of all times. As the quran says 'today I perfected your religion �.' The continuity of implication of this command(to cover) on the women of future generations was revealed in the verses that make QURAN applicable on all people of all times.

THIRD POINT IN YOUR POST
There is no condition to cover the face. As it was acceptable in the times of the prophet as well for women to leave their faces uncovered.
The ummulmomineen(mothers of believers or the wives of the prophets) did cover their faces, and they were not ordered by the prophet not to �. So, covering the face is not wrong either. Instead it was seen as a good thing.
Therefore, if a woman covers her face, it only adds to her piety, will not make her actons wrong or haram.

On the other hand, if the face is not covered does not mean that woman is a slave.

The hadith is only distinguishing between Prophet's wives and prophet's slave girls.

The other question you ask is, about the slaves who were believers. Well, they were supposed to cover like other women � thus they did not cover their faces, but followed the rest of the dress code.

Aisha not wearing a veil out of choice and wishing to show her beauty but it does demonstrate that veiling is not necessary and not a command of God.

As u quoted yourself, this was 'Aisha bint talha' �. Which means Aisha DAUGHTER OF TALHA.
Aisha daughter of talha was NOT ummulmomineen, I think u are confusing her with AISHA BINT ABU BAKR who was Aisha DAUGHTER OF ABU BAKR, the wife of the holy prophet, and thus ummulmomineen.

Since aisha bint talha was an ordinary muslimah, it was not required of her to cover her face. Does this remove the contradiction ;) ?

And the veiling that is being discussed in this particular report is that of the FACE not the head.

In gist, the dress code for women in islam is to be derived from what is contained in the quran about it . It needs to be understood, with the help of the models present in that generation of muslims who were living in the times when the order was revealed.

The choices of those women were not personal choices, but those which were in accordance with the quran, and their choices were approved by the messenger. Therefore how the messenger understood the order, how he approved the women's dress code, is the correct way of following it.

On a side note� messenger of allah was NOT a 'mere' man. This is your understanding, which may suit you, but using this term in discussions with muslims will not give any weight to your arguments ;) To understand the islamic concepts from a muslim point of view, it would be better if you try to comprehend why muslims would not take him (SAW) as a 'mere man' You ask,

Does this not also apply to Muhammad who was a mere man even though he was choosen to show God�s words ?

There is a hadith that I quote from memory alone, but shall insha allah produce reference if u so wish. �. He (SAW) said, I know allah better than you and I fear him more than you.
Another hadith, �.. when aisha (RAA) says, ya rasul allah, you are the one for whom allah has forgive all his past and future sins, shld u be spending that much time in ibadah (refering to his long hours of standing in prayer, that he had blisteres in his feet), and he(SAW) replies, oh, aisha, don�t you think I shld be the one who should be most grateful to allah?

He (SAW) did not ask men to take precedence in his commands over those of God. Instead God himself said � and am repeating myself, but it is necessary �. 'take what the messenger has to give you, and leave what he forbids'. The quran also says that 'he does not speak on his own accord, but what he is commanded to teach'

Peace,
Nausheen
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2005 at 9:07pm
Topic: The hadith are not commands, but explain the Quran (27 of 49), Read 208 times
Date: Thursday, January 29, 2004 12:07 AM

Peace,

Although I try not to praise others while they are actually present, sometimes I do get carried away.

Angel's last post in this thread was an extraordinary effort from a non-Muslim trying to question/understand certain Islamic views held by majority of Muslims....something quite similar to what I would have written 3-4 years ago :)

Nausheen's reply is the best I have read in this area. In some ways it was also educational for myself. It has also motivated me to undertake an initiative in increasing personal understanding with a broader vision.....God willing.

So when one is to research how the commands were followed, we will look into the PEOPLE who followed them, and here in this very case the ppl who were the first to follow, after the family of the prophet were the ansar women.......
In order to study the Quran in the command to cover, we are supposed to look at how the command was carried out by muslims who were the first recipients of those commands.
The hadith is a proof, that the verses were understood by the people correctly. Because if they had been wrong, the messenger was there to look into their mistakes and correct them........
Nobody can understand the quran just by reading it alone. This is given in the quran as well, where it says, 'take what the messenger gives you and leave what he forbids'. The hadith which are given to you EXPLAIN the verses, THEY DO NOT STAND INDEPENDENT OF THE QURAN......
The hadith is a proof, of how that command was understood. Since the hadith was LIVED IN THE TIME OF THE MESSENGER, the way women understood the command of the quran, is to be regarded in an ADDITIVE manner.....

I think the above (in italics) from her post explains well the difference in approach in understanding GOD's commandments between Muslims and people of other faiths. We are traditionalists, and continually endeavour to take the understanding of those whose understanding was approved by the person through whom came the divine message. We appreciate that understanding of Signs of GOD (e.g. Al-Quran) depends upon the ability to understand. And the ability to understand is a gift from GOD. Since that gift does not come announced, it is only in the hereafter one may discover how much or little one had been gifted.
Thus, just as we keep praying and seeking for that gift while trying to understand HIS signs, we keep a check on ourselves by being traditionalists. However, since traditions come from different sources and methodologies, we take caution while giving them a level of evidence/certainty. The equation that eventually determines our understanding is made up of our prayer/ability to seek, our individual understanding of the Scripture(s), the transmitted 'narratives' of the explanations of the Messenger of GOD/Prophet (pbuh) and 'approved' understanding/actions of the earliest Muslims. These are the variables in the equation, in which the constant is only the Scripture itself. Some of our views/actions fall outside this equation but believed to be most certainly Divinely ordained whether or not scriptural. These have been practiced (and therefore practically transmitted) regularly without a break by the community of Muslims at least since the time of Mohammed (pbuh) if not earlier--- for example, prayer, circumcision, fasting, Zakat, Haj etc.

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2005 at 9:10pm
Topic: More on Hijab (28 of 49), Read 196 times
Date: Thursday, January 29, 2004 11:21 PM

~Please dont frown! For you never know who may be falling in love with your smile!~
------------------------------------------------------------ -----------------------------

Hi back at chya :-)

Nausheen you are in triple brackets {}
{{{If am not mistaken, u want to ask if the command from God to cover is there in the Quran or not, right? }}}

Yes, mostly the hijab � the headcovering not the face veil, I know the face veil is an option as well as the burka to which both of these are ordered in some parts of the Islamic region and also for the woman who chooses for more piety to which I see this no different for the hijab.
{{{The prophetic tafsir (explanation of Quran) of the quran are most trustworthy of all other hadith.}}}
Sounds like there many other hadiths, so which one is the one that is of the Prophet�s?

{{{So when one is to research how the commands were followed, we will look into the PEOPLE who followed them, and here in this very case the ppl who were the first to follow, after the family of the prophet were the ansar women.}}}

Gee what happened to the men ? ;-)))
So basically you�re saying that because these women (both the Prophet�s wives and the women of Ansar) were the first, they ought to be trusted in their views about the commands.

{{{THIRDLY, they prayed behind the prophet with their heads covered, explains they 'CAME OUT OF THEIR HOUSES WITH THEIR HEADS COVERED' as there is nothing that would otherwiese state that they covered ONLY at the time of the prayer, but later removed their head covers.}}}

That�s not how I understood it, for me it was that their heads were covered and this state offered prayers (at the time of prayer) behind the Prophet.
You never did say anything about this, Is this below, not the full explanation of the above 3 parts actually make it the 2 parts?

"How praise-worthy are the women of Ansar that their modesty does not prevent them from attempts at learning and the acquisition of knowledge." Yet at another occasion, she said: " May Allah have mercy on the women of Ansar! When the Qur'anic verse relating to the wearing of jilbab (a long and loose gown which covers a woman's body from neck to feet) was revealed to the Prophet (saw), they tore off their big sheets of cloth and covered themselves with their torn parts and in this state offered their prayers behind the Prophet (saw) as silently as if crows were seated on their heads." http://members.aol.com/khananis/women.htm

�(Ayeshah praised the women of Ansar for their spirit of enquiry and learning, saying, 'How praiseworthy are the women of Ansar that their modesty does not prevent them from attempts at learning and the acquisition of knowledge.' (Sahih Muslim Kitab al Tahrat))� http://www.agnatemoslem.com/data/hadiths/had5/had50.html

The way I understood it and as well as the parts you gave first, is that the women of ansar were already modest before the covering, before the command and for attempting to learn were praised for learning and then later when the verse came the women covered and then further praised for covering which they adorned the jilbab the gown from neck to feet and with torn sheets covered their heads and so while in this state of prayers behind the Prophet.
Have I missed something ?

As for looking like crows, still at a lose :-|, lol!
But there seems to be a difference to what you say: they came out as if they had crows over their head, to: offered their prayers behind the Prophet as silently as if crows were seated on their heads.

{{{And does righteousness not lie in moulding of ones life according to the guidance of the prophets (SAW)?}}}

I can�t exactly answer here, its not belief to mould to someone else even if I do follow some examples of others ;-) But for you I guess the answer is Yes ;-)

Where in the verse it says head covering? For the section they shall cover their bosoms �juyoob (or chest �gayb in some versions), while looking at the Arabic translation there seems to be no word for head �raas or for hair �shaar in the verse and if the juyoob also refers to the neck, still were does the head / hair come into it?
{{{Again this was explained fairly well, in one of the posts above by pathseeker �.. with the HELP of the hadith. The women would wear their khimar in such a way that it used to fall behind their shoulders (from the head) as khimar is a long scarf worn on the head. This verse is telling the women WHO WEAR THEIR KHIMAR FROM THE HEAD, LETTING IT FALL ON THE BACK, to take its edges, and cover their bosoms with it. (funny but Fezziwig thought the bosoms were nude, so the women were being asked to cover 'em, and now u think the head was not covered, and there is no mention of covering it �. Ur misunderstandings further explain how reading the quran is AIDED by a sketch of those times as contained in the hadith literature:))
The hadith EXPLAINS the verse in the QURAN, that was revealed to outline the dress code for women. The hadith is not a command. The hadith is a proof, of how that command was understood. Since the hadith was LIVED IN THE TIME OF THE MESSENGER, the way women understood the command of the quran, is to be regarded in an ADDITIVE manner. Not as a command in itself. Not as an individual report, but a part of the complete picture that is to be deduced by arranging all the pieces in right order.
However it should not be thought that the verse was revealed to those women only � because quran is a binding on all muslims of all times. As the quran says 'today I perfected your religion �.' The continuity of implication of this command(to cover) on the women of future generations was revealed in the verses that make QURAN applicable on all people of all times.
}}}

Actually I was referring to the qur�anic verse 24:31, no hadiths. As I have looked there is no saying about hair or head. To me it should be stated so, even thou the hadiths explain the verses in the qu�ran.

Apart from that I get what you say :-)

{{{There is no condition to cover the face. As it was acceptable in the times of the prophet as well for women to leave their faces uncovered.
The ummulmomineen(mothers of believers or the wives of the prophets) did cover their faces, and they were not ordered by the prophet not to }}}

How do you explain the hadiths that say so, that the Prophet ordered them?
And I thought is was about head covering not face veiling?
Too much confussion ;-)), did I miss something ?

{{{The other question you ask is, about the slaves who were believers. Well, they were supposed to cover like other women � thus they did not cover their faces, but followed the rest of the dress code.}}}

Ok :-)

{{{As u quoted yourself, this was 'Aisha bint talha' �. Which means Aisha DAUGHTER OF TALHA.
Aisha daughter of talha was NOT ummulmomineen, I think u are confusing her with AISHA BINT ABU BAKR who was Aisha DAUGHTER OF ABU BAKR, the wife of the holy prophet, and thus ummulmomineen.
Since aisha bint talha was an ordinary muslimah, it was not required of her to cover her face. Does this remove the contradiction ;) ? }}}

Yes :-)
Some how forgot reading that it was the face, was too focused on the hijab I think ;-)

{{{The choices of those women were not personal choices, but those which were in accordance with the quran, and their choices were approved by the messenger. Therefore how the messenger understood the order, how he approved the women's dress code, is the correct way of following it.}}}

It seems different people have different understandings, why do some muslim women cry out to go back to the true islam of not wearing the hijab?
Are these women simply wrong (in your view) ?
I cannot see how these women would be all wrong?

I will write up something else, in time because I�ve realized something.

At them moment there is this, if Sahih al-Bukhari is recognized as authentic and is valid for you.
This verse below:
�The wives of the Prophet used to go to Al-Manasi, a vast open place (near Baqia at Medina) to answer the call of nature at night. 'Umar used to say to the Prophet "Let your wives be veiled," but Allah's Apostle did not do so. One night Sauda bint Zam'a the wife of the Prophet went out at 'Isha' time and she was a tall lady. 'Umar addressed her and said, "I have recognized you, O Sauda." He said so, as he desired eagerly that the verses of Al-Hijab (the observing of veils by the Muslim women) may be revealed. So Allah revealed the verses of "Al-Hijab"

Here Muhammad rejected Umar�s request for veiling and seems to went out to prove his point after being rejected to get the verses for Al-Hijab. And so when the point was shown to the Prophet somehow the verses appeared from Allah more so upon Umar�s request.
What�s the deal here ? Why is Umar somehow dictating what should be revealed in the qur�an?
And why was Umar spying on the Prophet�s wives answering the call of nature ;-))

That�s it for the time being :-)

As for all the other stuff, explanation you gave I get but it doesn�t stop me from questioning stuff thou ;-))

Angel.

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2005 at 9:12pm
Topic: More on Hijab (31 of 49), Read 201 times
Date: Saturday, January 31, 2004 01:43 AM

Hi back at chya :-)

And Hi to you Angel :)

Nausheen you are in triple brackets {}

You have a very bad habit of confining people :-| ;)
Use colors, they stand out more prominantly :) But its your choice, this is also fine by me.

{{{If am not mistaken, u want to ask if the command from God to cover is there in the Quran or not, right? }}}

Yes, mostly the hijab � the headcovering not the face veil,

So may I know if you have understood the command as revealed in the Quran.

Sounds like there many other hadiths, so which one is the one that is of the Prophet�s?

No Angel, it sounds like there are many "tafsirs". As for the hadith, they are all reports from the prophet (SAW).
Tafsir, or the explanation of the verses in the quran, are done by scholars most famous is that of Ibn Khatir. Also Maulana Maududi is very famous in the Indian subcontinent.
Those hadith which explain the verses in the quran are called "prophetic tafsir". I am sorry my wording was a bit sinister on this issue.

{{{So when one is to research how the commands were followed, we will look into the PEOPLE who followed them, and here in this very case the ppl who were the first to follow, after the family of the prophet were the ansar women.}}}

Gee what happened to the men ? ;-)))

We are talking about the "hijab", thus the men had been omitted for the present discussion ;) It does not mean we do not see the implications of the laws in the men of those times. Infact the first generation Muslims are called the people of the salaf, and they have been studied most meticulously and closely by the scholars to understand various principles in the religion.

So basically you�re saying that because these women (both the Prophet�s wives and the women of Ansar) were the first, they ought to be trusted in their views about the commands.

Yes, but partly. The other part is where I said, "the messenger was living with them � so had they made any mistake in understanding the command he(SAW) would have corrected them." Since whichever way they followed the commands, was approved by the messenger, logically their understanding of the command is considered to be correct.

The way I understood it and as well as the parts you gave first, is that the women of ansar were already modest before the covering, before the command and for attempting to learn were praised for learning and then later when the verse came the women covered and then further praised for covering which they adorned the jilbab the gown from neck to feet and with torn sheets covered their heads and so while in this state of prayers behind the Prophet.
Have I missed something ?

