IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Country Ratings Poll  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Country Ratings Poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Country Ratings Poll
    Posted: 06 June 2013 at 8:08am

22 May 2013 - Positive views of China and India have fallen sharply around the world over the last year, a new 25-country poll for BBC World Service indicates.

The poll also finds that views of the UK have improved in the wake of its hosting of the 2012 Olympics, making the UK the third most positively rated country. Of the other fifteen countries rated, nine saw their ratings positive worsen this year while the UK was the most improved.

The 2013 Country Ratings Poll, conducted by GlobeScan/PIPA among 26,299 people around the world between December 2012 and April 2013, asked respondents to rate 16 countries and the EU on whether their influence in the world is �mostly positive� or �mostly negative.�

http://www.globescan.com/commentary-and-analysis/press-releases/press-releases-2013/277-views-of-china-and-india-slide-while-uks-ratings-climb.html

Avg%20of%2022%20Countries

On average positive views of China across 21 tracking countries have dropped eight points to 42 per cent while negative views have risen by the same amount to reach 39 per cent. After improving for several years, views of China have sunk to their lowest level since polling began in 2005. India has shown a similar decline, with negative views up eight points and positive views down six. For the first time this year, those negative views (35%) slightly outnumber those with positive views of India (34%). Overall, China is ranked ninth, while India is ranked twelfth.

Germany regained the position of the most favourably viewed country, with 59 per cent worldwide rating it positively. It displaces Japan, which saw its positive ratings plunge from 58 to 51 per cent and fell from first to fourth place overall. The UK, rated positively by 55 per cent, has climbed from fourth to third place with a four-point increase in positive views since 2012, more than for any other country.

Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2013 at 3:21pm
I wonder what people base their views on.
I actually have rather a positive view of both China and India.
China for their intellect and forward thinking and productivity... seeking future solutions to world problems.
India for their strong work ethics.
I find myself wondering; Could it be that people have lowered their views of these countries because they fear their rise to power?
The United States, which was built on these two things(inventiveness and productivity, coupled with strong work ethics), has stagnated in both.
Germany remains strong in both, but their government is once again asserting too much control over the lives of its people.

Edited by Caringheart - 06 June 2013 at 3:24pm
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2013 at 9:06pm
Well China is viewed more favorable than negatively, which given their form of government, is not bad. India I think is plagued by negative press concerning rapes, poverty, sweat shops (low wages) and, my pet peeve, call center "service".

Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2013 at 3:20am
When this BBC study came out, news reporters asked Germans on the street. Most hadn't heard about the study. When the reporters told them that Germany ranked number one, the reactions of most was: You must be kidding. Some even found it embarrassing.

I'm not surprised that Iran and Pakistan are further down. Everyone is aware of the widespread religious fanaticism in those countries.

The German government isn't asserting too much control over the lives of its people, otherwise it wouldn't win elections. I'm aware that many Americans see it that way, usually those who never visited Germany or lived in Germany for awhile.

Edited by Matt Browne - 07 June 2013 at 3:24am
A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2013 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by Matt Browne Matt Browne wrote:

When this BBC study came out, news reporters asked Germans on the street. Most hadn't heard about the study. When the reporters told them that Germany ranked number one, the reactions of most was: You must be kidding. Some even found it embarrassing.

I'm not surprised that Iran and Pakistan are further down. Everyone is aware of the widespread religious fanaticism in those countries.

The German government isn't asserting too much control over the lives of its people, otherwise it wouldn't win elections. I'm aware that many Americans see it that way, usually those who never visited Germany or lived in Germany for awhile.

Hi Matt,
You haven't been around in awhile.
What bothers me about the German government... what I mean about once again exerting too much control over its people... is the situation where parents are not allowed to choose to homeschool their children and can be sent to prison and their children taken away.  To me this is too reminiscent of the days of indoctrination of the youth of Germany.  It is taking away the rights of parents to make decisions for their children.  There are other ways to assure that children are getting an adequate education, even if educated at home.  I personally am a big fan of homeschooling because the ways of the world have so departed from Godly ways.
Hoping things are well with you,
CH
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
nothing View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2013 at 5:02pm
Quote The 2013 Country Ratings Poll, conducted by GlobeScan/PIPA among 26,299 people around the world between December 2012 and April 2013

With Israel and North Korea placed above Pakistan and North Korea than it is a cooked up poll. The lister maybe just came back from the PUB when published this.

Edited by nothing - 08 June 2013 at 5:09pm
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2013 at 7:24am
Originally posted by nothing nothing wrote:

The lister maybe just came back from the PUB when published this.

LOL ...or as in any statistical study, perhaps, margin of error.  So go ahead and place Pakistan above NK.
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2013 at 6:24am
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

What bothers me about the German government... what I mean about once again exerting too much control over its people... is the situation where parents are not allowed to choose to homeschool their children and can be sent to prison and their children taken away.  To me this is too reminiscent of the days of indoctrination of the youth of Germany.  It is taking away the rights of parents to make decisions for their children.  There are other ways to assure that children are getting an adequate education, even if educated at home.  I personally am a big fan of homeschooling because the ways of the world have so departed from Godly ways.
Hoping things are well with you, CH

Every German can join a political party and influence the party to support homeschooling. Every German can found a political party, which supports homeschooling. The members of the German parliament are free to change the law on homeschooling.

But the vast majority of Germans are against homeschooling, because they feel that children need special protection from parents who are anti-science religious fanatics. Without a good science education in school it is much harder for a young adult to find a good job or go to university.

The rejection of homeschooling exists to prevent the indoctrination of children by their parents, for example with nonsense like young earth creationism.

Religion is actually part of most German curricula. Non-believers can also choose ethics. Quite recently some of the 16 German states have introduced Islam as a school subject for Muslim students. The grades in religion count toward your overall GPA.

A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic