IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Yusuf Islam  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yusuf Islam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2005 at 9:14pm

As Salamu Alaikum

I have read lots of articles and heard a lot of lectures given by Br.Yusuf Islam Masha Allah they were very inspiring, but his going back to music that is something I am distressed about. To me it seems like he is undoing his good works even if this is done for a good cause.

The fatawas given by most scholars is that music is Haram.

The Prophet (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam) stated that Haram is clear and Halal is clear but there are doubtful thing in between the two. It is better to stay away from these doubtful things and music is one of those doubtful things, because there are a few scholars who say it is okay.

Allah knows best as He is the Only One Who knows the intention of each and every one of us.

�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2005 at 10:52pm

Salam,

I strongly against gospelization of the mosque. I myself don't like music but my wife and my kids do. They like Islamic song such as Muslim kids song, Adam world song etc. All of their collections have meaningful lyrics. For my kids other than entertaining also help them to understand Islam better, such us the ones of God, memorizing pillars of Islam, history of the prophet, be kind to others, etc.

Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2005 at 3:57am

It seems to me that there is far more "evil" on the internet than could ever be in music!  And yet, here we all are using this evil thing! 

It's not like we are four year olds who don't know right from wrong or how to control ourselves.  We all use this internet and (Allah willing) manage to keep away from all the very bad stuff available at the touch of our fingertips.  Why can't we manage to control ourselves to listen only to good/inspiring/useful music???

I couldn't imagine my life without music (and yes, I like rock).  Music lifts my spirits, makes me happy and most of all reminds me to thank Allah for all His wonderful gifts.

From what I have seen and read of Yusuf Islam, his deen is very strong.  I can't imagine that he would do anything but good, inspirational music that might bring more people to the fold of Islam.  And even if he does "bad" music, are we not mature enough not to listen if we don't want to? 

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
nadir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nadir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2005 at 7:29am

As-Salaamu Alaikum

Also from the Fatwa;

Music and temporary entertainments sink the human in physical pleasures and prevent him/her from true spiritual gains. In conclusion, music has a great role to play in preventing a human from realising the purpose of creation.�

I agree with this 100%.

I admit that in my pre-Islamic period of ignorance, lyrics within music, at times, strengthened my search for the truth. However a Muslim who has given up the use of haram instruments, (in my opinion) should not transgress back therein.

I am aware he may be doing so with pure motivation, but surely Allah (SWT) has placed others (within the music world), who have not yet embraced Islam (but Insha Allah, will do so) to guide the �Lost� into the �Light�?

As I gradually corrected the unlawful things in my life (as I continue to do so), I realised that we do need to �sense something� (ie some evil people use sensory deprivation, as torture). However I found that in the silence of non-music, Allah (SWT) had been dwelling. I heard the songs of His birds, the sound of the trees dancing in the wind.

It is our own conditioning that makes us think, certain things are more enjoyable than others. Why are Allah�s (SWT) songs (which are free of cost & free of any �manipulation�) not as beautiful and enjoyable, as music?

I also agree about the fact that music can take us into a trance like state, where we forget our obligations (�As far as the songs are concerned, if they consist of anything that is unlawful or they prevent one from the obligatory duties, then they will be unlawful�).

Hence I do not intend to suggest that if you listen to music you should replace one trance like state (music) for another (Allah�s [SWT] songs), as in that silence of non-music, Allah (SWT) out of His Compassion, may wish/need to condemn the error of our ways, so that we may move closer to Him.

A final point, if I may, I see the harp used on coats of arms (crests) that belong to people whom I don not trust (I�ll let you decide if you want to look into masonic symbolism, it is easy to find on the internet), and I have even heard a scientific �theory of everything�, called �string theory� I do not want to corrupt you with it�s details, but it is a direct derivative of the �worship� of stringed instruments.

Wa-Salaam

nadir
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2005 at 8:43am

Salam,

Good point ummziba, internet is another tool, another "neutral tool". And there is no script (hadith/quran or even classic scholar) talked about that specifically. So the judgment for it will be purely using logic.

Edited by semar
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
nadir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nadir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2005 at 10:44am

As-Salaamu Alaikum

Are we Muslim's, or are we innovators?

For Yusuf Islam to transgress back into using musical instruments (after not using them) is to say (to non-Muslim's), I found peace in Allah (SWT) - without music, but now, I am more knowledgeable, I fancy using music again! 

In other words - music is permissible - I�ll do what I want!   

Music is Haram!

Did Adam & Eve under/overstand why they were not allowed to eat from the forbidden tree?

No they didn't, otherwise they would not have done so, as they were ashamed to face their/our Lord (SWT), after they had eaten from the tree. Allah (SWT) asks that we obey his command, even though we may not comprehend why we need to do so.

Whatever happened to - Labbaika wa sa�daika

I respond to your call, I am obedient to your orders

Al-Hamdulilah

Yusuf. View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yusuf. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2005 at 10:52am

Assalamu alaikum,

I find it very easy to agree with ukhti ummziba that music is a neutral tool, and that far worse things can be found on the internet. However, it would be wise to recall the conclusions of Ahmad Ibn al-Naqib al-Misri in "The Reliance of the Traveller:

The position of the Ash`aris, the followers of Abul Hasan Ash`ari, is that the mind is unable to know the rule of Allah about the acts of those morally responsible except by means of His messengers and inspired books.

For minds are in obvious disagreement about acts. Some minds find certain acts good, others find them bad.

Moreover, one person can be of two minds about one and the same action. Caprice often wins out over the intellect, and considering something good or bad comes to be based on mere whim.

So it cannot be said that an act which the mind deems good is therefore good in the eyes of Allah, its performance called for, and its doer rewarded by Allah; or that whatever the mind feels to be bad is thus bad in the eyes of Allah, its non-performance called for and its doer punished by Allah.

The basic premise of this school of thought is that the good of the acts of those morally responsible is what the Lawgiver (syn. Allah or His messenger (Allah bless him and give him peace) ) has indicated is good by permitting it or asking it be done. And the bad is what the Lawgiver has indicated is bad by asking it not be done.

The good is not what reason considers good, nor the bad what reason considers bad. The measure of good and bad, according to this school of thought, is the sacred Law not reason (dis:W-3). ("Sacred Knowledge," Chapter One).

As for the Internet, it is a neutral tool which contains good as well as bad. However, the nearly unanimous verdicts of the scholars have determined that music, by its very nature, is haram. And as Imam al-Naqib has clearly pointed out, human reason is insufficient to determine what is good and bad. In a situation such as this, one must defer to the consensus of our scholars, who have devoted their entire lives to these questions using the Holy Qur'an and Sunnah of the Noble Prophet, salallahu alaihi wassalam.

Allah 'Alim

Yusuf
blond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2005 at 11:38am

"27:16. And Solomon was David�s heir, and he said: O men, we have been taught the speech of birds, and we have been granted of all things. Surely this is manifest grace."

I have heard it said that this is symbolic language used to describe those who live on top of society and study knowledge which is kept from those on the bottom of society. This hidden knowledge allows them to rise far above others. Within these circles, music is spoken of as one of the highest forms of language. Therefore, it is called "the language of the birds". King David was taught this language as a child. Some scriptures say he played instruments while his brothers excelled physically.

I guess the point is that music is a vibration, and everything in the universe vibrates at a resonant frequency. Wise people know how to set up a resonant frequency that is translated as "harmony", using sound. This is why music can unite people who can't even speak the same language.

I don't think this allegorical interpretation of "idle speech" as music, is correct.

"3:7. He it is Who has revealed the Book to thee; some of its verses are decisive � they are the basis of the Book � and others are allegorical. Then those in whose hearts is perversity follow the part of it which is allegorical, seeking to mislead, and seeking to give it (their own) interpretation. And none knows its interpretation save Allah, and those firmly rooted in knowledge, they say: 'We believe in it, it is all from our Lord.' And none mind except men of understanding."

Thank you.

Edited by blond
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic