IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Science & Technology
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Flat Earth and the Geocentric Universe  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flat Earth and the Geocentric Universe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2014 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by schmikbob schmikbob wrote:

Wow, I've been gone for a week and I come back to find all this forum space wasted trying to convince someone without the barest understanding of knowledge that he should at least look at evidence. Give it up. Don't confuse him with the facts. He's not interested.

Or as they say, you can't reason a person out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

True, but I never write my replies with the expectation of changing the mind of the person who I am addressing.  I am hopeful only of influencing any open-minded person who might be reading the discussion.

Plus I take a perverse pleasure in seeing just how far down the rabbit hole some people will go...LOL

Edited by Ron Webb - 23 June 2014 at 4:57pm
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2014 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by Abu Loren Abu Loren wrote:

schukbob you seem to be a man of reason so can you explain the Sydney to London journey?

You asked essentially the same question couple of weeks ago, and I answered it.  I suggest you go back and reread my answer (or read it for the first time, more likely).  Just substitute airplanes for cannonballs, and adjust the speeds a bit.  Same thing.
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2014 at 3:27am
Originally posted by schmikbob schmikbob wrote:

Wow, I've been gone for a week and I come back to find all this forum space wasted trying to convince someone without the barest understanding of knowledge that he should at least look at evidence. Give it up. Don't confuse him with the facts. He's not interested.

LOL

schukbob you seem to be a man of reason so can you explain the Sydney to London journey?
schmikbob View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schmikbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2014 at 8:55pm
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2014 at 8:03am
Originally posted by Abu Loren Abu Loren wrote:

I don't see your point. The Sun IS a Scientific miracle of the Qur'an. It is not powered by nuclear fission or fusion or any such nonsense.

"Scientific miracle" is an oxymoron, a self-contradiction.  If the sun is not powered by fusion then where are all those solar neutrinos coming from?

Quote Explain this to me.

The time it takes for a flight from Sydney, Australia to London, England is exactly the same as a return flight.

Surely if the earth is rotating one of those journey's should be shorter?

Shorter relative to what?  Not relative to the earth, which is how we normally measure things.

The time it takes to walk from the front of the plane to the back is exactly the same as the time to walk from the back to the front.

Surely if the plane is moving one of those journeys should be shorter?
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2014 at 4:09am
Abu Loren
Quote Explain this to me.
With pleasure, but I need some indications, that you are also willing to follow.
So, could you please first answer my t = D/C question ?

Regards: Airmano

Ps: My posts take typically 1-3 days to get accepted by the moderator. So you have to be patient with (the speed of) my replies.

Edited by airmano - 22 June 2014 at 8:35am
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2014 at 3:47am
Originally posted by airmano airmano wrote:

Abu Loren:
Quote the Sun only give light to the earth. It is described as a lamp in the Qur'an. Even non Muslims are now coming to this idea. Search Youtube. :)

No, I won't search youtube for obviously pointless claims. B.T.W. your religious mate (Quranexplorer) takes exactly the "Lamp" statement as a "Scientific miracle of the Quran",
thus accepting implicitly the knowledge we have about the sun today. One of you two must obviously be wrong, although you both base your reasoning on the Quran.

Before we argue any further: I think I have to check on how far you are willing to follow any reasoning (outside the Quran).
If you take a car to drive from point A to point B (Distance D between the two), at a constant speed C would you agree that the time t it takes from A to be is:
t = D/C ? In words: The time it takes to go from A to B is proportional to the distance D (constant speed provided) or expressed in a less mathematical way: "The further away the longer it takes" or, reformulated: "The longer it takes the longer the distance" ? Can you agree on this statement ?

Last not least:
Quote I find it easier to believe the other side of the argument that the sun and moon are not millions of miles away and that they are not gigantic space entities but what we see when we look up is the actual of the Sun and Moon.
This is actually a common reasoning I find on the muslim side. However, the "truth" does not arise from things that are "easier to believe" neither from the idea of finding "more comfort" in a certain view of the world. The only objective way we have to decide on what is right or wrong is observation and measurement. Your behavior resembles kids closing their eyes hoping that they can't be seen this way.

Airmano

I don't see your point. The Sun IS a Scientific miracle of the Qur'an. It is not powered by nuclear fission or fusion or any such nonsense.

Explain this to me.

The time it takes for a flight from Sydney, Australia to London, England is exactly the same as a return flight.

Surely if the earth is rotating one of those journey's should be shorter?
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2014 at 6:17am
Virgin Galactic is expected to begin flights by the end of this year, but nobody ever said that it would simply wait in space for the earth to rotate.  That is sheer nonsense.   The energy required to hover for hours above the earth's atmosphere would be enormous.  It would be much cheaper and much faster just to fly there in an ordinary airplane.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
  Share Topic