IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islamic Finance
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Zakat - Question  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zakat - Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firasatahmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zakat - Question
    Posted: 05 August 2013 at 11:41am
Assalamalaykum,

Month of Ramadan is coming to end, just like any other muslim  i would also like to give Zakat. I have many questions regarding this, i will list out each question and would request from the community to provide appropriate answer if they know.

1) I just got married about 10 months ago, my wife has about 20 tola ( ~ 233 grams). I was told i am entitled to pay Zakat on gold only if it has been a year? If this is not true, how much do i pay for Zakat for Gold? Is this mandatory.?
Gold entitle for zakat if more than 83 grams and use as saving not use accesories by your wife such as neclace and being use. Theamount is 2.5%. It is mandatory.

2) Do i have pay Zakat on the amount of money i earned?This might be a rhetorical question but if so do I pay the amount on before tax or after tax? Is this also mandatory?

If the ammount of your money is more than 83 gram of gold you have to pay. After tax. The ammount tis 2.5%. It's mandatory.

3) I believe $15 per head is listed as Zakat-ul-Fitr. Can this be paid in another country like India?

Yes you can.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Edited by semar - 06 August 2013 at 4:52am
Zeky View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2013 at 4:33pm
Assalamu Alaikum brother. I'm obviously a little late in responding but I'm going to contribute since you haven't gotten any replies yet. From my understanding, Zakat must be paid on whatever wealth you've had in your possession for a year. So you wouldn't have to pay on your income, but rather the amount that you've had for the past year (i.e., your savings).. I'm not sure about the answer to your first question to be honest so I'd suggest to ask your local Sheikh or someone of knowledge.

As for paying your Zakat in India, at one of our recent Khutba's here in my local mosque our Imam spoke about this issue. He said that when paying Zakat you should pay it locally to help your community's poor as that's what was done during the time of the Prophet (SAW) and is recommended by many scholars. From my understanding it's still acceptable to pay it overseas, but he stressed that you should pay it locally.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic