IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Beware of scholars  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Beware of scholars

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2014 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by islamispeace islamispeace wrote:

The point that brother Muslim75 was making was that Muslims should be careful not to blindly accept the opinions of "scholars".

That is precisely the principle I am applying to the Quran, being careful not to blindly accept the opinions of "scholars" regarding its authenticity.  Seems perfectly on topic to me.

Your response, that the Quran authenticates itself, was both off-topic and circular.
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2014 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

Originally posted by islamispeace islamispeace wrote:

The point that brother Muslim75 was making was that Muslims should be careful not to blindly accept the opinions of "scholars".

That is precisely the principle I am applying to the Quran, being careful not to blindly accept the opinions of "scholars" regarding its authenticity.  Seems perfectly on topic to me.

Your response, that the Quran authenticates itself, was both off-topic and circular.

Still not getting it? Shocked I wasn't arguing that the Quran "authenticates itself"!  I was responding to your post by pointing out that you don't need a scholar to tell you what the Quran says.  It is not scholars who say that the Quran is the Word of God.  The Quran says so itself.  Whether that is true or not is a different matter.  Moreover, in my opinion, when one studies the Quran, the only logical conclusion is that it is indeed the Word of God.  But again, that is a different matter, completely unrelated to this thread which doesn't even concern atheist clowns. 

Have you read any of the books I suggested? 
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Muslim75 View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muslim75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2014 at 5:39am
This thread has the purpose to warn about great evil. People may like evil. That is up to them. Wahhabism is all over the Muslim world. It is up to the Muslims to choose their sides.
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2014 at 5:13pm
Interestingly, according to Wikipedia, wahhabism "aspires to return to the earliest fundamental Islamic sources of the Quran and Hadith, rejecting traditional Islamic legal scholarship beyond the first three generations of Muslims as an unnecessary innovation."

It seems that one of the founding principles of Wahhabism is to "beware of scholars". Smile
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2014 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

Interestingly, according to Wikipedia, wahhabism "aspires to return to the earliest fundamental Islamic sources of the Quran and Hadith, rejecting traditional Islamic legal scholarship beyond the first three generations of Muslims as an unnecessary innovation."

It seems that one of the founding principles of Wahhabism is to "beware of scholars". Smile

You highlighted the wrong part.  I fixed it for you.  Wink

Now of course, I disagree with the Wahhabis.  There were many great scholars even beyond the first three generations, but obviously, they cannot replace the Sahabah and the Tabiun.

Your reading skills certainly haven't improved.  I guess that means that you haven't read any of the books I suggested, eh?

Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2014 at 3:21am
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

Thank you Muslim75 for these thoughts.
I recently watched a program on how Hitler got some of the best known scholars to re-write the history of the Aryan people so that it suited, and in the end served, his own, evil, purposes.
Yes, people who hold power can control people to say anything they want said.

asalaam.

I couldn't agree more. We should remain skeptical our whole life and use our mind to think things through. Both the Bible and the Quran encourage the frequent use of the human mind seeking new knowledge.

The heart of him who has understanding seeks knowledge, but the mouths of fools feed on folly. Desire without knowledge is not good, and whoever makes haste with his feet misses his way.  Acquire knowledge even if you may have to go to China for it.

A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
Muslim75 View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muslim75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2014 at 1:03pm
This thread serves the purpose to warn about some very great evil that is happening, directly or indirectly, because of those corrupt scholars. It is about great evil, of the spiritual kind or otherwise.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic