IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Books revealed by God to Muhammad  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Books revealed by God to Muhammad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Books revealed by God to Muhammad
    Posted: 06 January 2013 at 9:26pm
Salaam Alaikum. Sorry in advance for all the questions.

I am wondering if according to Islam, the Quran is the only book sent down to Muhammad or were there also other ones?

The term Allah's Book and Allah's Book (Laws) appears several times in Sahih Bukhari, an example would be

Narrated 'Aisha: Barira came to seek my help regarding her manumission. I told herself you like I would pay your price to your masters but your Al-Wala(1) would be for me." Her masters said, "If you like, you can pay what remains (of the price of her manumission), (Sufyan the sub-narrator once said), or if you like you can manumit her, but her (inheritance) Al-Wala would be for us. "When allah\'s Apostle came, I spoke to him about it. He said, "Buy her and manumit her. No doubt Al-Wala(1) is for the manumitted." Then allah\'s Apostle stood on the pulpit (or allah\'s Apostle ascended the pulpit as Sufyan once said), and said, "What about some people who impose conditions which are not present in allah\'s book (Laws)? Whoever imposes conditions which are not in allah\'s book (Laws), his conditions will be invalid even if he imposed them a hundred times."  (Book #8, Hadith #446)

I copied and pasted this from answering-islam. Just kidding, it was from
http://www.searchtruth.com/searchHadith.php?keyword=allah%27s+book&translator=1&search=1&book=&start=0&records_display=10&search_word=all

Does Allah's Book (Laws) in the hadiths refer to the Quran or to some other text?

Thanks so much. Allahma3k.
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 2:05am
Originally posted by TG12345 TG12345 wrote:

I am wondering if according to Islam, the Quran is the only book sent down to Muhammad or were there also other ones?

The term Allah's Book and Allah's Book (Laws) appears several times in Sahih Bukhari, an example would be

Narrated 'Aisha: Barira came to seek my help regarding her manumission. I told herself you like I would pay your price to your masters but your Al-Wala(1) would be for me." Her masters said, "If you like, you can pay what remains (of the price of her manumission), (Sufyan the sub-narrator once said), or if you like you can manumit her, but her (inheritance) Al-Wala would be for us. "When allah\'s Apostle came, I spoke to him about it. He said, "Buy her and manumit her. No doubt Al-Wala(1) is for the manumitted." Then allah\'s Apostle stood on the pulpit (or allah\'s Apostle ascended the pulpit as Sufyan once said), and said, "What about some people who impose conditions which are not present in allah\'s book (Laws)? Whoever imposes conditions which are not in allah\'s book (Laws), his conditions will be invalid even if he imposed them a hundred times."  (Book #8, Hadith #446)

http://www.searchtruth.com/searchHadith.php?keyword=allah%27s+book&translator=1&search=1&book=&start=0&records_display=10&search_word=all

Does Allah's Book (Laws) in the hadiths refer to the Quran or to some other text?

Wa Alaikkum,

I don't know if you have ever read the translation of the Holy Qur'an but the Law or Islamic Shari'a Law is drived from the Holy Qur'an. Similar to what Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala gave to Prophet Musa (Alayhi Salamm) in the Torah the same process is given to Prophet Muhammad (SalAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam).

There are explanations given in the Hadiths of Qur'anic verses where the Prophet (SalAllahu Alayhi Sallam) explains in detail the meanings to his companions. In Islam, there is ever only ONE book which is the Holy Qur'an.
XTREME View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XTREME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 5:49am
Walaikum Assalam!

In Islam, Quran is the book of Allah. We Muslims believe in the 6-major books of hadith;
Sahih Bukhari
Sahih Muslim
Jami Al-Tirmidhi
Sunan Ibn Majah
Sunan Abu Dawud
Sunan Abu Sughra

But being we must have a faith on the previous holy books and Prophets. As, there were 104 holy books and apporximately 124, 000 Prophets.

Jazak Allah Kher!
nothing View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 8:20pm

I really don't understand this hadith so I will clarify couple words.
manumission = FREE
Al-Wala        = INHERITANCE
So Barira a slave woman came to Aishah inquiring about her freedom. And Aishah said that she was willing to buy her to be her slave, BUT, Barira's inheritance would be for Aishah.
Yet again her master offered Aishah with different offer. He said he asked Aishah to pay the remaining price, BUT he also want Barira's inheritance.
Than Rosulallah told Aishah just to buy her than free her, BUT in here her inheritance is for Barira herself.

Right.

What is this inheritance all about that Aishah want it and her master also want it? and where that inheritance came from? She was a slave with nothing, she could not even freed herself!!

Edited by nothing - 07 January 2013 at 8:21pm
TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2013 at 4:26am

Originally posted by Abu Loren Abu Loren wrote:

Wa Alaikkum,

I don't know if you have ever read the translation of the Holy Qur'an but the Law or Islamic Shari'a Law is drived from the Holy Qur'an. Similar to what Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala gave to Prophet Musa (Alayhi Salamm) in the Torah the same process is given to Prophet Muhammad (SalAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam).

There are explanations given in the Hadiths of Qur'anic verses where the Prophet (SalAllahu Alayhi Sallam) explains in detail the meanings to his companions. In Islam, there is ever only ONE book which is the Holy Qur'an.

Salaam Alaikum Abu Loren and thank you for the explanation. To clarify, is Allah's Book (Laws) a reference to the Quran?

Were the Laws in Muhammad's time in book code like the hadiths and he was referring a book of Laws based on the Quran, or is the Book of Allah (Laws) simply the Quran?

Thanks so much!

Edited by TG12345 - 08 January 2013 at 4:30am
TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2013 at 4:29am
Originally posted by XTREME XTREME wrote:

Walaikum Assalam!

In Islam, Quran is the book of Allah. We Muslims believe in the 6-major books of hadith;
Sahih Bukhari
Sahih Muslim
Jami Al-Tirmidhi
Sunan Ibn Majah
Sunan Abu Dawud
Sunan Abu Sughra

But being we must have a faith on the previous holy books and Prophets. As, there were 104 holy books and apporximately 124, 000 Prophets.

Jazak Allah Kher!

Thank you, Xtreme. I understand Islam teaches that other prophets came down with holy books. When the hadiths refer to Allah's Book or Allah's Book (Laws) are they referring to these books possibly, or only to the Quran?

Allahma3k.
TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2013 at 4:31am
Originally posted by nothing nothing wrote:

I really don't understand this hadith so I will clarify couple words.
manumission = FREE
Al-Wala        = INHERITANCE
So Barira a slave woman came to Aishah inquiring about her freedom. And Aishah said that she was willing to buy her to be her slave, BUT, Barira's inheritance would be for Aishah.
Yet again her master offered Aishah with different offer. He said he asked Aishah to pay the remaining price, BUT he also want Barira's inheritance.
Than Rosulallah told Aishah just to buy her than free her, BUT in here her inheritance is for Barira herself.

Right.

What is this inheritance all about that Aishah want it and her master also want it? and where that inheritance came from? She was a slave with nothing, she could not even freed herself!!
[/QUOTE]
Salaam Alaikum. Intresting take on it, nothing. What do you think Allah's Book (Laws) is a reference to? Thanks.
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2013 at 1:34am

Salaam Alaikum Abu Loren and thank you for the explanation. To clarify, is Allah's Book (Laws) a reference to the Quran?

Were the Laws in Muhammad's time in book code like the hadiths and he was referring a book of Laws based on the Quran, or is the Book of Allah (Laws) simply the Quran?

Thanks so much!

Allah's Book (Laws) is only a reference to the Holy Qur'an for Muslims. However, the Prophet (SalAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) also testified that the Torah is a book of Law for the Jews.

Narrated `Abdullah bin `Umar:

The Jews came to Allah's Messenger (sallallahu%20alaihi%20wa%20sallam) and told him that a man and a woman from amongst them had committed illegal sexual intercourse. Allah's Messenger (sallallahu%20alaihi%20wa%20sallam) said to them, "What do you find in the Torah (old Testament) about the legal punishment of Ar-Rajm (stoning)?" They replied, (But) we announce their crime and lash them." `Abdullah bin Salam said, "You are telling a lie; Torah contains the order of Rajm." They brought and opened the Torah and one of them solaced his hand on the Verse of Rajm and read the verses preceding and following it. `Abdullah bin Salam said to him, "Lift your hand." When he lifted his hand, the Verse of Rajm was written there. They said, "Muhammad has told the truth; the Torah has the Verse of Rajm. The Prophet (sallallahu%20alaihi%20wa%20sallam) then gave the order that both of them should be stoned to death. (`Abdullah bin `Umar said, "I saw the man leaning over the woman to shelter her from the stones."

As far as my understanding goes, the Arabs in Prophet Muhammad's (SalAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) did not follow any devine Law. In fact they were all idolators and were lawless until the Laws in the Holy Qur'an were revealed.

You're probably confused about the relationship between the Holy Qur'an and the Hadiths. The Holy Qur'an was revealed to Prophet Muhammad (SalAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) through the Archangel Jibril (Alayhi Salaam) therefore this book is directly from God. The Hadiths however are the record of the actions and sayings of Prophet Muhammad (SalAllahu Alahyhi Wa Sallam) as recorded by his companions. In these Hadiths the Holy Prophet (SalAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) explains the meanings of the Holy Qur'an and other things such as how we are to conduct ourselves in this world to receive God's Mercy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic