IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Canada's shameful silence on Egypt  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Canada's shameful silence on Egypt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Canada's shameful silence on Egypt
    Posted: 14 August 2013 at 6:32am
In another show of brutality and bloodthirstiness, the Egyptian army moved against Muslim Brotherhood demonstrators camped out in Cairo, calling for the return of the country's democratically elected president. The army used teargas, rubber bullets, as well as live ammunition.

An Al Jazeera reporter at the scene counted 94 bodies, making laughable the government's claim that only 13 people died. According to the MB, hundreds of people were killed.

Some of the demonstrators defended themselves, and it seems that 8 members of the security forces died during their homicidal rampage.

There has been condemnation from countries in the middle east and Europe at the killings.

Global condemnation against Egypt violence - Middle East - Al Jazeera English

As a Canadian, I am ashamed by my government's silence, and the fact that Canada has not cut off all military and political ties with the murderers. We do not care about democracy in the middle east, and the shameful silence from Ottawa as a military regime is gunning down its own citizens in the street makes our claims to care about human rights across the world a sad joke.

May God bring justice and peace to the people of Egypt. May the murderers, and all across the world who support them, repent and stop their actions. May they turn to Christ for mercy and forgiveness. The blood of their victims cries out. And even if the world ignores it, God does not.
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2013 at 3:13am
You don't seem to have a clue how dangerous a movement like the Muslim Brotherhood is. Morsi doesn't support democracy and open debate. He began dismantling democracy with the ultimate goal of establishing a totalitarian theocracy. Have you heard of Sayyid Qutb?

A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2013 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by Matt Browne Matt Browne wrote:

You don't seem to have a clue how dangerous a movement like the Muslim Brotherhood is. Morsi doesn't support democracy and open debate. He began dismantling democracy with the ultimate goal of establishing a totalitarian theocracy. Have you heard of Sayyid Qutb?

I have heard of Sayyid Qutb, and I am not a defender of the Muslim Brotherhood. They won the elections in Egypt but while they were in power, did abuse those who didn't agree with them and under their rule, harrassment of Christians in Egypt intensified. This does not change the fact that the actions of Egypt's army... the mass shootings of demonstrators, beatings, torture... are complete unjustified and evil. The world failed for the most part to denounce these atrocities, and our countries maintain ties with the junta, and support it. That is shameful and despicable and wrong.
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2013 at 3:10pm
To me, the situation is very simple.  I don't care how horrible the Muslim Brotherhood is -- they are the duly elected government of Egypt, as chosen by a majority of the electorate.  If you believe in democracy, then by definition you believe that the proper response to a bad government is to vote them out -- not to overthrow them in a military coup.

If Morsi had refused to allow an election, or had refused to accept defeat at the ballot box, then that would be a different matter entirely.  But you have to at least give due process a chance before you resort to violence.
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2013 at 5:45am
I disagree, Ron and TG12345. Duly elected governments, which start to dismantle democracy, lose their legitimacy and can be removed before a new election.

I wish the Germany military had done this in 1933, when Hitler started dismantling democracy after being elected into office. It would have saved the lives of 6 million Jews and dozens of millions of other victims of WWII.

The Muslim Brotherhood ideals are a modern form of fascism.

Edited by Matt Browne - 18 October 2013 at 5:47am
A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2013 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by Matt Browne Matt Browne wrote:

I disagree, Ron and TG12345. Duly elected governments, which start to dismantle democracy, lose their legitimacy and can be removed before a new election.

Who decides whether a government has lost its legitimacy?  The army?  A street mob?  The minority parties?

Quote I wish the Germany military had done this in 1933, when Hitler started dismantling democracy after being elected into office. It would have saved the lives of 6 million Jews and dozens of millions of other victims of WWII.

Hitler was extraordinarily popular until the start of the war, and even after that it is debatable whether he would not have had the support of the majority of Germans.

Quote The Muslim Brotherhood ideals are a modern form of fascism.

They are a form of theocracy, I'll give you that; but my impression is that a majority of Egyptians want a theocracy. 

Whether Morsi's government was fascist is a matter of opinion and of definition, I suppose, but IMHO he wasn't even in power long enough to say.  I keep asking: what did he actually do to deserve such a label?
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
anna121 View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anna121 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2013 at 2:10am
Fascism has to forget
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic