IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Does Islam need to evolve?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDoes Islam need to evolve?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does Islam need to evolve?
    Posted: 27 April 2013 at 2:10am
As you know, there are those who think that Islam needs to be reformed. What do you think of this?
Matt has already mentioned a number of things, for example the question of a Muslim woman's testimony being worth less than that of a Muslim man's. There's also the question of inheritance, and much else. Equal rights for men and women should be self-evident, yes?

It's a big question, I know, but do you think that Islam can be reformed at all? One things is certain: it's not the 7th century anymore.

NABA View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2013 at 8:37am
Surah Al Maidah ch 5 v 4-Allah says this is the day,I have choosen Islam as your religion and no addition should b done to your deen.Prophet Muhammad S.A.W(pbuh) says that every innovation is a misguidance and every misguidance will lead to hell.so,there is no question of evolution of Islam.In the sight of Allah everybody is equal irrespective of sex,colour,wealth,status.the only way a person is better than the other is the closeness to Allah I.e piouty,good deeds.this is clearly mentioned in Surah Al hujurat ch 49 v 13.as far as status of women is concerned,there R some aspects in which women are dominant than men and in some men are given preference but overall both are equal in the sight of Allah.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2013 at 10:46am
Islam is to testify that none has the right to be worship but God (the creator and sustainer of the heaven and earth), and that Muhammad is His Messenger and last prophet, the establishment of prayer, payment of zakat (charity), fasting in the month of Ramadan, and hajj (pilgrimage to Mecca), for those who are able. This is the religion of Islam.  What you have mentioned; inheritance, testimony, "and much else" are primarily issues of fiqh, that can, and do change with time, circumstance and place.  Indeed fiqh is fluid, dynamic, and by no means stuck in the 7th century.
W.S. View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2013 at 5:51am
Originally posted by NABA NABA wrote:

Surah Al Maidah ch 5 v 4-Allah says this is the day,I have choosen Islam as your religion and no addition should b done to your deen.Prophet Muhammad S.A.W(pbuh) says that every innovation is a misguidance and every misguidance will lead to hell.so,there is no question of evolution of Islam.

That way you won't have to take responsibility and change the parts that need to be changed. How convenient!

In the sight of Allah everybody is equal irrespective of sex,colour,wealth,status.the only way a person is better than the other is the closeness to Allah I.e piouty,good deeds.this is clearly mentioned in Surah Al hujurat ch 49 v 13.
Apparently not when it comes to sex (as in man/woman). Just look at some of the misogynic verses.

as far as status of women is concerned,there R some aspects in which women are dominant than men and in some men are given preference but overall both are equal in the sight of Allah.
I think you mean to say that men are given preference in most, if not all, aspects. Obviously I'm not as versed in this subject as you are, but I'd like to share a couple of things that I read when I was reading/skimming through Islamic Ethics, by al-Ghazali a while ago. Firstly, something that made me laugh: "If he is ugly to look at she must not hate him", on how a woman should be a good wife. She must obey her husband and so on. Secondly, when a man talks to his wife he must lower himself to her intelligence and should also try to be funny to make her happy, but not too much or she'll think he's lax and take advantage of him. It says something about the view of women.

Equal in the sight of Allah? I think that's just a fancy way of getting away with it.

Originally posted by abuayisha abuayisha wrote:

Islam is to testify that none has the right to be worship but God (the creator and sustainer of the heaven and earth), and that Muhammad is His Messenger and last prophet, the establishment of prayer, payment of zakat (charity), fasting in the month of Ramadan, and hajj (pilgrimage to Mecca), for those who are able. This is the religion of Islam.
That seems to be the general notion. But for many Muslims it is much more that, isn't it? Like, following "rules" or guidelines that are in the Quran and Sunnah? A wife having to ask her husband's permission to work outside of the home, for example.  

What you have mentioned; inheritance, testimony, "and much else" are primarily issues of fiqh, that can, and do change with time, circumstance and place.  Indeed fiqh is fluid, dynamic, and by no means stuck in the 7th century.

What has changed? Have lewd men been confined to their houses and cut off from their inheritance? Have men been stoned to death for having been raped?
NABA View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2013 at 8:58am
you don't have to read Islamic ethics written by so and so,if you really want to understand Islam read Qur'an and hadeeth(sayings and life of prophet).in Surah An Nisa ch 4 v 4-A husband must give an amount(Meher) to his wife.this is totally opposite to the trend we follow today.unfortunately people follow so called rituals of dowry system and doesn't know about Qur'an that's y questions about status of women is arrived.therefore don't believe in others do enquiry from right sources.ones upon a time there was a young girl who complained to the prophet that here parents had fixed her marriage without her will.prophet there itself nullified that marriage.then prophet also said that don't stop women from visiting mosque even in the night.today we observe in most places women are not allowed in mosque.in Qur'an there is no verse which prohibits women from visiting mosque.Allah says that never approach your wife when she is in her periods(Surah Al Baqarah ch 2 v 222).so contents above are truly in favour of women.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2013 at 10:53pm
Perhaps you are confusing cultural practices with Islam, as exemplified in your rhetorical questions. Unless, of course, you can site textual evidence that a woman raped is to be stoned to death according to Islamic law. This religion of Islam, when understood properly, is completely current and relevant, although still firmly rooted in its early generation. How could it be otherwise, when it is the final revelation to mankind?
W.S. View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 5:57am

you don't have to read Islamic ethics written by so and so,if you really want to understand Islam read Qur'an and hadeeth(sayings and life of prophet).in Surah An Nisa ch 4 v 4-A husband must give an amount(Meher) to his wife.this is totally opposite to the trend we follow today.unfortunately people follow so called rituals of dowry system and doesn't know about Qur'an that's y questions about status of women is arrived.therefore don't believe in others do enquiry from right sources.

I know about mahr and it has nothing to do with my questions about the status of women. I know, in fact, that in some places the mahr is expected to be so ridiculously high, that prospective husbands have to go abroad and work for years to save up for the mahr. The mahr might be the one thing that's in favour of women.

ones upon a time there was a young girl who complained to the prophet that here parents had fixed her marriage without her will.prophet there itself nullified that marriage.then prophet also said that don't stop women from visiting mosque even in the night.today we observe in most places women are not allowed in mosque.in Qur'an there is no verse which prohibits women from visiting mosque.

So women may visit the mosque anytime they want. What about working outside of the home? Or if they wish to travel somewhere? It says in the Quran that lewd women should be confined to their houses and cut off from their inheritance; what about lewd men? And what about 4:34 that says you can beat your wife? She doesn't even have to do anything "rebellious"; you only have think that she will do something like that. Like Manji put it: "His insecurities becomes her problem." Of course, most husbands don't mistreat their wifes, but according to the Quran, they could if they wanted to. The same verse also says that men are better than women. Should this verse be omitted?  

Islam can be portrayed as a tolerant, just and nice religion. But it can also be portrayed as the opposite; it depends on which verses and hadiths you choose to convey.

Allah says that never approach your wife when she is in her periods(Surah Al Baqarah ch 2 v 222).so contents above are truly in favour of women.

I wouldn't say that not having intercourse with your wife when she's having her period is especially in favour of women, because you wouldn't do that anyway. It's common sense. And what about the rest of the month when she's not having her period? Then her husband may (or should I say should?) be with her whenever he wants. She can't say no, basically. Is that in her favour?

Perhaps you are confusing cultural practices with Islam, as exemplified in your rhetorical questions. Unless, of course, you can site textual evidence that a woman raped is to be stoned to death according to Islamic law. This religion of Islam, when understood properly, is completely current and relevant, although still firmly rooted in its early generation. How could it be otherwise, when it is the final revelation to mankind?

But is Islam ever understood properly? It seems that whenever Islam dominates a society, there is always oppression and violations of human rights. The world is not what it was in the 7th century; people are more enlightened today (although sometimes I wonder), and with enlightenment comes demands, such as the demand for freedom of speech. Religion needs to change also or it becomes obsolete. Nobody's forcing you to take the "final revelation to mankind"-part literally.
NABA View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 11:14am
In ch 4 v 34-yes it is written that husband can beat his wife but in such a way that there should not b any scar mark on her body and the need of beating is the last resort if a husband finds that his wife is not loyal,firstly he should stop talking to him,then if not then stop sharing bed and even after this she doesn't realise her mistake then the norm of beating comes.even in that the wrong meaning is taken of that verse in which men are known as kaiyaam for women,yes they are but in the financial sense not all aspects.Allah regards a woman as fortress of devil in several places,unfortunately people take double meaning of the verses and take them in cultural practices.if all people read Quran with translation then most of the problems will b solved.you know that how people gloom on birth of daughter.if U read Quran Allah clearly forbids even the gloomy expression on birth of daughter.this is mentioned in Surah Al Nahl ch 16 v 58.in Surah Al Takweeh ch 81 v 8-9-Allah will ask all the daughters who were killed due to female foeticides that for what fault they were killed on judgment day.therefore there is no fault at all in Islam its the people who had created this chaos.in Surah An Nisa ch 4 v 40-Allah is never unjust even in the least degree.Allahfiz
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic