IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is IC Forum boring?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is IC Forum boring?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote us2inNorway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2013 at 12:57pm
Abu Loren and TG12345....

To be honest, the discussion between you two is kind of interesting. But would it be possible to get it down to an constructive level?
Not ironical, just could be nice to have an open minded chat about meanings/feelings around this...
nospam001 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nospam001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2013 at 1:51pm
One thing that might help liven things up a bit: have a look at the various topic headings on this forum and ask yourself which ones are more likely to get people to click.

Personally, when time is limited, I'm much less likely to bother with a vaguely-worded topic such as "A question for Muslims" or "Christians, answer this" or "Just wondering?", or "Watch this video". There seem to be so many of these lately, and I forget which one is which. (Ok, maybe I'm getting senile.)

I'm not suggesting we should be deliberately provocative. Memorable and relevant titles work best for me, and I've just realised that many of the recent ones have been started by Abu Loren himself. "Is IC Forum boring?" being a good example.

Another thing that I've noticed: I am also less likely to view a topic if its title is ALL IN UPPERCASE. (Which is roughly the equivalent of SHOUTING ALL THE TIME.)
TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2013 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by us2inNorway us2inNorway wrote:

Abu Loren and TG12345....

To be honest, the discussion between you two is kind of interesting. But would it be possible to get it down to an constructive level?
Not ironical, just could be nice to have an open minded chat about meanings/feelings around this...

Assalamu Alaikum us2inNorway,

Glad our discussions are interesting for you and others reading them. I have had and am continuing to have some very constructive and deep discussions with Muslim posters like 786SalaamKhan, Rational, Nausheen.

Coincidentally, they also do not call me names or imply they wish they could blow me up.

Abu Loren hasn't said anything insulting or mean-spirited towards me over a week and I appreciate that. As you may have noticed I hadn't made any similar comments towards him either. We also haven't been talking much.

If a person wants to engage in serious and respectful discussion, I'm all game. I am honest about my faith and so are the people on IC who I debate with. If you notice my debates with the Muslim posters mentioned in my first paragraph you will see we hold very little back and ask each other provocative questions and don't sugarcoat on what we believe to be truthful and what we believe to be false... and we have many disagreements.

I'm all for an intense debate as long as it is respectful and civil with anyone, including Abu Loren and you and any Muslim or non-Muslim on the forum. I am having a lot of those and am thankful for a chance to be able to discuss Islam and share and defend my faith.

God bless.
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2013 at 2:19am
The reason for this thread and the question is because not necessarily that IC is boring but when we post a reply it seems to take 2 or 3 days for admin to approve it. We wait in anticipation for it to be approved while twiddle our thumbs and hoping others will reply and have an input.

It seems that IC forum is run by one man who probably has a full time job and being an admin here is probably part time. He logs in now and then to check things and probably is overwhelmed by the number of posts waiting to e approved. Shame though as this forum could generate a lot of traffic if admin has their eye on the ball and get to it.
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2013 at 10:10am
Greetings Abu_Loren,

I agree with your point, which I believe is why others have raised the suggestion in the complaints forum, under the thread Forum Excessively Moderated, of;
Why is it necessary to screen the posters.  If something offensive is posted it is easily enough reported by other posters.
Maybe you should post your comments in that thread as well. Smile
I know I lose the flow of a conversation when 4 other posts appear before my own reply ever does... essentially in the middle of a conversation, which of course redirects the conversation, and then is difficult to pick back up.  Often times I worry that I have missed a response from someone because of this uneven posting.

Salaam,
CH
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2013 at 11:55am
Of course, if the Forum is being looked after by just one person then if/when he/she falls ill then I suppose we have to wait until he/she returns after his/her illness. So far I've been waiting patiently for 2 and a bit days for my replies to be approved (or not as the case may be), as I can see my replies left is limbo (highlighted in blue).
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2013 at 8:44am
I don't find IC boring. I find it very interesting.
A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic