IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Homosexuality and Islam  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Homosexuality and Islam

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Homosexuality and Islam
    Posted: 20 August 2013 at 10:15pm
Assalamualaikum everyone,

I am a 16 year old boy, and I am very conflicted on what to think of the issue of Homosexuality and society. This is an issue that has become nearly impossible to ignore, as I am growing up in a western world, in a fairly liberal area. I know about the Story of Lut and Sodom. I understand that Islam says that it is a Sin. Although, I still have many questions that I hope, inshallah, will be answered. [IMG]smileys/smiley1.gif" align="middle" />

1. There has been many times in the news where it has said that being gay is genetic (i.e. not a choice) and everywhere I look, it seems as if it is true, why would someone choose to go through all the pain associated with being gay? So, here is my real question #1, If it is in fact genetic, how does this issue interact with Islam? Is it the action that is condemned, not the condition? Is it an abnormality (defect/disease)?

2. Going off of the last question, if it is in fact a disease/genetic, is it legitimate for Islam to single this out as a sin? Isn't it wrong to say that the affliction they have makes them a sin? It is like the equivalent of saying Autism is a sin. It seems wrong to me, and has caused a lot of stress and confusion for me. I am hoping inshallah, that one of you can clear my confusion up for me [IMG]smileys/smiley4.gif" align="middle" />

3. Being Muslims, how should we treat/view people who are gay or homosexual? Should we avoid them? Treat them just the same as anyone else? I have heard some people say that we should hate them/bully them, because they are sinful.

4. Dealing with the political side of this issue, if someone asks me what I think about Marriage Equality, what should I say? As of right now, I oppose it, because I don't think it is natural (an abnormality in fact). Very specifically, what should my position be? (Don't just say oppose or support it, but why should I?)

5. This issue seems so similar to many other issues in the past, like the civil rights movements, gender equality, Islamaphobia [IMG]smileys/smiley2.gif" align="middle" />, and many other social issues. I know that Islam says that no matter the race/country/type of person, we are all equal. And my gut feeling is that just like the previous issues like this one, I should be supporting the minority that is being oppressed. Although, Islam tells me that they are wrongful and that we should not support them, so how is this issue different/similar than the previous issues with Racism/Nationalism/Discrimination??

One last note, I am not trying to attack Islam or anyone here, I am just here to find answers from those who may know more than me. I have struggled with trying to be a faithful Muslim. at the same timeI am very confused, and it has caused me to start doubting the legitimacy or justness of Islam, I am very sad to say. I came here, because I knew I could ask these questions without people looking down on me as a person. Please answer these with an honest thought. Anything anyone has to say is appreciated, and Inshallah, may Allah (Sup.) bless anyone who helps me   
Jazakallah Khair [IMG]smileys/smiley4.gif" align="middle" />

Edited by Wasab - 20 August 2013 at 10:15pm
NABA View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NABA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2013 at 8:55am
Walecum As Salaam brother,homosexuality is not at all genetic,its more like pschycological disorder,in Qur'an in Surah Al Araf ch 7 v 80-84,Allah describes that how the sinners were punished due to this sin,moreover brother have U ever noticed y Allah forbids homosexuality,if U do research then we came to know that this sin is the root of diseases such as AIDS,kaposi sarcoma,painful lesions in genital tract,moreover if U consider yourself as a Muslim one of the signs of Allah is the attraction to each other between opposite sex,Allah mention this in ch 30 v 21.that's y Allah necessities hijab or viel on women and order men to lower the gaze whenever they see non permissible women I.e namehram.Allah says this in ch 24 v 30-31,so brother unless an individual is suffering from a disease if he is normal he should attract towards a woman otherwise he is rejecting sign of Allah.moreover many governments are way away from shariah,don't follow all the rules,for eg u R from u.s. I m aware that sex before or outside marriage  is a norm in your country,but do u know what Qur'an says,Allah forbids this sin in ch 17 v 32,in fact Allah describes the punishment of this sin as 100 lashes in ch 24 v 2.so friend I advise u to read Qur'an in translation u will get all ur answers.Allahfiz.

Edited by NABA - 22 August 2013 at 8:55am
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2013 at 12:58pm
Wasab, welcome!

1. I believe that effeminate characteristics in a male, or conversely, masculine traits in a female, could very well be argued on the basis of genetics or birth, however �gay� or homosexuality is an action, or choice, thus an active learned behavior having no genetic predisposition.

2. Ethics, morals, and religious doctrine are mostly faith based, and believed to spring from what God wants of human behavior on earth, therefore if we believe in our given religion, and that religion says this practice is a sin, one is simply following the commands and prohibitions of his given faith.

3. We should treat all fellow humans with respect and kindness, and especially if they have not transgressed upon us and have treated us with respect and kindness.
4. You should say what you believe to be ethically and morally correct.

5. In my opinion it is a complete false analogy to compare this issue with race or gender, whereby one hasn�t the ability to change his color or gender, and compare it to sexual preference.

Lastly, Islam is certainly not the only religion that forbids homosexuality, nor is this practice only disliked by people of faith based religions.
anisafatima View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anisafatima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2013 at 2:16am
Salam,

"Must ye needs lust after men instead of women ? Nay, but ye are folk who act senselessly."(27 Surat-un-Namal . Aayat55)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic