IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Pillars of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Need help.. Fasting  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need help.. Fasting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ak_m_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help.. Fasting
    Posted: 27 October 2005 at 11:56pm
Salam,

I have a simple question, as u know its Ramzan. The thing is that I cant fast; I mean I really want to, but my metabloism is fast. I get hungry and I go to university too. Can someone tell me what to do?, how much moeny I have to pay IF i dont fast, can I have a makeup fast ? or if not is their any strategy taht I should adopt so I can fast ?
Abeer23 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abeer23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2005 at 7:15am

As salamu alaikum. Allah says:

2:185 Ramadhan is the (month) in which was sent down the Qur'an, as a guide to mankind, also clear (Signs) for guidance and judgment (Between right and wrong). So every one of you who is present (at his home) during that month should spend it in fasting, but if any one is ill, or on a journey, the prescribed period (Should be made up) by days later. Allah intends every facility for you; He does not want to put to difficulties. (He wants you) to complete the prescribed period, and to glorify Him in that He has guided you; and perchance ye shall be grateful.

Sister/brother, we all get hungry when we're fasting.  Don't worry you're not alone.  But fasting is ibadat (worship), so you can take comfort in knowing that you're being rewarded for it.  Remember, Allah tal'la has made our religion easy for us and has not placed on us a burden harder than we can bear.  Allah Says:

2:286 On no soul doth Allah Place a burden greater than it can bear. It gets every good that it earns, and it suffers every ill that it earns.........."

I'm not sure if you're eating suhoor.  But I find that when I eat a lot I tend to be hungrier during the day.  It's usually best to eat less for suhoor.   I get the feeling perhaps this is your first Ramadan.  If so, try to keep your phisical activities at a minimum until you've gotten used to fasting (i.e no sports, walking long distance etc).  May Allah bless you for your efforts.  And don't worry sister/brother fasting will get easier for you in sha allah.    Here's a useful dua (prayer)  for you:

2:286".....(Pray:) "Our Lord! Condemn us not if we forget or fall into error; our Lord! Lay not on us a burden Like that which Thou didst lay on those before us; Our Lord! Lay not on us a burden greater than we have strength to bear. Blot out our sins, and grant us forgiveness. Have mercy on us. Thou art our Protector; Help us against those who stand against faith."

Salaam

Deus View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2005 at 7:57am

Fasting itself is a physical and mental exercise, so you need to train yourself in it. I have friends in university who fast and study a lot without complaining. Some even fast and play sports (which is highly unrecommeded!). So it is do-able, you just need to train yourself at it.

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2005 at 9:07am

Assalamu alaikum ak_m_f,

It is too late for this year, but perhaps you might keep this in mind for next Ramadan.  What I did this year was to start cutting back on the amount of food I ate a full month before Ramadan came.  By halfway through the month I cut lunch out completely.  By the last week and a half I cut back a lot on the amount of water I drank.  I have found this Ramadan my easiest ever (food and drink wise), alhamdulillah!

Deus is very right in saying that fasting is a physical and mental exercise that you have to train yourself in.  Think of it like a marathon, you wouldn't just put on a pair of running shoes and run 10 km without training first, why would you go without food or water during daylight hours for a month with training first?

Another way to train yourself to fasting is to fast during the whole year, say one day a month, to start, then increase to 2 days, 3 days, then on to one day every week.  In doing this, fasting will get much easier for you and you will reap more spiritual rewards for it all through the year!

Being well trained at the fasting part leaves so much more room for spiritual grow during Ramadan.  Try it next year and see if it is a lot better for you!

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic