IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - speaking of mythology  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

speaking of mythology

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: speaking of mythology
    Posted: 27 December 2012 at 8:06pm
Interesting quotes;

"Read myths with the eyes of wonder:
the myths transparent to their universal meaning,
their meaning transparent to its mysterious source." - Joseph Campbell

In the Egyptian Book of the Dead, a religious text written 2000 b.c.
"I am the keeper of the Tablet of Destiny, the volume of the book of things which have happened, and of things which shall be."

Ra was all powerful and his power came from his Secret Name. This gave him the power to create a thing just by calling its name.

Edited by Caringheart - 26 January 2013 at 12:35pm
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2013 at 5:23am
�Myths are about the human struggle to deal with the great passages of time and life�birth, death, marriage, the transitions from childhood to adulthood to old age. They meet a need in the psychological or spiritual nature of humans that has absolutely nothing to do with science. To try to turn a myth into a science, or a science into a myth, is an insult to myths, an insult to religion, and an insult to science. In attempting to do this, (young-earth) creationists have missed the significance, meaning, and sublime nature of myths.� --Michael Shermer

A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2013 at 7:57pm
If you think we are not all connected through mythology read this, and I welcome any thoughts.  I have only just begun and see many other interesting things I plan to read.
Bhavishya Purana signifies a work that contains prophecies regarding the future (Sanskrit: bhaviṣya)
Bhavishya purana (futuristic mythology)(Circa 3000 B.C)

http://www.bhavishyapuran.blogspot.com/

I couldn't help taking note of the word shiva... which I believe is a word that also relates to a part of Jewish traditiion.
also,
he bathed lord Shiva with ganges water...
  Is this not rather reminiscent of the practice of baptism?
mleccas - has a striking resemblance to the word mecca.

I really haven't sorted out what it all means, if it means anything at all, that's why I welcome others comments.
I only see whenever I study any religion that there is an underlying thread of mythology that seems to connect them all.
Also, references to Mahamada and muselmans(I only recently discovered that this word, 'muselman' is the word Ghandi used when referring to muslims)...
and that Mahamada is referred to as a ghost...
and in muslim belief they think Muhammad is the Holy Spirit referred to in the Bible.
and,
"Mahamada(Muhammad) appeared at night in front of king Bhojaraja"
... reminiscent of the midnight ride of Muhammad?
Now I know muslims do not 'eat everything' and they do not do so without ritual.

Continuing with;
http://www.turnonyoursoul.com/jesus/bhavishya_purana.htm

This is particularly intriguing, the fact that it is contained in such early hindu literature... if there is truth in what I am reading.
"... Just as the immovable sun attracts, from all directions, the elements of all living beings, the Lord of the solar region, who is fixed and all-attractive, attracts the hearts of all living creatures. Thus by following rules, speaking truthful words, by mental harmony and by meditation, Oh descendant of Manu, one should worship that immovable Lord'."

This sounds almost like an exact quote from what Muhammad brought...
"After my departure there will arise the ignorant and the crafty, and many things will they ascribe unto Me that I never spake, and many things which I did speak will they withhold, but the day will come when the clouds shall be rolled away, and the Sun of Righteousness shall shine forth with healing in his wings."
It seems Muhammad was exposed to the Essene teachings.

It would seem that all scripture has taken on aspects to fit the culture to which it was given.
I do believe however, that Jesus did teach that belonging is not in the things which we eat, or in the way we wash, but in having a pure spirit.

Have mercy on me, O God,
    according to your steadfast love;
according to your abundant mercy
    blot out my transgressions.
Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,
    and cleanse me from my sin!

For I know my transgressions,
    and my sin is ever before me.
Against you, you only, have I sinned
    and done what is evil in your sight,
so that you may be justified in your words
    and blameless in your judgment.
Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity,
    and in sin did my mother conceive me.
Behold, you delight in truth in the inward being,
    and you teach me wisdom in the secret heart.

Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
    wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
Let me hear joy and gladness;
    let the bones that you have broken rejoice.
Hide your face from my sins,
    and blot out all my iniquities.
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God,
    and renew a right spirit within me. - Psalm 51

So what is the law of belonging to God?
I think the answer is love... loving one another... having a right spirit and a pure heart.
Heart

Edited by Caringheart - 21 January 2013 at 7:23pm
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2013 at 7:03pm
Why so many religions?

http://www.radhanathswamionline.com/insights/religions-god-radhanath-swami-answers/

"Religion means obedience to the law of God for the purpose of developing our love for God.

...we all are part of God and our natural function is to serve him with love."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz8v5hS-jYE

http://www.notjustnotes.ws/buddhasprophecy.htm

there is a prophecy from approximately 500 B.C. of the "Holy One" who would come. One who would lead the people away from the old way, and introduce a new way.

"The Holy one who will keep the world in the future will be like this: In the palm of his hands and in the flat of his feet will be the design of a disk, in his side will be a stab wound; and his forehead will have many marks like scars."

http://www.jubilee-resources.com/articles/buddha-prophesied-jesus
the Buddha stated in writings, that he, the Buddha, was not God, and you would know God  had come among us when you saw a man walking on water.

Edited by Caringheart - 02 February 2013 at 5:16pm
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
nospam001 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nospam001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2013 at 5:59pm

Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

Why so many religions?

Yes. Why, indeed. God could so easily have sent the exact same message to all civilisations but He chose not to, with consequences that seem all too predictable: war & hate all round.

In explaining this fact, several religious thinkers have inferred that undeserved suffering is really the key to God's cosmic master plan. Without so much of it, the universe would fail to deliver what is required. There was no other way, even for God.
God has the right to remain silent. For His advocates, however, each resigned shrug is a missed opportunity to win new converts.
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2013 at 12:52pm
Maybe Abraham was the first to figure out that having one God would put an end to fighting in the family.  The divisions caused by loyalties to differing gods... 'my god is better... more powerful... stronger... (fill in the blank) than your god...'

Maybe Muhammad saw this too, that having only one god would help to put an end to striving among his own people.
al-lah

Edited by Caringheart - 13 February 2013 at 1:03pm
Blessed be God forever
Nur_Ilahi View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nur_Ilahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2013 at 6:26am
I always believe that the God that all religion worship is the same God of the whole universe. We are born to seek Him. We are made to find Him. We are destined to be forever in His Mercy. We cannot run away from this fact. We live in this world under the adminstration of One God, One Creator who designed in such a way that all His servants no matter what colour, what religion, what nationality have an equal opportunity in life.

Some are very lucky to be born having the right clues or information about Him. Some are not. Some even have wrong information about Him. That is why you can see that while some pray to Him directly, some prayed to Him indirectly thru another creation of the Creator - be it a man or a statue. But the love for The Creator is there. We cannot run away from loving Our Creator, because we know that without Him, there is no purpose of living.

I never think like this "'my god is better... more powerful... stronger... (fill in the blank) than your god..." . There is only One God - The God that created the same air for all of us to breathe, The God that created the same earth for us to live, The God that created the same water that we drink and so on and so forth.

For me, those astrayed are those who have less information or knowledge about Him. Alhamdulillah for us Muslims, we have Al-Quran to teach and guide us as to who is Our Creator. And we had The Last Prophet to guide us to Him. And Alhamdulillah (Thank Allah) many many more people who not only use their brain to seive information, but also using their hearts as the BEACON OF TRUTH.

"That is because Allah is the Truth and because He gives life to the dead and because He is over all things competent" Quran 22:6
Ilahi Anta Maksudi, Wa Redhaka Mathlubi - Oh Allah, You are my destination, Your Pleasure is my Intention.
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2013 at 8:38am
Originally posted by Nur_Ilahi Nur_Ilahi wrote:

I never think like this "'my god is better... more powerful... stronger... (fill in the blank) than your god..." . There is only One God - The God that created the same air for all of us to breathe, The God that created the same earth for us to live, The God that created the same water that we drink and so on and so forth.

Greetings Nur_Ilahi,

Yes, that is our belief, but I am addressing mythology from which all religion stems.
If you look back into, and study, history you will find that in the days of polytheism, everyone had their own god which they thought defended and fought for them.  When they won in battles it was because their 'god' was stronger, better.  Having many gods only made it easier for everyone to fight with one another, always believing that their god was going to make them the victor.  Having one God would help to diminish fighting.

Salaam, Smile
Caringheart

Blessed be God forever
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic