IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - One Day  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

One Day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2013 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by abuayisha abuayisha wrote:

Originally posted by Andy Andy wrote:

Greetings

We have all been deceived by our leaders and politicians.

Andy, welcome! Please share with us a few examples of how we have all been deceived by our leaders and politicians.

I think the true challenge is to find a society that has not been deceived by their leadership. I think the current state of our world proves this point. There are wars around the world. And why? Why are we fighting? For land? Resources? Power? Control?

When we can come to the understanding and agreement that all people are created equal (this is the difficult part...not everyone believes this) and deserve the full respect of each other, then everything else will fall into place. When we have respect, we can begin to know. When we know, we can begin to understand. And when we understand, we can begin to love.

None of our cultures are innocent in these wars. But it has to stop somewhere. It has to stop with someone.

I can see it...maybe it's in Egypt or Syria. Maybe Israel or Saudi Arabia. Muslim, Jewish, and Christian children playing together. Their parents sharing a meal and talking.

I have seen small examples of this in my travels. When I was in Bosnia during the war in the Balkans, I saw Muslim Bosnians living with Christian Serbs and Croats. They knew nothing else. They loved each other. The ones driving the ethnic violence were the ones in power. They used religion to fuel the fire, but when people were left alone to simply live their lives, that's exactly what they did. I was able to witness Muslims and Christians who were technically at war, have coffee together and share stories of their lives together.

I personally have enjoyed many relationships with Muslims at the University. One of my best friends was a young Muslim woman. She would tell me about how her fianc� lived in Dubai and how much she missed him. She would tell me stories of her family and their time together, the meals they made, the fun they had. So wonderful to have enjoyed that connection with another person.

When it's all said and done, all that matters is people taking care of people. Any leader who demands we discriminate our care based on faith, color of skin, or national origin is deceiving us. Would a thirsty Jew not take water from a Muslim? Would a cold Muslim not accept shelter from a Jew? Would any of us deny the others' right to practice our beliefs? The hatred has to stop. The healing has to begin.   
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2013 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by Andy Andy wrote:

I think the true challenge is to find a society that has not been deceived by their leadership. I think the current state of our world proves this point. There are wars around the world. And why? Why are we fighting? For land? Resources? Power? Control?

When we can come to the understanding and agreement that all people are created equal (this is the difficult part...not everyone believes this) and deserve the full respect of each other, then everything else will fall into place. When we have respect, we can begin to know. When we know, we can begin to understand. And when we understand, we can begin to love.

None of our cultures are innocent in these wars. But it has to stop somewhere. It has to stop with someone.

I can see it...maybe it's in Egypt or Syria. Maybe Israel or Saudi Arabia. Muslim, Jewish, and Christian children playing together. Their parents sharing a meal and talking.

I have seen small examples of this in my travels. When I was in Bosnia during the war in the Balkans, I saw Muslim Bosnians living with Christian Serbs and Croats. They knew nothing else. They loved each other. The ones driving the ethnic violence were the ones in power. They used religion to fuel the fire, but when people were left alone to simply live their lives, that's exactly what they did. I was able to witness Muslims and Christians who were technically at war, have coffee together and share stories of their lives together.

I personally have enjoyed many relationships with Muslims at the University. One of my best friends was a young Muslim woman. She would tell me about how her fianc� lived in Dubai and how much she missed him. She would tell me stories of her family and their time together, the meals they made, the fun they had. So wonderful to have enjoyed that connection with another person.

When it's all said and done, all that matters is people taking care of people. Any leader who demands we discriminate our care based on faith, color of skin, or national origin is deceiving us. Would a thirsty Jew not take water from a Muslim? Would a cold Muslim not accept shelter from a Jew? Would any of us deny the others' right to practice our beliefs? The hatred has to stop. The healing has to begin.   

Beautifully said, Andy.  This is what I keep hope for... belief in people... the everyday people, to have love and care for one another and put aside foolish controversies.  It is why I come here to talk with one another.

Edited by Caringheart - 28 August 2013 at 10:10pm
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
iec786 View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iec786 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2013 at 12:04pm
Hi Andy,
I would like you to watch these videos and it will help to heal the wounds.http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL34D7D3F8288B4E83
Andy View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2013 at 10:23pm
I wanted to let you know that I've begun watching the series of videos. I would be very happy to begin a dialogue with you regarding the information when I am done.

An important item to think about is that Jews, like Muslims, have differences of opinions on many topics between the major branches of Judaism. I am a Reform Jew, so my opinion will vary on certain topics from those of the Orthodox discipline. Having said that, my responses may be different than you'd expect. As much trouble as the Muslims have with the Jews (the Jews in power) in Israel, many other Jews suffer from them as well. My dearest friend's wife was stoned in Israel 12 years ago. And she's a Jew. Why? Because she was a blonde-headed non-Orthodox Jew. So, as you can imagine, we both share a struggle.

I can say that from the first two videos, I like this man. Although I disagree with a few historical facts he quoted (honestly, they are insignificant to our discussion), I completely understand his point so far.

The bottom line is simply that we, all of God's children, have to stop fighting and start loving. I don't know how to make this happen on a large-scale basis. But I do know how to on a small-scale. And it's by doing exactly what you and I are doing. Simply talking. After we talk some, we'll begin to understand, then we'll begin to care about what the other is saying, then respect comes, then love can begin. It's such a simple idea. So sad our people have to complicate it.

Have a great week...talk to you soon.

Andy
iec786 View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iec786 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2013 at 10:04am
Hi Andy,It would be good to discuss the situation in the middle east and Israel.All we need to do is be human and let the Almighty do the rest.Would like to talk to you as well.keep well Ismail
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic