IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - More on Hijab (from old forum)  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

More on Hijab (from old forum)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More on Hijab (from old forum)
    Posted: 04 December 2005 at 8:35pm

Hi everyone

I've decided to bring my thread over from the old forum. Since there's been a quite a bit of talk again recently on wearing the hijab / scarf. My research was on the rulings more so than reasons why. Mostly here Nausheen is the one who helped, while a few did offer their insights to, and provided more explanations. I have not been at this for almost two years, so please forgive any naivity here on my writings  

I ask for ALL to please NOT post anything till I have brought all posts relevant to the subject, I just like to have this in an orderly fashion first than have it interpretated.  Then after, you girls (and boys) can go for it  

I don't think I will join in in discussions as I have just about exhausted my own talks and thoughts about it  

oh and I will let you know when you can start replying - if that is what you want to do

p.s: the links I've provided, not sure if they are still working, haven't checked them.

Edited by Angel
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2005 at 8:36pm
Topic: More on Hijab (1 of 49), Read 273 times
Conf: References: Discussions Frequently Repeated
Date: Friday, January 23, 2004 07:38 AM

"Take away love and our earth is a tomb".

~Please dont frown! For you never know who may be falling in love with your smile!~
------------------------------------------------------------ -----------------------------

MORE ON HIJAB

A disclaimer first, I�m not saying that the hijab is wrong (or right) I�m on neutral grounds here, I�m not fussed if someone want to wear it or see it as their belief to do so as many here do :-) and I guess the debate on the topic probably won�t go away either ;-)). I�m not talking about the reason why to cover up that has been debated & discussed quite thoroughly here:
http://wb.islamicity.com:8080/read?61208,4

The other side of the issue it seems is the ruling on wearing the hijab, it varies and varies with interpretation of the qur�an and hadiths, especially when there is so many thinking people these day. Something came to my attention about the hijab, not the hijab itself but a type /style of hijab (to which I�m trying to decipher which style?). I�m not aware if you know about this guy of late Amir Taheri who wrote a report This is not islam and that he interviewed Mussa Sadr, an Iranian mullah back in the 1970�s who confessed to inventing this hijab to show �Shi'ite women would be clearly marked out, and thus spared sexual harassment, and rape, by Yasser Arafat's Palestinian gunmen who at the time controlled southern Lebanon.� And now its became a political ploy among the muslim extremists to keep control on what may not be the true Islam. And you might get the feeling why many see it as oppression. Full report here: http://www.benadorassociates.com/article/509

In the light of what is happening in France on the issue banning the hijab, I did a little more research into the history of the hijab since reading the report �this is not Islam� describing the form of hijab today is not prescribe in the qur�an and not around in the earlier days. I also came across a report about why France is imposing the ban, click here:
http://islam.about.com/cs/currentevents/i/france_hijab.htm that muslim extremists and other radical organization are such a problem then I don�t blame france for bring in the ban for the safety of its citizens both muslim and non-muslims, don�t you?
We sometimes don�t know the full story of things, perhaps Chirac knows something that we don�t ?

I find it interesting thou for me not until recently and learning about history also there wasn�t much mention of it as it is now. And I must wonder also in how much of it has become a political statement than a religious statement.
Fair enough to state this is who I am and I have certain values I want respected and it�s a personal choice, I don�t see wrong in that.
In my view I have never before seen such an uproar and controvisery over the Hijab and I haven�t seen or read anything of it in past history the controviseries and sometimes I have to think what�s the deal here why so much ?

Can any muslim (the older one) remember any such events over the headcovering ?

Throughout my research I come across many muslims don�t wear hijab because they believe its not part of a religious duty and it�s a matter of culture / tradition and that only the wives of the Prophet covered their faces for other men not to see them in sexual terms but not extended to other women, since the wives were married to the Prophet.
From this I can see where covering would come from especially when followers follow the way and illuminate them but not a duty or order. But how many turn this around to make law out if it.
For the Prophets wives only to veil goes in accordance with a point in Karen Armstrong�s book � A history of God which states that:
�the religion was later hijacked by the men, who interpreted texts in a way that was negative for Muslim women. The Koran does not prescribe the veil for all women but only for Muhammad�s wives, as a mark of their status. Once Islam had taken its place in the civilized world, however, muslims adopted those customs of the Oikumene which relegated women to second class status. They adopted the customs of veiling women and secluding them in harems from Persia and Christian Byzantium, where women had long been marginalized in this way. By the time of the Abbasid caliphate (750 � 1258), the position of Muslim women was as bad as that of their sisters in Jewish and Christian society. Today Muslim feminists urge their menfolk to return to the original spirit of the Koran�

I�ve come across many points that women in the middle east, Islamic dominate countries want to go back to what was the true islam of the Prophet, not to wear hijab / headcovering these women speak of the true islam and then you get the girls (and men) who do cover speak true islam like here at IC � not that I doubt you � but sometimes I think these women in the islamic countries must know something of their heritage to even voicing wanting to go back to true islam, somewhere along the line there is something a miss and a re-evaluation of assessment to be done. There must be some truth to it.

Back to France, I was also reading that not many turned out to protest the ban on the hijab in Paris as expected and that the many stayed away because they don�t believe in the hijab as such and some of those see it as an oppression being forced to wear the veil through threats & violence when also they know that its not prescribe (and if its prescribe how can a woman see the hijab as something good and for protection if she has / had been oppress, all she sees is hijab as a symbol of oppression and negativity to oneself and just wants to be freed?). And I also say this is of the situation for a lot women in Islamic countries.

In reality there are 2 means to the veil / hijab, 1) it is liberation/protection for some whether its a duty or not and 2) it is oppression whether it�s a duty or not.
And this comes from muslim women more, they�re the ones living with it everyday and they�re the ones with the experience of it.

If its true that this mulla Sadr introduce the hijab known today in the 70�s (and if its not true why confess really) then it�s a man made law and not God�s and isn�t this shirk in islam ?

Here are some links:
http://islam.about.com/cs/currentevents/i/france_hijab.htm

http://www.thecourier.com/opinion/columns/CM121903.htm

http://www.benadorassociates.com/article/509

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shetubondhon/message/6172
read the replies also

http://www.muslimwakeup.com/archives/000189.php

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shetubondhon/message/6185
read the replies also

http://www.womeninworldhistory.com/essay-01.html

No offence, it wasn't what I set out to do.

Angel.

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2005 at 8:40pm
Topic: More on Hijab (2 of 49), Read 233 times
Date: Friday, January 23, 2004 08:34 AM

Many issues here..................Angel.

Clearly Quran asks women to guard their modesty. It also asks men to limit their gaze.

A researcher (a historian perhaps?) must be able to tell us how women of Prophet Mohammed's (pbuh) time used to dress up (or cover up)---especially women in the household of his nearest and dearest companions: This I must say is important to be researched and known.

But then one could always pass that evidence away as simply customary of those times--tradition!

So now one has to look into Ahadith (oral reports of Prophet's sayings, actions, etc) since the practice has been lost by the larger part of the community of Muslims through time..........otherwise one wouldn't have needed to probe narratives/Ahadiths at all in such a matter. And one has to 'weigh' the Ahadith to establish a 'level' of evidence.

This would be one way of a scholarly research into hijab.

However until then...............an individual might address the issue in the following way:

1. Think of a person one really Reveres.....ones grandad, Jesus, Buddha etc. Then imagine one is going specifically to meet this personality. And think of how one would want to dress............and then think why would one dress otherwise at other times.............were it not to 'tempt' others. And if really the subconscious and hitherto unrealised objective is temptation of others........then one should not complain if another gets a little out of control!
So really what is the PURPOSE of exposing legs upto mid thighs, upperlimbs upto the shoulders, neck line upto the cleavage, belly from the hips up to the ribs? What is the dividing line between looking good to others and tempting others? Is this just a mating ritual with the power to choose only with the fairer sex?
What should the world think of me...when I come out of my mercedes 500 in Aramani with silver platters full of roasted lamb, turkey, and caviar ALL for MYSELF while I am in a village struck by longstanding drought and famine?

2. Why do these people talk so much about rape...........and not at all about its motivating factors?

3. Perhaps the reason why Quran and hadith (to my knowledge) do not narrow it down to specifics is to leave individuals reach a conclusion based on their spirituality.........UNITL a STATE of ISLAM passes a legal order.

More later..............once you come back

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2005 at 8:42pm
Topic: More on Hijab (3 of 49), Read 221 times
Date: Saturday, January 24, 2004 12:49 AM

Hello Angel,

A researcher (a historian perhaps?) must be able to tell us how women of Prophet Mohammed's (pbuh) time used to dress up (or cover up)---especially women in the household of his nearest and dearest companions: This I must say is important to be researched and known.

I wish to say more on this thread Angel, but sorry, don�t have a lot of time this week. Here are some Hadith that address the above mentioned point by pathseeker, insha allah

Narrated Umm Salamah, Ummul Mu'minin: When the verse "That they should cast their outer garments over their persons" was revealed, the women of Ansar came out as if they had crows over their heads. Sunan Abu Dawud: Book 32, Number 4090.
and
Narrated Aisha, Ummul Mu'minin: Safiyyah, daughter of Shaybah, said that Aisha mentioned the women of Ansar, praised them and said good words about them. She then said: When Surat an-Nur came down, they took the curtains, tore them and made head covers (veils) of them. Sunan Abu Dawud: Book 32, Number 4089.
and:
Narrated Anas ibn Malik: The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) brought Fatimah a slave which he donated to her. Fatimah wore a garment which, when she covered her head, did not reach her feet, and when she covered her feet by it, that garment did not reach her head. When the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) saw her struggle, he said: There is no harm to you: Here is only your father and slave. Sunan Abu Dawud: Book 32, Number 4094.

The following excerpt is taken from this article.

Allah the Exalted says in Surat an-Noor, ayah 31:
And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and guard their private parts and not show of their adornment except only that which is apparent, and draw their veils over their (necks and) bosoms and not reveal their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands' fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers, or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or their slaves, or male servants who lack vigor, or small children who have no knowledge of women's private parts. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And turn you all to Allah in repentance, O believers, that you may be successful.
And He says in Surat al-Ahzab, ayah 59:
Oh Prophet, tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their outer garments close around them. That will be better, that they may be known and so not be bothered. And Allah is oft-forgiving, most merciful.
From these two ayat of the Noble Qur'an and from the authentic sources of guidance provided for us, we can derive the following principles of proper dress and adornment for Muslim women:
1. The outer garment worn in public must cover all of the body except the face and hands.
Surat an-Noor, ayah 31 (quoted above) contains a clear command that a woman's natural beauty and her adornment are to be concealed from strangers, except that which might show unintentionally (i.e. parts of the dress or ornaments) or which show as a matter of course because it is not prohibited that they be shown (i.e. the face and the hands).
Abu Dawud narrated that 'A'ishah said:
Asma came to see the Messenger of Allah (saws). She was wearing a thin dress; the Prophet (saws) turned away from her and said to her: "O Asma, once a woman reaches the age of puberty no part of her body should be uncovered except her face and hands."
It should be noted that the Arabic word khumur (plural of khimaar) which has been translated above in the ayah from Surat an-Noor as veils, means head covers, not face veils, as may mistakenly be supposed. It refers to a cloth which covers all of the hair. Furthermore, the word juyoob (plural of jaib), also found in the ayah of Surat an-Noor, refers not only to the bosom, as is commonly thought, but also to the neck.
Qurtubi, an eminent mufassir (Qur'an commentator), stated:
Women in those days used to cover their heads with the khimaar, throwing its ends on their backs. This left the neck and the upper part of the chest bare, along with the ears, in the manner of the Christians. Then Allah commanded them to cover those parts with the khimaar.
"And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment."
Women in the time of the Prophet (saws) used to wear anklets, which they could employ to attract attention by stamping their feet, making the anklets tinkle together. This practice was now forbidden, but even more important for us, these words make it absolutely clear that the legs and ankles are to be covered.
Bin 'Umar narrated
Let them lower their gaze Prophet (saws) said: "On the Day of Judgment Allah will not look upon one who trails his garment along out of pride." Um Salamah then asked: "What should women do with their garments?" The Prophet (saws) said: "They may lower them a hand span." She said: "Their feet would still be uncovered." The Prophet (saws) said: then lower them a forearm's length, but no more."
Tirmithi
The ayah from Surat an-Noor quoted above gives us specific and detailed information about what a Muslim woman should be sure to cover when she is in the company of strangers, and it gives a detailed list of those with whom she is permitted to be less inhibited. The ayah quoted from Surat al-Ahzab further directs Muslim women to put some outer garment over their clothes, and to draw it close around them.
Abu Dawud related that after this ayah was revealed the women of the Ansar appeared like crows (because of the black cloaks which they wore).

I just skimmed thru this article, but get an impression that the two ayah in the Quran that ask the women to cover, are explained in full.

Wish you a happy reading.

On a side note: Angel, your interest and sincerity over the subject is commendable, alhamdulillah :)

Peace,
Nausheen
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2005 at 8:43pm
Topic: More on Hijab (4 of 49), Read 213 times
Date: Monday, January 26, 2004 04:40 PM

Although this does not add to what has already been written here on Hijab, I found the following a very simple answer despite lacking a bit on referencing.

Question

I am a student of the Quran. After going through it many many times, I have come to the conclusion that nowhere does it mention that women should cover their heads. In the following verse, God is asking women to cover their bosoms with a Khimar (a dress, a coat, a shawl, a shirt, a scarf, etc.), not their heads or their hair.
And tell believing women to lower their eyes, and maintain their chastity. They shall not reveal any parts of their bodies, except that which is necessary. They shall cover their chests, [with their Khimar] and shall not relax this code in the presence of other than their husbands, their fathers, the fathers of their husbands, their sons, the sons of their husbands, their brothers, the sons of their brothers, the sons of their sisters, other women, the male servants or employees whose sexual drive has been nullified, or the children who have not reached puberty... (24:31)
After all the Almighty does not run out of words. If He required of the believing women to cover their heads, He would have clearly said so. Is not then covering the head a cultural tradition? Is it not that it is this tradition which scholars have erroneously identified with Islam? Please comment.

Answer

You see it is imperative while interpreting the verses of the Quran to determine the addressee of a particular verse otherwise one is bound to end up misinterpreting the verse. The address in the Quran changes among the various groups present (Muslims, Jews, Christians, Hypocrites), and if one reflects on the context of a verse and has a flare for the language of this Divine masterpiece, it is not difficult to grasp who among the groups is addressed.
As far as 24:31 is concerned, it is obvious from its very first words that the believing women of the Prophet's times are addressed. The Arabic word used for believing women is 'Al-Muminat'. People normally translate this word without taking into account the article 'Al' (alif-lam) appended to the word 'Muminat'. The particle 'Al' if properly translated together with the word 'Muminat' to which it is attached would mean 'these believing women' and not 'believing women'. The phrase 'these believing women' obviously refers to the believing women who were present at the time these verses were revealed. It is an established historical fact the believing women of those times used to wear a khimar (a covering) on their heads and then made it fall along their bodies without covering their chests. It is they who are addressed and told that they must cover their chests as well.
In other words, since the directive is given to women who already covered their heads but did not cover their chests, it was not required to mention the covering of the head. So the point which needs to be understood is that while translating these verses one must give due consideration to the word 'Al-Muminat' and see in what form believing women already dressed and what was the additional directive given to them.
Moreover, the nature of this directive is such that it cannot be confined to the believing women of the Prophet's times: it pertains to every believing women. All directives which have moral implications are general. For example if it had been said in the Quran that 'these believing women should always uphold the truth and never lie', then though the believing women of a particular age are addressed, it obviously cannot be concluded that believing women of later times are not bound by this directive.
Therefore, in my opinion, covering the head is neither a cultural tradition nor the product of some scholar: It is the purport of the Quran.

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2005 at 8:45pm
Topic: More on Hijab (5 of 49), Read 217 times
Date: Monday, January 26, 2004 05:50 PM

"In other words, since the directive is given to women who already covered their heads but did not cover their chests, it was not required to mention the covering of the head. "

How odd! "...covered their heads but did not cover their chests...". Strange. Seems unlikely.

F

Topic: More on Hijab (6 of 49), Read 216 times
Date: Monday, January 26, 2004 11:18 PM

On 1/26/2004 5:50:00 PM, fezziwig wrote:

>How odd! "...covered their
>heads but did not cover their
>chests...". Strange. Seems
>unlikely.
>

:)

Ah! Fezziwig I know the visuals that are coming up in your imagination!

But thats not how it really was.

To cover the chest...does not mean to cover BARE/NUDE chests. In the Quran the directives were first issued not to some 'jungle women' but 'civilised' women of a major city. They used to have a head cover but did not take care (as most women of today) to hide the prominence of their mammary glands. That prominence is enough temptation--- In rural eastern europe some women still cover their heads but I suspect very few take care to hide thoracic bulges.

Allah asks women to hide that prominence and so they did by lowering the head scarf to cover up the prominence of chest and in so doing veiled their faces too.

One simple sentence achieved a lot don't you think!

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2005 at 8:47pm
Topic: More on Hijab - to pathseeker (7 of 49), Read 222 times
Date: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 06:55 AM

"Take away love and our earth is a tomb".

~Please dont frown! For you never know who may be falling in love with your smile!~
------------------------------------------------------------ -----------------------------

Haven�t forgotten about this thread, Nausheen (anyone) I have been working on a responses and not quite finished yet, tomorrow sometime it will be ready�Ah just wait ;-) but Pathseeker I can reply to yours now which is just below ;-))

I have put you in brackets [] ok?

[[Clearly Quran asks women to guard their modesty. It also asks men to limit their gaze.]]

Sure the qur�an ask to guard modesty but does it mean that you have to wear hijab, head covering? Especially when modesty means differently to different regions, today and in the past? So wouldn�t God know this and left it up to the person to decide, as long as they are practicing their faith and being righteous?

[[A researcher (a historian perhaps?) must be able to tell us how women of Prophet Mohammed's (pbuh) time used to dress up (or cover up)---especially women in the household of his nearest and dearest companions: This I must say is important to be researched and known.

But then one could always pass that evidence away as simply customary of those times--tradition!]]

Exactly, it seems to me that women (and men) wear accordingly to what is acceptable to them while following religion, it doesn�t make them any less righteous which is the first and foremost command in Islam, right?

[[So now one has to look into Ahadith (oral reports of Prophet's sayings, actions, etc) since the practice has been lost by the larger part of the community of Muslims through time..........otherwise one wouldn't have needed to probe narratives/Ahadiths at all in such a matter. And one has to 'weigh' the Ahadith to establish a 'level' of evidence.]]

I understand that and see why but is not �the conditions laid down by God take precedence over the conditions set by man� according to Ali the 4th Caliph ?
And does this not also apply to Muhammad who was a mere man even though he was choosen to show God�s words ?

[[So really what is the PURPOSE of exposing legs upto mid thighs, upperlimbs upto the shoulders, neck line upto the cleavage, belly from the hips up to the ribs? What is the dividing line between looking good to others and tempting others? Is this just a mating ritual with the power to choose only with the fairer sex?]]

Honestly I can scream at such things, this concept needs to be reviewed among the group, and it�s a degrading & insulting point for many who do not dress for seductive reasons and prostitute themselves!!
Women can dress modestly and look good and feel good without being such!
It�s not all about looking good to others and tempting others which is being seductive to attract.

There IS the concept of looking good for oneself only and feeling good about yourself inside and out and NOT for others!!
Try and understand this.

To answer the second question and IF one is doing that, perhaps there�s not much of a dividing line btw looking good for others & tempting others (and the question is: tempting what ?? its doesn�t necessarily mean sex in all cases) and perhaps it is just a mating ritual considering natural science & biology of attracting.

[[What should the world think of me...when I come out of my mercedes 500 in Aramani with silver platters full of roasted lamb, turkey, and caviar ALL for MYSELF while I am in a village struck by longstanding drought and famine?]]

You have money ;-))
But seriously, its nobody�s business but yours really, you earned it and you choose how to use it, but being in a village of famine and drought like that is not really fair, don�t you think ?
I think it�s a silly question.

[[2. Why do these people talk so much about rape...........and not at all about its motivating factors?]]

Who are these people ??

[[3. Perhaps the reason why Quran and hadith (to my knowledge) do not narrow it down to specifics is to leave individuals reach a conclusion based on their spirituality.........UNITL a STATE of ISLAM passes a legal order.]]

I would somewhat agree here, in other words God left it up to individuals choose accordingly. A God given right.
But I don�t understand � passes a legal order ? If you mean that the state, the legal authourites/governments to pass a law on how one dress�s ? If that happens (and it has happened with Mulla Sadr in 1975 ordering the hijab to be worn and I�ve provided a link to his confession) then you are taking away the God given right to choose that God gave to people/individuals, if you do that then you are defying God.
Do you not agree ?

Angel.

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2005 at 8:58pm

Topic: More on Hijab (17 of 49), Read 224 times
Date: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 09:29 AM

Angel you are italicised.

I have put you in brackets [] ok?

Ok. I know----sometimes I do need restraints :)

Sure the qur?an ask to guard modesty but does it mean that you have to wear hijab, head covering? Especially when modesty means differently to different regions, today and in the past? So wouldn?t God know this and left it up to the person to decide, as long as they are practicing their faith and being righteous?

I don't know if you noticed, but I, from my side, have not given any definitive interpretation of Modesty. However, in my posts is reflected the view that I do consider covering of head and face as more cautious and God-fearing approach, personally, while entertaining the fact that other readers of Quran and interpreters of Hadiths may not do so--- and as I said before that it is the level of faith that reflects ones view.

A parable from me:

An exam date is fast approaching while we are students in a university. We all wish to pass the test. We all make some preparatory attempts. Most of us, perhaps, can tell when the preparation is so bad that chances of passing are almost non-existent. But what is that level that guarantees passing? And what guarantees distinction? At least I have never been able to find that out! The more the effort the better----thats what everyone says.

Clearly a head and face cover cannot be wrong.

You say "God knows this and left it up to the person to decide, as long as they are practicing their faith and being righteous". So really if that someone is 'really' being righteous, she would be ensuring that whatever Modesty IS in an Absolute form, it is fulfilled in her. This is what I would call being righteous, anything else is carelessness and heedlessness.

If you know GOD wants you to be Modest but to you it is not clear how much, then you must always raise your assumed standards if GOD's command means anything at all---for I know not what over modesty is!

it seems to me that women (and men) wear accordingly to what is acceptable to them while following religion, it doesn?t make them any less righteous which is the first and foremost command in Islam, right?

You see that is where the problem is ---- you are thinking from an alien perspective according to my views.

Now read this:

I believe in a Supreme God. HE is above all. HE is my creator. HE is the Ultimate reality. HE is my goal.

HE asks modesty from me in dressing up. I shall therefore dress up in a way that is 'acceptable to me'.
Do you notice its the same old ME-ism eventually even after so much of HIM at the outset?

And does this not also apply to Muhammad who was a mere man even though he was choosen to show God?s words ?

And here Angel you know what the problem is? You have not read Quran to understand Islam. Whatever you might have read, might have been to answer questions on Islamicity :)

Being Word of GOD, Al-Quran passes on Divine authority (BUT NOT DIVINITY) to Mohammed (pbuh) as well as to an Islamic State (unless its laws are against Quran and Sunnah).

"He (Mohammed-pbuh) does not speak of his own accord".
"In him is for you a Perfect Example"
"Take what he gives and leave what he shuns"

These are how I remember the translations of some verses in the Quran. Reference may be provided if required.

There IS the concept of looking good for oneself only and feeling good about yourself inside and out and NOT for others!! Try and understand this.

I don't know how else to put it so as not to offend you and others-----but truly I desire not to hurt your feelings---apologies in advance:

Revealing body makes one feel good? Then why not just stand naked in front of the mirror and just keep feeling good in private. Why in public?
Does one don better clothes at home than outside? This would show how interested one is in looking good to oneself rather than (tempting) others.

To answer the second question and IF one is doing that, perhaps there?s not much of a dividing line btw looking good for others & tempting others (and the question is: tempting what ?? its doesn?t necessarily mean sex in all cases) and perhaps it is just a mating ritual considering natural science & biology of attracting.

Now you have contradicted your earlier statement. Let me tell you point blank -----------even you, as a woman, do not know of any other reason why women like to expose themselves besides the reason of an inner (subconscious) desire to sexually attract. I know it will take time to sink in----but I can tell you with certainty you have no other explanation. So if such is the desire, and one does not take care to attract a particular target (let us say a husband) and invites all----then why cry rape at all?

But seriously, its nobody?s business but yours really, you earned it and you choose how to use it, but being in a village of famine and drought like that is not really fair, don?t you think ? I think it?s a silly question.

No Madam----certainly NOT!

There are two parties to this business:

I, the person showing off, AND them people (I am showing off too). If I feel my pleasures from showing off should be tolerated and respected; then I gotta respect their desire of not being tempted.

If that happens (and it has happened with Mulla Sadr in 1975 ordering the hijab to be worn and I?ve provided a link to his confession) then you are taking away the God given right to choose that God gave to people/individuals, if you do that then you are defying God. Do you not agree ?

Mulla Sadr? I don't know. But Quran does give an Islamic State this right. A true Islamic State is not only for prosecution of crime, but also for its prevention. In fact absence of the latter invalidates the former! A truly Islamic state must ban sexual exploitation of women AND also forbid tempting of men by women. Women who covet lust of men for them, and men who exploit women for secondary gains are strongest opponents of Hijab. Foremost you will find lobbyists from the corporate world that force leaders of nations to curtail a potentially contagious hijabism. Things don't sell well without a gynaecoid pelvis :)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic