IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Science & Technology
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Flat Earth and the Geocentric Universe  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flat Earth and the Geocentric Universe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flat Earth and the Geocentric Universe
    Posted: 06 June 2014 at 3:27am
I am a simpleton when it comes to science, however I am now becoming more convinced by the argument for flat earth and geocentric universe.

From a religious point of view this makes sense to me as it comforts me to believe that God Almighty made the Earth for us and the Universe revolves around us (Earth).

Imagine if everything we've been taught at school was wrong or even a deliberate lie. If so then we need to re-define our own world.

The following verses from the Qur'an spring to mind.

Sahih International

And it is He who created the night and the day and the sun and the moon; all [heavenly bodies] in an orbit are swimming. 21:33

It is not allowable for the sun to reach the moon, nor does the night overtake the day, but each, in an orbit, is swimming. 30:40

Edited by Abu Loren - 06 June 2014 at 3:29am
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2014 at 4:28am
You're not alone: Flat_Earth
Quote Imagine if everything we've been taught at school was wrong or even a deliberate lie.
Can you imagine the same concerning the Quran ?

Airmano

BTW: The verse 30:40 you quote is in reality 36:40

Edited by airmano - 06 June 2014 at 9:06am
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2014 at 4:36am
Originally posted by Abu Loren Abu Loren wrote:

Imagine if everything we've been taught at school was wrong or even a deliberate lie.

Imagine if everything you've been taught in the mosque was wrong or even a deliberate lie.

"And the earth, We have made it a wide extent; how well have We then spread (it) out." (51:48)
"Until when he reached the place where the sun set, he found it going down into a black sea..." (18:86)

For a few thousand dollars you can travel around the world and see for yourself that the earth is a sphere, not "spread out" (i.e. flat); and that there is no "black sea" into which the sun sets.
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2014 at 4:50am

I am a simpleton when it comes to science, however I am now becoming more convinced by the argument for flat earth and geocentric universe.

From a religious point of view this makes sense to me as it comforts me to believe that God Almighty made the Earth for us and the Universe revolves around us (Earth).

Imagine if everything we've been taught at school was wrong or even a deliberate lie. If so then we need to re-define our own world.

Sahih International

And it is He who created the night and the day and the sun and the moon; all [heavenly bodies] in an orbit are swimming. 21:33

It is not allowable for the sun to reach the moon, nor does the night overtake the day, but each, in an orbit, is swimming. 30:40

How would a flat earth and a geocentric universe bring comfort to you as a Muslim? How would the two verses you posted support your position?
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2014 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

Imagine if everything we've been taught at school was wrong or even a deliberate lie.

Imagine if everything you've been taught in the mosque was wrong or even a deliberate lie.

"And the earth, We have made it a wide extent; how well have We then spread (it) out." (51:48)
"Until when he reached the place where the sun set, he found it going down into a black sea..." (18:86)

For a few thousand dollars you can travel around the world and see for yourself that the earth is a sphere, not "spread out" (i.e. flat); and that there is no "black sea" into which the sun sets.

Verse 51:48 simply means that the earth is spacious and not flat as per your understanding which is wrong.

As for 18:86 it is not literal, I'll let you figure it out.

You've just proven that you don't understand a word of the Qur'an.

Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2014 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by TG12345 TG12345 wrote:

Sahih International

How would a flat earth and a geocentric universe bring comfort to you as a Muslim? How would the two verses you posted support your position?

Just a personal preference. I'd like to think that the earth is the centre of the universe and that everything else revolves around us. Thus making us and the earth special.

As a Christian you must know that for centuries Christians have believed that the earth is flat and the universe revolves around it.

I quoted the above two verses from the Qura'n because it tells me that everything else but the earth is swimming meaning moving and the earth is stationary.

Edited by Abu Loren - 06 June 2014 at 12:43pm
schmikbob View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schmikbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2014 at 3:56pm
Wow, Abu Loren, you are not going done this road for real are you? You are speaking metaphorically of course.
TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2014 at 8:24pm

Sahih International

Originally posted by TG12345 TG12345 wrote:

Just a personal preference. I'd like to think that the earth is the centre of the universe and that everything else revolves around us. Thus making us and the earth special.

I see. You are stating your personal view though, and not what the Quran teaches. Would that be a correct understanding?

As a Christian you must know that for centuries Christians have believed that the earth is flat and the universe revolves around it.

Many not only believed that, but some also killed people for believing differently. I don't believe that those who falsely believed such ideas were non-believers, but those who murdered others for not agreeing certainly were, even if they believed themselves to be followers of Christ.

I quoted the above two verses from the Qura'n because it tells me that everything else but the earth is swimming meaning moving and the earth is stationary.

I just read the two verses. The say that the sun, moon, other things in space move around the earth. I don't see them stating that the earth is stationary. I don't see any verse that says that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
  Share Topic