You are correct in your understanding, but I found you falling short in deducing from this report one point.
They were not being praised for doing something from their own accord, but for carrying out the revealed command. They did not observe the veil till the command came down, and when it did � they were quick to follow. Therefore from here one can read that
1.the command was revealed,
2. it was carried out by the ansar women almost instantly.
3. they were praised for their quick acceptance of the command.

In another version the same thing is said in the following words:

"By Allah, I never saw any better women than the women of the Ansar nor stronger in their confirmation of the book of Allah! When Sura al-Nur was revealed {and to draw their khum�r over their bosoms} (24:31) - their men went back to them reciting to them what Allah had revealed to them in that [sura or verse], each man reciting it to his wife, daughter, sister, and relative. Not one woman among them remained except she got up on the spot, tore up her waist-wrap and covered herself from head to toe (i`jtajarat) with it. They prayed the very next dawn prayer covered from head to toe (mu`tajir�t)."

This report appears in Hijab al Mar'a (Woman's veil) by Imam al Kawthari. Please note that here the words are: By Allah, I never saw any better women than the women of the Ansar nor stronger in their confirmation of the book of Allah!Thus it is agreed upon by the scholars, that this move of the women of ansar was a confirmation of what was revealed in the Quran.
Also pls note that in this report it is being said �.When Sura al-Nur was revealed {and to draw their khum�r over their bosoms} (24:31) - their men went back to them reciting to them what Allah had revealed to them in that [sura or verse], each man reciting it to his wife, daughter, sister, and relative.This means soon after the verse was revealed, the men conveyed the message to their women folk and they were readily accepting of the command.

As for looking like crows, still at a lose :-|, lol!
But there seems to be a difference to what you say: they came out as if they had crows over their head, to: offered their prayers behind the Prophet as silently as if crows were seated on their heads.

Sorry I cannot explain to you what it means by looking like crows .. tho is mentioned in almost all versions of this hadith.

I can�t exactly answer here, its not belief to mould to someone else even if I do follow some examples of others ;-) But for you I guess the answer is Yes ;-)

And that is my point �. The answer is a YES for every believing man or woman who understands the necessity of practicing ISLAM as their way of life. Doing like Muhammad(SAW) is submission to Islam, while doing other wise is "free will".
"Free will" will be questioned, and submission will be rewarded.

Where in the verse it says head covering?

Angel they are being asked to cover with their "khimar".
The words " bi khumurihinna" in the verse 24:31 mean with a head coverThey are being asked to draw their "head covers" over their awrah � thus they were already covering their heads, and the verse asks them to "extend" it farther, in order to cover more of their beauty, adornement, mannarism � and much more, as the word "awrah" mean a lot more than just bossom. In other words, allah is asking them to use their "Khimar" in a prescribed fashion. And to cover the awrah with the Khimar says volumes about a woman's hijab.

Actually I was referring to the qur�anic verse 24:31, no hadiths. As I have looked there is no saying about hair or head. To me it should be stated so, even thou the hadiths explain the verses in the qu�ran.

angel an sorry to say this .. don�t want to discourage you in your research, but sometimes we all miss things, including myself, because we are not well versed in arabic. While doing a search on "khimar" I found a very good illustration on what this word means in arabic. As I said above, this word in verse 24:31, is self explanatory, and a complete command for covering the head. And when it says, u cover the awrah, it says a lot more about what else is to be covered, along with the head.

Apart from that I get what you say :-)

Am glad you did, and am also happy for you, as u have improved a lot more in your writing skills :)

How do you explain the hadiths that say so, that the Prophet ordered them?
And I thought is was about head covering not face veiling?
Too much confussion ;-)), did I miss something ?

I cannot say this. Am not sure if the prophet ordered them, but once they did it, he never objected � and this in itself is a proof that they did not do anything haram, or wrong. In fact the scholars differ in their views on weather the face shld be covered or not, and those who say it shld be, give the daleel (evidence) that the face cover of these women was approved.
I personally do not cover my face, but I do believe that if a woman is wearing makeup, for any particular reason, (like if she is going to join a gathering where men and women are separated) she shld cover her face, till she is in "exclusively for women" surroundings.

It seems different people have different understandings, why do some muslim women cry out to go back to the true islam of not wearing the hijab?

I don�t know who are these women � it sounds weird to me.

Are these women simply wrong (in your view) ?
I cannot see how these women would be all wrong?

they are dead wrong � the "pre islamic women" did not cover, but as it is said in chapter Ahzab on the hijab �. Do not be like in the times of "jahiliya" �. Ie, do not continue to follow the customs of the pre-islamic period concerning the women's dress code. The true islam is all about wearing the hijab.

Here Muhammad rejected Umar�s request for veiling and seems to went out to prove his point after being rejected to get the verses for Al-Hijab. And so when the point was shown to the Prophet somehow the verses appeared from Allah more so upon Umar�s request.
What�s the deal here ? Why is Umar somehow dictating what should be revealed in the qur�an?

Well Angel the thing here is what I said in the Quran about the Prophet (SAW)

[53.1] I swear by the star when it goes down.
[53.2] Your companion does not err, nor does he go astray;
[53.3] Nor does he speak out of desire.

Umar(RAA) was asking him to order the women to cover � however he did not want to do that thru his authority, unless there was a divine command for the same. This means he was not making the religion, he was only doing his job as a messenger of God. Whatever is there in the Quran is not out of his (SAW) desire, but a command from Allah most high.

No Umar (RAA) was not trying to dictate the Quran, because, nobody accept allah had the power to reveal what He did. Umar (RAA) in history has been known for his adl (judgement), and dictating amr bil maroof, nahi anil munkar, which means enjoing the good and refraining from the bad, much during the time when he was amir-ul momineen, but also when he was only a companion of the prophet (SAW). Through his wisdom and foresightedness he felt the need for the ummulmomineen to be covered from the general male public, thus he would insist the prophet to order them for the same.
And don�t forget, his own daughter (Hafsa) was one of the ummulmomineen. I think he understood full well the representation these women had on the community, what their responsibility and their position demanded as a certain code of conduct from them, an upright character, and model role they were going to be seen as playing in future.

Even the Quran says that if they are guilty of any lewdness, their punishment from will be double that of ordinary muslimah. At the same time, for their righteousness, their reward with allah is double that of others. This is because they were not like any other women, they were given the rank of "mother of believers" by allah almighty himself.

[33.30] O wives of the prophet! whoever of you commits an open indecency, the punishment shall be increased to her doubly; and this IS easy to Allah. [33.32] O wives of the Prophet! you are not like any other of the women; If you will be on your guard, then be not soft in (your) speech, lest he in whose heart is a disease yearn; and speak a good word.

So, I don�t think Umar (RAA) was that wrong in asking the prophet to order them to cover, however he know well that it was not in his hands, thus he extended his request to the prophet. To make his point he recognised sauda (RAA) on a certain occasion, however, I don�t thing he had any questionable intentions in doing so.

And why was Umar spying on the Prophet�s wives answering the call of nature ;-))

I think you got carried away when you phrased this question so carelessly ;) Angel, here u are talking about one of the best followers of Prophet (SAW) He is one of the four Khulfa rashidun �.. the righteous chalifs. Pls take care of the feelings of the host community when you refer to these personalities. Thank you.

Peace,
Nausheen
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2005 at 9:26pm

Topic:

More on Hijab (32 of 49), Read 196 times

Conf:

References: Discussions Frequently Repeated

Angel

Date:

Wednesday, February 04, 2004 03:57 AM

Hi nausheen & Pathseeker :-)

Pathseeker you�re in brackets [[]] and Nausheen you�re in italics.

I want to get something cleared up first:

{And why was Umar spying on the Prophet?s wives answering the call of nature ;-))}

[[Firstly, and ignoring the provocative language you have used, what on earth gave you this idea that Umar (ra) was spying on Prophets wives?????? ]]

I think you got carried away when you phrased this question so carelessly ;) Angel, here u are talking about one of the best followers of Prophet (SAW) He is one of the four Khulfa rashidun �.. the righteous chalifs. Pls take care of the feelings of the host community when you refer to these personalities. Thank you.

First of all what gave me the idea is the verse itself ;-) and second I don�t how the question is provocative according to you Pathseeker, that�s not provocative. If you mean the words call of nature, it is used in the verse and if it�s the word spying, well that is what it seemed to me for the fact that Umar was anxious to have the verses for al-hijab, he went out to prove it somehow to get them revealed. That is the way it seemed to me and I mean no disrespect to anyone, no one shouldn�t be taking it otherwise. Some things for me cannot be put in any other way again, No offense is meant.

[[Angel.....you turned it all around..............I am disappointed!!!!!!!! ]]

I am sorry, I do not understand, What have I turned around ?, all I did was add a verse to the subject which is still on topic of covering and questioning it like everything else I do
;-)).
Don�t know what you�re disappointed for ?

You have a very bad habit of confining people :-| ;)
Use colors, they stand out more prominantly :) But its your choice, this is also fine by me.

Sorry :-)
Colors are good, I�ll just confine people to colors now :-P lol!

So may I know if you have understood the command as revealed in the Quran.

Yes, sorta I can�t help but feel that its part of culture and living conditions of living in the desert also somewhere there but anyway through all this it is clear from you and Pathseeker with all the information you brought in explaining and the methodology of the use of the books and some verses and that since the quran was revealed it has been an order to veil but still remains mix for me with this understanding.
And that there are many explanations of the verses both qur�an & hadiths that need some sifting through ;-) and Pathseeker throw a spanner in the works there why don�t ya, lol! The other version of the verse about umar, is pretty much what I know except those words you underlined � what does one do to believe which is which is right :-|
And also depending upon where your understanding is. I know when you read something at one point in time and it has an understanding for you and then at another time reading the same thing it will have a different understanding or meaning for you depends where you are in life, I think this is something like this when reading verses, I don�t know, it seems similar. :-)

I thought juyoob is the Arabic word for bossom And gayb for chest, which I believe is sometimes used and also the word awaat which means puberty in the verse 24:31 if you happen to use it, otherwise its use means private parts.
Not sure on awrah, where is does that come into it ?
p.s: you don�t need to repeat yourself that we are not well versed in arabic ;-))

u have improved a lot more in your writing skills :)

At the moment I have come to an end in this little research of mine and pretty much don�t have anything to give/question or any more understanding/explanations that are needed, right now.
It�s been good to sink my teeth into something :-)) and even though I�m not going to be muslim I have come away with more understanding, well mostly your understanding ;-) of what is and even though I made this thread mostly for myself here, but I think its good for everyone else to get a deeper perspective, perhaps I delved into areas/question things that perhaps may not get questioned by some people.

A great big thanks to you Pathseeker and Nausheen, you both have given me a lot there, I get it despite remaining mix ;-) � I�m sure you got frustrated with me at times nausheen ;-))

Peace
Angel
[p.s: Although no ones talked about Mulla Sadr and his confession. ]

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2005 at 9:27pm

Topic:

Closure on Hijab (40 of 49), Read 192 times

Conf:

References: Discussions Frequently Repeated

NAUSHEEN

Date:

Friday, February 06, 2004 04:50 AM

On 2/4/2004 3:57:00 AM, Angel wrote:
>Hi nausheen & Pathseeker :-)

Hi Angel,

Congratulations to you for coming to a closure on this thread :)

Just a very few things I want to respond to in this post.

>And also depending upon where
>your understanding is. I know
>when you read something at one
>point in time and it has an
>understanding for you and then
>at another time reading the
>same thing it will have a
>different understanding or
>meaning for you depends where
>you are in life, I think this
>is something like this when
>reading verses, I don�t know,
>it seems similar. :-)

This is indeed very true Angel. And may be sometime in future you will have a better understanding of what had been presented to you now :)

>I thought juyoob is the Arabic
>word for bossom And gayb for
>chest, which I believe is
>sometimes used and also the
>word awaat which means puberty
>in the verse 24:31 if you
>happen to use it, otherwise
>its use means private parts.
>Not sure on awrah, where is
>does that come into it ?

:)
Here is the transliteration of verse 24:31, and I underline for you all the words that have been highlighted either by us or you.

. Waqul lilmu/minati yaghdudna min absarihinna wayahfathna furoojahunna wala yubdeena zeenatahunna illa ma thahara minha walyadribna bikhumurihinna AAala juyoobihinna wala yubdeena zeenatahunna illa libuAAoolatihinna aw aba-ihinna aw aba-i buAAoolatihinna aw abna-ihinna aw abna-i buAAoolatihinna aw ikhwanihinna aw banee ikhwanihinna aw banee akhawatihinna aw nisa-ihinna aw ma malakat aymanuhunna awi alttabiAAeena ghayri olee al-irbati mina alrrijali awi alttifli allatheena lam yathharoo AAala AAawrati alnnisa-i wala yadribna bi-arjulihinna liyuAAlama ma yukhfeena min zeenatihinna watooboo ila Allahi jameeAAan ayyuha almu/minoona laAAallakum tuflihoona

You are right about Juyoob, but not about awrah, which appears as 'awrati alnnisa-i'. I think it is this which you think shld be appropriately translated as puberty.

Well i would say puberty is just one aspect of awrah ... but the word includes a lot more. Even a woman's voice is her awrah. The way she would carry herself is her awrah. ... and well ask a native arab, he/she may explain it a lot better than myself. Only i know this far is because I researched the command to veil a lot before I started to observe it myself.
But it is very true, what you said about a person's perspective in understanding a certain matter.

>p.s: you don�t need to repeat
>yourself that we are not well
>versed in arabic ;-))

Hope i did not repeat myself this time. ;)

>A great big thanks to you
>Pathseeker and Nausheen, you
>both have given me a lot
>there, I get it despite
>remaining mix ;-) � I�m sure
>you got frustrated with me at
>times nausheen ;-))

There is nothing to thank about, Angel. If u thank me, i thank you with equal sincerity, as u gave me a fair chance to present my religion to you :)
I was not fristrated with you this time.(and there have been so many other times where I have not felt frustrated (?)) Either I have grown in understanding with you, or you have improved, or both :) Anyways it was good I suppose.
On a side note, did i seem frustrated at any point ... am asking because i really did not feel this way :)

>[p.s: Although no ones talked
>about Mulla Sadr and his
>confession. ]

oops! who is he ... the iranian guy? Sorry, may be someother time :P

Peace,
Nausheen

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2005 at 9:29pm
Topic: Closure on Hijab (48 of 49), Read 185 times
Date: Saturday, February 07, 2004 08:44 PM

On 2/6/2004 4:50:00 AM, NAUSHEEN wrote:
>:)
>Here is the transliteration of verse
>24:31, and I underline for you all the
>words that have been highlighted either
>by us or you.

>You are right about Juyoob, but not
>about awrah, which appears as
>'awrati alnnisa-i'. I think it is this which
>you think shld be appropriately
>translated as puberty.

Maybe, perhaps you should check out the link some time that I gave that explains.

>Well i would say puberty is just one
>aspect of awrah ... but the word
>includes a lot more. Even a woman's
>voice is her awrah. The way she would
>carry herself is her awrah.

ok, gives me more insight :-).

> ... and
>well ask a native arab, he/she may
>explain it a lot better than myself.

Ok
I'll ask Deist sometime ;-))

>Hope i did not repeat myself this time. ;)

Na :-))

>On a side note, did i seem frustrated at
>any point ... am asking because i really
>did not feel this way :)

No not that I notice really.

>>[p.s: Although no ones talked
>>about Mulla Sadr and his
>>confession. ]
>oops! who is he ... the iranian guy? Sorry, may be someother time :P

Perhaps another time, lol!

Angel.