IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Pope washes feet of Muslim prisoner  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pope washes feet of Muslim prisoner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2013 at 7:15am
Originally posted by TG12345 TG12345 wrote:

Most of the inmates were men, so your point is moot.

TG, it's not a matter of numbers.

Pope washes feet of young Muslim woman prisoner in unprecedented twist on Maundy Thursday
"While popes have for centuries washed the feet of the faithful on the day before Good Friday, never before had a pontiff washed the feet of a woman... Catholic traditionalists are likely to be riled by the inclusion of women in the ceremony because of the belief that all of Jesus� disciples were male."

Pope Francis washes feet of young detainees in ritual
"Two of the 12 were young women, an unusual choice... ROME (AP) � Pope Francis washed and kissed the feet of a dozen inmates at a juvenile detention center in a Holy Thursday ritual that he celebrated for years as archbishop and is continuing now that he is pope. Two of the 12 were young women, a remarkable choice given that the rite re-enacts Jesus' washing of the feet of his male disciples."

Pope washes women's feet in break with church law
"No pope has ever washed the feet of a woman before, and Francis' gesture sparked a debate among some conservatives and liturgical purists, who lamented he had set a "questionable example." Liberals welcomed the move as a sign of greater inclusiveness in the church... He often involved women. Photographs show him washing the feet of a woman holding her newborn child in her arms."

Pope washes feet of young detainees in Holy Thursday ritual
"The group of 12 young people who had their feet washed and kissed by the pope included two young women - the first time a pope included females in the rite. The ceremony has traditionally been limited to men, since all of Jesus' apostles were men."

Pope Francis' female foot-wash outrages traditionalists

Edited by Rational - 01 April 2013 at 7:27am
الله
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2013 at 3:57pm
I wonder how the woman came to be included in the foot washing, along with the men.
I understand how it seems strange for a man like the Pope to do this...
but the things that Jesus did also appeared strange to people.  Jesus washed the feet of His disciples in demonstration of what was expected of them... humility.
We may remember that it was objected to when a woman of ill repute washed the feet of Jesus, but Jesus did not reject her but blessed her for her humbleness and beauty of spirit... a thing not offered by any other in the room at that time.

50 And He said to the woman, Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace.  (the Gospel of Luke, chapter 7)

I think the Pope is seeking to revive the spirit shown to us by Christ... the spirit which He wanted us to emulate.
People will naturally be uncomfortable with this... this model of change.

Edited by Caringheart - 01 April 2013 at 7:07pm
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2013 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by Rational Rational wrote:

Most of the inmates were men, so your point is moot.

TG, it's not a matter of numbers.

Pope washes feet of young Muslim woman prisoner in unprecedented twist on Maundy Thursday
"While popes have for centuries washed the feet of the faithful on the day before Good Friday, never before had a pontiff washed the feet of a woman... Catholic traditionalists are likely to be riled by the inclusion of women in the ceremony because of the belief that all of Jesus� disciples were male."

Pope Francis washes feet of young detainees in ritual
"Two of the 12 were young women, an unusual choice... ROME (AP) � Pope Francis washed and kissed the feet of a dozen inmates at a juvenile detention center in a Holy Thursday ritual that he celebrated for years as archbishop and is continuing now that he is pope. Two of the 12 were young women, a remarkable choice given that the rite re-enacts Jesus' washing of the feet of his male disciples."

Pope washes women's feet in break with church law
"No pope has ever washed the feet of a woman before, and Francis' gesture sparked a debate among some conservatives and liturgical purists, who lamented he had set a "questionable example." Liberals welcomed the move as a sign of greater inclusiveness in the church... He often involved women. Photographs show him washing the feet of a woman holding her newborn child in her arms."

Pope washes feet of young detainees in Holy Thursday ritual
"The group of 12 young people who had their feet washed and kissed by the pope included two young women - the first time a pope included females in the rite. The ceremony has traditionally been limited to men, since all of Jesus' apostles were men."

Pope Francis' female foot-wash outrages traditionalists

Washing someone's feet is a show of humility. It shows you are willing to serve the other person, to care and watch out for him. It shows that your status does not make you better than another person.

Jesus instructed His disciples to wash each others' feet, to show that one is not better than another, to show that they are all equal.

In the Catholic church, the Pope is in the highest position of power. I am not Catholic and I do not believe there should be such a hierarchy, but that's how they do things.

For the Pope to wash other people's feet is a symbolic gesture showing that he is no better than anyone else, and that those who are in high positions of power are expected to serve those below them.

The people whose feet he washed are prisoners... people who are often looked down on in society. A lot of them have committed crimes, been involved in the sex trade, have been abused. Many have discarded them. As you may or may not know, in Europe racism is a very real problem (not unlike Canada or US or Saudi Arabia or Israel) and the prisoners who are immigrants or Muslim or Roma face also a racial stigma.

The Pope washing their feet I think also was meant to demonstrate that Christians are called to love and serve those who society hates.

BTW why is this even a problem for you? Why would it bother you how Christians conduct their religious rituals?
nospam001 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nospam001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2013 at 12:15am
To look for and find something sordid in this ritual reveals a lot more about the author than was presumably intended.
God has the right to remain silent. For His advocates, however, each resigned shrug is a missed opportunity to win new converts.
Rational View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2013 at 1:17pm

BTW why is this even a problem for you? Why would it bother you how Christians conduct their religious rituals?

Because I care about people, non muslims and muslims. Because I hate it when people are being lied to. Because they involved a "muslim" woman (even though i don't belive any of it). Because I don't agree with public in your face team effort feet washing. Because I have a right to an opinion just like you and everyone else. I could ask you the same question because you said that you're not a catholic so why do you care.

Why involve woman?  That's what I'm talking about. Would Jesus (alaihi assalam) wash the feet of daughters of the disciples?  Would he allow that they wash the feet of each others daughters? No of course not. Men do not wash the feet of other woman. This man (pope man) is no different.

I wonder if this man washes the feet of people his age.

الله
Rational View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2013 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by nospam001 nospam001 wrote:

To look for and find something sordid in this ritual reveals a lot more about the author than was presumably intended.

Assalam Alaik nospam, what does it reveal and who is this author? Get to the point ;)
الله
Rational View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2013 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

I wonder how the woman came to be included in the foot washing, along with the men.... I think the Pope is seeking to revive the spirit shown to us by Christ... the spirit which He wanted us to emulate. People will naturally be uncomfortable with this... this model of change.

I see where you're coming from.... Rules are meant to be broken right?

Edited by Rational - 02 April 2013 at 3:22pm
الله
Rational View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2013 at 3:03pm
Personally, I would never allow myself to put my foot in someones face like that. That's just pride and arrogance. That's degrading someone else beyond anything, and in public. So while the pope man is showing a gesture of humility, those getting their feet washed are showing arrogance and egotism x 100. Maybe they felt good about it. But is this right? What example are they showing? That's why I'm sure most people wouldn't allow to put their feet in the face of another because humility has to be both ways. And that's why I believe this drama piece is worthless. If the pope man really wanted to show that he is on the same level then he and his crew should all dress like those normal people and focus on spending less on themselves. That would be a good place to start, not the feet.

Edited by Rational - 02 April 2013 at 3:43pm
الله
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic