IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New Muslim (nearly) Help  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Muslim (nearly) Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schap1901 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Muslim (nearly) Help
    Posted: 05 June 2014 at 1:55pm
Assalamu alaykoum! I am a 20 year old girl from Canada and I have recently discovered the beautiful religion of Islam! There are too many things to name that has brought me to this religion, one of them being the sense of community, which is why I feel comfortable asking these questions.
As being a student and living alone I don't have a lot of money, when i convert I hope to eventually wear hijab, although I cannot afford a new modest wardrobe. Does anyone know of any cheap sites or any other means?
This would mean a lot to me thank you very much and salam !
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2014 at 4:11am
Wa Alaikum Aslaam sis,

Dressing modestly for a woman can mean that you can still use the same clothes that you have as long as it covers you appropriately. I believe the Khimar the head dress is relatively cheap.

Alhamdulilah sis Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala is guiding you to His religion, only Islam is acceptable to Him.
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2014 at 12:10pm
BTW have you taken the Shahada?
fama View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2014 at 8:59am
Asalamualaikum,
welcome sister to Islam. May Allah help you ! Ameen
alexster2 View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexster2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 3:56am
Welcome Sis,
You can find good Muslim clothes by shopping at places that cater to women of size or women of a certain age.  "Swimsuit cover-ups" make fine blouses and scarves: just avoid rayon/modal because it is high maintenance and cheap-looking.  Remember that "ready-made" is a modern invention.  Be prepared to customize your purchases to your size with needle and thread, elastic, snaps, etc.  Know yourself.  Are you an urban sophisticate?  A down-home country girl?  Urban nomad?  A romantic?  Buy wisely: some thought should go into how you present yourself because dress is a form of communication.  All you need are a few good pieces, and you may find that you already have them. You may end up just giving away a lot of stuff that doesn't fit the bill.
mira View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2014 at 10:23pm
assalamu'alaykum
welcome in freedom fashion zone,
as muslima we should use clothes covering your body except face and palm of hand, and your khimar should covering/under your chest.
you don't have to following fashion hijab, because syar'i hijab more important .:-)
maybe one day if u visit Indonesia u can buy some khimar or abaya in here, many various and cheap :-)
alexster2 View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexster2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2014 at 5:30am
SA to all sisters,
i feel I did not express my point accurately.  i did not intend to say that the sister needs to follow "fashion". Taste, however, is important.  There is evidence that the Mothers of the Believers took care of their appearances without going out and making a spectacle of themselves or violating the tenets of the faith.  What I am trying to tell the sister is that she can stay true to herself, and actually have a smaller wardrobe of clothes, by keeping the clothing she already has that is modest and then buying a few judicious things to add to it so that she fulfills the requirements of the faith.
lady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2014 at 1:33pm
Salaam sister. I hope that you have the courage to wear hijab by the time you read this message. As far as your financial abilities to buy more Islamic clothes, it is not necessary to have a lot of clothes. You can just wear one outfit that hides your body shape. Then wash it that night and re wear it again the next day. Just keep it simple.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic