IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - veiling  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

veiling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2005 at 10:23am

I think there are two aspects to these threads:

1. Is Hijab a required part of the dress code for Moslem women?

1. The affects of society/peer pressure.

I cannot answer the first one. I am not scholar.  It seems that often folks are out to �prove a point�.  Assuming hijab is required, then one gets to the question of society and peer pressure.   Clearly that these types of decisions must come from the heart or what is the point?  If I do it to please others or to have people stop �harassing� me about it what good is that doing? I am not ultimately doing it for Allah.  I know what is inside of me. That is not for others to judge. If you are comfortable with it that is great, if another woman is not then so be it. The more people go on and on about it the less likely they will look to you for support.  And in your heart are you trying to help me or make yourself feel better?

For some people wearing hijab is a very difficult decision. It seems for many women.  Women need to help each other and leave the �judging� to Allah.  To feel it is our place to judge others is to infer that we are better then any other person. If so, one better pray that Allah agrees.  Humbleness is important.

I guess its like when I sometimes see someone I start putting them into a box in my mind.. even unconsciously. I work to stop this as people are not always neatly packaged.

True piety is ultimately in the heart.
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2005 at 6:04pm

If people here are interested in the discussion I had in the old forum with Nausheen mostly helping me and talk thru what is and what isn't, then I will bring it across to this forum, as soon as I figure out what is the best way

Anybody interested ?

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2005 at 8:09am

As Salamu Alaikum

Yes I would be interested with that discussion because like I pointed out before, at one stage of my life I strongly believed Hijab was not an obligation and today I believe the opposite.

Maybe we can get some good points, when we discussion this issue from your research. This is an issue that will go on till eternity.

Thanks

Salams

�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2005 at 4:46pm

Bismillah,

I agree that sisters in hijab or burqa should do what they think is right for them.  We are all human.  So what if they make a mistake Islamically in their hijab or burqa as opposed to me who doesn't wear that anymore?  Doesn't Allah, SWT, see us all for who we are and what we believe and what we are able to do and what we do or don't do? 

No, I absolutely don't think that hijabi sisters should be held to a higher or lower standard of behavior than non-hijabi ones, although I clearly understand your point of view.  People know that I am a Muslim woman and mom in my community.  So they would be surprised if they saw me at a bar, for example.  A movie probably wouldn't surprise them.  I went to one today with my kid, which is an odd thing, but it was a school assignment, and surprisingly, a great film for Muslims to watch called:  Good Night and Good Luck.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2005 at 6:12pm
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

Assalamu alaikum

You are corect herjihad Allah does see you for who you are but can you use that as an excuse not to pray 5 times a day or not fast no, so how does it apply to the hijab. Both remain commands of Allah, he only asks us to do something becouse it is for our own benefit.

The Hijab is important becouse it not only is for your benefit but for those of others, you are hiding your beauty from others which promotes the Quality of modesty in you and you dont have to face any tests or whispers from shaytan about vanity, for this Allah rewards you by strengthening your charachter and for following his command, this is on a personnel level. The hijab also stops men from staring at your beauty and you are not accountable for putting desire in a mans heart beyond what he is obliged to control himself with.

so you gain a double reward for your personnel obligation to Allah as well as not spreading fitnah with the power Allah gave you over men and both are done irespective of you noticing it, or effort on your part, since you dont know what is in peoples hearts and at what time you have done good by simply wearing it.

On the other hand if you are the cause of desire in a mans heart beyond what he is obliged to control himself then part of the blame is yours and you will see it on the day sister and this also is done without you noticing it as you do not know what is in a persons heart or what they think.

In reality the Hijab is a personnel obligation as well as a communal one.

Edited by rami
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2005 at 6:16pm

Rami, since you are a man and are not as vulnerable as a woman, I think your opinion does not mean as much. Yes Hijab is important but you cannot deny in a non muslim country it attracts more attention to a woman than not wearing it. Is this what you want your sisters to endure? Constant stares, remarks, questions, even harassment. Thanks brother, our brothers are allways ready to throw us under the bus!!!

You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2005 at 6:49pm
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

Jenni as your are not a scholar your opinion means nothing when it comes to what is haram and halal in islam, you are free to follow what you like just dont spread it to other people under the flag of islam, this is nothing but sexist bigotry.

The first generations of muslims endured more than a few stairs yet they kept to there faith and what allah commanded them to do.

Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2005 at 7:10pm
I am saying what is halal or haram and have never used those words, I also see the importance of wearing a hijab. I am stating a fact not an opinion. The fact is that I wore Hijab and felt constant stares, I was approched by Muslims and non Muslims who liked to ask me questions, since I am very white they are all curious.  I had people make comments and even someone follow me in the car with my kids. My husband travels so I am often alone with young kids. Now hear this Rami, if I move to a Muslim country I would love to wear a Chador. Even in my husbands homeland hardly any of his friends wives wear it and only one woman in his family. However I would love to wear it and feel good about it because it would fulfill its purpose and keep the native men(in pakistan) that have no idea what lowering thier gaze from staring at me so much and I would feel much more modest. I agree that hijab is an obligation, however I think there are exceptions for some of us sisters who are in situations where we don't feel safe. And I don't beleive I have to be a missionary and wear Hijab to advertise I am muslim and have people ask me lots of questions. Right now I am trying to raise good kids and keep my family safe. Maybe people like you can do the speaking and missionary work for us!!!!
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
  Share Topic