IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Science & Technology
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - quran and science  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

quran and science

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 26>
Author
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quranexplorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2014 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by marcello marcello wrote:

How can you say it is nonsense if you refuse to look at it? You have clearly fallen into the deep well of ignorance populated by so many religious people: don't trouble me with facts or new information, the Quran (New Testament, Old Testament, etc.) is all I need! I therefore won't waste my time paraphrasing and interpreting for you material that is well-researched and well-explained elsewhere.

No worries, you have your opinion and I have mine. In a discussion forum like this, I choose to discuss with people who have their own understanding on issues and not those who just quote external links from some source. So maybe we can discuss some other time when you have time to share your own understanding on something specific.
Quranexplorer View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quranexplorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2014 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by airmano airmano wrote:

Than you speculate about the reasons why somebody rejects the (divinity) of the Quran. I think you've forgotten about point three:
1.     Man�s love with the pleasures of this world � he finds it very difficult to sacrifice some of the pleasures of this world for the eternal success in the hereafter
2.     Man�s high level of ego � he finds it very difficult to accept the truth that is different from the system in which he is currently in
3.     Critical analysis of the Quran and the innumerable contradictions within, clearly show that the book is of human origin
--------------------------------------------------------

Since you have added point no. 3, I understand you are in agreement with the first two points. In that case, if you really work on the first two points, you will see that the point no. 3 disappears automatically. It really works!

Now to my statement ("we are not made out of clay = Silicates", as the Quran states):
Quote Just sum up your own numbers: 95% Carbon, 65% Oxygen, 9.5% Hydrogen? Anyway that's not the point: According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composition_of_the_human_body the mass fraction of Silicon in our body is 20�10−6 and even its biological usefulness is disputed. So forget about the clay, don't dig any further.
you answered
Quote just to clarify the numbers � 95% refers to the entire group of 6 elements (carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, phosphorus and sulphur) out of which oxygen is 65% and Hydrogen 9.5% by weight. Hope this clarifies.
Sorry, this doesn't clarify anything. By choosing the side lane and reacting onto the percentages you're chickening out on the clay subject! Well, at least you stop digging.
-------------------------------------------------------

You specifically asked for the numbers and I replied.

You made a wrong statement as below:

Most of the clays are (Alumina-)Silicates like Kaolin (Al2Si2O5(OH)4), they are thus Silicon based. So already on the level of (chemical) elements our body and clay got nothing in common. Therefore this statement is thus simply wrong when taken literally.

This has been already replied, again quoted below:

Quote In a human body the elements carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, phosphorus and sulphur makes up 95% of the living tissues, with a total of 26 different elements including Silicon, with oxygen being 65% and Hydrogen 9.5% by weight. So we can see there is much in common between human body and clay at the elemental level and the quranic statement of man being created from the essence of clay is very well substantiated.

Even Aluminium is present in the human body. So at an elemental level all the elements in your clay formula Al2Si2O5(OH)4 are present in the human body.

You do nothing else than appealing to a miracle here! What would stop the water from running off into lower areas? A gigantic wall that God built to retain the water and drown the people??
This is exactly the point that I observe quite often in discussions with Muslims: On the surface the saying is: "Islam is pro-science" As soon as science contradicts the Quran - as it is the case here - (be it "top" or "on" the mountain it still implies something like >1000m) the eyes are shut by saying "And considering the overall wisdom of Quran, I won�t waste my time speculating on possibilities that have no value".
You could as well say: "If reality enters in conflict with the Quran, the Quran is automatically right. (or worse).

I don�t see the need for any miracles here and I don�t see science contradicting Quran either, but I see your personal speculation contradicting Quran, which is fine. I have no problems with scientifically established facts, but I have a problem with mere speculations presented under the disguise of science. If you can scientifically establish without any trace of doubt that a flood destroying the people of prophet Noah (pbuh) was absolutely impossible, then there is a case for discussion. Otherwise, there is no point in wasting time on speculations.

Going by your logic, there shall be no flooding on earth as the water always has an opportunity to drain off to a lower area as there is something below the earth surface always, but I see floods happening around the world all the time. And I don�t see any scientific contradiction in this as my simple logic of physics tells me that a flood is possible anywhere if the water inflow exceeds the water outflow!
---------------------------------------------------------

Actually, I do get confused! If you're interpretation was correct, Mohamed (or God) would deliberately lie to those that believe in multiple creators: Knowing that there is only one creator - but saying that there are many! Is Allah a liar ?

I�m not surprised if you are confused, because I see this is something you are really good at!

Man is given with the free will to choose his path and you are responsible in choosing your path. So if you choose not to accept the remaining 6,235 verses from Quran and get confused with this one verse, don�t blame Allah and prophet Muhammad (pbuh) for that.
-------------------------------------------------------

To end the embryology story:
Could you provide me with a neutral link (like Wikipedia or University pages) or cite the line(s) in a chapter of a medical/science book supporting your theory(-ies)? i.e. on the sequence: "...made that lump into bones, and We clothed those bones with flesh".

To repeat, the temporal sequence:
A) lump transforms into bones
and than
B)(These)bones [are] getting covered/surrounded by flesh,
where you insist so heavily on its correctness. I do have access to libraries to check.
When I say "neutral", this implies obviously a scientific and not a (biased) Islamic link/website or book.

Eagerly awaiting your answers

I have already referred to the Quran and it�s interpretations by experts in the field of embryology with an understanding of these Quranic verses. Now you are free to quote your neutral libraries if you have any disagreement.
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2014 at 8:26pm
Point 1-3: Would you know what a logical conjunction is ?
Especially the difference between "And" and "Or" bindings ?
To the "clay business": After your Silicon got debunked you try the Aluminium. Well, Al is even ten times more rare in our body than Si and there are even speculations about the "effect" of Al in our body like: Alzheimer
May be that this is the problem !?
-----------------------------------------------------
Than to Noah's ark you wrote:
Quote Going by your logic, there shall be no flooding on earth as the water always has an opportunity to drain off to a lower area as there is something below the earth surface always,
Did you ever come across the term "sea level" ? Would you know about any major flooding of say 400m above sea level ?
-----------------------------------------------------
Than regarding the "multiple creators": you go the ususal path by saying nothing else than: I don't care about this (wrong) statement (or lie ?) in the Quran since the rest is great !
And to the embryology [in the Quran], when I asked you about non-islamic sources to prove its correctness. You wrote:
Quote I have already referred to the Quran and it�s interpretations by experts in the field of embryology with an understanding of these Quranic verses. Now you are free to quote your neutral libraries if you have any disagreement.
Wich experts? (please: no Keith L. Moore!) In clear terms you put me off and refer to the Quran (again) because you have no facts at your hand.
Why am I not surprised ?

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 13 August 2014 at 11:37pm
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2014 at 3:23am

The Qur'an is a spritual book that has no scientific intentions. Airmano

I totally agree. The Muslim scientists of the Golden Islamic Age read the Quran to enhance their spiritual lives, but they rediscovered the ancient Greek scientific texts, in order to understand them and improve them. Trying to discover science in Quranic verses is like contemplating the shape of cumulus clouds. This looks like a sheep, doesn't it? Or a goat. Perhaps a cat.

Edited by Matt Browne - 04 October 2014 at 3:24am
A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quranexplorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2014 at 3:31am
It's good to be back after a break!

To Airmano:
I didn't see any logical conjunction in your reply but just a new point no.3 added at the bottom. No worries, I know you won't be able to agree with the points 1 and 2 in any case and that doesn't need any reasoning with conjunctions.

You have clearly failed to prove wrong the clay statement in Quran as all the elements in your clay formula are present in the human body. Looks like once you fail on the elemental composition, it's time to look at the quantitative composition as the next excuse?

Noah's Ark: There is no point in denying the possibility of a flood with some speculative limits set by limited human knowledge. I can agree with you if you can definitively establish a scientific proof that no flood is possible above 400MSL. Can you?

Your confusion on multiple creators:

Al-Baqara 2:2577 Allah is the Protecting Guardian of those who believe. He bringeth them out of darkness into light. As for those who disbelieve, their patrons are false deities. They bring them out of light into darkness. Such are rightful owners of the Fire. They will abide therein.

The choice of light or darkness is yours.

On embryology: I have given my version based on the Quran and you are the one looking to deny the Quran. So what is stopping you from quoting your so called neutral libraries if you think you have some ground to deny the Quran??

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quranexplorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2014 at 5:51am
Originally posted by Matt Browne Matt Browne wrote:

I totally agree. The Muslim scientists of the Golden Islamic Age read the Quran to enhance their spiritual lives, but they rediscovered the ancient Greek scientific texts, in order to understand them and improve them. Trying to discover science in Quranic verses is like contemplating the shape of cumulus clouds. This looks like a sheep, doesn't it? Or a goat. Perhaps a cat.

Quran is the ultimate book of wisdom from the creator to guide humans to the right path to achieve the ultimate goal of human existence - the success in the hereafter.

Quran uses a variety of ways to drive home the unity of Allah and the need for humans to match their will with the will of Allah - references to various phenomena in the natural world are one of them to guide men of understanding. Some of these references fall within the limited realm of science. Whereas the Quranic realm is far beyond the limited realm of science.

For someone who approaches the Quran with the right intent these scientific references in Quran are clear and are strikingly far beyond the the general level of knowledge available at it's time of revelation.

A generic statement of denial is the easiest way, but a look at the details will clearly show the folly in such statements. It would be a good idea to read this thread from the beginning to understand some of these scientific references before jumping to wrong conclusions.
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2014 at 3:32am
There is no ultimate book of wisdom. We will see many wise books in the years and centuries to come. There is wisdom in the Bible and Quran, but it is not ultimate or absolute. And it doesn't cover everything we need to know.

Edited by Matt Browne - 18 October 2014 at 3:33am
A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
qasim nabeel View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qasim nabeel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2014 at 4:59am
MashALLAH members explain it so vastly ....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 26>
  Share Topic