IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - the Qur'an and peace  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

the Qur'an and peace

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2014 at 11:36am
Originally posted by NABA NABA wrote:

Assalamalecum,Allah in Quran in ch 2 v 83 says speak nicely to people, Allah in ch 28 v 83 says Allah will grant home of hereafter only to those who don't want mischief on the land.means those who don't want mischief automatically they are peace loving people.Allah in ch 49 v 13 saus Allah created u from a single couple and divided u in different colours and regions so that u may recognise each other n love each other not hatred, the best amongst u is the one who posess taqwa ie.righteousness, God consciousness.

Greetings NABA,

Regarding the 3 verses you have referenced...

even though 2:83 is speaking of peaceful existence, it is a verse speaking 'against' the 'children of Israel'.  2:83, 84, 85 are all speaking against a people... not 'for' peace.  Speaking against a people is not a way that promotes peace.
Guiding your own people is a way that promotes peace.

I am looking for verses that speak of how to treat one another... not about the rewards in the hereafter, but the guidance on the behavior of one towards another in the here and now.

I come across this;
28:86 Thou hadst no hope that the Scripture would be inspired in thee; but it is a mercy from thy Lord, so never be a helper to the disbelievers.

Wouldn't it be better, and make more sense for God to instruct us to be a helper to the disbelievers?  Overcome evil with good?  Overcome them with kindness?  Wouldn't it make more sense that kindness leads to the One who created us?

and this;
49:11 O ye who believe! Let not a folk deride a folk who may be better than they (are), not let women (deride) women who may be better than they are;
Does it promote peace, to promote ideas of one being 'better than another'?  Wouldn't it better promote peace between people if we were taught to see each other as equals, taught to strive together in helping one another, so that all may learn to serve the Lord, the Creator, together in goodness?
49:13 O mankind! Lo! We have created you male and female, and have made you nations and tribes that ye may know one another. Lo! the noblest of you, in the sight of Allah, is the best in conduct. Lo! Allah is Knower, Aware.
I do not see the Lord, the Creator as promoting ideas of superiority, so that people strive not with one another, but against one another, in trying to prove themselves better than another.

The Lord in the Bible tells us not to seek to be noble, but rather seek to humble thyself.  Yshwe Messiah, taught that God seeks the humble... those who consider themselves no better than others.  It is humility that others should see in us.  This, Yshwe demonstrated by washing the feet of the Apostles... His disciples.

asalaam,
Caringheart
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
NABA View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NABA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2014 at 8:31pm
Assalamalecum,Allah in ch 41 v 34 says bad deed can't equal good deed, repel the evil deed by better deed n thereupon the one whom there was enemity with u will become ur devoted freind.
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2015 at 7:58pm
I need to revisit this topic and ask for muslims to help clarify something for me.
I was listening to a speaker today(online) raised muslim, who said that the word peace appears only once in the qur'an.
Can anyone please provide me with verses that use the word peace?
Shukran and salaam,
Caringheart
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2015 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

I need to revisit this topic and ask for muslims to help clarify something for me.I was listening to a speaker today(online) raised muslim, who said that the word peace appears only once in the qur'an.Can anyone please provide me with verses that use the word peace?Shukran and salaam,Caringheart

Either your hearing aid wasn't working when you were listening to the radio or the listener doesn't know much.
:)
La Ilaha IllAllah
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2015 at 10:28pm
Greetings Abu Loren,

Long time, no see.
I hope you have been well.
You didn't provide me with the verses.
That would have been helpful.

Shukran and salaam,
Caringheart
Blessed be God forever
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2015 at 12:17am
@Caringheart:

Do a search with this search engine.. The word "peace" shows up quite often, but you can of course still argue about the content/meaning of the word "peace" in a given surah.
Since most of the occurrences of "peace" are tripled (or more) due to the multiple translations of the same verses the total number of occurrences indicated has to be divided by three to four.

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 11 June 2015 at 3:15am
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2015 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

Can anyone please provide me with verses that use the word peace?

No problem, Caringheart.  A quick search lists fifty of them: http://corpus.quran.com/search.jsp?t=4&q=peace
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2015 at 3:07pm
Thanks Ron.
Blessed be God forever
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic