IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Questions about the Quran  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Questions about the Quran

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csmatyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions about the Quran
    Posted: 15 February 2014 at 11:00am
Dear Muslims,
I am a Christian with some questions for you about the Quran. I have read half of the Quran and by now the following questions have formulated in my mind:

1. Why is it so important for you that at the beginning of creation God made the angels bow down to Adam? By the way, is bowing not a sign of worship? If so, then why are creatures such as the angels worshiping another creature as though he would be a God?
2. The Quran mentions stories and scenes from the Bible quite abundantly, and refers to Jews and Christians as people of the Book. If so, does this mean that Islam accepts the Bible as a source of authority?
3. In the Quran I have read in numerous places where the authors of some of the Surahs claim that they gave the Jews the Book, or that they gave them mercy, or that for example the disciples of Jesus proclaimed themselves to be Muslims. How can all of these things be since Christianity and Judaism arose well before Islam?

Thank you, Matthew
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2014 at 7:04pm
Hello Matthew.  Welcome to the forum and thank you for the questions. 

Quote 1. Why is it so important for you that at the beginning of creation God made the angels bow down to Adam? By the way, is bowing not a sign of worship? If so, then why are creatures such as the angels worshiping another creature as though he would be a God?

I am not sure what you mean by "why is it so important for you".  The significance of the angels bowing to Adam (peace be upon him) was that it was Allah's command to them.  They simply obeyed. 

Bowing down does not automatically denote "worship".  How could it, since it was Allah who commanded the angels to bow down to Adam?  It was in fact done so that the angels would show respect to Adam (peace be upon him).

According to the Bible, David (peace be upon him) prostrated to Saul (may Allah be please with him).  Does that mean he was worshiping him?

"Then David went out of the cave and called out to Saul, �My lord the king!� When Saul looked behind him, David bowed down and prostrated himself with his face to the ground." (1 Samuel 24:8)

Quote 2. The Quran mentions stories and scenes from the Bible quite abundantly, and refers to Jews and Christians as people of the Book. If so, does this mean that Islam accepts the Bible as a source of authority?

No.  It refers to these stories for different reasons.  The main reason is to remind the Jews and Christians that Muhammad (peace be upon him) had not brought a new message.  Rather, he was bringing the same message that the previous prophets had brought.  The other reason is to correct many of the falsehoods attributed to the prophets.  You may have noticed that while the Quran mentions many stories which are similar to the Bible, there are both major and minor differences.  For example, the Quran does not say David committed adultery or that Aaron (peace be upon him) built the golden calf which the Israelites worshiped in Moses' (peace be upon him) absence.  Given these differences, the Quran is certainly not endorsing the Bible.

Quote 3. In the Quran I have read in numerous places where the authors of some of the Surahs claim that they gave the Jews the Book, or that they gave them mercy, or that for example the disciples of Jesus proclaimed themselves to be Muslims. How can all of these things be since Christianity and Judaism arose well before Islam?

First of all, there is only one author of the Quran, and that is Allah (swt).  If there were multiple authors, then we would see evidence of multiple styles of writing.  There is no such evidence. 

Second, the word "Muslim" simply means "one who submits to God".  Also, as I said before, Muhammad (peace be upon him) brought the same message to the pagan Arabs as the previous prophets had brought to their people, and that was pure monotheism.  Hence, all the prophets were Muslims in that regard.  Islam is not a new religion.  It is a continuation of the ancient and original religion of mankind.

I hope this helps you to gain a better understanding of Islam.   

Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

csmatyi View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csmatyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2014 at 7:13am
Hello Islamispeace,
Thanks for your kind words and your answers.

What I can think of is that in Revelation 22:9, it talks about John, the author of the Apocalypse bowing to an angel. The angel rebukes him telling him not to do that since he also is a creature.

Also, in the Quran that I have, it reads in Surah 2:87 that "we" gave Jesus the Holy Spirit. Who is this Holy Spirit? To me, as a Christian this is striking, because I would take this to be the Holy Spirit, the 3rd person of the Trinity.

I also have some more questions, I forgot to ask them from last time:

A. Surah 2:226-229: Divorce is permitted. But why? According to the Bible, God hates divorce. That is, what God created, man should not tear apart with his sin. This is because in Genesis, God created man husband and wife, and they shall be one flesh. Divorce is like tearing one body apart, it is sin.

B. A common recurring theme in the Qur'an is that man must earn his salvation through charity, etc. But at the same time I read so many times that according to the Qur'an God has mercy on who he pleases. What is the truth about God's mercy?

C. What does it mean that man was created from a clay, then from a drop of semen, then a clot of blood, then an embryo, and then had bones and flesh put on him? Where did the semen and blood come from?
NABA View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NABA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2014 at 2:19am

Assalamalecum,Allah says in ch 17 v 18,if someone wish for good in this world Allah would give him,if someone asks for hereafter Allah would give him(ch 17 v 19),Allah's bounties are open for all(ch 17 v 20).this is Allah's mercy which is for everyone it depends on us how we use it,eg Allah says Allah love doers of good eg in ch 77 v 44,ch 84 v 25,in ch 2 v 177 etc,if we do good in Sha Allah,Allah will reward us but its Allah's will how much he give in this world but in hereafter reward is due for righteous bcoz its promise of Allah(ch 33 v 35),answer to other Question see in ch 7 in which Allah says how he created prophet Adam(pbuh) and ordered angels to bow to him,moreover Allah is adressing to mankind in ch 49 v 13 that we all are from a single couple and Allah had divided us in different colours and regions so that we can recognise and love each other and the best among them is the one who posess taqwa I.e piouty,righteousness,God consciousness.Allah knows man than man himself,Allah knows that there might b difference of views in between husband and wife but if u read Qur'an Allah had put gr8 responsibility on man after divorce I.e he had to take care of woman if sheis pregnant,if wife is feeding the baby he had to take care.

Al Saadiqeen21 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Saadiqeen21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2014 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by csmatyi csmatyi wrote:

Dear Muslims,
I am a Christian with some questions for you about the Quran. I have read half of the Quran and by now the following questions have formulated in my mind:

1. Why is it so important for you that at the beginning of creation God made the angels bow down to Adam? By the way, is bowing not a sign of worship? If so, then why are creatures such as the angels worshiping another creature as though he would be a God?
2. The Quran mentions stories and scenes from the Bible quite abundantly, and refers to Jews and Christians as people of the Book. If so, does this mean that Islam accepts the Bible as a source of authority?
3. In the Quran I have read in numerous places where the authors of some of the Surahs claim that they gave the Jews the Book, or that they gave them mercy, or that for example the disciples of Jesus proclaimed themselves to be Muslims. How can all of these things be since Christianity and Judaism arose well before Islam?

Thank you, Matthew

Can you give the Chapter and Verse , where it states any of the Above ?
One doesn't go to school let His / her's mind to die , They go to school so that their mind will come alive .

Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2014 at 3:22pm
Hi Matthew.

Quote What I can think of is that in Revelation 22:9, it talks about John, the author of the Apocalypse bowing to an angel. The angel rebukes him telling him not to do that since he also is a creature.

For sure, Muslims would not prostrate to anyone other than God, but the episode with Adam (peace be upon him) was God's command to the angels.  It did not signify any worship but rather to obey God's command to show respect to Adam, in the same way that David's prostration to Saul was not an act of worship either.

Quote Also, in the Quran that I have, it reads in Surah 2:87 that "we" gave Jesus the Holy Spirit. Who is this Holy Spirit? To me, as a Christian this is striking, because I would take this to be the Holy Spirit, the 3rd person of the Trinity.

The Holy Spirit is the angel Gabriel (as).  It is not the 3rd person of the trinity.  Islam completely rejects the trinity and any attempts at deifying either Jesus (peace be upon him) or the Holy Spirit.

The Quran states that Jesus was strengthened by the Holy Spirit:

"We gave Moses the Book and followed him up with a succession of messengers; We gave Jesus the son of Mary Clear (Signs) and strengthened him with the holy spirit. Is it that whenever there comes to you a messenger with what ye yourselves desire not, ye are puffed up with pride?- Some ye called impostors, and others ye slay!" (Surah Al-Baqarah, 2:87)

This is important because in the Gospel of Luke, Jesus was "strengthened" by an angel as well:

"An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. 44 And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground." (Luke 22:43-44)

The only problem with these verses is that they are regarded as spurious due to the fact that they are not found in earlier manuscripts.

Quote A. Surah 2:226-229: Divorce is permitted. But why? According to the Bible, God hates divorce. That is, what God created, man should not tear apart with his sin. This is because in Genesis, God created man husband and wife, and they shall be one flesh. Divorce is like tearing one body apart, it is sin.

Actually, the New Testament does allow divorce in the case of marital infidelity (Matthew 5:32), so it is not completely prohibited.  How could it be a sin then?

Also, why would God prohibit divorce in other cases?  Wouldn't it be unfair and unjust to force two people who cannot get along and who do not love each other to stay together?  What about if a husband is abusive to his wife?  Does she not have the right to flee from him and secure a divorce?

Divorce is allowed in Islam, but it advises against it.  It should only be a last resort when all other options have been exhausted.  In fact, there is famous saying of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) which states:

"Among lawful things, divorce is most hated by Allah."

So, even though it is allowed as a practical necessity, it is highly discouraged.

Quote B. A common recurring theme in the Qur'an is that man must earn his salvation through charity, etc. But at the same time I read so many times that according to the Qur'an God has mercy on who he pleases. What is the truth about God's mercy?

Yes, God is merciful to whomsoever He pleases, based on his infinite wisdom and knowledge.  In Islam, we are always hopeful of Allah's mercy, even though our sins may be numerous.  The best way to earn His mercy is to shun evil deeds and embrace good deeds, such as charity.  Allah says in the Quran:

"Say: "O my Servants who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the mercy of Allah: for Allah forgives all sins: for He is oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Surah Az-Zumar, 39:53)

Quote C. What does it mean that man was created from a clay, then from a drop of semen, then a clot of blood, then an embryo, and then had bones and flesh put on him? Where did the semen and blood come from?

The creation from clay refers to the creation of Adam (peace be upon him), from whom we all came:

"He Who has made everything which He has created most good: He began the creation of man with (nothing more than) clay..." (Surah As-Sajda, 32:7)

The rest refers to the various stages of development in the womb.  We start as a "drop" (nutfa) and it goes from there:

"And made his progeny from a quintessence of the nature of a fluid despised..." (Surah As-Sajda, 32:8)

The phrase "clot of blood" can also mean "that which clings".  Some Muslim scholars have stated that this refers to the developing embryo which clings to the uterus.  Allah knows best.  
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

csmatyi View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csmatyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2014 at 10:23am
Dear Islaimispeace and others,

Thanks for your clarifications.

About David prostrating himself before Saul, let me just quickly add that we must read the Bible carefully, because just because something is written down in the Bible doesn't mean that the Bible condones it. So, David could have been bowing down before Saul in haste and error. Just as the angel states in Revelation that you must not bow down to a creature.

Now, let me go on to another point.
The reason I am interested in Adam and the angels, is because I have studied creation a great deal.

You might be familiar about the description of the creation of man and the fall into sin in the Bible. In fact, if I remember from Qur'an readings, the Qur'an mentions it as well.

What Christianity says about the Fall into sin is that when Adam ate of the tree of knowledge, he rebelled against God, breaking His commandment not to eat from the tree. Because Adam thought that he knew better than God and that it was okay. He doubted God's goodness and listened to the lie of Satan.

Thus Adam transitioned from a state of goodness and perfection to a fallen state of sin. Adam's relationship with God was broken just as God foretold: "if you eat of the tree then you shall surely die."

Let me point out a few things. The Bible says that 1. man has no good deeds, and that 2. man has to be perfect and holy. This is because God commands man to be holy just as He is holy. Because this is the way Adam was created, in God's image. This means that we have to be perfect, but yet, we are all sinners. The Bible says that if we can do good, but we don't do it, then we are guilty of sin. This is because doing good and following God's commandments are for humans mandatory, "default" behavior. The book of Isaiah says that our good deeds are filthy rags.

So, if we are sinners, and if we have no good deeds, and if we have to be holy like God, then we have no hope of salvation.

This is why we need to be saved, to have somebody die for our sins. According to the Old Testament, an eye must be given for an eye, and a tooth must be given for a tooth. We must recompense something for something. This is how God's justice works.

That is why it is important that Jesus Christ, Who had no sin, was judged by God, and died for our sins. The fact that Jesus Himself was sinless raises Him above other men. Prophets may have also performed miracles, but only Christ was unique in being perfect and Holy. Thus, in order to satisfy God's wrath, Jesus died for our sins. But, death could not conquer Him, and that is why He arose again on the third day.

That may have been a lot for now but thank you for bearing with me.
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2014 at 11:53am
Hi Matthew.

Quote About David prostrating himself before Saul, let me just quickly add that we must read the Bible carefully, because just because something is written down in the Bible doesn't mean that the Bible condones it. So, David could have been bowing down before Saul in haste and error. Just as the angel states in Revelation that you must not bow down to a creature.

But the Bible does not say that what he did was wrong.  He was never ostracized for prostrating to Saul. 

Quote Now, let me go on to another point.
The reason I am interested in Adam and the angels, is because I have studied creation a great deal.

You might be familiar about the description of the creation of man and the fall into sin in the Bible. In fact, if I remember from Qur'an readings, the Qur'an mentions it as well.

I am familiar with the story of the Fall.  I wrote an article about it on my blog.  You can read it here:

http://quranandbible.blogspot.com/2014/01/the-fall-of-adam-and-eve-in-bible-and.html

Quote What Christianity says about the Fall into sin is that when Adam ate of the tree of knowledge, he rebelled against God, breaking His commandment not to eat from the tree. Because Adam thought that he knew better than God and that it was okay. He doubted God's goodness and listened to the lie of Satan.

Thus Adam transitioned from a state of goodness and perfection to a fallen state of sin. Adam's relationship with God was broken just as God foretold: "if you eat of the tree then you shall surely die."

How can you say that "Adam thought that he knew better than God"?  Adam made a mistake, that is all.  We all make mistakes, but God is merciful.  According to the Quran, Adam and Eve repented of their sin and God forgave them.

Quote Let me point out a few things. The Bible says that 1. man has no good deeds, and that 2. man has to be perfect and holy. This is because God commands man to be holy just as He is holy. Because this is the way Adam was created, in God's image. This means that we have to be perfect, but yet, we are all sinners. The Bible says that if we can do good, but we don't do it, then we are guilty of sin. This is because doing good and following God's commandments are for humans mandatory, "default" behavior. The book of Isaiah says that our good deeds are filthy rags.

The Quran says the exact opposite.  It says that man should strive to do good and shun evil.  All good deeds that we do are for our own good and all evil we do is to our own detriment.  This is divine fairness and justice.  You have to earn salvation by believing in God and doing good deeds. 

But Islam also teaches that anyone who sins should not lose hope of God's mercy.  Instead, they should repent and strive to avoid sin in the future.  It also states that the best way to make up for a sin is to immediately follow it up with a good deed.  The good deed cancels out the bad deed. 

Quote So, if we are sinners, and if we have no good deeds, and if we have to be holy like God, then we have no hope of salvation.

I agree that if we have no good deeds, then salvation will be difficult to achieve.  However, faith will be the ultimate salvation.  A person can be a sinner yet still achieve salvation.  It will be up to God to decide if the person's intentions were pure and if his faith was genuine.  Of course, if a person who believed in God died with many bad deeds and few good deeds, then chances are the he will be punished in Hell for a time.  After that, if God wills it, he may be let out and given entrance to Paradise.   

Quote This is why we need to be saved, to have somebody die for our sins. According to the Old Testament, an eye must be given for an eye, and a tooth must be given for a tooth. We must recompense something for something. This is how God's justice works.

This wouldn't be justice.  How would having someone else die for what we did be just?  We are responsible for our own actions, not someone else. 

Quote That is why it is important that Jesus Christ, Who had no sin, was judged by God, and died for our sins. The fact that Jesus Himself was sinless raises Him above other men. Prophets may have also performed miracles, but only Christ was unique in being perfect and Holy. Thus, in order to satisfy God's wrath, Jesus died for our sins. But, death could not conquer Him, and that is why He arose again on the third day.

The claim that Jesus was sinless is a matter of interpretation.  According to the Gospels, Jesus allowed demons to possess some pigs and then drown in the sea.  Many people would consider that to be a case of animal cruelty.

The Gospels also claim that Jesus originally rejected a Gentile woman's pleas for help because she was not a Jew.  Would this not be considered sinful?  So, like I said, it's a matter of interpretation whether Jesus was actually sinless. 

What is clear is that Jesus was a man, just like all of us.  Therefore, how could he be sinless? 

I also wrote an article on Jesus on my blog:

http://quranandbible.blogspot.com/2014/02/jesus-in-bible-and-quran.html

Jesus prayed to God.  When he performed miracles, he stated that it was only through God's power.  When he fasted, he got hungry.  All of this proves that he was just a man, so how can anyone say that he was perfect?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic