IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - A sensitive and serious question  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A sensitive and serious question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A sensitive and serious question
    Posted: 06 November 2005 at 2:30pm
As we all know there are evil people in the world and these evil people claim to be many different things (ie, so-called Christians who bomb abortion clinics, murderers, rapists and theives who would claim to be Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, etc.).

The question that I have is that when people claiming to be adherants of Islam also claim responsibility for acts of violence (or terrorism which ever word you prefer) and they claim this reponsibility in the name of Islam - in your opinion, is the general response one of approval or one of anger?

Have there been responses condemning these acts and the use (or misuse) of Islam as the justification for them?

I do not recall seeing media coverage of any such statements.  I suppose I am hoping that you can direct me to something that I either I have missed or that has simply not received media attention.

Thank you for your time.   
MuslimChe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MuslimChe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2005 at 4:54pm

Salam my Friend...

The answer you are trying to seek is difficult to explain. Recently, there was a Fatwa (religious ruling) issued by North American Muslims Leaders that they oppose violence. In other parts of the world, like Spain, such things did occur.

Now, the core of your answer. Why are these things not widespread? Why doesn't a Mullah in the Middle East issue such a ruling? The answer is complex in itself and does not involve Islam itself.

You see, you need to first see who committed these atrocities. I am going to be blunt, so I am going to use September 11th as an example. The leaders of Al-Queda, OBL and Zawahiri (sp?) are not recognized religious leaders. By issuing "blank" fatwas, they can incite anger in the masses. Secondly, there are also political and social issues at hand. Many of these countries, where many bombers and hijackers have come from, do not have a clean record with the west. Each side, the West and the Middle East has their own share of violence. The social aspect is that many young individuals in the Middle East do not have jobs. I would say lack of oppertunites and education. When I mean education, I mean real religious education that can be used. Europe has a problem right now where fundementalists are running into various universities and recruting students who have a lack of knowledge of Islam. This can also be said of the Sept. 11th Hijackers. In many ways, there are many factors in play and in essense, I can assure you, Islam is not the root cause of it. People who are using the name of Islam in their actions are doing this.

Again, there is a lot of literature out there, and since you posted here, you must have come across the good and bad. Careful in what you read, because there are a lot of Islamic History "Spin Masters" out there.

Again, I touched the tip of the iceberg, there is a lot in play. There are many books out there on suicide bombings (I can't remember a good one that I recently read), that will explain what is going on.

freebird View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freebird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2005 at 4:27am

Originally posted by MrsK MrsK wrote:

As we all know there are evil people in the world and these evil people claim to be many different things (ie, so-called Christians who bomb abortion clinics, murderers, rapists and theives who would claim to be Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, etc.).

Ok I will confine to this section only because it is confusing me. You already identified the "Evil people" in the bracket. Don't you want to include governments as evil as well? or does it have to be religious individuals / group?

MrsK View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2005 at 4:30am
Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Please know that I do not believe that the religion of Islam is the cause - only that it is what is used as justification for the attrocities of mankind.  Just as in other places and other times it was Christianity or Judaism that has been used as the justification for the attrocities committed by mankind.

I would assume that the problem is further complicated by the fact that Islam, like most other world religions, does not have a central authority or speak with a single voice.  Confusing messages can then exists and I think that is easy to guess which the media (ever hungry for a headline) would choose to focus on.

Thank you again for your patience.  
freebird View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freebird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2005 at 4:57am

The atrocities commited in the name of religion is wrong assumption. Yes the religious people are easily manipulated to do what they believe is rewarding act, but the commanders themselves are not sure if the hereafter is a sure thing.

People who do know spiritual world will refuse even to lift a finger, because to "win" in the battle is - always a matter of word.

God use word in doing everything. When He says "Be" than what he intended were come into being as intended.

Speech is the determining factor, and that is the only available mean to transform enemies into friends. That is the tool to end all battles.

O thou wrapped up in thy raiment! (73:1)
Keep vigil the night long, save a little - (73:2)
A half thereof, or abate a little thereof (73:3)
Or add (a little) thereto - and chant the Qur'an in measure, (73:4)
For we shall charge thee with a word of weight. (73:5)

MuslimChe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MuslimChe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2005 at 3:48pm

MrsK, you answered your own question. The problem today is that Fatwas can be issued by any average joe Muslim. The problem is that they often contradict each other. 

Here is another problem, there is no world-wide people to lead the Muslims people. I would assume this is the case in Judaisim. You might have a central scholarly voice, but overall unity is lacking.

That leads to many points, such as why the Muslim world is what it is today. Why it is broken, why there are problems.

Sadly, western media focuses on the bad, and guess why? It's not that they hate Muslims, it's just that hating Muslims sells in the west. It gets you the ratings you need.

Maryga View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maryga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2005 at 9:42pm

Assalam-alaikum! This is an interesting discussion and something most Muslims are battling with. Let us constructively debate why we are in the situation that we are in today.

MuslimChe wrote: Sadly, western media focuses on the bad, and guess why? It's not that they hate Muslims, it's just that hating Muslims sells in the west. It gets you the ratings you need.

Can we still continue to blame the west after experiencing the Tsunami, the earthquakes etc where the majority of those affected were Muslims? Man is unjust, but Allah always dispenses justice. If we are so good why are we experiencing Allah's wrath? What is wrong with us? Where are we failing?

Edited by Maryga
Mishmish View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2005 at 10:03pm

Originally posted by MrsK MrsK wrote:

Have there been responses condemning these acts and the use (or misuse) of Islam as the justification for them?

I do not recall seeing media coverage of any such statements.  I suppose I am hoping that you can direct me to something that I either I have missed or that has simply not received media attention.

Thank you for your time.   

MrsK, There have been SO many condemnation of these acts in the Islamic world. Why they don't get media attention is another story. I am providing a link to the "Not in the Name of Islam" petition that CAIR, the Council on American Islamic Relations, started. Almost 700,000 Muslims from everywhere have signed, and all on this board are encouraged to do so.  

http://www.cair-net.org/default.asp?page=notislampetition

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic