IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Science & Technology
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Flat Earth and the Geocentric Universe  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flat Earth and the Geocentric Universe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2014 at 4:09pm
I believe God created humanity. I believe everything that is natural came from something else, nothing came out of nothingness. God transcends our nature, so it would make sense that Someone who is eternal and beyond our comprehension would create the natural world.

If you do not believe in God's existence, then where did life come from? Where did the natural world come from?

schmikbob View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schmikbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2014 at 4:31pm
I'll try again, not knowing where the natural world started or it's origin point does not equate to knowing that it came from God. Your believing it doesn't make it so. Evidence would be a good place to start.
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2014 at 4:35pm
TG12345
Quote If you do not believe in God's existence, then where did life come from? Where did the natural world come from?
May I ask you where god comes from ?

Airmano
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2014 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by TG12345 TG12345 wrote:

I believe God created humanity. I believe everything that is natural came from something else, nothing came out of nothingness. God transcends our nature, so it would make sense that Someone who is eternal and beyond our comprehension would create the natural world.

If you do not believe in God's existence, then where did life come from? Where did the natural world come from?

If God is beyond our comprehension, then saying that the natural world came from God is equivalent to saying that where the natural world came from is beyond our comprehension.

God is not an explanation for anything.  It is an admission of ignorance, and there is no shame in that; but it is also a declaration that no further explanation is required or should be sought, which is a capitulation to ignorance -- and that is shameful.

Edited by Ron Webb - 07 June 2014 at 10:14pm
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2014 at 3:41am
Originally posted by schmikbob schmikbob wrote:

It leads to believing things that simply make us feel better, like dealing with the fear of death and mortality. As humans we have an inborn fear of death and dying so we have created religion and God to answer those fears.

Actually Muslims do not fear death, they welcome it, because it gives a chance for the Muslim to spend eternity with his Creator if He has Mercy makes one a resident of Paradise.

You'd like to think so because your mind cannot grasp the reality that God Almighty created everything and He sends revelations to mankind when they err and to explain the order of things.

But I submit that believing is just that a belief. But having said that if you are looking for evidence then it's all around us. For example, this universe we live in.
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2014 at 4:03am
OK now I'm going to be real controversial here.

In the Qur'an verse 18:47 tells us that the mountains will be removed on the last day and the earth will become a level plain or prominent. This makes sense if the earth is flat. On Judgment Day every human being will stand in rows in front of God Almighty.

It is a bit silly if they all stand on a globe doesn't it?

Muhsin Khan

And (remember) the Day We shall cause the mountains to pass away (like clouds of dust), and you will see the earth as a levelled plain, and we shall gather them all together so as to leave not one of them behind. 18:47

Also I don't believe in gravity. It's just a made up word and sounds good to explain things we don't understand. All small object will be 'attracted' to a bigger entity, so every small thing will fall towards the big object.

Consider the following verse from the Qur'an 16:79

Sahih International

Do they not see the birds controlled in the atmosphere of the sky? None holds them up except Allah . Indeed in that are signs for a people who believe. 16:79

Tasfir

تفسير Tafsir al-Jalalayn
{ أَلَمْ يَرَوْاْ إِلَىٰ ٱلطَّيْرِ مُسَخَّرَٰتٍ فِي جَوِّ ٱلسَّمَآءِ مَا يُمْسِكُهُنَّ إِلاَّ ٱللَّهُ إِنَّ فِي ذٰلِكَ لأَيٰتٍ لِّقَوْمٍ يُؤْمِنُونَ }

Have they not observed the birds [how they are] made subservient,
disposed to [be able to] fly, in the air of heaven?, that is,
 in the air between the heaven and the earth. Nothing holds them,
 when they draw in their wings or open them, lest they fall, except God,
 by His power. Indeed in that there are signs for a people who believe,
[the signs] which are that they have been created in a way that enables
 them to fly, as well as the creation of the air in such a way that it allows for flight, and the holding of them [up in the air so that they do not fall].

If you've ever looked at a bird closely then you would have seen that the wings of the birds are just feathers. They do not have the strength to carry the body weight of these birds. It is only by Allah Subhana Wa Ta'alas Will that they fly.
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2014 at 4:07am
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

Originally posted by Abu Loren Abu Loren wrote:

Verse 51:48 simply means that the earth is spacious and not flat as per your understanding which is wrong.

Every translation I've read says "spread" or "spread out".

Quote As for 18:86 it is not literal, I'll let you figure it out.

Why just that particular verse?  Imagine if everything in the Quran was not literal.

Quote You've just proven that you don't understand a word of the Qur'an.

I know the difference between spread out flat and rolled up in a ball.

You have to read the Qur'an in context otherwise you just cannot understand it.
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2014 at 4:14am
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

If God is beyond our comprehension, then saying that the natural world came from God is equivalent to saying that where the natural world came from is beyond our comprehension.

God is not an explanation for anything.  It is an admission of ignorance, and there is no shame in that; but it is also a declaration that no further explanation is required or should be sought, which is a capitulation to ignorance -- and that is shameful.

I really feel sorry for you. God Almighty is not beyond our comprehension because we have His revelations which tells us Who He is and what He wants. Understanding this, then it is very easy to see that He made the natural world for us.

Our Universe is in perfect harmony because He wills it.

Consider this scenario.

You are happily swimming in the sea and your family is happily playing at the sea shore. Suddenly there is a 100 feet wave coming towards you without any warning.

This is what happens in a chaotic world. Consider also the calmness of the sea and the shore line where the sea does not transgress. It is all in perfect harmony, otherwise life would be impossible in this planet.

Let me also add this while we are on this subject.

I believe that you would not be able to find another 'earth like' planet anywhere. This is because planet earth is special as it is the one we have been granted by Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala. Thus life would also be hard to find outside our Solar System.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
  Share Topic