IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - A sensitive and serious question  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A sensitive and serious question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2005 at 2:53am

Maryga wrote: "Wa-alaikum-as- Salaam. Mishmish wrote :�What I meant was that there is nothing in the Quran that indicates that Allah(SWT) would specifically rain destruction down upon the Muslim Ummah. None of the Ayats you mention describe any such direct retribution upon Muslims�.

Can you please define to me who a �Muslim� is? Does a person simply by virtue of his birth in a Muslim household become a Muslim? Does a person simply because he bears a Muslim name and says the Kalimah without deep faith and the true belief in the hereafter be a Muslim?"

A Muslim is someone who submits to the will of Allah(SWT). Only Allah knows the sincerity in a person's heart and whether or not they truly submit to His will. But, I assumed when you wrote your original post about the calamities befalling Muslims that you were referring to those who submit to the will of Allah(SWT).

If they say they are Muslim, yet do not believe, then they are not Muslims but hypocrits, and that takes on a whole different meaning.

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
Mishmish View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2005 at 3:25am

Assalamu Alaikum:

In this verse: 47.38. Behold, ye are those invited to spend (of your substance) in the Way of Allah. But among you are some that are niggardly. But any who are niggardly are so at the expense of their own souls. But Allah is free of all wants, and it is ye that are needy. If ye turn back (from the Path), He will substitute in your stead another people; then they would not be like you! Allah(SWT) states: "If ye turn back (from the path)". Clearly anyone who would turn back from the path would be someone who is not submitting to the will of Allah, thus they would not be considered a Muslim. It is addressed to those who are Believers and warning them against becoming non-Believers or those 'who turn back from the path'.

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
Shamil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2005 at 8:32am
Originally posted by Mishmish Mishmish wrote:

Assalamu Alaikum:

In this verse: 47.38. Behold, ye are those invited to spend (of your substance) in the Way of Allah. But among you are some that are niggardly. But any who are niggardly are so at the expense of their own souls. But Allah is free of all wants, and it is ye that are needy. If ye turn back (from the Path), He will substitute in your stead another people; then they would not be like you! Allah(SWT) states: "If ye turn back (from the path)". Clearly anyone who would turn back from the path would be someone who is not submitting to the will of Allah, thus they would not be considered a Muslim. It is addressed to those who are Believers and warning them against becoming non-Believers or those 'who turn back from the path'.

I have to agree with mishmish here. I thought about this a bit after I posted it and referred to the Arabic. The verb is "tawalla" (to turn away) which is used elsewhere in the Holy Qur'an to describe people who reject the message of the prophets completely; it's used repeatedly to tell Muhhammad salallahu alaihi wassalam that if the people whom he warns "turn away" it is for Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala to call them to account.

ZEA J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZEA  J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2005 at 10:51am

wow,  i didn't know that we have scholars on this forum who interprite the holy qur'an

"You will never attain piety and righteousness,(and eventually paradise)until you
spend of that which you love."(Al-Imran:92)
Mishmish View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2005 at 12:40pm

Assalamu Alaikum:

I am certainly no scholar, not even close, but in the Quran Allah(SWT) states: 'He it is Who has sent down to thee the book: in it are verses basic or fundamental (of established meaning); they are the foundation of the Book: others are allegorical. But those  in whose hearts is perversity follow the part that is allegorical, seeking discord and searching for its hidden meanings, but no one knows its hidden meanings except Allah. And those who are firmly grounded in knowledge say: "We believe in the Book; the whole of it is from our Lord:" and none will grasp the Message except men of understanding.' (Al Imran Verse 7)

You do not need to be a scholar to understand the basics of the Quran. They are clear for all to understand. And the verses that are allegorical or figurative, not even the scholars understand, as none know their meaning but Allah(SWT).

Edited by Mishmish
Maryga View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maryga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2005 at 3:03pm

Assalam-alaikum Mishmish - Now I think we seem to be talking on the same plain - yes, what you have interpreted is the same as what I have understood as posted.

Firewall, sorry whether it is 2005 or 5005 whatever was revelaed to our Prophet 1400 years ago holds good for all times. Only with obedience to God the Almighty can one find peace and happiness!

Shamil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2005 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by Mishmish Mishmish wrote:

Assalamu Alaikum:

I am certainly no scholar, not even close, but in the Quran Allah(SWT) states: 'He it is Who has sent down to thee the book: in it are verses basic or fundamental (of established meaning); they are the foundation of the Book: others are allegorical. But those  in whose hearts is perversity follow the part that is allegorical, seeking discord and searching for its hidden meanings, but no one knows its hidden meanings except Allah. And those who are firmly grounded in knowledge say: "We believe in the Book; the whole of it is from our Lord:" and none will grasp the Message except men of understanding.' (Al Imran Verse 7)

You do not need to be a scholar to understand the basics of the Quran. They are clear for all to understand. And the verses that are allegorical or figurative, not even the scholars understand, as none know their meaning but Allah(SWT).

Yes, I found that comment rather strange. I would call it reading intelligently, not interpreting.

Maryga View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maryga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2005 at 9:46pm

I agree. I refer mostly to the translation of Yusuf Ali and also to the commentary provided by him. May Allah Bless him with Jannate-Firdaus, but for his translation I would have been so much at a loss. I do not understand Arabic and people like myself would have been so ignorant without his help. I have also read the translations of a few others and simply can't help going back to Yusuf Ali's translation. I am of the opinion it is the best and that is the reason why the Saudi's have used it to publish their versions with a few alterations. It is also the most widely read and remains continually in demand. I have also heard that Maulana Maududi's translation is good.

Allah has said that He has made the Qura'n easy to understand so I don't worry about searching for scholars and am quite content as it answers all my needs.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic