IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - the crescent and the star  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

the crescent and the star

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the crescent and the star
    Posted: 04 May 2014 at 8:52pm
Sorry if this has been talked about before.  I could not find anything.

What is the meaning of the crescent and the star?  Why does this represent islam?

Shukran.
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 3:16am
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

Sorry if this has been talked about before.� I could not find anything.What is the meaning of the crescent and the star?� Why does this represent islam?Shukran.

The crescent and the star represent the period of the holy month of Ramadan.

Actually living in and around the Arabian Peninsula is truly amazing. The sky here is almost empty of stars, you will only see one two stars dotted here and there. However the moon is an amazing sight because it looks bigger here than anywhere else in the world. :)

Now at this time if you look at the night sky you will see the moon and the star but they are not together, they are actually quiet a way apart. These two heavenly bodies will come together during Ramadan.

Also the first day of Ramadan is determined when the crescent of the moon is visible. To do this the government of Saudi Arabia do various things such as sending an airplane to sky to see the crescent properly.

NOTE

The Islamic calender is determined by the crescent of the moon, which is always the first of the month. There are 12 months and 5 days shorter than the Gregorian calender (360 days).
NABA View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NABA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 7:48pm
Assalamalecum,no it has nothing to do with islam, the representative of islam is Quran, authentic hadeeth n practising Muslim.as Allah says in Quran in ch 3 v 110 to muslims that u r the best people forbid others from doing wrong n enjoin what is good.
Al Saadiqeen21 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Saadiqeen21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 9:33am
Originally posted by Abu Loren Abu Loren wrote:

Sorry if this has been talked about before.  I could not find anything.What is the meaning of the crescent and the star?  Why does this represent islam?Shukran.

The crescent and the star represent the period of the holy month of Ramadan.

Actually living in and around the Arabian Peninsula is truly amazing. The sky here is almost empty of stars, you will only see one two stars dotted here and there. However the moon is an amazing sight because it looks bigger here than anywhere else in the world. :)

Now at this time if you look at the night sky you will see the moon and the star but they are not together, they are actually quiet a way apart. These two heavenly bodies will come together during Ramadan.

Also the first day of Ramadan is determined when the crescent of the moon is visible. To do this the government of Saudi Arabia do various things such as sending an airplane to sky to see the crescent properly.

NOTE

The Islamic calender is determined by the crescent of the moon, which is always the first of the month. There are 12 months and 5 days shorter than the Gregorian calender (360 days).

Where can this be found in The Holy Qur'aan ????
One doesn't go to school let His / her's mind to die , They go to school so that their mind will come alive .

Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 11:49am
Greetings Abu Loren and NABA,

Thank you both.  I did some researching yesterday and yes the crescent and the star seem to be a thing definitely derived from arabian culture.

Abu Loren, what you shared was very interesting.  I can't imagine a sky empty of stars.

Peace and blessings,
Caringheart
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 12:08pm

Abu Loren, what you shared was very interesting.� I can't imagine a sky empty of stars.Peace and blessings,Caringheart

Yes it's unbelievable. This is in contrast to say Kerala, South India where I occasionally go to visit family where there are stars are like the sands on the sea shore. (BTW we live near the beach in Kerala). :)

Also the UK has it's fair share of stars but sometimes not really visible due to clouds and light from Londiniium.
Al Saadiqeen21 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Saadiqeen21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2014 at 4:46pm
Are we discussing The Five -Pointed Star or The Six Pointed Star . Here ???
One doesn't go to school let His / her's mind to die , They go to school so that their mind will come alive .

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic