IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Politics > World Politics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Egypt  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Egypt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2013 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

Be careful of projecting your own attitudes on the people of a very different culture.  You don't think it possible that a majority of Egyptian Muslims might actually want an Islamic dictatorship?

Hi Ron,
From what I know of Egypt and its people, they are more progressive than that.
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2013 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

And yet an awful lot of them voted for a prominent member of the Muslim Brotherhood to be their President.  Could it be that the Egyptians you know about are mainly the more progressive ones, by definition? -- i.e., more fluent in English, more urbane, more tech-savvy and media-savvy?
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
whitelion553 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitelion553 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2013 at 4:34am

Egypt, the second largest recipient of U.S. aid after Israel, has received from the United States more than 70 billion dollars in military and economic aid since 1948.

Iran's Foreign Ministry Spokesman Abbas Araqchi says national dialogue is the only solution to the recent crisis in Egypt, urging all sides of the conflict to exercise restraint

"The continuation of tension and conflict in Egypt has caused deep concern in all countries particularly regional states, and we are worried about the consequences of the violence and bloodshed inside Egypt and its outcome for the region,"

respect for human rights, democratic principles and the legitimate demands of the people, as well as finding a solution based on national consensus and unity among the different groups in Egypt in order to maintain solidarity in the country.

http://en.humanrights-iran.ir/news-20769.aspx
i try to say only facts
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2013 at 9:07am

And yet an awful lot of them voted for a prominent member of the Muslim Brotherhood to be their President.  Could it be that the Egyptians you know about are mainly the more progressive ones, by definition? -- i.e., more fluent in English, more urbane, more tech-savvy and media-savvy?

Hi Ron,
Well, I am back to where we started...
I say that the fear is, that if Morsi stays in power there will not be future elections with the chance for changes.  A justified fear I would say.
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2013 at 9:17am
Originally posted by whitelion553 whitelion553 wrote:

Iran's Foreign Ministry Spokesman Abbas Araqchi says national dialogue is the only solution to the recent crisis in Egypt, urging all sides of the conflict to exercise restraint

"The continuation of tension and conflict in Egypt has caused deep concern in all countries particularly regional states, and we are worried about the consequences of the violence and bloodshed inside Egypt and its outcome for the region,"

respect for human rights, democratic principles and the legitimate demands of the people, as well as finding a solution based on national consensus and unity among the different groups in Egypt in order to maintain solidarity in the country.

http://en.humanrights-iran.ir/news-20769.aspx

Greetings whitelion,

I was just pondering this morning what might be the solution to this problem.  There seem to be a rather equal number of Morsi supporters and Morsi dissenters.  I think the dissenters have more to fear than the supporters do.
I was pondering what can be done when a country is equally divided, and the people have the freedom to come out in numbers like this to demonstrate.  How do you keep a country from devolving into violence, civil unrest and chaos.  I wish I knew.  Somehow the dissenters need some reassurance that they may trust Morsi if he is to remain in power.  Morsi needs to listen to their wants... Just as Assad should have listened to the wants of the people in Syria instead of opening armed fire on them.  These people need to learn how to negotiate for peace.

Salaam,
Caringheart

Edited by Caringheart - 31 July 2013 at 9:18am
Blessed be God forever
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2013 at 4:09pm

I say that the fear is, that if Morsi stays in power there will not be future elections with the chance for changes.  A justified fear I would say.
How is it justified?  You could always say that about any leader, but where is your evidence?  What did Morsi actually say or do that suggests he was planning to cancel future elections?

And on the other side, we have the military, which has demonstrated that it doesn't respect election results in the first place.  If you concede to them the right to overturn any election it doesn't like, then you already have a dictatorship.
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2013 at 4:33pm

I was pondering what can be done when a country is equally divided, and the people have the freedom to come out in numbers like this to demonstrate.  How do you keep a country from devolving into violence, civil unrest and chaos.  I wish I knew.

You may recall a recent election in the US that was essentially too close to call.  Eventually the Supreme Court weighed in and made what many regard as a wrong or arbitrary decision.  But - surprise, surprise! - there was no violence, civil unrest, or chaos!  Why?  Because Americans have a deep respect for democracy and would rather endure four years of bad leadership.

Which is exactly what Morsi's opponents should have done.

Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2013 at 12:20pm

I was pondering what can be done when a country is equally divided, and the people have the freedom to come out in numbers like this to demonstrate.  How do you keep a country from devolving into violence, civil unrest and chaos.  I wish I knew.

You may recall a recent election in the US that was essentially too close to call.  Eventually the Supreme Court weighed in and made what many regard as a wrong or arbitrary decision.  But - surprise, surprise! - there was no violence, civil unrest, or chaos!  Why?  Because Americans have a deep respect for democracy and would rather endure four years of bad leadership.

Which is exactly what Morsi's opponents should have done.

Hi Ron,
A friend shared this comment on a personal blog of mine this morning.  It brought me back to this thread.

"I think the Declaration of Independence says that when a nation becomes corrupt and oppressive or something like that, the people have the right to rise up and overthrow it--that is what we did to England. It seems voting really does not work anymore. ..."

Blessed be God forever
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
  Share Topic