IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1948 Creation & Catastrophe  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 Creation & Catastrophe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2014 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

Originally posted by islamispeace islamispeace wrote:

Nigeria under siege by Boko Haram
�February 18th, we had a situation where Boko Haram surrounded a village, separated Christians from the Muslims, and then massacred 106 Christians. Then last week, it flared up yet again when they surrounded a school and killed over 100 children.�
"The ongoing loss in northern Nigeria is devastating: people have lost their homes, places of business, churches, and many have lost their loved ones. "
Why is Palestine considered as unique...
only because of prejudice.

I haven't seen any Muslim on this forum make excuses for Boko Haram.  Have you?

Greetings islamispeace,

No, but where is the outcry for these people who are losing their homes, their land, their lives, their loved ones?  Why only the outcry against Israel?  Prejudice.

asalaam,
Caringheart

Salaam Alaikum, Caringheart.

Islamispeace has condemned crimes perpetrated by Muslims (or people claiming to be following Islam) in email discussions I have had with him over the years.

On this forum, he has condemned Al Qaeda's mistreatment of Syrian Christians in Raqqa.
http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28104

Abu Loren condemned the attack on Nigerian Christians by stating that Islam does not teach its adherents to kill innocent men, women and children.
http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=27746&PN=1

AbuAyisha has spoken out against the religious indoctrination of West Papuan children by some Indonesian Muslims.
http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=27424

Abu Loren* wrote one of the angriest pieces I have seen on this forum against people who kill and terrorize in the name of Islam.
http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=26536&KW=abu+loren+terrorist

*If you read my exchanges with Abu Loren, you will see that we often don't get along. Unlike Islamispeace who I consider a friend, Abu Loren and I fight more often than not. Yet he is very much a Muslim and as you can see, he is very much vocal about Muslims harming non-Muslims.

I have seen Muslims in this forum condemn terrorism by Muslims (or people claiming to be following Islam) against non-Muslims.

As a Christian, I also condemn terrorism perpetrated by Christians (or people claiming to be Christians) against Muslims and other non-believers.

We should not be defending abuses perpetrated by Israel, just as no one should be defending abuses perpetrated by Hamas.

Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2014 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by TG12345 TG12345 wrote:

Islamispeace has condemned crimes perpetrated by Muslims (or people claiming to be following Islam) in email discussions I have had with him over the years.

On this forum, he has condemned Al Qaeda's mistreatment of Syrian Christians in Raqqa.

Abu Loren condemned the attack on Nigerian Christians by stating that Islam does not teach its adherents to kill innocent men, women and children.

AbuAyisha has spoken out against the religious indoctrination of West Papuan children by some Indonesian Muslims.

Abu Loren* wrote one of the angriest pieces I have seen on this forum against people who kill and terrorize in the name of Islam.
http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=26536&KW=abu+loren+terrorist

*If you read my exchanges with Abu Loren, you will see that we often don't get along. Unlike Islamispeace who I consider a friend, Abu Loren and I fight more often than not. Yet he is very much a Muslim and as you can see, he is very much vocal about Muslims harming non-Muslims.

I have seen Muslims in this forum condemn terrorism by Muslims (or people claiming to be following Islam) against non-Muslims.

As a Christian, I also condemn terrorism perpetrated by Christians (or people claiming to be Christians) against Muslims and other non-believers.

We should not be defending abuses perpetrated by Israel, just as no one should be defending abuses perpetrated by Hamas.

Greetings TG,

I appreciate what you are saying here, and I too do not excuse wrongful behavior.
What I am saying is...
where are the people getting up in arms to lob missiles at all the other people who are committing atrocities... taking away land and lives, committing 'genocide' as everyone likes to say is being done to palestinians?   And I'm not saying that they should,  I am saying that the only place we see this is over the Israel issue.  That is all that I am saying.  There are atrocities going on all over the world but everyone is not jumping on board to fuel those fires.  I am speaking against prejudice.

asalaam,
Caringheart

Edited by Caringheart - 09 March 2014 at 10:33pm
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2014 at 10:47pm

Originally posted by TG12345 TG12345 wrote:

Greetings TG,

I appreciate what you are saying here, and I too do not excuse wrongful behavior.
What I am saying is...
where are the people getting up in arms to lob missiles at all the other people who are committing atrocities... taking away land and lives, committing 'genocide' as everyone likes to say is being done to palestinians?   And I'm not saying that they should,  I am saying that the only place we see this is over the Israel issue.  That is all that I am saying.  There are atrocities going on all over the world but everyone is not jumping on board to fuel those fires.  I am speaking against prejudice.

asalaam,
Caringheart

Hi Caringheart,

Greetings to you also and peace be with you.

I don't see anyone on this forum advocating lobbying missiles at Israel, I do see them criticizing crimes that it commits against Palestinians. I also see them criticizing crimes being perpetrated by ISIL, Boko Haram, and Indonesian "Muslim" missionaries.

I do agree with you that outside of this forum, I am more likely to hear my Muslim friends criticize Israel than to hear them criticize Indonesia, or other Muslim majority states that occupy and oppress non-Muslims. I believe this is wrong, and that among some, only Israel is condemned for human rights abuses, and other perpetrators get a free ride. That is hypocritical and low and wrong. I don't see it happening on this forum, though.

We need to speak out against human rights abuses by Indonesia and other Muslim majority states. That doesn't mean though that as we do so, we should stop speaking out against abuses by Israel.

One reason why I am very vocal about Israeli crimes against Palestinians is that, unlike crimes carried out by Jakarta or Khartoum or Riyadh or Tehran, many churches support and try to make excuses for these crimes. In other words, these occupation- the beatings, house demolitions, water deprivation, checkpoints, humiliations, shootings- is being supported and excused and sometimes even funded by people claiming to be acting in our name.

Soon after I became a Christian, when I was 17, I met a Palestinian woman, a convert from Islam to Christianity and a dear sister in Jesus Christ; who opened my eyes to what her people are going through. It is bad enough that Palestinians are suffering under occupation. It is even worse that many churches stand by their oppressors.

Those Muslims who shamefully keep silent or support human rights abusers who are also Muslim will one day have to face God and answer why they tolerated injustice being done in their names. You don't need to fear that, it will happen.

However, ask yourself this: what will we say to Him when you face Him and He asks us what we have done to oppose injustices being carried out against His people, in our name?

Edited by TG12345 - 09 March 2014 at 10:53pm
Reepicheep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reepicheep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2014 at 9:29am
Islamispeace wrote: I asked if your specific church (the one you attend) which sent 150 sweaters to Syria has also sent aid to Palestinians. Have you personally donated to Palestine?

Yes. We donate money to Canadian Lutheran World Relief, which in turn forwards money to the World Lutheran Federation, which spends the money supporting The Augusta Victoria Hospital in East Jerusalem.
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2014 at 12:21pm
Christians don't specifically only help 'Christians', they help everyone... indeed they are instructed to help all mankind...
Read Jesus', parable of the good samaritan, and the lesson that Yshwe taught.
asalaam.
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2014 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Reepicheep Reepicheep wrote:

I just read a particularly depressing article on Syria:

Doctors in Syria are being forced to give children unnecessary amputations and patients are choosing to be knocked out with metal bars rather than endure operations without anaesthesia, a new report on the disintegration of the war-torn nation�s health system says.

Three years of brutal conflict has left 60 per cent of Syria�s hospitals damaged or destroyed, while many health workers and medical staff have been killed, imprisoned or have fled the country altogether.

Children given unnecessary amputations as Syria's health system deteriorates

Greetings reepicheep,

I just heard about this in the news.  So sad.
Caringheart
Blessed be God forever
TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2014 at 4:11pm

Christians don't specifically only help 'Christians', they help everyone... indeed they are instructed to help all mankind...
Read Jesus', parable of the good samaritan, and the lesson that Yshwe taught.
asalaam.

Amen to that, sister. We are called to help everyone, not only fellow Christians.
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2014 at 9:29am
I recommend reading the book "MICHAEL LERNER - Embracing Israel/Palestine: A Strategy to Heal and Transform the Middle East"

Summary: A major modern conundrum is how the Arab/Israel conflict remains unresolved and, seemingly, unresolvable. In Embracing Israel/Palestine, Rabbi Michael Lerner examines how the mutual demonization and discounting of each sides� legitimate needs drive the antagonism, and explores the underlying psychological dynamics that fuel the seeming intransigence on both sides. Lerner shows the importance of being both pro-Israel and pro-Palestine, challenges the master narratives in both Israel and Palestine to the extent that they demean the other side, and exposes the false idea that �homeland security� (either for Israel or for the U.S.) can be achieved through military, political, economic, or cultural domination. Lerner argues that real security is best achieved through an ethos of caring and generosity toward �the other� and presents a Global Marshall Plan whose first location would be the Middle East. Insisting that any agreement reached at the negotiating table will be worthless without a fundamental transformation of consciousness, Lerner shows how we in the West could play a central role in facilitating that change if we ourselves were to adopt a more rational approach to homeland security and foreign policy. Lerner�s approach, drawn from his own work as a psychotherapist with Israelis and Palestinians and addressing the Post Traumatic Stress Disorder that politically cripples both societies, presents a vital and creative new direction that will provide hope and instruction to anyone who seeks a lasting peace for the Middle East and a healing of the U.S. as well.

Rep. Keith Ellison, the first elected Muslim to the U.S. Congress and chair of the seventy-member Progressive Caucus of the U.S. House of Representatives about the book: "Rabbi Michael Lerner is one of America�s most significant progressive intellectuals and political leaders, and Embracing Israel/Palestine is not only a great conceptual breakthrough in dealing with the Middle East but also demonstrates a methodology for how best to think about global and domestic U.S. politics. For many decades Muslims, around the world have been cheered by Rabbi Lerner�s challenge to the media�s demeaning of our religion and dismissal of the rights of Palestinians, just as they have been challenged by his insistence that they recognize the importance of truly and deeply accepting Israel�s right to exist in peace and security. I hope my colleagues on Capitol Hill, the cynical media, and leaders in Israel, Palestine, and throughout the world are pushed by ordinary readers to grapple with the brilliant path to peace and reconciliation put forward in this book. Rabbi Lerner�s commitment to nonviolence and a path of love and generosity should not be dismissed as utopian. My experience in the Congress leads me to believe, on the contrary, that it is precisely his way of thinking that is the only path that will give Israel, Palestine, and the United States the peace, security, and well-being all three deserve!"

A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic