IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Sharia  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sharia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sharia
    Posted: 18 August 2014 at 11:43am
Forgive me if this applies only  to shia.  I do not know, Do Sunni's believe in sharia form of law?

My question:
Where does sharia come from?  Is it in the qur'an?  Or is this a creation of man?

Shukran and salaam.
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2014 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

Forgive me if this applies only  to shia.  I do not know, Do Sunni's believe in sharia form of law?

My question:
Where does sharia come from?  Is it in the qur'an?  Or is this a creation of man?

Shukran and salaam.

Of course Sunnis believe in Sharia law.  Sharia is derived from the Quran and the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him).  It covers a multitude of subjects, like criminal law, family law, inheritance, marriage and divorce and of course religious practice (prayer, fasting, charity, Hajj etc.)
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2014 at 12:10pm
Greetings islamispeace,

But does the qur'an specifically lay out sharia, as supposedly Moses did in the Torah?  (the books of Deuteronomy and Leviticus)
Does the qur'an anywhere state a sharia that must be followed,
or, as you say,
did man derive his own ideas and law?

asalaam.
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2014 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

Greetings islamispeace,

But does the qur'an specifically lay out sharia, as supposedly Moses did in the Torah?  (the books of Deuteronomy and Leviticus)
Does the qur'an anywhere state a sharia that must be followed,
or, as you say,
did man derive his own ideas and law?

asalaam.

Did you not read what I wrote?  Confused  Where did I say that "man derived his own ideas and laws"?  I said that Sharia is derived from the Quran and Sunnah.  In other words, the laws of Islam are found in those two sources.  The Quran states:

"Now then, for that (reason), call (them to the Faith), and stand steadfast as thou art commanded, nor follow thou their vain desires; but say: "I believe in the Book which Allah has sent down; and I am commanded to judge justly between you. Allah is our Lord and your Lord: for us (is the responsibility for) our deeds, and for you for your deeds. There is no contention between us and you. Allah will bring us together, and to Him is (our) Final Goal." (Surah As-Shuara, 42:15)   

The Quran is also referred to as the "Criterion":

"It is He Who sent down to thee (step by step), in truth, the Book, confirming what went before it; and He sent down the Law (of Moses) and the Gospel (of Jesus) before this, as a guide to mankind, and He sent down the criterion (of judgment between right and wrong)." (Surah Al-Imran, 3:3)

Finally, the Quran states that Muslims are to  follow the teachings of Muhammad (peace be upon him):

"Those who follow the messenger, the unlettered Prophet, whom they find mentioned in their own (scriptures),- in the law and the Gospel;- for he commands them what is just and forbids them what is evil; he allows them as lawful what is good (and pure) and prohibits them from what is bad (and impure); He releases them from their heavy burdens and from the yokes that are upon them. So it is those who believe in him, honour him, help him, and follow the light which is sent down with him,- it is they who will prosper.  Say: "O men! I am sent unto you all, as the Messenger of Allah, to Whom belongeth the dominion of the heavens and the earth: there is no god but He: it is He That giveth both life and death. So believe in Allah and His Messenger, the Unlettered Prophet, who believeth in Allah and His words: follow him that (so) ye may be guided." (Surah Al-Araf, 7:157-158)
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic