IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Pope washes feet of Muslim prisoner  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pope washes feet of Muslim prisoner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pope washes feet of Muslim prisoner
    Posted: 29 March 2013 at 9:26am
Whereas most of his predecessors chose to do the Maundy Thursday Mass in the Vatican, this guy went instead to a youth prison. He washed the feet not of fellow priests, but of of young men and women who are behind bars for breaking the law, many if not most of whom probably grew up in poverty and experienced rejection and abuse. One of the inmates whose feet he washed is a Muslim woman.

In John 13:1-20, Jesus called upon His disciples to wash each others' feet. It is a sign of humility and a reminder that none of us are more important than the other. Jesus ate and spent time with people most of His society rejected and discarded. He died on the cross for sinners... both those of us who know we are sinners and those who try to fool ourselves into believing we are otherwise.

Of course, Pope Francis is not Jesus. No human being or angel can even come close to being Christ... since unlike us, He is God in the flesh.

However, we can and are called to follow Him.

By washing this woman's feet, the Pope not only reminds us that we are called to be humble, but also took a stance against Islamophobia. There are tragically some 'christians' enjoy hating on Muslims- sometimes attacking them verbally and sometimes even worse. Muslims have experienced a lot of hatred in both Europe and North America. To be fair, some Muslims also treat non-Muslims the same way. Not that this makes hatred of Muslims... or of anyone else... justified.

We are called to love our Muslim neighbours... both our friends and our enemies. We are to treat them with love and humility, not arrogance and hatred.

Jesus died for us all.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/the-pope/9960168/Pope-washes-feet-of-young-Muslim-woman-prisoner-in-unprecedented-twist-on-Maundy-Thursday.html

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/pope-washes-feet-young-detainees-ritual-18831995#.UVW94Tee18x

Rational View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2013 at 4:27am
Assalamo Alaik TG,

The man is washing, stroking, caressing, drying and kissing the feet of young women. It seems it's a habit he's been fond of for quite a while. And now to a "muslim" young lady too. What a coincidence.

Say, "O disbelievers, (1) I do not worship what you worship. (2) Nor are you worshippers of what I worship. (3) Nor will I be a worshipper of what you worship. (4) Nor will you be worshippers of what I worship. (5) For you is your religion, and for me is my religion." (6)

الله
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2013 at 11:34am
Rational your point is well taken, however given the ritual here, and the age of the Pope, I hardly think "stroking", "caressing", and "kissing the feet of young women" by implication, is fair - given the context.
Rational View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2013 at 12:16pm
That's your opinion, I think it is fair, given the context.
الله
nothing View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2013 at 4:27am
For newly starter that was a good start signal that he is not publicity seeking confrontationist. Also since he is burdened with badly damaged ship - as a captain he is quick to find ways to slowdown the problem if not to remedy the situation altogether. It was signal for the priests under him to start roll the sleeves up starting with the downtrodden. As the hadith and the NT stated: When you visited them you visited God, when you feed them you feed God.

I only wish him good thing in doing his duty.
TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2013 at 5:31am
Originally posted by Rational Rational wrote:

Assalamo Alaik TG,

The man is washing, stroking, caressing, drying and kissing the feet of young women. It seems it's a habit he's been fond of for quite a while. And now to a "muslim" young lady too. What a coincidence.

Say, "O disbelievers, (1) I do not worship what you worship. (2) Nor are you worshippers of what I worship. (3) Nor will I be a worshipper of what you worship. (4) Nor will you be worshippers of what I worship. (5) For you is your religion, and for me is my religion." (6)

Wa alaikum, Rational.

Most of the inmates were men, so your point is moot.

Edited by TG12345 - 01 April 2013 at 5:32am
TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2013 at 5:32am
Originally posted by nothing nothing wrote:

For newly starter that was a good start signal that he is not publicity seeking confrontationist. Also since he is burdened with badly damaged ship - as a captain he is quick to find ways to slowdown the problem if not to remedy the situation altogether. It was signal for the priests under him to start roll the sleeves up starting with the downtrodden. As the hadith and the NT stated: When you visited them you visited God, when you feed them you feed God.

Salaam Alaikum nothing and abuayisha,

Thanks for your responses, and for understanding what he was trying to do.
Rational View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2013 at 5:37am

As the hadith and the NT stated: When you visited them you visited God, when you feed them you feed God.

Can you tell me what hadith this is please?

I only wish they stop the "soap opera". And I only wish he keeps his hands (and lips) away from the feet of young women.

الله
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic