IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islamic INTRAfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hmmmmm!  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hmmmmm!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Abu Hadi View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Hadi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2005 at 7:48am

Salams to br. Jello and others,

Quoting Br. Jello

I wanted to point out that had Verse 4:59 been revealed with respect to Ali and Hasan and Husayn as the Ul' il' Amr, then what is the reason for us to refer matters back to "Allah and His Messenger", if the Imaams are infallible in every respect ??? Thus, if they are infalible just like the Messenger, why the need for the extra phrase: "then if you quarrel about anything, refer it to Allah and the Apostle, if you believe in Allah and the last day; this is better and very good in the end" ???

Here is a good explaination of this verse from a shia perspective. They have explained it better than I could, so I have included this link

http://forum.shiasource.com/board/index.php?showtopic=1490

Now also, we need to see about this supposed statement from Imaam as-Sadiq. It presupposes that the Quran does not mention the specific things about the religion, but rather leaves this tihngs out for the Ahadeeth. Now:

1. The Quraanic words "salat", "zakat", "siyam", and "hajj" appear many more times than the word "Imaam" or any other similar terminology. Also, the explanation provided in the Quraan itself  about these aspects is much more lenghty than it is about "Imaamah", even though one would would expect it to be the other way around if Shiism was indeed being taught by Allah in the Quraan.

2. According to some of the Shia Ahadeeth, Imaamah is much more important that all these other issues. As I see it, this is because the belief in Imaamah is an Usul-e-Deen, while prayer, fasting, pilgrimage, and so on are Furu-e-Din...

So I cannot see how this similitude can be made. It is like saying that the Quraan did not mention how many deities there are and it only said you should "worship something", but the Ahadeeth said that Allah should be worshipped and that He is One. There would be a wild number of "Islaamic sects" each with competing numbers and names of deities, since each would interpret the issue differently (and who could blame them, if the Holy Book they agree on is not clear about the matter ???)

Yes, but the Quran does mention , over and over again, (also the bible and the Torah mention over 100 times) that God is One, unique, without partner or peer, etc. It is true that there are many sects in Islam, but none that I know of worship more than one God. As you know, the Quran is explicit about some issues, and implicit about others.

Think about it for a second, the beauty of the Quran lies in its use of few words, ie. explaining so much by using so little words. Even many Western Scholars such as Gibbon and George Bernard Shaw acknowledge that the Quran excels all similar works written in the West in it's beauty and elogance of language. For the Quran to explain all the technical details of the religious duties would be repetative. The Quran says ' Obey Allah, The Messenger, and Ul il Amr'. This is an explicit and unconditional statement, not open for interpretation. This instruction should be enough for us. If the dispute is about, 'Who is Ul' il' Amr', then this is a legitimate quesiton, and InShahAllah we can discuss it further, although I think the link above explains most of it. I think this explaination should address your other points. If not, let me know, I will have some more time to post tomorrow. Salams,

jello View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2005 at 12:09am

Salaam Alaykum

Regarding the declaration of Surah al-Taubah, I don't believe that the Shia point of view is that Imam Ali (a.s.) was sent because of some particular error or oversight by Abu Bakr, but rather it related to the following,

�Al� is from me and I am from him. My words will not be conveyed except by me or by �Al�.'

Which is in Ibn Hanbal�s Musnad published in 6 volumes by Matba�ah al-Maymaniyyah, vol. 4, pp. 164-165, 1st edition, Egypt, 1313 AH.

Considering that this is the viewpoint of Ali Zaki, we would need to consider the following:

1. Suffice to say that in other occasions, the Prophet used the phrase "He is from me and I am from him" with respect to other Companions or tribes as well. Perhaps these appear in the Musnad Ibn Hanbal as well, so I am not sure how there can be an exact privilege for Ali based on the first part of the Hadeeth

2. The second portion says about the words of the Prophet, in this case the Quraan.

I would like to ask:

1. Is there any other occassion when Ali was charged with conveying Ayats or Surahs of the Quraan in the same way as was the case here?
2. Even in the case brought forward, we still would have to admit that Ali was not endowed with the commandership of the Hujjaj, and his being sent was specific in nature, related to proclaiming Surah al-Taubah only. If there is some disagreement on this, perhaps we can look into it.

"Burayrah (Aslam�) has related:

The Prophet (S) dispatched two regiments towards Yemen, one under the command of (Imam) �Al� bin Ab� T�lib [(�a)] and the other led by Kh�lid bin Wal�d with instructions that when the two regiments are with each other they should be under the sole command of (Imam) �Al� [(�a)], and when they are separate they will remain under different commanders. We the Muslim forces, encountered the Yemeni tribe of Ban� Zayd and fought and defeated these infidels. When their men had died fighting, the families surrendered and from among the captives, (Imam) �Al� [(�a)] chose a maid for himself.

Burayrah continues:

Kh�lid bin Wal�d sent me to the Prophet with a letter informing him of this matter. I submitted the letter to the Prophet and when he had read it I saw signs of anger appear on his face. I said:

O Messenger of Allah (S), you sent me with a man instructing me to obey him, and accordingly I performed whatever duty I was ordered to do.

The Messenger of Allah (S) said:

L� taqa� f� �Al�yyin fa innahu minn� wa ana minhu wa huwa waliyyukum ba�d� wa innahu minn� wa ana minhu wa huwa waliyyukum ba�d� (Don't try to find faults with �Al�, he is indeed from me and I am from him, he is your leader after me. He is from me and I am from him, he is your leader after me).

Ibn Hanbal�s Musnad, vol. 5, 356, Matba�ah al-Maymaniyyah.

Now, for this I would like to point out the following:

1. When was the time of this incident of Ali being sent to Yemen ??? It will be of importance once we agree on it.

2. Do Ali Zaki or Abu Hadi have the Arabic edition of the Ibn Hanbal Musnad being quoted ? I consider it highly unlikely that all the wording as presented would be accepted as Saheeeh by Imaam Ahmad ibn Hanbal considering that a) He is one of the four founders of the Sunni schools of thought and b) He has many Ahadeeth in the Musnad that would obviously contradict this narration's last portion.

Insha Allah I will myself try to find a brother who has it, so that we may clarify the issue.

"In the expedition of Tabuk (in the month of Rajab of the ninth year A.H.) the Prophet left 'A1i as his deputy in Medina. 'Ali exclaimed with dismay: "Are You leaving me behind?" The Prophet asked him: "O 'Ali, are you not satisfied that you have the same position in relation to me as Harun had to Musa except that there is no prophet after me? "

"The Prophet thereby meant that as Musa had left behind Harun to look after his people when he went to receive the Commandments, in the same way he was leaving 'Ali behind as his deputy to look after the affairs of Islam during his absence. "

So the issue about leaving Ali in Madeenah has been brought up before, and I mentioned about Haroon and Musa also, so I do not think repeating it would be good. However, one of the previous questions I had asked was: What were the appointments the Prophet made during his expedition to Tabuk and his return to Madeenah from that expedition ???

O ye who believe! Obey Allah and obey the Apostle and those vested with authority from among you(Ulu L'Amr); then if you quarrel about anything, refer it to Allah and the Apostle, if you believe in Allah and the last day; this is better and very good in the end (4:59).

al-Imam Ja'far as-Sadiq (as) said that this verse was revealed about 'Ali ibn Abi Talib, Hasan and Husayn (as) . Upon hearing this, someone asked the Imam: "People say, 'Why did Allah not mention the names of 'Ali and his family in His Book?'"

The Imam answered: "Tell them that there came the command of salat (prayer), but Allah did not mention whether three or four raka'at (units) (to be performed); it was the Apostle of Allah who explained all the details. And (the command of ) zakat was revealed, but Allah did not say that it is one in every forty dirham; it was the Apostle of Allah who explained it; and hajj (pilgrimage to Mecca) was ordered but Allah did not say to perform tawaf ( circumambulation of the Ka'bah) seven times the Apostle of Allah explained it. Likewise, the verse was revealed: Obey Allah, and obey the Apostle and those vested with authority from among you, and it was revealed about 'A1i and Hasan and Husayn (as).

I wanted to point out that had Verse 4:59 been revealed with respect to Ali and Hasan and Husayn as the Ul' il' Amr, then what is the reason for us to refer matters back to "Allah and His Messenger", if the Imaams are infallible in every respect ??? Thus, if they are infalible just like the Messenger, why the need for the extra phrase: "then if you quarrel about anything, refer it to Allah and the Apostle, if you believe in Allah and the last day; this is better and very good in the end" ???

Now also, we need to see about this supposed statement from Imaam as-Sadiq. It presupposes that the Quran does not mention the specific things about the religion, but rather leaves this tihngs out for the Ahadeeth. Now:

1. The Quraanic words "salat", "zakat", "siyam", and "hajj" appear many more times than the word "Imaam" or any other similar terminology. Also, the explanation provided in the Quraan itself  about these aspects is much more lenghty than it is about "Imaamah", even though one would would expect it to be the other way around if Shiism was indeed being taught by Allah in the Quraan.

2. According to some of the Shia Ahadeeth, Imaamah is much more important that all these other issues. As I see it, this is because the belief in Imaamah is an Usul-e-Deen, while prayer, fasting, pilgrimage, and so on are Furu-e-Din...

So I cannot see how this similitude can be made. It is like saying that the Quraan did not mention how many deities there are and it only said you should "worship something", but the Ahadeeth said that Allah should be worshipped and that He is One. There would be a wild number of "Islaamic sects" each with competing numbers and names of deities, since each would interpret the issue differently (and who could blame them, if the Holy Book they agree on is not clear about the matter ???)

3. Actually the Sunni objection is not with respect to the naming of people or lack of it, but that there is no consistency between the Quraanic explanation of the term Imaam and the Shia theological viewpoint of this concept. A simple example is with reference to Verse 4:59 itself, although other issues can also be seen if studied carefully.

Ali Zaki View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ali Zaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2005 at 7:08am

Salam Jello,

I would like to say that your attention to detail and staying on topic is refresing .

Regarding the declaration of Surah al-Taubah, I don't believe that the Shia point of view is that Imam Ali (a.s.) was sent because of some particular error or oversight by Abu Bakr, but rather it related to the following,

�Al� is from me and I am from him. My words will not be conveyed except by me or by �Al�.'

Which is in Ibn Hanbal�s Musnad published in 6 volumes by Matba�ah al-Maymaniyyah, vol. 4, pp. 164-165, 1st edition, Egypt, 1313 AH.

OTHER OCCASIONS WHERE IMAM ALI WAS APPOINTED TO REPRESENT THE PROPHET

Again, from Ahmad ibn Hanbal

"Burayrah (Aslam�) has related:

The Prophet (S) dispatched two regiments towards Yemen, one under the command of (Imam) �Al� bin Ab� T�lib [(�a)] and the other led by Kh�lid bin Wal�d with instructions that when the two regiments are with each other they should be under the sole command of (Imam) �Al� [(�a)], and when they are separate they will remain under different commanders. We the Muslim forces, encountered the Yemeni tribe of Ban� Zayd and fought and defeated these infidels. When their men had died fighting, the families surrendered and from among the captives, (Imam) �Al� [(�a)] chose a maid for himself.

Burayrah continues:

Kh�lid bin Wal�d sent me to the Prophet with a letter informing him of this matter. I submitted the letter to the Prophet and when he had read it I saw signs of anger appear on his face. I said:

O Messenger of Allah (S), you sent me with a man instructing me to obey him, and accordingly I performed whatever duty I was ordered to do.

The Messenger of Allah (S) said:

L� taqa� f� �Al�yyin fa innahu minn� wa ana minhu wa huwa waliyyukum ba�d� wa innahu minn� wa ana minhu wa huwa waliyyukum ba�d� (Don't try to find faults with �Al�, he is indeed from me and I am from him, he is your leader after me. He is from me and I am from him, he is your leader after me).

Ibn Hanbal�s Musnad, vol. 5, 356, Matba�ah al-Maymaniyyah.

REGARDING THE EXPEDITION OF TABUK

Please refer to the sources for the interpretation, as this is also in quotation marks.

"In the expedition of Tabuk (in the month of Rajab of the ninth year A.H.) the Prophet left 'A1i as his deputy in Medina. 'Ali exclaimed with dismay: "Are You leaving me behind?" The Prophet asked him: "O 'Ali, are you not satisfied that you have the same position in relation to me as Harun had to Musa except that there is no prophet after me? "

"The Prophet thereby meant that as Musa had left behind Harun to look after his people when he went to receive the Commandments, in the same way he was leaving 'Ali behind as his deputy to look after the affairs of Islam during his absence. "

SOURCES: Ibn Majah: as-Sunan, p.l2; Ahmad: al-Musnad, vol. 1, p. 174; an-Nasa'i: al-Khasa'is, pp. I5-16; atTahawi: Mushkilu 'l-athar, vol. 2, p. 309; al-Muhibb at-Tabari: Dhakhatiru 'l-'uqba, p.63.

Ironically, The Shia scholars use this tradition as proof of Imam Ali's(a.s.) nomination as the successor of the Prophet(a.s.).

A MORE GENERAL POINT REGARDING THE OBLIGATION OF OBIEDIENCE TO IMAM ALI

Here, I am using a Shia source, however, I quote it because I know that some (if not most) Sunni's consider the Jafari 'Mathab to be legitimate and valid.

O ye who believe! Obey Allah and obey the Apostle and those vested with authority from among you(Ulu L'Amr); then if you quarrel about anything, refer it to Allah and the Apostle, if you believe in Allah and the last day; this is better and very good in the end (4:59).

al-Imam Ja'far as-Sadiq (as) said that this verse was revealed about 'Ali ibn Abi Talib, Hasan and Husayn (as) . Upon hearing this, someone asked the Imam: "People say, 'Why did Allah not mention the names of 'Ali and his family in His Book?'"

The Imam answered: "Tell them that there came the command of salat (prayer), but Allah did not mention whether three or four raka'at (units) (to be performed); it was the Apostle of Allah who explained all the details. And (the command of ) zakat was revealed, but Allah did not say that it is one in every forty dirham; it was the Apostle of Allah who explained it; and hajj (pilgrimage to Mecca) was ordered but Allah did not say to perform tawaf ( circumambulation of the Ka'bah) seven times the Apostle of Allah explained it. Likewise, the verse was revealed: Obey Allah, and obey the Apostle and those vested with authority from among you, and it was revealed about 'A1i and Hasan and Husayn (as). 

SOURCE: al-'Ayyashi: at-Tafsir, vol. 1, pp.249-50; Fayd al-Kashani: at-Tafsir (as-Safi), vol.1, p.364.

Maybe Abu Hadi can expand on this list.

Salam 

"The structure of faith is supported by four pillars endurance, conviction, justice and jihad."

Imam Ali (a.s.)
jello View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2005 at 11:58pm

Salaam

So let us start first with the battle of Tabuk... it is well-known that Ali (Raa) was left behind by the Prophet to take care of the city of Madeenah in his abscence. So the Prophet must have appointed someone as the standard-bearer from amomg his Companions, as well as leaders to other posts during the preparation for the confrontation.... so who were they ??? 

Abu Hadi View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Hadi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2005 at 6:48am

Salams,

Quoting Br. Jello

Additionaly, I would like for all of us to go through all the appointments the Prophet (SAW)  made in his life, since they would give us an insight into what the Prophet's preferences were as a whole

I also belive we should do this. Al Hamdu Ilah, we agree on something.

jello View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2005 at 3:38am

Salaam

I wanted to quickly mention that the site at islamonline says as the title that Abu Bakr led the first Hajj at A.H.9 (Abu HAdi can check this). Also, it mentions that Ali came only to declare Surah al-Taubah, and not as a commander to replace Abu Bakr, and it says so very clearly.

Additionaly, I would like for all of us to go through all the appointments the Prophet (SAW)  made in his life, since they would give us an insight into what the Prophet's preferences were as a whole.

Abu Hadi View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Hadi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2005 at 6:36pm

Here is another example,

In the ninth year after Hijrah, following the Prophet�s return from the battle of Tabuk, he (the Prophet) appointed Abu Bakr to lead three hundred Muslims so as to instruct them rituals of Hajj. Abu Bakr set off to Makkah with those accompanying him; he then proclaimed in people the Prophet�s advice that polytheists are no longer allowed to perform Hajj after this year and no naked person is allowed to perform the Tawaf around the Ka`bah.

Here is the scholarly source for this,

Al-Bukhari reported on the authority of Hamid Ibn `Abdur Rahman that Abu Hurairah (may Allah be pleased with him) said, �On the Day of Nahr (10th of Dhul-Hijjah, in the year prior to the Farewell Pilgrimage of the Prophet when Abu Bakr was the leader of the pilgrims in that Hajj) Abu Bakr sent me along with other announcers to Mina to make a public announcement, �No pagan is allowed to perform Hajj after this year and no naked person is allowed to perform the Tawaf around the Ka`bah.� Then Allah's Messenger sent `Ali to read out Surat Bara�ah (At-Tawbah) to the people; so he made the announcement along with us on the Day of Nahr in Mina, �No pagan is allowed to perform Hajj after this year and no naked person is allowed to perform the Tawaf around the Ka`bah.�"

taken from http://www.islamonline.net/English/hajj/Landmarks/1425/09.sh tml

I will post more, If the brs and strs need more proof

Abu Hadi View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Hadi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2005 at 6:14pm

Here is another, about the same incident, again from Sahih Bukhari

Volume 4, Book 52, Number 219c:

Narrated Salama bin Al-Akwa:

Ali remained behind the Prophet during the battle of Khaibar as he way suffering from some eye trouble but then he said, "How should I stay behind Allah's Apostle?" So, he set out till he joined the Prophet. On the eve of the day of the conquest of Khaibar, Allah's Apostle said, "(No doubt) I will give the flag or, tomorrow, a man whom Allah and His Apostle love or who loves Allah and His apostle will take the flag. Allah will bestow victory upon him." Suddenly 'Ali joined us though we were not expecting him. The people said, "Here is 'Ali. "So, Allah's Apostle gave the flag to him and Allah bestowed victory upon him.

Edited by Abu Hadi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
  Share Topic