IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Science & Technology
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Muslim Mathematician, 1st Woman ever to..  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Muslim Mathematician, 1st Woman ever to..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kodoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muslim Mathematician, 1st Woman ever to..
    Posted: 18 August 2014 at 3:32am
Iranian Mathematician Becomes First Woman in the World To Ever Receive The Fields Medal

Mathematician Maryam Mizrakhani, originally from Iran and now at Stanford, is one of four winners of this year�s Fields Medal � and the first woman to ever receive the award. The Fields Medal is generally considered the most prestigious professional award in mathematics.

A native of Iran, Maryam Mirzakhani is at Stanford University in California. She won for her work on �the dynamics and geometry of Riemann surfaces and their moduli spaces.�

�Perhaps Maryam�s most important achievement is her work on dynamics,� says Curtis McMullen of Harvard University. Many natural problems in dynamics, such as the three-body problem of celestial mechanics (for example, interactions of the Sun, the Moon and Earth), have no exact mathematical solution. Mirzakhani found that in dynamical systems evolving in ways that twist and stretch their shape, the systems� trajectories �are tightly constrained to follow algebraic laws�, says McMullen.

He adds that Mirzakhani�s achievements �combine superb problem-solving ability, ambitious mathematical vision and fluency in many disciplines, which is unusual in the modern era, when considerable specialization is often required to reach the frontier�.

Also, please see: http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2014/08/13/375108/iranian-woman-wins-fields-medal/

Iranian President Congratulaters her:

Rouhani praises Prof. Mirzakhani, winner of Fields Medal

Iran�s president has praised Professor Maryam Mirzakhani, who has become the first woman to win the prestigious Fields Medal, also known as the �Nobel Prize of mathematics.�

In a message President Hassan Rouhani congratulated her on winning the world�s topmost award in the field of mathematics.

President Rouhani said that �today, Iranians can justly feel proud that the first woman to win the Fields Medal is their fellow citizen; yes, the most competent should verily sit at the highest position and enjoy respect,� noted he and that �on behalf of the Iranian nation, I value your scientific endeavors and all Iranians across the globe are the county�s national asset,� Press TV reported Thursday.

Maryam Mirzakhani of Stanford University, California, received the Fields medal Wednesday at the International Congress of Mathematicians in Seoul, South Korea.

The medal is awarded once every four years to at most four recipients, who must be aged fewer than 40 at the start of that year. All the previous 52 Fields medalists, dating back to 1936, have been male.

Born in 1977 in Tehran, Mirzakhani got her bachelor�s in math from Iran�s prestigious Sharif University of Technology in 1999 and received her master�s as well as PhD degrees from Harvard University in the United States in 2004.

She studies the geometry of moduli space, a complex geometric and algebraic entity that might be described as a universe in which every point is itself a universe. Mirzakhani described the number of ways a beam of light can travel a closed loop in a two-dimensional universe. To answer the question, it turns out, you cannot just stay in your "home" universe � you have to understand how to navigate the entire multiverse. Mirzakhani has shown mathematicians new ways to navigate these spaces.

Mirzakhani first attracted international attention as a high-school student in 1995, when she was the first Iranian student to achieve a perfect score in the International Mathematics Olympiad.

The three other winners are Brazilian-born Artur Avila of Denis Diderot University in Paris, France, who studies how chaotic systems evolve when constrained by certain rules; Manjul Bhargava, a number theorist at Princeton University; and Martin Hairer, an expert in partial differential equations at the University of Warwick, UK.

http://en.mehrnews.com/detail/News/103644
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2014 at 1:09pm
Maryam Mirzakhani is the first woman to ever win the Fields Medal � known as the "Nobel Prize of mathematics"
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
laetitia View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laetitia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2014 at 4:45pm
This woman is very intelligent. Sorry for my english,it's bad.
I'm laetitia, i'm from france, and i'm 29 years.
I like this forum because there "science and technologie".
I love the science and religion islam, i'm muslima now.
I don't know write well english but i understand when it's write.
Sorry for my english. See you later.
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2014 at 3:32am
Here comes a more updated interview and picture of her:
Maryam Mirzakhani

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 29 August 2014 at 3:37am
Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2014 at 12:39pm
If she has solved the 3 body problem she definitely deserves all the praise the whole world of maths has for her.

It's been confounding maths and physics for a very long time.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic