IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reviews - Media > Books, Newspapers & Magazines
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Lord of the Rings  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lord of the Rings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lord of the Rings
    Posted: 20 November 2005 at 9:20am

I grew up reading these books years ago.  I could never have imagined them as clearly as the movies.  I was eager to see the movies, and I liked them because they were something I was familiar with, I guess.

Now, I noticed something after awhile, which amazes me as to how blind I was before.  How could I not have seen it? All the good guys are white, and all the bad guys are black.  There are no good-guy humans, hobbits, elves or dwarves who are black.  The dwarves are swarthy, and the least well-mannered of the good guys.  (I don't think the tree-people, Ents, count though they are dark brown.)  What do you think?

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
ak_m_f View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ak_m_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2005 at 10:56am

did God ever made any prophet black?
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2005 at 11:00am

Assalamu alaikum,

Ah, herjihad, glad you see it too!  I think, however, it (the books themselves) can be blamed on the fact that the author J.R.R. Tolkien grew up in such times (you know, before people of colour were considered human beings by the British).

As for the movies, I can only come to the conclusion that Peter Jackson must be a racist.  What other conclusion is there?

Myself, I think he missed the boat in not casting Morgan Freeman as Gandalf - I think he would have been supurb in that role!  The movies certainly would have been more true to life and more palatable had there been some hobbits, elves and men of colour.  Sad........

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2005 at 11:04am

Assalam alaikum,

As for your comment ak_m_f, I don't recall any story where a prophet was turned black....

I think you mean, were there ever any black prophets?

Of the prophets mentioned in the Qur'an, most are from the Middle East and environs, so they would have all been, at the very least, brown (or darker).  As for the hundreds of prophets not mentioned in the Qur'an - Allahu alam!

Peace, ummziba.

Edited by ummziba
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2005 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by ummziba ummziba wrote:

As for the movies, I can only come to the conclusion that Peter Jackson must be a racist.  What other conclusion is there?

oh maybe Peter was reflecting the book, afterall the movie is the moving adaption of the books, it is Tolkins' creation Not Peter Jackson's!   

Quote Myself, I think he missed the boat in not casting Morgan Freeman as Gandalf - I think he would have been supurb in that role!  The movies certainly would have been more true to life and more palatable had there been some hobbits, elves and men of colour.  Sad........

Peace, ummziba.

It's just a fantasy story!

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Dayem View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2005 at 2:56am

Originally posted by Herjihad Herjihad wrote:

Now, I noticed something after awhile, which amazes me as to how blind I was before.  How could I not have seen it? All the good guys are white, and all the bad guys are black.  There are no good-guy humans, hobbits, elves or dwarves who are black.  The dwarves are swarthy, and the least well-mannered of the good guys.  (I don't think the tree-people, Ents, count though they are dark brown.)  What do you think?

I dont get it, why r u blaming Lord of the Rings only?

Isnt that the truth, all the good looking-handsome men are Hero in each and every film?

Ohk, if my memory serves me right then Saruman-or whatever his name-who was friend of wizard gandalf, is shown white.(he is a villian, agree?)

Regards,Dayem.

"the mooslims! they're heeere!"
LOONWATCH.COM
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2005 at 3:26am

Bismillah,

That's true.  He was a good guy gone bad.  Of course, one of the heros could have been cast as a handsome black or chinese man.  One of the groups of people could also have been cast as a different race than white.  But they weren't. 

I just know that I liked the books and movies as a classic struggle of good against evil.  I just don't like the feeling that the good has to be white and the evil mostly black.  It's just a feeling I got after watching the movies, and after quite a while after I had seen them.  Of course, the Nation of Islam would have to cast the colors of the characters opposite, wouldn't they, since they believe white people are created by the devil?

I'm just thinking outloud.  So you don't see that at all, Dayem?

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
kenski70 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenski70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2005 at 10:38am
the bad guys weren't even human!!!next you will be babbling that Spielberg is a racist because the are no blacks in "Saving private Ryan"Spielberg wanted that movie to be as realistic as it could be even down to the division patches.the US didn't start integrating its forces until the 50's.so there were no blacks at Normandy.and none in middle earth either sorry
Sorry about that turn signal,I must have fallen asleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic