IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Crucifixion of Jesus  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crucifixion of Jesus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2014 at 8:47am
Originally posted by kometa2 kometa2 wrote:

facts facts facts

The Historical Evidence #1. Eyewitness Sources

There are many evidences from which one can argue for the historicity of Christ�s death by crucifixion, of which I will use only a few.  The first evidence for Jesus� crucifixion is from the testimony of eyewitness sources.  Many Muslims do not believe there is eyewitness material in the accounts of the crucifixion of Jesus.  In fact, one Muslim claims that �Not a single one of the Christians was a witness with them [the Jews]. Rather the apostles kept a distance through fear, and not one of them witnessed the crucifixion.�

This argument is largely based upon Matthew 26:56 which says, �Then all the disciples forsook him, and fled.� Though the disciples forsook Jesus, some of them were still witnesses from a distance (Mark 14:54).  Also, there was an anonymous disciple whom Jesus, while on the cross, commanded to take care of Mary (John 19:26-27).  The Gospel of Luke reports that while Jesus was carrying the cross, �. . . there followed him a great company of people, and of women, which also bewailed and lamented him (Luke 23:27, emphasis mine).�  In addition to these people already mentioned the Gospels are scattered with references to Jewish leaders (Mt. 27:41; Mk. 15:31), Roman centurion (Mt. 27:54; Mk. 15:39; Lk. 23:47) and soldiers (Mt. 27:35; Mk. 15:24; Lk. 23:35; and John 19:18, 23) who all witnessed Jesus� crucifixion.  For Muslims to argue that the crucifixion is not historical simply does not square with the historical data because there were multitudes of witnesses to the fact that the Romans crucified Jesus.

#2. Medical Evidence

In light of the eyewitness evidence from the gospels, there is strong medical evidence that confirms the historicity of Christ�s death as presented in the Gospels.  Before examining the medical evidence, as a general point the Romans knew how to crucify their victims.  To suppose that the Romans would have allowed Jesus to escape the cross, is nonsensical.  The Romans knew how to kill someone and they knew when someone was dead. 

Concerning the specific medical evidence, the gospels report specific conditions that a crucified victim would have experienced.  First, in Jesus� pre-crucifixion experience in the Garden of Gethsemane, the Gospel of Luke reports that Jesus sweated �great drops of blood� (Luke 22:44).  According to Alexander Metherell an M.D. and Ph.D., �This is a known medical condition called hematidrosis.�  He later acknowledges that tremendous stress like the kind that Jesus suffered could have produced this effect. 

Second, Jesus� desire, while on the cross, to receive a drink confirms the fact that he likely was experiencing another known medical condition called hypovolemic shock, which would have been caused by his beating. According to Metherell, hypovolemic schock �. . . does four things. First, the heart races to try to pump blood that isn�t there; second, the blood pressure drops, causing fainting or collapse; third, the kidneys stop producing urine to maintain what volume is left; and fourth, the person becomes very thirsty as the body craves fluids to replace the lost blood volume.�

Third, the evidence from the spear thrust confirms the idea that Jesus did indeed die on the cross.  Concerning this Matherell states that hypovolemic shock causes a rapid heart beat which results in fluid around the heart called a pericardial effusion.  The Gospel of John testifies to this fact in John 19:34 which says, �. . . one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water.� Metherell continues, �The spear apparently went through the right lung and into the heart, so when the spear was pulled out, some fluid � the pericardial effusion and the pleural effusion � came out.  This would have the appearance of a clear fluid like water.� Therefore, given the above specific medical evidence, the Journal of the American Medical Association is justified to conclude, �. . . interpretations based on the assumption that Jesus did not die on the cross appear to be at odds with modern medical knowledge.�

I don't know why you are still having a hard time understanding this issue.  Muslims don't deny that a crucifixion occurred at the hands of the Romans!  What we believe is that the unbelievers boasted that they had killed Jesus, but in reality, the man they had crucified was not Jesus but someone else. 

And as for your cut and paste "evidence", I have already discussed the contradictory "eyewitness" accounts of the crucifixion on my blog.  Did you even bother to read the articles?  Contradictory "eyewitness" testimony would lead a to mistrial in a court, so why on earth would anyone believe the contradictory Gospels?  Confused 
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

kometa2 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kometa2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2014 at 8:57am
So you deny what Jesus said about Himself. It is Jesus who said that He died on the cross.Which then means He DID die on the cross since Jesus never lied or sinned. Never
and the old testament prophecied Jesus will die on the cross - which happened hundreds of years later and history PROVES Jesus died on the cross.
So what is there to not understand about it?
Jesus said it and that settles the whole issue. Sinless Jesus said it. So that makes it true. Jesus died on the cross 600 years before islam came to existance and denies it.
Wjat is more. on the cross when Jesus was hanging and suffering He talked to His own mother and to His beloved apostle (John). would the closes persons not RECIGNIZE Jesus hangng on the cross? so how can anybody say it was somebody else who died in stead of Jesus?
tat is nonsense.
Facts are that it was Jesus who died on the cross. There is so many witnesses to that historical event and it is a historical fact, proven and recorded by many.

Historians say it is an indisputable issue. Unquestionable.
But what makes it really indisputable and unquiestionable is Jesus's words. That is more than enough what Jesus said. No other witnesses are needed because Jesus is God who never lied or sinned.
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2014 at 5:46pm

Wjat is more. on the cross when Jesus was hanging and suffering He talked to His own mother and to His beloved apostle (John). would the closes persons not RECIGNIZE Jesus hangng on the cross? so how can anybody say it was somebody else who died in stead of Jesus?
tat is nonsense.
Facts are that it was Jesus who died on the cross. There is so many witnesses to that historical event and it is a historical fact, proven and recorded by many.

Greetings kometa,

fabrications, pure and simple... that came about no doubt, to try and understand the things which Muhammad had said.
I imagine people were hard put to find reasons why they should be opposed to the Christians.
The things Muhammad had to say weren't exactly clear cut, especially since he was always changing what he had to say.
What the qur'an actually says is that,
'to the Jews it was made to seem that they had killed Him'
because the Jews I am sure took the credit for the death of Yshwe, though it was God's own choice... pre-ordained, and done at the hands of the Romans.

asalaam,
CH
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2014 at 7:46pm

So you deny what Jesus said about Himself. It is Jesus who said that He died on the cross.Which then means He DID die on the cross since Jesus never lied or sinned. Never
and the old testament prophecied Jesus will die on the cross - which happened hundreds of years later and history PROVES Jesus died on the cross.
So what is there to not understand about it?
Jesus said it and that settles the whole issue. Sinless Jesus said it. So that makes it true. Jesus died on the cross 600 years before islam came to existance and denies it.
tat is nonsense.

But what makes it really indisputable and unquiestionable is Jesus's words. That is more than enough what Jesus said. No other witnesses are needed because Jesus is God who never lied or sinned.

You're still not getting it!  Your entire premise is based on the Gospels, which as I already showed, are unreliable as "eyewitness" accounts.  One Gospel says one thing and another Gospel says another thing.  According to one Gospel, the "women" saw the crucifixion from far away, so how could Jesus speak to his mother? Confused       

Oh and as for your ridiculous claim that the "Old Testament" prophesied that Jesus would die on the cross, I would say that anyone who has ever actually read the Old Testament would know that no such prophesies exist.  It is a Christian invention.  The Old Testament spoke of a victorious Messiah, not a crucified Messiah.  And the Old Testament never stated that the Messiah would have a "second coming".  Perhaps you can show me just one prophecy from the Old Testament which says that the Messiah would be crucified and then would return a second time.  I asked "caringheart" for this, but she couldn't provide what I asked for, so now I am asking you. 

Edited by islamispeace - 30 September 2014 at 7:50pm
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2014 at 9:13pm
Isaiah (the Lord hath led me to this tonightSmile)

Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the Lord revealed?

For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.

And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.

10 Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in his hand.

11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

After the death and resurrection of Yshwe the meaning of this prophesy was clear to all the Apostles.  (Hidden in the old[testament], revealed in the new[testament])

Perhaps this will make it clearer.   Some notes I took a few days ago.

Ever since Adam and Eve were expelled from the garden, every human endeavor has been a mixture of good and evil.
Every human being has effectively eaten of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

The special prophesy of Genesis 3:15 foretold that a child born of woman would have his heel struck by the serpent but would crush the serpent's head.
This is the earliest prophecy in scripture of the Messiah - first being killed (His stricken heel) but then ultimately defeating satan.
The story of the prophecy starts at the beginning of the book, and it spans the length of the scriptures.  So let's go to the end of the book to see how the story ends.
Revelation - the book of inspired visions as given to John
It tells of a time when all humanity will be spiraling out of control.
This will be a time of great escalating wars,
disease epidemics,
earthquakes,
and devastating natural disasters.
Can any of us deny that that time is now?
Satan will then unleash his hatred on mankind.
Isn't this what we are seeing right now in the middle east?  ISIS?

asalaam and blessings,

Caringheart

Edited by Caringheart - 30 September 2014 at 9:17pm
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2014 at 11:32pm
also, read Psalm 22

Pretty much all of the scriptures are drawn from the Psalms.

the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.

17 I may tell all my bones: they look and stare upon me.

18 They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.

The crucifixion of Yshwe was foretold approximately 1,000 years before Christ was born, long before this method of execution was even practiced.

Edited by Caringheart - 30 September 2014 at 11:56pm
Blessed be God forever
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2014 at 7:32am
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

Isaiah (the Lord hath led me to this tonightSmile)

Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the Lord revealed?

For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.

And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.

10 Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in his hand.

11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

After the death and resurrection of Yshwe the meaning of this prophesy was clear to all the Apostles.  (Hidden in the old[testament], revealed in the new[testament])

Perhaps this will make it clearer.   Some notes I took a few days ago.

Ever since Adam and Eve were expelled from the garden, every human endeavor has been a mixture of good and evil.
Every human being has effectively eaten of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

The special prophesy of Genesis 3:15 foretold that a child born of woman would have his heel struck by the serpent but would crush the serpent's head.
This is the earliest prophecy in scripture of the Messiah - first being killed (His stricken heel) but then ultimately defeating satan.
The story of the prophecy starts at the beginning of the book, and it spans the length of the scriptures.  So let's go to the end of the book to see how the story ends.
Revelation - the book of inspired visions as given to John
It tells of a time when all humanity will be spiraling out of control.
This will be a time of great escalating wars,
disease epidemics,
earthquakes,
and devastating natural disasters.
Can any of us deny that that time is now?
Satan will then unleash his hatred on mankind.
Isn't this what we are seeing right now in the middle east?  ISIS?

asalaam and blessings,

Caringheart

LOL I have heard this argument many times from Christians.  It seems none of you have actually ever read these passages in their context.  You simply repeat what you hear from other Christians.  Are you sure that it was the "Lord" that led you to this, "caringheart"?  More likely, it was the devil that led you.  Wink

It amazes me that Christians don't seem to realize the obvious difficulty of linking Isaiah 53 with the Gospel story of the crucifixion.  It never even mentions the Messiah!  Not once! 

So, who is the "servant" mentioned?  Well, when we read the book of Isaiah, we see that the word is consistently used with regard to the nation of Israel itself.  Case in point:

"He said to me, �You are my servant, Israel, in whom I will display my splendor.�"

Further proof is found in the passage that you quoted yourself!  Isaiah 53:10 states:

Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in his hand.

Obviously, this cannot be referring to Jesus (peace be upon him) because he had no seed, unless Christians are willing to admit that Jesus may have married and had children.

Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2014 at 7:40am
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

also, read Psalm 22

Pretty much all of the scriptures are drawn from the Psalms.

the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.

17 I may tell all my bones: they look and stare upon me.

18 They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.

The crucifixion of Yshwe was foretold approximately 1,000 years before Christ was born, long before this method of execution was even practiced.

I have heard this argument before as well.  It is just another case of taking one particular passage out of context.  When read in context, it will be seen that the verse is part of a long prayer made by the psalmist (identified as David).  He is praying to God to rescue him from his enemies.  In fact, the very next passage is a prayer to God to "deliver me from the sword":

But you, Lord, do not be far from me.
    You are my strength; come quickly to help me.
20 Deliver me from the sword,
    my precious life from the power of the dogs.
21 Rescue me from the mouth of the lions;
    save me from the horns of the wild oxen.

Now, if "piercing" of hands and feet is somehow conflated as a reference to crucifixion, then why does the psalm mention the "sword".  Why doesn't it say "deliver me from the cross"? 

Christians are only fooling themselves by buying into these misquotes.  Motivated by false hope, they deceive themselves.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
  Share Topic