IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - British ISM activists detained in UK  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

British ISM activists detained in UK

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: British ISM activists detained in UK
    Posted: 04 March 2013 at 5:08pm
http://palsolidarity.org/2013/02/british-activists-being-detained-in-uk-airports-under-anti-terrorism-legislation-on-return-home-from-palestine/

This is a shameful and terrible bit of news.

The International Solidarity Movement- a group which I had the honour and privilege of serving with in the West Bank and with which I hope to go again some day- works to bring an end to human rights abuses against the Palestinian people by documenting the brutalities of the IDF and settlers, serving as human shields, accompanying farmers and children to work and school, coming out to demonstrations against the occupation. ISM activists operate in the West Bank and Gaza. Although they often face arrest, beatings, threats, tear gas, and some have even died, they have never used violence against anyone and are not antisemitic. During the few weeks I was in Palestine and Israel, I have seen fellow ISM activists assaulted and arrested, had guns pointed at, and my friend and I were attacked by settlers. During this time, not one of us ever used violence against either the Israeli settlers or army, or expressed any hatred towards the Jewish people. Some of ISM's founders are Jewish, some of them also Israeli.

Britain's support for Israel's policies is bad enough, but it is especially despicable when activists returning from a place where they have served to protect innocent people, are treated as criminals. The brief detention and shameful treatment of my comrades does nothing to dispel the fact that the cause ISM and many others fight for is just, and it also does not change the fact that one day the Palestinian people will be free and both Israelis and Palestinians will live in security and justice and peace.

May the light of Christ bring freedom and salvation to every Palestinian and Israeli, and may there one day be a reality in the Holy Land where no one is occupied or lives in fear.

Edited by TG12345 - 04 March 2013 at 5:09pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic