IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - veiling  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

veiling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote interested Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: veiling
    Posted: 09 November 2005 at 2:16pm
I have always been interested in the concept of veiling in Islam. Some women wear the hijab and only cover their head whereas others wear the burqa and cover their entire bodies. Still, others decide not to veil at all. I have heard that veiling was not explicitly stated in the Qur'an. But as Muslim women, I wanted to know what all of you thought about veiling. Do you believe that veiling was mandated in the Qur'an? And also, if you do not veil, does that make you a bad Muslim?
queenie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote queenie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2005 at 3:39pm

Praise be to Allaah.

Everyones favourite topic nowadays!

�O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies (i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allaah is Ever Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.�

This aayah clearly states that it is obligatory to cover all of a woman�s beauty and adornments and not to display any part of that before non-mahram men (�strangers�) except for whatever appears unintentionally, in which case there will be no sin on them if they hasten to cover it up.(However there is a difference of opinion by scholars on the covering of the face and therefore niqaab is not fardh).

Al-Haafiz ibn Katheer said in his Tafseer:

This means that they should not display any part of their adornment to non-mahrams, apart from that which it is impossible to conceal. Ibn Mas�ood said: such as the cloak and robe, i.e., what the women of the Arabs used to wear, an outer garment which covered whatever the woman was wearing, except for whatever appeared from beneath the outer garment. There is no sin on a woman with regard to this because it is impossible to conceal it.

omen cover their hair because Allaah has commanded them to do so, and it is not permissible for them to go against what He says and disobey His command. Allaah has only commanded them to do this because there is great wisdom in it. !

Confirmation of this is to be found in the words of Allaah (interpretation of the meaning):

�� That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed�� [al-Ahzaab 33:59]. If a woman covers herself, then immoral and corrupt men will know that this is not part of their prey, thus Allaah will protect them and take care of them.

Allaah and His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) have issued a stern warning to women who make a display of themselves. An example of this is:

Abu Hurayrah said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: �There are two types of the people of Hell whom I have not seen: a people with whips like the tails of cattle, with which they beat the people, and women who are clothed but naked, walking with an enticing gait and with their heads looking like the humps of camels, leaning to one side. They will not enter Paradise and will not even smell its fragrance, although its fragrance can be detected from such and such a distance.�

(Narrated by Muslim, 2128).

When did not use to cover and I was researching hijaab I came across the above ayaah. The words shook me and struck a kind of fear in my heart that prompted me towards hijaab.

No doubt many will respond to your post with the excuse...." I don't wear hijab because.....blah blah blah."

however a woman [or a man] should not try to comprehend Islamic rulings with her reason � which is unable to encompass the wisdom of sharee�ah. She should know that whatever Allaah has enjoined upon her contains nothing but goodness and happiness for her, her family and society as a whole. It is known that a woman�s uncovering her hair makes her more attractive to men, which could lead to them forming hopes about her and committing immoral actions. Islam wants society to be clean, with no provocation of desires, outrage or uncovering of women�s charms � which include their hair � which can lead to others being tempted by her and which opens the door to evil and its people.

Islam means submitting to Allaah. The believer follows the command of Allaah even if he does not know the wisdom behind it or he does not find anything to convince his reason of it, because his obedience of his Lord and his submission to His command take priority over all other things, and worship is based on obedience and submission. The quran says wa sami'na wa' atana (we hear and we obey). There really does not need to be a discussion about whether hijab is fardh or not.

Also there are conditions to what a hijab should be. These are summarised by most scholars as

1. The hijaab must cover her entire body

2. It should be thick enough to conceal what is underneath it

3. It should be loose-fitting

4. It should not be perfumed

5. It should not be a dress of fame and vanity (i.e., it should be extravagant or excessively opulent)

6. It should not resemble the dress of men

7. It should not be adorned with any crosses or pictures of animate beings                                                                                   we ask Allaah to show us the truth and help us to follow it, and to show us falsehood and help us to avoid it.

And Allaah knows best.

Edited by queenie
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2005 at 9:59am

Bismillah,

Here are some ideas and discussions we recently had on this topic.

http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2881& ;PN=1

You could do a search on this forum to find more discussion if you are still interested.

Briefly, I disagree with Q above.  Many are like me, few speak out in forums like this or stick around, but here I am.

Okay.  A few sentences on where I got such wild ideas.  The women in the time the Holy Quran was revealed went around bare breasted sometimes but usually wore a head scarf, long and loose.  So when the women were told to cover, that was what they were covering.

Since no one I know goes around bare topped, how does this still apply?  Wait, don't answer Q.  That was rhetorical.  That sentence means that there are scholars who believe it doesn't apply!  There are books.  Mine were stolen.  Look it up!

But I think it's great for women to wear scarves.  They are so pretty and you can definitely tell the women are Muslimat.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
hakeema View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hakeema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2005 at 10:51am

As-Salaam Alaikum,

I see women go around breast, buttocks, and stomach out.  I see them everyday.  I see women acting in seductive way.  All I have to do is look T.V. also.  There are women in college and universities sleeping with their professors so they can get A's. []  There women who carry this believe that they have to be seductive, and sleeping around in order to achieve things in life.  So yeah it does apply for today.  If you study the history also, you will learn that women conducted themselves in this manner.  All Prophet Muhammad(pbuh) was trying to do is teach women that they are more that just breast, booty, hair, and thighs.  That we are powerful, and let NO ONE take advantage of you.

Hakeema

Hakeema

Edited by Nausheen
queenie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote queenie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2005 at 12:55pm
" The women in the time the Holy Quran was revealed went around bare breasted sometimes but usually wore a head scarf, long and loose.  So when the women were told to cover, that was what they were covering" hahhahaa. LOL . really? are you f'real herjihad? I have heard many many reasons as to why women were prescribed to wear hijab. But its the first time I've heard this one. subhanallah. where do you get these books from?
aishag88 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aishag88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2005 at 12:01pm
 I could not imgaime going around with my breasts out! even if it was a norm or something. how emebarrsing
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2005 at 12:18am

Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir rajeem,

Bismillah ir rahman ir rahim

Women of arabia in preislamic age would take their scarfs on their heads, but did not wrap it around the shoulders and the bossom. (This does not mean they did not wear a shirt!).

The scarf would cover the head and fall back. Wrapping it around the shoulders to cover the neck and the shape of the bossom is more modest, and this is the command in the Quran. In other words, there is no question about not covering the head, as the head was already being covered in that time as well. The purpose of the veil in the quran was made more elaborate, ie to conceal the hair, the neck, the shape of shoulders and bossom.

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

Edited by Nausheen
<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
Khadija1021 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khadija1021 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2005 at 8:56pm

Bishmillahir-Rahmanir-Raheem 

Assalmu Alaikum

Originally posted by queenie queenie wrote:

�O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies (i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allaah is Ever Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.�

Sister Queenie, out of all of the translations I have seen regarding Sura 33. Ayat 59, that is the only one that makes a statement about covering the entire body including the face.  I have researched a number of translations and the following appears to be the more appropriate way to translated Sura 33, Ayat 59

�O prophet! tell thy wives and daughters and the believing women that they should cast their outer garments over their persons (when abroad): that is most convenient that they should be known (as such) and not molested: and Allah is Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful.�

This passage is a message about the need to protection ourselves from those who might molest us.  By covering our bodies from the eyes of onlookers, we identify ourselves as Muslimahs, and hence, by doing so we, inshallah, protect ourselves from the ways and acts of non-muslims.

In Ayat 59 of Sura 33, there is definitely no indication that one must use a face veil and it is even questionable if a head cover is even required.  To cover one�s �person� doesn�t necessary mean to cover one�s head.

In Sura 24, there are some ayats about how women (and men) should behave in public.  Both men and women should lower their gaze and guard their modesty (24,30-31).  Ayat 31 also says that women should �draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands� and others who are maharem (family members as ascribed in Islam) for them.  Furthermore, in Ayat 31 it say that they should not act in ways that will draw attention to what is hidden.  In these passages, we see there is a need for Muslimahs (and Muslims) to protect their modesty. However, there is no wording here that makes an explicit claim about covering the head and/or face.  It says, ��they should draw their veils over their bosoms�� not �they should draw their veils over their heads.�

There is a passage (Sura 33, Ayat 53) which many use as justification for saying that Muslimahs not only should but are commanded to cover both their heads and their faces.  It is as follows:

�O ye who Believe! enter not the Prophet's houses until leave is given you for a meal (and then) not (so early as) to wait for its preparation: but when ye are invited enter; and when ye have taken your meal disperse without seeking familiar talk. Such (behavior) annoys the Prophet: He is ashamed to dismiss you but Allah is not ashamed (to tell you) the truth. And when ye ask (his ladies) for anything ye want ask them from before a screen: that makes for greater purity for your hearts and for theirs. Nor is it right for you that ye should annoy Allah's Apostle or that ye should marry his widows after him at any time. Truly such a thing is in Allah's sight an enormity.�

Many people take �And when ye ask (his ladies) for anything ye want ask them from before a screen� to mean the Prophet�s wives wore face veils while in the company of non-maharem, and therefore, so should or must all Muslimahs.  However, there are two points I want to make.  First and foremost, this is a passage about the Prophet�s (pbuh) home and how non-maharems should enter it and what they should and should not do while there.  Even if the Prophet�s (pbuh) wives were commanded to speak from behind a screen in the presence of non-maharem men doesn�t imply that all women were commanded to do so.  The Prophet�s (pbuh) wives had special roles in the development of Islam just as did the Prophet (pbuh).  That is why the Prophet (pbuh) was allowed to have more than 4 wives while other Muslims were not.  And why the Prophet�s (pbuh) were not allowed to remarry after the Prophet (pbuh) while other Muslimah widows could (see Sura 33,  Ayat 53  ��ye should not marry his widows after him at any time.�).  Hence, even if this passage delivers the message that the Prophet�s (pbuh) wives were commanded to wear face veils in the presence of non-maharems, it doesn�t explicitly entail that all Muslimahs must do so also.

Second, there is room to question whether the statement �from before a screen� refers to a face veil.  There is a possibility that it is not a face veil which is referred to in this particular ayat, but rather, a screen partition put up in the room at times when non-marahem(s) were invited over for dinner which is being referred to in this Ayat.  The screen would allow the women to be in the same room while allowing them not to be seen by the guest(s).  If the guest(s) needed something, they could simply ask before the screen which would afford the wives to hear the request without being seen.

If we turn to the hadiths it becomes even clearer that Ayat 53 of Sura 33 refers to the conduct that takes places in the home of the Prophet (pbuh).  We also see that it is highly probably that it was a room sceen (like a curtain) that was referred to in Ayat 59 of Sura 33 and not a veil covering the faces of the wives of the Prophet (pbuh).  There are many hadiths which make reference to the event which lead to the revealing of Sura 33.  The following are from Shahi Bukhair�s collection of Hadiths:

�At that time the Divine Verse of Al-Hijab was revealed, and the Prophet set a screen between me and him (his family).� from Hadith 255 of Vol 8, Book 74

�he [the Prophet] drew the curtain between me and him� from Hadith 316  of Vol 6, Book 60

�he [the Prophet] lowered the curtain between me and him� from Hadith 317 of Vol 6, Book 60

�the Prophet drew a curtain between me and him� from Hadith 095 of Vol 7, Book 62

�the Prophet hung a curtain between me and him� from Hadith 375 of Vol 7, Book 65

So, was it a face veil or a room divider (like a curtain) that was put up when the Prophet (pbuh) had guests in his house?  And even if face veils were required of the Prophet�s (pbuh) wives while outside of (or even inside) their homes, does this lead to it being obligatory for all Muslimahs?  I think not necessarily and certainly not explicitly.

I, personally, would argue that there are no ayats in the Qur�an which explicitly states a Muslimah (at least not one who is not a wife of the Prophet (pbuh)) must cover her head or her face.  What is explicit, however, is that she must protect her modesty.  If she cannot protect her modesty without covering either (or both) her head and her face, then she must do so.  It is really that simple.

Since we tend to make judgments about others based upon our own understanding of Islam, before I close, I will to turn to another ayat that I find most helpful in making decisions about what is �righteous� regarding our actions and behaviors in Islam.  Ayat 177 of Sura 2 states the following:

�It is not righteousness that ye turn your faces toward East or West; but it is righteousness to believe in Allah and the Last Day and the Angels and the Book and the Messengers; to spend of your substance out of love for Him for your kin for orphans for the needy for the wayfarer for those who ask and for the ransom of slaves; to be steadfast in prayer and practice regular charity; to fulfill the contracts which ye have made; and to be firm and patient in pain (or suffering) and adversity and throughout all periods of panic. Such are the people of truth the Allah-fearing.�

So, true righteousness is not about the way we turn our heads (or even the way we cover them), it�s the way we love Allah in our hearts and have faith in Him and hold fast to the Pillars of Islam.  As long as we do this while protecting our modesty, no one has the right to say if we are right or wrong except Allah.  I know some will be upset by my position on this issue but I truly believe it is that simple and we need not make Islam any harder than it needs to be in order to live righteous lives therein.

Allah Hafiz

PAZ,

Khadijah

Say: 'My prayer and my rites, my living and my dying, are for Allah alone, the Lord of all the worlds. (Qur'an, 6:162)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic