IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islamic INTRAfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hmmmmm!  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hmmmmm!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rehmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hmmmmm!
    Posted: 27 March 2005 at 6:24pm

The topic heading says - Islamic Interfaith Dialogue between Sunni, Shia, Sufi, Salafi, etc.

Correct me if I am wrong. There are two major sects within Muslim Ummah - Sunni (85%) and Shi'ites (15%). Then Suunis are divided into 35 sub-sects, while Shi'ites count for 37 sects. Salafis, Wahabbis, Deobandi, Ahl-e-Qur'an, etc. all consider themselves sunnis - while a sufi can be a Sunni or Shi'ite.

So who is talking to whom?

No offence.

Know your enemy!
No time to waste. Act now!
Tomorrow it will be too late
What You Don�t Know Can Kill You

Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2005 at 9:12pm

Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir rajeem,

Bismillah ir rahman ir rahim,

Assalamualaikum wa rahmatullah wa barkatuhu,

Originally posted by Rehmat Rehmat wrote:

So who is talking to whom?

Anyone can talk to anyone, as long as a decorum is maintained on the forum.

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
Rehmat View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rehmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2005 at 10:20am

No. That's not what I meant. I was merely keeping the facts straight - that except Shi'ites, every Muslim sectarian thinks that he/she is Sunni - including a Qadiani, or a Sufi

Personally, I never have stomach for any sectarian person or group. I participate on both Sunni and Shi'ite websites.

Wa Salaam

Know your enemy!

Aliya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aliya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2005 at 11:27am

and some shia subsects, like zaidis are closer to sunni than to mainstream shias (Shia Ithna Asheri), but for some reason they fall under the umbrella of shia rather than sunni

Rehmat View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rehmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2005 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Aliya Aliya wrote:

and some shia subsects, like zaidis are closer to sunni than to mainstream shias (Shia Ithna Asheri), but for some reason they fall under the umbrella of shia rather than sunni

I am afraid that's not true. Shi'itism is divided into two main sects - 12-Imami and Zaidi. The 7-Imami (Ismaili) are part of Zaidi.

On the other hand, both sunni sects - Hannafi and Maliki take Shi'ite's sixth Imam - Imam Ja'afar Sadiq as their Sunni Imam.

Know your enemy!

rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2005 at 6:19pm
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

assalamu alaikum

>>>Islamic Interfaith Dialogue<<<

It is called "Intrafaith" meaning of the same religion, I made the same mistake. The four madhabs are not a sect, neither are sufi's (traditional sufi's anyway).

Defanition of a sect in islam is a group who thinks they are correct while everyone out side there group is incorect ie munafiq,fasiq, kafir etc.
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
Rehmat View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rehmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2005 at 4:29am

Originally posted by rami rami wrote:

Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

assalamu alaikum

>>>Islamic Interfaith Dialogue<<<

It is called "Intrafaith" meaning of the same religion, I made the same mistake. The four madhabs are not a sect, neither are sufi's (traditional sufi's anyway).

Defanition of a sect in islam is a group who thinks they are correct while everyone out side there group is incorect ie munafiq,fasiq, kafir etc.

I disagree.

There are several Haddiths which mentions division of Ummah into 72 or so, sects.

The word "Madhab" has different meanings in different languages - for example in Persian and Urdu, it means 'religion'.

The 'four' are not 'madhabs', but "Schools of Fiqah (Jurisdiction)" - the fifth being "Fiqah-e-Ja'afariah".

As I posted earlier - Sufi could belong to Shi'ite or Sunni denomination of Islam. Historically, it were the Sufi Safvid dynasty, which converted Sunni majority into a minority in Iran, over a few centuries ago.

Know your enemy!

Mustafaa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustafaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2005 at 7:10am
Originally posted by Rehmat Rehmat wrote:

No. That's not what I meant. I was merely keeping the facts straight - that except Shi'ites, every Muslim sectarian thinks that he/she is Sunni - including a Qadiani, or a Sufi

Personally, I never have stomach for any sectarian person or group. I participate on both Sunni and Shi'ite websites.

Wa Salaam

Since you discriminate against neither the so-called Sunnis nor the so-called Shiites, I think you agree with the purpose of this part of the IslamiCity forum. It's to develop friendly and brotherly interaction among Muslims.

Sufis are generally Sunnis, as far as I know. Are the Safawis really deemed a Sufi group? When they first appeared in the political stage, they believed in a non-mainstream Shiite branch. Later they adopted mainstream Twelver (Imaami) Shi'ism and spread it in Iran. The Safawis were originally Turks, and their early understanding of Shiism was affected by pre-Islamic Shamanistic beliefs of the Turks. As I have said just now, they later adopted mainstream Twelver Shiism.

There is no deity but Allah. Muhammad is the (last) Messenger of Allah.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
  Share Topic